PDA

View Full Version : Aquamira Help?

Pilsnerquest
02-28-2007, 22:33
I was considering what to use for my water on the trail, have been using a Pur Hiker, and saw mention of Aqua Mira. On the Campmor web site it notes "Note: To remove Giardia and Cryptosporidium pathogens, use (#25674) Aquamira™ water bottle and filter kit."

What other components are people using for their water, if any, along with the Aquamira drops?

Pilsnerquest

Bloodroot
02-28-2007, 22:37
:welcome to Whiteblaze! I personally don't use any of the drops as they add an unnatural taste. When I do filter, I use a kataydin filter.

jodestick
02-28-2007, 23:24
i've been using aqua mira drops for several years. i was pretty hesitant, but when i signed up for NOLS (national outdoor leadership school) they made me try it. there was NO bad taste, unlike other chemical treatments i have tried. it was GREAT! now i don't use anything other than the drops......i am not aware of any other "component" that you would need. i have used these drops many, many times over the past 2 years. i am a BIG fan of aqua mira!!!

Trailwind
02-28-2007, 23:32
Several years ago I was very skeptical that a couple of drops could be as good as a purifier. Then the purifiers were banned (purifier = filter with chemical treatment of the filter to kill what isn't filtered) and I started researching my options. After reading WAY too many technical articles written by scientists I understood that Aqua Mira was the method most likely to protect me. Heck, chlorine dioxide like that made when you mix the Aqua Mira drops is what many municipal water treatment facilities use for the public drinking water. I don't just scoop in water with lots of floating debris because the debris harbor virus, bacteria and other organisms, but I don't use a filter either. If I don't have access to water without floaties I use a bandana to prefilter the water. I hold the bandana over the opening of my water container and pour the water through it, then treat it with Aqua Mira. I have not noticed any taste when my water has been treated with Aqua Mira, nor has anyone that I have shared with. I can't say the same for most of the other chemical treatment methods since they use Iodine. My research indicated that Iodine did not kill as many things as the chlorine dioxide. A big thumbs up for Aqua Mira from me.

PJ 2005
03-01-2007, 10:07
*cough* bleach

Fiddleback
03-01-2007, 10:51
Interestingly, chlorine dioxide is often used to eliminate unwanted tastes and odors from water. Sodium hypochlorite, the common component of bleach, is not the same as chlorine dioxide and is not considered to be as effective in killing the baddies. There is some thought that the different molecular structure of chlorine dioxide allows it to more effectively penetrate the shells of cysts such as giardia and crypto.

FB

Lyle
03-01-2007, 11:56
I've used Iodine tablets, filters and Aqua Mira. Currently I use Aqua Mira when I treat (most of the time) for the following reasons:

Iodine taste, even when Vitamin C is used. I do miss the beautiful, bright blue color you got when rinsing your oatmeal cup in the morning. :)

Filters are heavy, bulky and very difficult to assure that you don't cross contaminate input and output hoses when packing everyday. I don't believe just keeping the output hose in a ziplock bag is sufficient. No scientific data to back up this reservation.

Aqua Mira is light, compact and no more complicated than filtering. As far as I'm concerned, there is no offensive odor or flavor.

Often times I don't bother to treat the water. If the source is a piped or a pristine looking spring, I drink it straight. Yes, I know, you can't tell by looking, but you can make an educated guess by the looks and circumstances of each source. Most of the agencies are practicing CYA policy when the insist that ALL water sources must be treated.

I firmly buy into the theory that most intestinal illnesses related to hiking are much more likely the result of inadequate hygeine than they are to contaminated water sources.

If you want to be most assured of being safe, filter and treat your water (none of the practical filters on the market protect from viruses unless they include an Iodine/chemical treatment). Also, WASH YOUR HANDS often, and clean and sanitize all your cooking/eating utinsels after every use. Counting on the next meal's boiling water to protect you from grease left in your cooking pot is folly. The boiling water will destroy the organisms, but will not remove all the toxins that they produced while in your pack.

I personally do not practice what I preach here in it's entirety. But I am careful about hand washing, which I believe is most important. Everyone else needs to decide for themselves what level of risk they are willing to accept.

