PDA

View Full Version : Food without a hearter?

nuwatiman
02-28-2007, 17:19
Does anybody have any hints on what kinda food i should take if i am not taking a heater with me on the trail?

Thanks
Nuwatiman:-?

Lone Wolf
02-28-2007, 17:21
you need a stove to cook with.

rhjanes
02-28-2007, 17:23
Whats a "hearter"?? :confused: :-? :eek:

Something a wearwolf wants? :D

Oh... Anything that doesn't have to be cooked? GORP. Pop-tarts, PB, cereals, pita. Do some searches here and maybe on Trailjournals. I remember reading about people trying this. They eat up in towns. Spend only about 3 or 4 days on trail. What WILL get you in dutch with other hikers, is not having a stove, but then mooching hot food from others or asking to cook using theirs.
Oh....and you can camp-fire cook also....

EarlyBird2007
02-28-2007, 17:27
Does anybody have any hints on what kinda food i should take if i am not taking a heater with me on the trail?

Thanks
Nuwatiman:-?Unless, you REALLY know what you are doing, I wouldn't go that way. There are people who do the trail with just Power Bars, Gorp, etc., but I think they are nuts.:)

nuwatiman
02-28-2007, 17:33
I ment a stove sorry! I've gone on hikes before with out stove, but not a hike as long as the AT. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas?

Lone Wolf
02-28-2007, 17:37
MSR Pocketrocket cannister stove

mweinstone
02-28-2007, 17:39
a heaters' a gun. you should watch more old movies. once when spock and kirk whent back in time to old chicago, they had to say heaters instead of weapon or they would have been found out. and i can cook good on a heater. i scored 248 in the marines in boot camp with a rifle.theres really only one thing you can bring when your not bringin your heater hiking,... your sword.

Kaptain Kangaroo
02-28-2007, 17:40
I ditched my stove in MA & hiked the rest of the trail eating cold food. Didn't really miss the hot food once the weather was warmer. I only used the stove for dinner anyway. I mostly ate uncooked Ramen noodles. I actually quite like them raw. Break them up into small pieces & then mix with plenty of olive oil & some kind of seasoning powder (lots of different types available in small packets in grocery stores).

Probably not a good solution for everyone though..............

Maybe put a stove in a bounce box so you can pick it up if you get sick of cold food. If cost is a problem, make a soda can stove.

Cheers,

kaptain Kangaroo

Frolicking Dinosaurs
02-28-2007, 17:47
While a few people do go without stoves, most don't do this very long. It is really hard to stay well nurished and be happy with the limited selection of uncooked foods.

If I were you, I'd go ahead and make a soda can (alcohol) stove - they are very light (like 1 - 2 ozs) and you can carry the denatured alcohol fuel in a plastic soda bottle. This will enable you to switch back and forth between cooked and uncooked food at will with little weight penalty.

sloopjonboswell
02-28-2007, 18:45
in the spirit of hobo style, what about cooking in a 12 oz tin can. seems like ive heard of health risks...

1azarus
02-28-2007, 18:45
yes, Frolicking Dinosaur(s), yes!!!!!

mweinstone
02-28-2007, 19:45
im going to show you how i would do without stove. wake up in feb before dark first day of thru hike. amacalola. eat breakfast consisting of powder milk, shredded wheat, sugar, dehydrated bannana chips ,mini marshmallows and suntea made in my sleeping bag overnight. its 98 degrees and has plenty of caffene. pack and walk while snacking on jerky and nuts and chocolate and hard candy . stop for lunch of bagles with pbj and marshmallows and tuna on tortilla. with alot of orange fruit crystles.and on i walk till dark snacking on seeds and grapenuts and wheatgerm and crackers and cookies. then at camp i start my feast with pepperonie and cheese bagles , a milkshake of milk,coco,vanilla and sugar. into the shake goes nutritional brewers yeast or spirulina or when these are scarce, wheat germ and or bannana chips crunched up. and sticks of butter and sliced bread to munch in the faces of the stove people. thats how i would do it. but im not. cause i like heaters.

Phil1959
02-28-2007, 20:06
Bought the pocket rocket! Cannnot see why a person would not at least buy that.Considered not having a stove,but when I saw that,I said I gotta get this thing.Coffee in the morning and a bowl of chile at night and the damn thing only weighs 3 ounces! This wolf guy is smart!

hopefulhiker
02-28-2007, 20:15
you can carry an esbit stove for very little weight.. I would definetely take some kind of heat source and a way to heat water.. Sometimes there will be a campfire. Anyway sometimes it will be so cold that you will really appreciate a hot cup of cocoa or tea or anything! You can actually feel it go down your gullet it is so cold sometimes.... I would say over half the hikers carry alcohol but carry what you want even if it is esbit tablets..

See the threads on stoves here.. they are very good...

Phil1959
02-28-2007, 20:16
So, are you telling me mweinstone that instead of nuts and seeds I am better off with meatballs and pepperoni? Me italian,so I agree,but where in the damn south where me find good italian food?

Gray Blazer
02-28-2007, 20:32
Get the pocket rocket. I use a oversize coffee cup to cook my ramens in and use it for hot chocolate in the morning. It's fast. It's lite. It's worth it. I wipe it clean with alcohol wipes (they can come in handy for wiping the grunge off of you after a hot day). Sandwiches are good cold food. Matt, your grammar and spelling got rilly guud all of a suddden. Glad to see you haven't figured out the shift key yet.

nuwatiman
03-01-2007, 10:57
Can somebody tell me where i can find out how make the soda can stove?

rhjanes
03-01-2007, 11:42
cat food style
http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/catstove.shtml

pepsi can style

http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/pepsistove.shtml