PDA

View Full Version : Smokies on Fire, toronado's near the trail !

RAT
03-01-2007, 18:43
Hikers beware, not only some really bad weather passing thru the South right now (Toronado warnings even in Ga.) but it seems the Smokies are on fire on the TN. side near Townsend right now. Be careful out there !

RAT

mountain squid
03-01-2007, 18:59
Yeah, I heard that on the radio, too.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Rebel, with a Cause!
03-01-2007, 19:08
The fire wasnt in the park. Here is a news spot about it:

The state Forestry Division says six rental cabins have been destroyed and the blaze has spread over 400 acres in Wears Valley, near Townsend.

Forestry spokesman Nathan Waters says the cabins were unoccupied and there have been no injuries to firefighters. Crews from six counties are battling the flames, which jumped a fire line early today, whipped by strong winds.

The fire has plenty of fuel because pine beetles have killed some trees and damaged others. The flames are racing 50 feet high in some spots and there have been exploding propane tanks at the cabins. Firefighters have evacuated four families on Cove Mountain and are trying to protect their homes. ( END )

My wife and I were up there yesterday and came back today and saw some bits of the fire. With the big rain we had today, I dont think it will spread too bad. This morning we had 40 MPH winds and heavy rain on the AT near Spence Field Shelter. One thruhiker going from Spence Field to Mt Collins ( almost 20 miles ) expected. I hope he does ok, nice guy.

eventidecu
03-01-2007, 19:53
Too Bad about the property of those who owned the cabins but fire is needed for the eco system of the forest and I'd rather see a good fire with a heavy rainstorm coming in. Do some good under brush clearing around an apparent populated area with a lot of dead vegetation already, keep maybe a far worse situation later on,, oh say,,,in August with no rain.

RAT
03-01-2007, 20:20
May not be no fire in the park but there will be lotsa smoke ! You can look off the trail and see Townsend in some places. when I went thru in 91 a plane had crashed a few days earlier, the debris was still there right off the trail. I hope this weather gets gone soon and with no injuries. We have hail and toronados all around us here at the moment. Be safe ya`ll,

RAT

galaleemc
03-02-2007, 09:47
I noticed the smoke in Blairsville GA while there 2-28. It progressed into Hiawassee around 3 pm....and was getting thicker. I stayed inside it was so bad. By sunset I could not see anything to the west - especially the sun it was so thick. Thankful for the downpours we had the last two days.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-02-2007, 11:13
The fire is in Wears Valley on Cove Mountain - this is between Townsend and Seiverville (about 15 miles ESE of Gatlinburg). You can probably see the fire from about Spence / Russell field to Newfound Gap.
http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=6160621&nav=menu7_2
http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=42855

sliderule
03-04-2007, 20:18
The fire is in Wears Valley on Cove Mountain - this is between Townsend and Seiverville (about 15 miles ESE of Gatlinburg).
It might be time for a new compass!!!

The Solemates
03-05-2007, 11:28
was just there this weekend. didnt see anything. we heard they started back up again while we were there. hopefully the snowstorm we got help mitigate that though.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-05-2007, 11:44
It might be time for a new compass!!!Make that WSW :o. We were in that area yesterday and didn't see any smoke at all so I'd say the fire is out.

sliderule
03-05-2007, 12:09
Make that WSW :o.
Strike two!!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-05-2007, 14:26
Sliderule - please supply the direction. I'm direction-impaired :D. BTW, I heard on the radio as I was buying the he-dino a new chainsaw that the fire is still going in spots, but considered under control.