Lyle

Lyle
03-01-2007, 12:21
Just wanted to add:

If you choose to use a filter, make sure that it has an "absolute" pore size of 0.2 microns or smaller. This will filter out 100% of organisms that are larger than 0.2 microns (Giardia, Cryptosporidium, and most other disease causing bacteria)

Avoid filters that state they have a "nominal" pore size of 0.2 microns. This means that they will only filter out 90% of the organisms that are 0.2 microns or larger.

Some Viruses are as small as 0.01 microns - much to small to be filtered out by any backcountry filter available today.

Lyle

RockStar
03-01-2007, 12:23
AquaMira just tastes like good TapWater. I used it for some water that was VERY questionable and doubled up the amount like suggested by the directions. Had no problems. The water was the color of urine and had floaties b/c I was too thirsty to "filter" with my bandana.

Some ppl say it "doesn't kill Giardi" or other stuff but, i haven't heard of any hiker getting sick from anything that uses it. So Until they do, Ill keep using it.

V8
03-01-2007, 12:33
A coffee filter makes a good prefilter for sludgy water - I also carry a cut off bottom of an old platypus to use as a scoop when source is shallow or otherwise hard to get into the bottle or other platypus. Both items fold tiny and ride along unnoticed if I don't need them.

EarlyBird2007
03-01-2007, 12:38
I'm no scientist, but I have read several places that tests indicate that Aqua Mira DOES kill Giardia and Cryptosporidium. Here's a link to one article http://www.backpacker.com/gear/article/0,1023,1399,00.html

I have heard that the reason Aqua Mira doesn't claim to kill them is that their lawyers are afraid they will be sued if they make such a warranty and someone gets sick.

Damn Lawyers!! :mad: [p.s., don't tell anyone, but I am one!!]

Trailwind
03-01-2007, 13:20
I failed to mention in my earlier post that you need to wait the full time indicated by Aqua Mira, Aqua Pure (Iodine based methods), or pretty much any of the purification methods before you add gatorade, lemonade powder, etc. The acids in the powders counteract the chemicals in the purifier and it does nothing to purify the water. I was on the trail a few years ago and saw a group putting in the lemonade before they added their Aqua Pure...hope the water was clean!!

Pilsnerquest
03-01-2007, 14:38
Thanks for the welcome and the replies. Looks like I'll go with the Aquamira for the hike.

Thanks again all,
Pilsnerquest

hammock engineer
03-01-2007, 15:03
I have just Aquamira in southern OH and in KY. Not the cleanest water, clear to start with though. I haven't got sick yet. I lot of times I add 14 drops instead of 7 per the directions for cold or suspect water per liter. A little more clorine taste than I would like, but still less than my good old Cincinasty water.

Johnny Swank
03-01-2007, 16:18
For truly questionable H20, you can either double on on the amt. of drop or the dwell time if you're worried. Using half the treatment for any water that going to sit around overnight will save you some $ if you treat religiously.

Me? I'm a H20 agnostic. Do as I say and not as I do.

SteveJ
03-01-2007, 16:26
I'm no scientist, but I have read several places that tests indicate that Aqua Mira DOES kill Giardia and Cryptosporidium. Here's a link to one article http://www.backpacker.com/gear/article/0,1023,1399,00.html

I have heard that the reason Aqua Mira doesn't claim to kill them is that their lawyers are afraid they will be sued if they make such a warranty and someone gets sick.

Damn Lawyers!! :mad: [p.s., don't tell anyone, but I am one!!]

there was recently a pretty lengthy discussion of water treatment over on the yahoo backpackinglight list. Someone posted this research, conducted by the US army - I don't think I've seen it reference on WB:

http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/wpd/CompareDevices.aspx

here, they list AM as not being effective against cryptosporidium. If you go to the document where they discuss AM:

http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/WPD/WPDSHARE/143/AddInfo_McNettAquaMira.pdf

they do say that if you treat for a minimum of 3 hrs (which is consistent w/ AM instructions), it would be considered effective....

