PDA

View Full Version : I need some sort of guide book, not sure what to get.

OntheRoad
02-28-2007, 17:11
As of now I don't have even the slightest idea of how to get off of the trail and go into towns to resupply. I need a book that lets me know when to get off the trail to go to certain towns. I also need to know the distance between the trail towns so I know how much food to take. I am not looking for an expensive book with detailed maps of every inch of the AT. I just want to know where I need to get off of the trail and which way I need to go in order to reach town. What should I buy that will solve this problem?

Lone Wolf
02-28-2007, 17:16
As of now I don't have even the slightest idea of how to get off of the trail and go into towns to resupply. I need a book that lets me know when to get off the trail to go to certain towns. I also need to know the distance between the trail towns so I know how much food to take. I am not looking for an expensive book with detailed maps of every inch of the AT. I just want to know where I need to get off of the trail and which way I need to go in order to reach town. What should I buy that will solve this problem?

go to www.atctrailstore.org/ click on books and maps and buy the AT Data Book and The Companion.

The Solemates
02-28-2007, 17:18
companion at www.alhda.org. you can also download it for free.

or wingfoot's guidebook.

or the databook by the atc. atconf.org

trail clubs also put out guidebooks by state

EarlyBird2007
02-28-2007, 17:21
Have you looked at Baltimore Jack's Resupply Guide, available right here on this site FOR FREE. IMHO, it is all you need. He just updated it for 2007. Of course, you also should get one of the 2 AT Guides, either Wingfoot's or the ALDHA guide.

Jack Tarlin
02-28-2007, 19:39
Thanx for the kind words, but my re-supply article is definitely NOT all you need! It is meant to supplement the two main hiker guidebooks, and not replace them.

On the Road: What the other folks have told you is correct: There are two main guideboks that around 99% of long-distance hikers use each year. One is called the Thru-Hiker's Companion, and the other is the Thru-Hiker's Handbook. Each is updated every year, and the two works are very similar.

You can order the Companion (and other useful things, like maps) at the Ultimate Trail Store section of the ATC website:

www.appalachiantrail.org

The Handbook can be ordered at www.trailplace.com

You might also find my Re-Supply article helpful to you as I've updated it this year to give lots of information on approximate distances between towns and re-supply points (i.e how long it'll take the typical hiker to cover particular stretches of the Trail) and this information is not found in either of the two books mentioned above.

TJ aka Teej
02-28-2007, 19:59
www.alhda.org

Try: www.aldha.org

hopefulhiker
02-28-2007, 20:04
I used Wingfoot's book and really liked it.. I ripped out the pages and maildropped sections that I needed