PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah Nat'l Park - elevation profile map?

Rain Man
02-27-2007, 22:34
Our daughter Grass asked us to hike the SNP with her this summer as a family outing. So, this evening the Mrs. and I stopped by REI and picked up a National Geographic map of the SNP to start our planning.

Then we noticed it had no elevation profiles, something my wife wanted very much to look at. I told her it didn't have 'em, 'cause the AT through the SNP is absolutely flat and she had nothing to worry about. Oddly, she didn't swallow that line!

What are the elevations like in the SNP? How come the Nat'l Geographic map of the SNP doesn't contain profiles? Where can my lovely wife find a profile map of the SNP?

Also, any advice on hiking the SNP? I assume it's easier hiking than the mountains of GA, NC, and TN we've been on so far.

Thanks in advance.

Rain:sunMan

Bloodroot
02-27-2007, 22:39
I know where you can buy some.....

http://www.patc.net/store/va.htm

Don't know it this will help?

Lilred
02-27-2007, 23:00
. I told her it didn't have 'em, 'cause the AT through the SNP is absolutely flat and she had nothing to worry about. Oddly, she didn't swallow that line!

Funny, I don't find that odd at all......;)

rafe
02-27-2007, 23:04
My 1990 maps of SNP have profiles. Did they stop putting profiles on the newer SNP maps from ATC? That would suck...

D.G.
02-27-2007, 23:15
Maps 9, 10 and 11 published by the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club, Inc. have all of the information you need. They have the map on one side and all manner of information and details on the other. The layout of the elevation profile is weird in that it is printed on the opposite side of the map and so you have to fold the map over along the length of the map to view the map and profile at the same time. REI sells the maps packaged together with a trail guide for the SNP section.

Hikerhead
02-27-2007, 23:26
He's talking about the National Geo maps Terrapin Too, not the ATC maps. The trail is flatter than in GA no doubt but there are still some climbing but the trail has a pretty nice grade to it. But I do know from this past weekend that the trail heading north from rt 33 had two decent climbs to Bear Fence shelter. Saddleback Mtn and then Bald Face. But nothing that two Nashvillians like you couldn't handle. If Grass doesn't still have the maps/profiles that she could photostat and send to you let me know and I'll do it. Now that I think about it, from 1-64 you'll have a little climbing to do too. It's safe to say that from any paved rd you will have a little climbing to do but nothing that will kill ya.

Rain Man
02-28-2007, 00:26
What's wrong with you people?!!! I posted an hour ago, and I've only gotten FIVE responses so far!!!! Let's get the lead out. LOL

Of course I'm joking! I'm amazed that I got so many replies so quickly. I like the post recommending I ask Grass about her old maps. Maybe she does still have them, if she ever did. I'll ask her tonight!

I did look at the "package" of maps and the trail guide book, which REI does sell. However, it was dated 1999 or some such and I thought I'd buy that direct from the ATC to see if there's a more recent version/update.

Personally, I'm hoping to do the SNP in a week. Did the GSMNP in 5 days (four nights). We'll see, as the blind man said.

Thanks, all! (except Lilred, of course!!!) tee hee

Skyline
02-28-2007, 00:40
I would buy directly from the source at www.patc.net. PATC is the local maintaining club that creates and markets the "good" SNP maps and a bunch of others north and south of SNP as well as other trails in the next two westward mountain ranges.

While the AT within SNP is definitely easier than some of the legendary climbs in GA-NC-TN and SW VA, don't assume it is a cakewalk. There is elevation change, including a few ascents/descents that will grab your attention, and there are some rocks and might even be some roots and mud in places. It's one of the nicer parts of the AT, tho, IMHO, unless being fairly close much of the way to Skyline Drive and a few commercial developments is bothersome.

Joshrm78
02-28-2007, 00:51
I try not to spend money on maps if i dont have to.. Saves me money so i can spend it on titanium folding sporks and other yuppie gear.
Couple good places that ussally give out free maps are visitor centers or the park itself. Did you call Shenandoah Nat'l Park Information Line: (540) 999-3500
or try Virgina visitors center 800-847-4882
also i would try the county visitors center that shenandoah natl park is in.