I use AM, and don't wait for 3 hrs to drink...guess I'm taking my chances, but I do consider water source and clarity as I'm collecting and treating...

Trailwind
03-01-2007, 18:04
there was recently a pretty lengthy discussion of water treatment over on the yahoo backpackinglight list.
If memory serves me the best information I found was at backpackinglight and had been written by Dr. Ryan Jordan. It's been several years so forgive if I have the name wrong. Positive about the first name...not the last.

Fiddleback
03-01-2007, 21:07
You got the name correct...and there's been excellent articles from BackpackingLight both online and in their print magazine.

As for filters not doing viruses...I've read that's the case now but is it 100%? Around '82 I bought a Katydyn that I'm sure was listed as filtering polio and other viruses. It was also heavy and a workout to pump and I eventually sold it and replaced it with a lighter, easier, but less efficacious MSR Sweetwater. I would imagine that filter model might still be available.

Now, I'm really into the convenience and immediate gratification of a Bota filter bottle while on the trail and chlorine dioxide treatments while in camp. And there's weight savings over the SweetWater to boot...

But the more I read about UV treatment and the SteriPen...:-?
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/steripen_adventurer_review.html?m=002213G9dE_qEjOg 1s-D6yM2FJg (subscription required)

http://www.hydro-photon.com/testing.html

FB

skyhiker2
03-01-2007, 21:24
MSR Sweet water filter... love it... F - the bleach....

Fiddleback
03-01-2007, 23:45
What bleach?

Trailwind
03-02-2007, 01:17
As for filters not doing viruses...I've read that's the case now but is it 100%? Around '82 I bought a Katydyn that I'm sure was listed as filtering polio and other viruses. It was also heavy and a workout to pump and I eventually sold it and replaced it with a lighter, easier, but less efficacious MSR Sweetwater. I would imagine that filter model might still be available.
It's been a few years but the US govt made the manufacturers take the filters off of the market that also had the chemical treatment to purify the water. Back in the timeframe you bought your Katadyn it would have been a purifier and done both. I had a PUR that did the same. Sometime around 2001 (give or take a year or two) the rules changed and you couldn't even get replacement filters for a purifier. With PUR I could only get a filter replacement...without the benefits of purifying. At the time I knew why the government had them removed...but my memory fails to recall it now. Even if they were still available I would use Aqua Mira because of the weight savings.

Footslogger
03-02-2007, 09:50
It's been a few years but the US govt made the manufacturers take the filters off of the market that also had the chemical treatment to purify the water. Back in the timeframe you bought your Katadyn it would have been a purifier and done both. I had a PUR that did the same. Sometime around 2001 (give or take a year or two) the rules changed and you couldn't even get replacement filters for a purifier. With PUR I could only get a filter replacement...without the benefits of purifying. At the time I knew why the government had them removed...but my memory fails to recall it now. Even if they were still available I would use Aqua Mira because of the weight savings.

=====================================

Remember that. There was a model made by PUR (now Katadyn) called the "Voyager". Same size mechanism as the "Hiker" model but a different cartridge that was impregnated with some form of purification agent ?? The Voyager cartridges were taken off the market and all you could get (and still can today) is the Hiker.

'Slogger

1azarus
03-02-2007, 10:30
i also love to use aquamira -- have found that if i take a really really really small plastic dropper bottle and cap with the dropper part removed, when i stop to get water in my plastic soda bottles i fill the bottles with water, add the part A and B drops to the small dropper bottle to mix, and keep walking. five minutes later i just dump the mixed aqua mira into the soda bottles. when its cold out, this keeps me from having to sit (and get cold) for the five minute mix time.

Chache
03-02-2007, 10:55
there was recently a pretty lengthy discussion of water treatment over on the yahoo backpackinglight list. Someone posted this research, conducted by the US army - I don't think I've seen it reference on WB:

http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/wpd/CompareDevices.aspx

here, they list AM as not being effective against cryptosporidium. If you go to the document where they discuss AM:

http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/WPD/WPDSHARE/143/AddInfo_McNettAquaMira.pdf

they do say that if you treat for a minimum of 3 hrs (which is consistent w/ AM instructions), it would be considered effective....

