PDA

View Full Version : Parking @ Roan Mountain

barefoot
02-27-2007, 23:07
I'm planning on spending a week between Roan Mountain and Wautuga Dam. Can you park overnight in the fee area of roan Mountain or only down by the gate parking lot?

RAT
02-28-2007, 00:50
I have parked at Carvers gap many times for a few days with no issues. I am not sure about the fee area at top, but I dont see why not, but remember its $2 per day. I always get dropped off so I wont have to worry about my vehicle. I am sure there are plenty of people in the tri cities area willing to do this for you.

RAT

TREE-HUGGER
02-28-2007, 07:55
You dont want to leave your car parked ungaurded anywhere around Roan Mountain. That area has been famous for years for cars being broken into at multiple locations, even while people were out doing maintenance on the trail. I found some folks a couple years ago who have a car repair business in Roan, cant remember there name but the town is small, you can find them, and they would lock my car inside their repair garage because they did not want to leave it outside. The folks in that area are rough but it is slowly changing. I can remember wing foots book telling us in 1992 to tread lightly as we travelled thru because of locals hanging fish hooks across the trail at eye level and a shelter was burned because of a relo dispute. They still throw huge amounts of home bags of trash off the side of the road onto the trail on the north side of 19. On the other hand Carvers Gap to 19 is in my top 2 favorite sections of the entire trail.

Gaiter
02-28-2007, 10:35
you can park @ mountain harbour b&b for a small fee, and they offer shuttles, another small fee. they are on 19e, but your car will be much safer on their property.

barefoot
02-28-2007, 10:41
I'm taking a youth group so I would have multiple cars. I was thinking the cars would be safer up in the fee area rather than right on the road @ Carvers Gap. I can cover the parking fee.

orangebug
02-28-2007, 10:52
Well, you might want to check out whether the gate is unlocked to the upper level. I believe it is closed out of season now.

barefoot
02-28-2007, 22:27
The trip is in June. So I assume the park area would be open.

RAT
02-28-2007, 22:48
Yeah it will be open sometime late April or early May.

RAT