I recently called PA visitors center and tioga county visitors center and got some decent maps for that area.. I cant wait for it to get warmer so i can hit the grand canyon of pa.

Skyline
02-28-2007, 10:02
I try not to spend money on maps if i dont have to.. Saves me money so i can spend it on titanium folding sporks and other yuppie gear.
Couple good places that ussally give out free maps are visitor centers or the park itself. Did you call Shenandoah Nat'l Park Information Line: (540) 999-3500
or try Virgina visitors center 800-847-4882
also i would try the county visitors center that shenandoah natl park is in.

I recently called PA visitors center and tioga county visitors center and got some decent maps for that area.. I cant wait for it to get warmer so i can hit the grand canyon of pa.

The maps they give out for free in SNP and other info centers outside the Park are more suited for tourists in a car on Skyline Drive. The most common one is basically a map of the Drive with various viewpoints, overlooks, etc. There are a few free hiking maps that show popular tourist trails but these do not generally have contour lines and certainly don't have elevation profiles. They may be somewhat useful for the dayhiker going a couple miles from a trailhead.

If one is planning a week on the AT it is easy enough to follow in SNP without maps, but I'd sure want to invest my $3 or less per day in this:

http://www.patc.net/store/PB130.htm

cannonball
02-28-2007, 10:17
Get the 3 section maps of the park. They are very detailed and are great for blue blazing info.
While it is true SNP is easier to hike than the southern states below it, ther is still some elevation changes that can be challenging. I was there last April and living at 30feet above sea level and going there out of hiking shape was not a walk in the park for me.
Also the shelters are either to close or to far from each other.

RiverWarriorPJ
02-28-2007, 10:23
Try this then modify it it for YouR needs..

http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/index.cfm?lat=38.673394&lon=-78.30744&scale=24000&zoom=100&type=1&icon=0&searchscope=dom&CFID=285734&CFTOKEN=65472209&scriptfile=http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/index.cfm&latlontype=DMS

Skyline
02-28-2007, 11:48
Get the 3 section maps of the park. They are very detailed and are great for blue blazing info.
While it is true SNP is easier to hike than the southern states below it, ther is still some elevation changes that can be challenging. I was there last April and living at 30feet above sea level and going there out of hiking shape was not a walk in the park for me.
Also the shelters are either to close or to far from each other.

Good points, especially about the shelters' spacing. You won't get that kind of info in one of the free handouts.

Rain Man
02-28-2007, 11:55
While the AT within SNP is definitely easier than some of the legendary climbs in GA-NC-TN and SW VA, don't assume it is a cakewalk. There is elevation change, including a few ascents/descents that will grab your attention.....

For shame, for shame. Don't say things like this! My wife might read this! Well, okay, she's not a member and never even a guest on WhiteBlaze, but still. LOL Besides, "a few ascents/descents that will grab your attention" just keeps it from being a boring week, right?!

Actually, my wife has done a 15-mile day between the Max Patch area and Deer Park Shelter. I'm proud of her!

Thanks for the PATC info.

Blissful
02-28-2007, 13:10
She'll do fine. SNP is a great place for a nice week long hike. And treat her to lodging at Big Meadows and /or Skyland, along with dinner while Grass is at a shelter. That will get you extra brownie points.

cannonball
02-28-2007, 13:47
I am taking my son on his first extended sec hike at the end of school, third week in may. I think SNP would be great because of all the re-supply and greature comfort oppurtunities. Also the way that deer walk around there like stray dogs is pretty neat.

I was alone in Pinefield hut one eve last year and abear showed up at dark. he left after a few minutes of growling, grunting, and scratching the food pole. I think the food poles are way to close to the shelters. I was pretty scared as all I had for protection from a hungry bear was a buck knife, leki pole, and a rosary.:eek:

Sly
02-28-2007, 14:05
Just check the guidebooks/wingfoots/companion and/or the databook, all have elevation changes. Profile maps are for weanies! :p

Footslogger
02-28-2007, 14:13
Profile maps are for weanies! :p

================================

What's worse is that with all the "smoothing" that goes on in the scaling of the elevation profiles they are of NO use in determining small changes over short distances. Elevation trends with beginning/end elevations at best.