I use AM, and don't wait for 3 hrs to drink...guess I'm taking my chances, but I do consider water source and clarity as I'm collecting and treating...
Looks like micro pur is the best and lightest way to go according to that gov. link. I got some a year ago as a back up if my msr mini works failed. it never did so i can't say how well it works or tastes. I would like to hear from some one who has.:-?

Lyle
03-02-2007, 11:24
Looks like micro pur is the best and lightest way to go according to that gov. link. I got some a year ago as a back up if my msr mini works failed. it never did so i can't say how well it works or tastes. I would like to hear from some one who has.:-?

Have never tried it, but did you notice the "minimum 4 hour wait time". In hot weather your water will be hot before you get a chance to drink it. Might as well boil it and not have any chemical additives. Just my $.02 worth.

dscostu
03-02-2007, 11:41
I didn't see this mentioned above... There are now Aquamira pills. They are really lightweight and you don't have to mix anymore! Has anyone used these?

Lyle
03-02-2007, 11:52
I didn't see this mentioned above... There are now Aquamira pills. They are really lightweight and you don't have to mix anymore! Has anyone used these?

Click the Advantages/Disadvantages link for MicroPur.

Footslogger
03-02-2007, 12:00
I carry the MicroPur tablets and use them for my "overnight" water treatment. Spin off benefit is that they kill the bugs growing in your water container(s) too. I collect water in a 4 Liter Platy when I get into camp. Use some for dinner but that gets boiled. Then I treat what's left with the Micropure. Get up the next morning and I've got enough treated water for breakfast and my initial carrying load.

For daytime use it's AquaMira for me (the 2 part liquid)

'Slogger

Chache
03-02-2007, 18:12
Have never tried it, but did you notice the "minimum 4 hour wait time". In hot weather your water will be hot before you get a chance to drink it. Might as well boil it and not have any chemical additives. Just my $.02 worth.
yes but it rated to kill more stuff than any other tablet. you could put your existing water into a empty naglene bottle then purify the water in your bladder bag.

Chache
03-02-2007, 18:24
Katadyn Micropur MP1 Purification Tablets Microorganisms Killed Contact Time Requied Contact Time Requied EPA Water Test #1
(typical stream/lake: clear, 68°F) EPA Water Test #2
(Worst Case: very dirty, 38°F) Bacteria15 Minutes15 MinutesVirus15 Minutes15 MinutesCysts30 Minutes4 Hours

Chache
03-02-2007, 18:29
Katadyn Micropur MP1 Purification Tablets Microorganisms Killed Contact Time Requied Contact Time Requied EPA Water Test #1
(typical stream/lake: clear, 68°F) EPA Water Test #2
(Worst Case: very dirty, 38°F) Bacteria15 Minutes15 MinutesVirus15 Minutes15 MinutesCysts30 Minutes4 Hours
sorry i tried to cut and paste this. Basically what it shows is that it kills all the stuff Aqua Mir does in the same amount of time. Its that it goes on to kill cysts that aqua mir doesn't in 4 hours

Jack Tarlin
03-02-2007, 18:35
My two cents on water purification if you go without a filter:

*I think "Polar Pure" is just as effective as AquaMira.
*Aqua Mira is not available everywhere, and often "runs out" at a store.
*Your little bottle of Polar Pure will cost about 13 bucks and will last your
entire trip. One will replace Aqua Mira at least 6 or 7 times and will probably
spend more than $100.00 on the product over the length of a thru-hike.
*Water "pills" are a good emergency back-up, but they can be extremely
expensive as a water treatment method: One little bottle of pills generally
costs around 6 bucks for fifty quarts. If one treats, say, 6 quarts a day on
a thru-hike, and treats water for 150 days (I'm minusing town time or the
times one is drinking tap water), that's around 900 pills. At 6 bucks per 50
pills it means you're gonna spend over 100 bucks on the pills over the
course of a trip! I'd rather spend $12.99 once on the Polar Pure and be
done with it.

