PDA

View Full Version : bear-bagging

hummer
03-01-2007, 10:01
I have instructions on various ways to hang a bear bag.... my ? is about the material of the bear bag. Is a nylon stuff sack adequate? I plan on having mostly dried goods including sugared oatmeal and clif bars in a nylon stuff sack, and placing the sack in my backpack by day, then hanging it at night. I don't want any lingering smells in my pack to attract animals, and of course I don't want little critters eating all my food either. Any feedback? - Thanks

Footslogger
03-01-2007, 10:07
On the AT the nylon/silnylon stuff sacks are sufficient. There's always a chance that a mini-bear might nibble through the fabric if you don't hang the bag in a good place. But otherwise your stuff sack should work fine.

There are a lot of hikers who don't hang a food bag at all. The choice is yours. With very few exceptions I pretty much hang my food bag every night. Is it totally necessary ?? ...maybe not, but as easy as it is to hang the bag I'd rather not tempt fate.

'Slogger

gearhound
03-01-2007, 12:34
Might I suggest some sort of waterproof nylon stuff sack. Nights where it rains could soak a nylon sack through.

hammock engineer
03-01-2007, 12:43
I use the seatosummit ultra sil bags. A dry bag weighing in at about the same as a stuff sack. I had mine hung in a couple good rains and everything was dry.

Doctari told me something that he saw on the AT. Mice were taking flying leaps at food bags hanging in a shelter. The sled off of the sil ones but were about to grab onto the canvas or non-smooth ones. Something to also consider when sheltering.

Trailwind
03-01-2007, 13:05
I use the seatosummit ultra sil bags. A dry bag weighing in at about the same as a stuff sack. I had mine hung in a couple good rains and everything was dry.
I second the silnylon bag. Years ago I used a nylon bag and kept everything in ziplocs inside it. With a heavy dew or the slightest rain it was inevitable that anything other than a store bought freeze dried bag or vacuum sealed product was going to get some moisture in it. My gatorade powder in ziploc bags began growing into this orange blob I had to carry out on several trips. Since it became widely available I used a silnylon stuff sack and hung it upside down with the drawstring at the botton, no problems. My son snagged it on our last trip and with no hopes of him returning it I replaced it with a seatosummit silnylon bag just yesterday. There's another thread with quite a bit of conversation going on about these bags and someone said they bought a 3 pack at Walmart for a low price. There are quite a few of us that have been unable to find them at WalMart. Here in Atlanta I found the seatosummit bags at REI and at High Country Outfitters, a 13L size for $18.95 at both stores. If you're a gram counter it is 1.4 ounces.

Footslogger
03-01-2007, 13:11
One additional note ...try and find a bag that has a handle sewn into the bottom and use that for attaching to your line. Tie a small slip knot in the drawstring. That'll keep the rain out of the bag.

'Slogger

veteran
03-01-2007, 14:15
One additional note ...try and find a bag that has a handle sewn into the bottom (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=8741523&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1) and use that for attaching to your line. Tie a small slip knot in the drawstring. That'll keep the rain out of the bag.

'Slogger

RobKimball
03-07-2007, 18:05
I always keep one of those chintzy keychain carabiners clipped into my critter bag. Fussing with knots to get your hot cocoa in the morning is fine for a weekend, but gets old pretty quick!

superman
03-07-2007, 18:27
Everything including me is sometimes protected by one size plastic bag or other. My primary bags are the garbage bag, the zip lock bag and the grocery store bag. At different times I've used garbage bags and grocery store bags for bear bags. My bear bags are more like mouse bags. I always tent and always hang a mouse bag if there is something to hang it on. It is "better living through plastic bags." (I know its chemistry) Plastic bags are light, cheap and easily replaceable. It's not rocket science...it's just hanging a bag of food off the ground. Lot's of ways to do the same thing. Just go with what ever blows your skirt up...it's all good. On the other hand...if you choose not to hang a bear bag god is not going to smite you....but a mouse might or might not....it's all good.

