PDA

View Full Version : Another Lightweight/Calorie Dense Non-Cook Food

Ratfunk
02-28-2007, 19:06
Not that it's a new thing, but I just re-discovered Sesame Honey Crunch after not eating the stuff for many years.

Here's a source, http://www.nutsonline.com/seedsspices/sesame-crunch.html but you should be able to find it in most asian markets in the dry goods section.

I never realized how calorie dense this product is.
It's nearly 180 calories per ounce! :banana

On top of that, it's quite packable. If you're carrying or storing it for a long time, it helps to put a small sheet of way paper between the slabs to prevent sticking.

It's $3.99 per pound for this at my local market.

'Funk :sun

stickman
02-28-2007, 20:21
I love the stuff! Thanks for the calorie info.

Stickman

Ratfunk
03-01-2007, 08:34
yes, but how much volume does an ounce take up?
My math says it's 84 calories ped cubic inch. Here is how I come up with that;

Four bars (stacked two high) is 1"x3"x2.5" which equals 7.5 cubic inches.

Four bars weigh 3.5 oz.

3.5 oz equalls 630 calories

Divide 630 by 7.5, and that gives you 84 calories per cubic inches.

Not too shabby for a truely palatable foodstuff!

'Funk:sun

mikew
03-07-2007, 14:12
I just tried the seasame cakes. They are great. I also found peanut butter cakes while at the asian market. Both are calorie dense. Many great meal options to be found there. Thanks for pointing me in this direction.

Spock
03-07-2007, 15:02
The sesame crunch is about the same thing as halvah, available in plain and chocolate in the Kosher section of most grocery stores. I believe it has the same calorie density: crushed sesame seeds bound with egg white, honey and flavoring into a durable bar. You can live on the stuff.

Brrrb Oregon
03-08-2007, 12:59
What's the shelf life? I'm guessing that it is extremely long, if commercially packaged, but is there something similar that can be made at home that doesn't go rancid quickly? Does the bulk commercial product last a long time? Does the high sugar content keep the sesame seeds fresh for a longer time?

Fiddleback
03-08-2007, 21:08
If you make it yourself using pure honey (i.e., not 'cooked' and filtered) the shelf life should be quite long. Pure honey does not spoil or, at the very least, resists spoiling. Futher, it has some antibiotic properties which could prevent the other ingredients from spoiling.

However, I would expect commercial products to use cooked honey and all those good properties are then lost.

FB

Brrrb Oregon
03-09-2007, 00:47
If you make it yourself using pure honey (i.e., not 'cooked' and filtered) the shelf life should be quite long. Pure honey does not spoil or, at the very least, resists spoiling. Futher, it has some antibiotic properties which could prevent the other ingredients from spoiling.

However, I would expect commercial products to use cooked honey and all those good properties are then lost.

FB

I was actually more concerned about the sesame seeds. Honey has such a high concentration of sugar that it is dehydrating....there isn't enough available water for most microbes to survive (spores of botulism being an exception, hence why it is not recommended for infants or hummingbirds). Even corn syrup and table sugar have that dehydrating property, if the concentration is high enough. OTOH, I think raw honey has a bit of naturally-occurring hydrogen peroxide in it, too.

The sesame seeds, on the other hand, might be a horse of a different color. Those go rancid fairly easily, in my experience. I just wondered if the honey was enough to keep them fresh for a very long time.