Chache
03-02-2007, 18:51
My two cents on water purification if you go without a filter:

*I think "Polar Pure" is just as effective as AquaMira.
*Aqua Mira is not available everywhere, and often "runs out" at a store.
*Your little bottle of Polar Pure will cost about 13 bucks and will last your
entire trip. One will replace Aqua Mira at least 6 or 7 times and will probably
spend more than $100.00 on the product over the length of a thru-hike.
*Water "pills" are a good emergency back-up, but they can be extremely
expensive as a water treatment method: One little bottle of pills generally
costs around 6 bucks for fifty quarts. If one treats, say, 6 quarts a day on
a thru-hike, and treats water for 150 days (I'm minusing town time or the
times one is drinking tap water), that's around 900 pills. At 6 bucks per 50
pills it means you're gonna spend over 100 bucks on the pills over the
course of a trip! I'd rather spend $12.99 once on the Polar Pure and be
done with it.
Polar Equipment, Inc. – Polar Pure Water Disinfectant

Advantages

Although device-specific testing data using the USEPA Guide Standard and Protocol for Testing Microbiological Water Purifiers is not available, Polar Pure is expected to consistently provide adequate protection from bacteria and viruses when used as directed.
Very small and lightweight device capable of treating up to 2000 L.
Simple and inexpensive to use.
No adverse health effects expected in healthy adults with no iodine sensitivity.Disadvantages

Not effective against Cryptosporidium oocysts. Additional treatment is necessary.
Not consistently effective against Giardia cysts. Recommend increased wait times (90-120 minutes) and dosage (8 mg/L) to provide adequate protection from Giardia cysts.
Not recommended for use by pregnant women or people with iodine sensitivity.
Does not remove or reduce particulate matter and can impart color and medicinal taste.
Requires user subjectivity with respect to evaluating cloudiness (turbidity) and temperature.

Chache
03-02-2007, 18:52
polar pure ranks not to well

Jack Tarlin
03-02-2007, 18:55
I've hiked over 15,000 miles with it; it ranks and works just fine.

Rufous Sided Towhee
03-05-2007, 00:10
I've hiked over 15,000 miles with it; it ranks and works just fine.

How does Polar Pure work, exactly? I've seen it advertised, never really understood how it works. There are some crystals of something in a dark-colored bottle and...then what?

I have always used Iodine (Potable Aqua), but the taste and expense and concerns about health effects of that much iodine have me looking at alternatives for my upcoming hike.

Cookerhiker
04-09-2008, 20:57
OK, I have a question about Aqua Mira and found this thread. To save weight, I began using AM on my 2006 JMT hike - worked great, no effect on taste, the time required was entirely manageable.

So I'm ready for my first hike in 2007, get out the AM and discover that AM "A" was empty - it apparently evaporated. My bad, I figured. I bought more for my LT hike last year - again it worked great and this time, I screwed the cap on tightly.

So I get it out 2 weeks ago for my Laurel Highlands Trail hike and again, "A" was empty.

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on...?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thru Hiker Wife
04-09-2008, 21:25
My husband is currently thru-hiking and due to wieght and space issued has switched to AM. He has filtered and used iodine in the past. Filter was heavy and he worried about the tubing and the iodine tasted awful even with Vitamin C. He loves and swears by AM!

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/forum/hijacked.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org) On a similar but slightly different note, being that I am on the homefront for a thru hiker and therefore help in maildropping certain supplies including AM, I am wondering if anyone else is having difficulties locating AM (liquid) in their local outfitters? I am still able to get it online at Campmor, etc. but most of our local outfitters have quit selling it due to it being used to make illegal substances (meth). Is anyone else encountering this issue?

Appalachian Tater
04-09-2008, 21:33
most of our local outfitters have quit selling it due to it being used to make illegal substances (meth). I didn't know about that. Same reason it's so hard for me to get sinus pills OTC that work well now. As long as it's legal to sell, the outfitters shouldn't care what you use it for. Next thing you know, it will be illegal to buy lighters or matches because people use them to smoke pot. Won't be able to buy water, either, because people use that to grow it. Absurd.

