PDA

View Full Version : Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies

Mags
02-28-2007, 23:02
Rockies Ruck 2007 - Leadville Hostel - Leadville, CO

The Rockies Ruck is a low-key gathering of people who have a passion for the long trails. During the weekend we celebrate the love the long trails: the beauty, the wonder and the camaraderie among those who have a passion for the trails.

This past year, the Rockies Ruck was again held at the Leadville Hostel in Leadville, Colorado.

Leadville is aptly suited for a gathering of long distance hikers. Situated at an elevation of over 10000 feet high, there is a commanding view of the Continental Divide to the west. Additionally, Leadville is a trail town for the Continental Divide Trail, the Colorado Trail and the American Discovery Trail. A perfect location for those who
celebrate their love of the long trails!

The hosts of the Leadville Hostel are Cathy and Bill. Two people who understand long distance hikers, love our crazy little tribe and have always been gracious hosts not only for the Rucks but for many hikers over the years. And Bill's pancakes fill up the stomach of even the hungriest of hikers!

Friday night many of us went to a dinner in town. Though the weather delayed or even kept some people away, the enjoyment of people gathered to enjoy the company of fellow hikers was infectious.

The Rockies Ruck is quickly becoming the reunion for CDT hikers! Over the weekend, there were five people who completed the CDT in 2006, as well as past and soon-to-be future CDT hikers. Brian Martin, field
operations manager for the Continental Divide Trail Alliance (CDTA), even made an appearance. Many of us enjoyed talking shop with a person responsible
for helping to make the dream of the CDT a reality.

Friday night Disco (CDT 2006) showed us a sneak preview of his CDT "Walkumentary". If the finished product is as good as the preview, the CDT will have a DVD that
shows the experience that is the CDT quite well. Continuing the theme of the CDT Sidewinder (also CDT 2006) showed us his DVD from his flip-flop hike of the trail.

Saturday morning, we all had a thru-hiker worthy breakfast. A few people went skiing and snowboarding at the nearby Copper Ski resort. Others went snowshoeing or cross country skiing. The weather was overcast,
but made for a wonderful way to spend a winter day.

Later that night, more videos were watched. Squatches "Even more Walking" DVD about the PCT was shown to much laughter. Burnfoot gave us a taste of international trekking as he showed us his slides from Nepal. Burnfoot is responsible for the cache of soda in the Cochetopa Hills many CT/CDT hikers have enjoyed.

Sunday morning came. Another huge breakfast was enjoyed. Our final hugs were given.Some of us continued the weekend by doing a ski tour near Tennessee Pass to enjoy one last bit of playing in the Colorado mountains.

The Ruck is meant to be low-key; no concrete agenda. Just people coming together who share a love of the trails. A chance to tell tales, enjoy each others company and to celebrate what we all love: The trails and all that goes with a love of the trails.

And based on that simple criteria, the weekend was a success.

Pictures from the weekend at: http://snipurl.com/ruck2007

hammock engineer
02-28-2007, 23:14
Cool report and pics. I will have to make it next year. I think Denver is going to work out for me.

TJ aka Teej
02-28-2007, 23:21
Friday night Disco

What, no contra-dance? :D
Sounds like a great time, Mags!

Mags
02-28-2007, 23:35
Cool report and pics. I will have to make it next year. I think Denver is going to work out for me.

Awesome! When you get into town, give me a holler. I'll be more than happy to show you around!

Mags
02-28-2007, 23:36
What, no contra-dance? :D

Well, wedid do a Disco version of contra dancing! :)

Footslogger
03-01-2007, 00:37
Only wish the weather hadn't come in and closed the roads. Guess there's always next year !!

Glad the event went well ...

'Slogger

hammock engineer
03-01-2007, 02:43
Awesome! When you get into town, give me a holler. I'll be more than happy to show you around!

Thanks I'll have to do that. If I have enough cash after my hike it will be this fall, if not I will end up working here and moving out in January.