'Slogger

Hikerhead
02-28-2007, 14:26
What's wrong with you people?!!! I posted an hour ago, and I've only gotten FIVE responses so far!!!! Let's get the lead out. LOL

Of course I'm joking! I'm amazed that I got so many replies so quickly. I like the post recommending I ask Grass about her old maps. Maybe she does still have them, if she ever did. I'll ask her tonight!

I did look at the "package" of maps and the trail guide book, which REI does sell. However, it was dated 1999 or some such and I thought I'd buy that direct from the ATC to see if there's a more recent version/update.

Personally, I'm hoping to do the SNP in a week. Did the GSMNP in 5 days (four nights). We'll see, as the blind man said.

Thanks, all! (except Lilred, of course!!!) tee hee

What! A joke! Okay..... there will no longer be dates on any of my pictures. :)

adh24
02-28-2007, 17:07
She'll do fine. SNP is a great place for a nice week long hike. And treat her to lodging at Big Meadows and /or Skyland, along with dinner while Grass is at a shelter. That will get you extra brownie points.

If you really want to unwind after the hike is over. Take her to Once Upon A Mountain B&B http://www.bbonline.com/va/onceuponamtn/ My wife and I did the park this past October and then checked into this place for the weekend. Great setting, owner is super cool, and her breakfasts are goooood.

Lilred
02-28-2007, 18:20
For shame, for shame. Don't say things like this! My wife might read this! Well, okay, she's not a member and never even a guest on WhiteBlaze, but still. LOL Besides, "a few ascents/descents that will grab your attention" just keeps it from being a boring week, right?!

Actually, my wife has done a 15-mile day between the Max Patch area and Deer Park Shelter. I'm proud of her!

Thanks for the PATC info.

and what was that name she called you after that day......????....

Pedaling Fool
02-28-2007, 18:23
I purchased the entire map package of the AT, last year for my thru. A National Geographic (NG) topographic map of GSMNP is included and they do have a elevation profile(EP). However, the EP is useless - absolutely awful.

The folks at NG made a EP, which is about 8" long for the entire 70 mile section and an altitude scale (1,000 - 6,000 feet), which is only 1/2" high. How the hell are you suppose to use that?

Skyline
02-28-2007, 18:50
I purchased the entire map package of the AT, last year for my thru. A National Geographic (NG) topographic map of GSMNP is included and they do have a elevation profile(EP). However, the EP is useless - absolutely awful.

The folks at NG made a EP, which is about 8" long for the entire 70 mile section and an altitude scale (1,000 - 6,000 feet), which is only 1/2" high. How the hell are you suppose to use that?

Agree National Geographic maps are not the greatest. The three PATC maps of the AT, which include all side trails, are nothing like those. They are easier to navigate and have a much more useable EP. They have plenty of details without being hard to read.

Rain Man
02-28-2007, 18:56
and what was that name she called you after that day......????....

Oh, "Darlin'," "Honey Bun," "Sweetie Pie," and the like! Of course, you need to know that I had reservations for one of the hot spring/hot tubs the next day, not to mention reservations at the Mountain Magnolia B&B both for a room and a nice anniversary dinner in front of the fireplace!

I may look dumb, but I ain't no dummy!

P.S. Speaking of not being a dummy, did you notice I didn't mention what she was calling me on that black trail that November night the last hour or so before we got to Deer Park Shelter?!!! LOL

Spork
02-28-2007, 18:58
I own the 3 ATC map set of SNP as well as the National Geographic map and prefer the latter as it actually covers the whole park in a single map with good scale. While it doesn't have elevation profiles it IS a topo map which shows elevation changes. However, If you are only seeking an elevation profile to go with your map you can simply get the PATC "Elevation Profile of the AT" which show JUST the trail profile from Rockfish Gap to Pine Grove Furnace PA here: http://www.patc.net/store/PA300.htm. Very inexpensive at $2.20 for members/$2.75 non-members and very lightweight (< 1oz) since it's only 7" high and simply folds out accordion style. It's a smaller scale than the ATC maps so the elevations don't really appear as dramatic but at least it shows the ups and downs...