Thru Hiker Wife
04-09-2008, 21:57
I didn't know about that. Same reason it's so hard for me to get sinus pills OTC that work well now. As long as it's legal to sell, the outfitters shouldn't care what you use it for. Next thing you know, it will be illegal to buy lighters or matches because people use them to smoke pot. Won't be able to buy water, either, because people use that to grow it. Absurd.

Well, I don't actually know how factual it is which is part of the reasons I posted the question here. I just know that that was the reason we were given at one of the local outfitters when we inquired as to why they were not stocking it anymore.

Appalachian Tater
04-09-2008, 22:03
Well, I don't actually know how factual it is which is part of the reasons I posted the question here. I just know that that was the reason we were given at one of the local outfitters when we inquired as to why they were not stocking it anymore.Apparently it can be used to make meth. That is still no reason not to stock it if it is legal to do so. They could limit quantity if they wanted to, or make people sign for it.

Montego
04-09-2008, 22:29
I didn't know about that. Same reason it's so hard for me to get sinus pills OTC that work well now. As long as it's legal to sell, the outfitters shouldn't care what you use it for. Next thing you know, it will be illegal to buy lighters or matches because people use them to smoke pot. Won't be able to buy water, either, because people use that to grow it. Absurd.

When I worked for 7-11 convenience stores (5 1/2 years) while living in Colorado, it became illegal (by municiple ordnance) for us to sell lighters, matches, propane lighter refill canisters, or spray paint to anyone under the age of 18.

We stopped carrying cigarette rolling papers, HEET, benedryl, and all other forms of sinus medications because they "could" be used in the production of meth (company policy change for that area).

Appalachian Tater
04-09-2008, 22:35
When I worked for 7-11 convenience stores (5 1/2 years) while living in Colorado, it became illegal (by municiple ordnance) for us to sell lighters, matches, propane lighter refill canisters, or spray paint to anyone under the age of 18.

We stopped carrying cigarette rolling papers, HEET, benedryl, and all other forms of sinus medications because they "could" be used in the production of meth (company policy change for that area).Kids can't buy spraypaint or boxcutters here, either. When I was a kid I couldn't buy glue to put together models unless one of my parents was with me. Funny thing was, my mother didn't even know why, she had to ask the guy at the store and then try to explain to a six year old about huffing glue.

Montego
04-09-2008, 22:45
Kids can't buy spraypaint or boxcutters here, either. When I was a kid I couldn't buy glue to put together models unless one of my parents was with me. Funny thing was, my mother didn't even know why, she had to ask the guy at the store and then try to explain to a six year old about huffing glue.

Forgot about the model glue. Yep, kind of sad really. But hey, at least the kids don't have to crawl under their school desks and cover their head at the sound of the drill siren now. :sun

minnesotasmith
04-09-2008, 23:24
And a coffee filter first. Don't need as many drops, saving money. A CF can be easily and LNT-faithfully disposed of in a campfire. They're cheap. And, if you bring along a small collapsible food-grade plastic funnel as I did (one made it the whole way), easy and quick to use.

Berserker
04-16-2008, 13:25
OK, I have a question about Aqua Mira and found this thread. To save weight, I began using AM on my 2006 JMT hike - worked great, no effect on taste, the time required was entirely manageable.

So I'm ready for my first hike in 2007, get out the AM and discover that AM "A" was empty - it apparently evaporated. My bad, I figured. I bought more for my LT hike last year - again it worked great and this time, I screwed the cap on tightly.

So I get it out 2 weeks ago for my Laurel Highlands Trail hike and again, "A" was empty.

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on...?

Has anyone else had this problem?

I have left mine sitting around in storage for quite some time (like 6 months or so), and not noticed the same problem you are having. There was still some liquid left in the "A" bottle.

Thru Hiker Wife
04-16-2008, 13:41
I didn't have problems finding it on my thru but it's easy to toss a couple of extra bottles in your bounce, they don't weigh much.

Yes. For those who don't know, Runsalone is home for a small spell and he says that although we are having difficulties getting it in our outfitters, it is abundant along the trail. Makes me breathe easier knowing he's able to get it since I now have to order online.