G.H.O.S.T.
03-17-2007, 11:33
If you are going to hang the food bag in the shelters or on the bear pull cables in the smokies you may want to cut off the bottom of a 2L bottle, run some go-lite through it and knot off both ends. Throw in a keychain carabiners and you have a mouse blocker that weighs in at 1oz. I've been using two the whole trip, one for my food, and one for my pack and have not had a mouse hole in any gear yet. (Usually there are some cans hanging in the shelter serving the same purpose but GA was short on them and they may fill up quickly during peak times)

Lone Wolf
03-17-2007, 11:35
always sleep with your food bag

cannonball
03-17-2007, 12:23
I see you saying this often From what I understand you have a lot of miles so it can be said that you have "tempted fate".
I am curious as to when you started this practice and why you have confidence that food in your tent won't draw critters, especially bear types.

superman
03-17-2007, 12:39
Whether you hang a bag or not there is fun in the process. Early in your AT hike before people figure stuff out take the time to just sit back and enjoy the AT Follies. I laughed watching grown, intelligent, capable people trying to hang their bear bags. It was an area where there were a lot of thru hikers camping sort of close. Some hadn't figured out yet that it works better to have enough weight on the line to get it up over a branch. Some picked branches that wouldn't hold the weight of their bag. Since hanging a bear bag is an easy thing to do people figure it out pretty quick so the fun I discribe only happens real early in the hike.

Lone Wolf
03-17-2007, 12:39
I see you saying this often From what I understand you have a lot of miles so it can be said that you have "tempted fate".
I am curious as to when you started this practice and why you have confidence that food in your tent won't draw critters, especially bear types.

been sleeping with my food for 20 years. never had a critter come in my tent.

Big Dawg
03-17-2007, 18:06
I sleep w/ my food too. Never had a problem. I imagine my loud snorrrrr:eek: scares away most everything. Critters, bears, etc. prolly say,,, "my gawd, what tha f' is in that tent,,, I ain't goin nowhere nears that gnarly beast".

My wife will tell ya, if she has to get up to check on our baby girl, there ain't no going back to the master bedroom, cause she'd never get back to sleep.:D

Chache
03-17-2007, 18:35
I just got one of these bags. Had a little trouble with the vendor at first. Then he sent it to me free. 6 OZ is not to bad to not only protect food from critters ( not bear proof) but also damage to your tent,bag or pack because you didn't know you had a crumb of food in therehttp://www.armoredoutdoorgear.com/index.html

grysmn
03-21-2007, 01:10
Bears aren't the problem on the AT it is rodents. My first night on my first thru, a mouse sampled a few bites from each pouch and urinated on the food to mark it. Away from shelters mice aren't a problem:D

fiddlehead
03-21-2007, 09:55
Hello all! I'm finally back on line having finally gotten internet in my home here in Thailand. I see the same old questions that have been asked over and over so, i'll give my 2 cents to this one:
I started sleeping with my food in '91 after seeing folks who hung it lost it to a bear and folks who slept with it happily still enjoying their food the next day. I haven't hung since except in Glacier NP and Yellowstone and even there i have slept with already. Haven't lost any food in that time either. Saw more hikers lose food to bears over the years. It's nice to know how so maybe you could teach some boyscouts or something but in reality: it just doesn't keep the bears from eating it. (hanging)
good to be back.

Yahtzee
03-21-2007, 10:56
I, too, sleep with my food and have never had a problem. Also, if you sleep away from shelters your odds of having your food taken are greatly reduced. They know where the food is everynight. Shelters. Same goes for the mice. Same goes for snorers. You get the picture.

Undershaft
03-29-2007, 13:08
The only time I hang my food is inside a shelter to reduce the chances a mouse will get into it. I very, very rarely sleep in shelters. 99% of the time I sleep in my tent and never hang my food bag. It's always in the tent right next to my head. I have never had a problem, even when I tent right next to a shelter during prime rodent season.