Pedaling Fool
02-28-2007, 19:26
I own the 3 ATC map set of SNP as well as the National Geographic map and prefer the latter as it actually covers the whole park in a single map with good scale. While it doesn't have elevation profiles it IS a topo map which shows elevation changes. However, If you are only seeking an elevation profile to go with your map you can simply get the PATC "Elevation Profile of the AT" which show JUST the trail profile from Rockfish Gap to Pine Grove Furnace PA here: http://www.patc.net/store/PA300.htm. Very inexpensive at $2.20 for members/$2.75 non-members and very lightweight (< 1oz) since it's only 7" high and simply folds out accordion style. It's a smaller scale than the ATC maps so the elevations don't really appear as dramatic but at least it shows the ups and downs...
I'll have to check it out. Speaking of topo map features the contour lines on the GSMNP map are 50' increments, I think it would be better to have 100' contour lines, but it's far better than the AT maps for Georgia/NC where the contour lines represent 40'; that's just crazy given the steep ascents/descents in that region. It's so tough to find the perfect map.

Spork
02-28-2007, 20:05
I'll have to check it out. Speaking of topo map features the contour lines on the GSMNP map are 50' increments, I think it would be better to have 100' contour lines, but it's far better than the AT maps for Georgia/NC where the contour lines represent 40'; that's just crazy given the steep ascents/descents in that region. It's so tough to find the perfect map.

Agreed, though I have to say that due to the combination of colors, scale and contour intervals I can REALLY "see" the terrain on this map - which is probably why I like it so much. I remember a scout master many years ago telling me that as I became more familiar with topo maps and terrain countours I would begin to visualize the landscape in 3D before I actually saw it. Seems the old Jedi was right... "Use the Force, Spork!":dance

Rain Man
02-28-2007, 21:58
...If you are only seeking an elevation profile to go with your map you can simply get the PATC "Elevation Profile of the AT" which show JUST the trail profile from Rockfish Gap to Pine Grove Furnace PA here: http://www.patc.net/store/PA300.htm. Very inexpensive at $2.20 for members/$2.75 non-members ...

GREAT! I just went to the site and ordered one. THANKS.

Spork
03-01-2007, 08:07
GREAT! I just went to the site and ordered one. THANKS.

No problem. Here's to hoping the trail miles feel as easy on your legs as they look on this profile!! (Look honey, it's only a half-inch to the top of the mountain!):D Spork

Rain Man
03-01-2007, 09:09
(Look honey, it's only a half-inch to the top of the mountain!):D Spork

Sadly, she has learned better than that!!! LOL

Of course, what she did last time was have me carry her pack that half-inch!!! YIKES!!!

Rain Man
07-19-2007, 09:32
Well, Grass (my daughter) and Stitch (my Honey) and I leave for Waynesboro, VA today. We'll be hitting the Shenandoah National Park tomorrow at Rockfish Gap and plan to take seven days to hike the AT through the Park, if things go well. Stitch will be our vehicle support person.

Will post photos when we return. Y'all have fun sitting at your keyboards while we're out hiking (something I'm just as guilty of)! ~wink~

Ewker
07-19-2007, 10:00
Rain Man, have a great time in the SNP. BTW I am finished with the book you let me borrow so I need to get it back to you.

Nightwalker
07-19-2007, 16:17

Raymond,

I have the three SNP maps and the two Northern VA maps from the ATC that were accidental duplicates of some that I had already bought. They're still in the un-opened envelope from the ATC and I want to sell them for 30 bucks, postage included. If you or anyone else is interested, let me know.

Better be quick, though, as I'm leaving for VA in the AM. :)

Cookerhiker
07-19-2007, 20:52
Well, Grass (my daughter) and Stitch (my Honey) and I leave for Waynesboro, VA today. We'll be hitting the Shenandoah National Park tomorrow at Rockfish Gap and plan to take seven days to hike the AT through the Park, if things go well. Stitch will be our vehicle support person.

Will post photos when we return. Y'all have fun sitting at your keyboards while we're out hiking (something I'm just as guilty of)! ~wink~

Let me apologize in advance. I haven't weed-wacked the south side of HighTop Mountain yet and I won't get there until Tuesday the 24th which is after you're already through so you'll find the Trail tight from HighTop Shelter to the summit of HighTop mountain.

Have a good hike!