Rebel, with a Cause!
03-29-2007, 15:57
I use a Outdoor Research HydroLite Pack Sack, 880 Cu in, This light stuff sack will protect your food bag in wet weather. The fabric has a waterproof coating and the seams are taped to keep water out. A dust flap prevents dirt and moisture from working through the opening. It has a nice Handle on the bottom as well. Weight = 1.9 Oz

http://www.orgear.com/home/style/home/storage/storage_stuffsacks/HLP

I also use a Watchful Eye Designs O.P. Sak, 12 X 20 in, Weight .9 oz, Odor-proof and Waterproof for food, Patented zip seal that keeps the contents completely protected from water, dust, and air, Very durable - a single Aloksak remains entirely functional through several weeks - or months - of normal backpacking use. If they dont smell it, they wont bother it.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/aloksak_op_sak_12_5x20.html

Also a JacksRBetter Micro Carabiner Weight = .1 Oz that attaches to the bottom of the food bag to secure it to the bear line or cable. Mine wont get knocked off like several did in 2002.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Micro%20Carabiners.htm

Total weight is 3 Oz for a system that works well, Holds up, is Water and Oder Proof, and easy to use.

Cya on the Trail

ShowMe
03-29-2007, 19:01
I understand hanging your bag in a shelter to keep mice out of it. But doesnt that defeat the purpose of you or others hanging bags away from the shelter to keep bears away? ....Or do bears and mice have different tastes?

JenSkim
04-13-2009, 13:36
Isn't sleeping with your food bag just an open invitation for animals to dine, not only on your food, but on you?

hikergirl1120
04-13-2009, 13:48
Does anyone have a link to some bear bagging instructions??

insider2185
04-13-2009, 13:59
Does anyone have a link to some bear bagging instructions??

here is one

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_bag_hanging_technique.html

hikergirl1120
04-13-2009, 14:26
Ah very nice (and funny)

How about this one?? I just found it and I like the illustrations

http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/training/bearbag.shtml

Lone Wolf
04-13-2009, 16:10
Isn't sleeping with your food bag just an open invitation for animals to dine, not only on your food, but on you?

no, not at all. i always sleep with food and never had a problem

Chaco Taco
04-13-2009, 16:18
I see hanging food as an open invitation.

buff_jeff
04-13-2009, 17:33
I sleep with my food and have also never had a problem. My dad is in the same boat. It's awesome listening to people lecture you on how you have to hang a bear bag.

stranger
04-15-2009, 09:06
I hung my food every night last year from Springer to Atkins and never had a problem with anything getting to it, or water getting inside.

I would recommend using, as already mentioned, Sea to Summit roll down stuff sacks. For a food bag I would recommend the 13 liter one, 8 liters isn't enough if you are loaded down with food or would like to hang your cook pots and stove.

Also, learn the PCT method of hanging food, can search it online, very easy and very bombproof as long as you use a branch small enough that is won't support a bear, and strong enough so a bear can't tear or chew it from the tree.

We had visits from bears starting in Georgia, through NC and TN, I never saw one in southwest VA however.

gonewalkabout
04-19-2009, 19:19
Hang you food in Ga, NC for sure. If no bear cables are avaiable I like the PCT method. Google it you will find it. I was on the trail until Erwin TN. Several hikers have lost food due to poorly hang backs in the Max Patch area this season and signs were up warning that last year a bear took food every night. By making it easy for bears to get food we create problem bears.

Tinker
04-19-2009, 20:31
Might I suggest some sort of waterproof nylon stuff sack. Nights where it rains could soak a nylon sack through.

Rain will get into a stuffsack anyway unless you have a rolltop dry bag closure. I use an old non-waterproof sleeping bag stuffsack. I burned a drain hole in the bottom to let rain water out. My food is stored in zip-lock bags anyhow.
More often than not I attempt to camp near a shelter (not in) and if the shelter isn't too crowded I use the already installed mouse baffles. On the last trip I did this the second night, but the first night I just put the food bag on a large log next to where my hammock was hanging. Come to think of it my food bag was in my pack. Nothing got touched. Mice apparantly aren't as plentiful away from shelters, and my snoring probably scares most animals (and people! :o) away.