PDA

View Full Version : GoLite Footwear

trippclark
03-01-2007, 19:45
Okay, I'll admit it; I like gadgets and innovation and I am sometimes a sucker for marketing.

Now that that has been confessed, I am intrigued by the new GoLite footwear. I first heard it described in the January 29 podcast interview with Doug Clark on "Metamorphic Suspension in GoLite Shoes" over at backpackinglight.com. It "sounds" pretty innovative. They just launched a slick website (more glitz than substance, however) at http://golite.com/footwear/

For those who have heard the interview . . . or even better, seen or tried the shoe . . . any thoughts?

GlazeDog
03-02-2007, 01:09
I heard the podcast too. That whole buusiness about the angle of the shoe changing because the "soft" lugs absorb some of the pitch is amazing. Could result in less roled ankles. This may sound hokie, but just listen to the podcast (see iTunes directory for backpackinglight.com 1.29.07 show). I'm very interested. Lightweight too!!

GlazeDog

lvleph
03-02-2007, 09:57
From their site they claim that the shoes weigh around 11oz. That has to be per shoe. Either way that is still pretty light and they do look like decent shoes. I was actually looking at them last night. I am seriously considering getting a pair.

trippclark
03-02-2007, 10:37
I heard the podcast too. That whole buusiness about the angle of the shoe changing because the "soft" lugs absorb some of the pitch is amazing. Could result in less rolled ankles.

Yep, that was exactly my thought too. I have never had a significant injury from my ankles rolling, but have had a few scares. If this system helps reduce the risk, that would make me give these a serious look. I'd love to hear from someone who has used these.

Old Grouse
03-02-2007, 10:46
The podcast was impressive. At the end the representative mentioned that while this product was made for trailrunning, they could, and may, tune the lug compositon to better suit the lesser streses caused by hiking. He didn't mention when they might do this, though.

trippclark
03-02-2007, 11:34
golite was recently bought out by timberland. timberland makes the shoes, and liscenses the name/logo back to golite.

Thanks for the info. I was not aware of this new relationship. There is an interesting article that describes the relationship (and goes into detail on the technology behind the shoes) in INC magazine. It is online at

http://tinyurl.com/3xof4q

Sly
03-02-2007, 11:47
golite was recently bought out by timberland. timberland makes the shoes, and liscenses the name/logo back to golite.

Ray Jardine must be spinning in his kayak!

trippclark
03-02-2007, 13:41
if the golite shoes are anything like timberland's shoes, they will be absolute crap. timberland makes the worst boots for actually hiking. but if you want some fashionable timberlands like all the rappers wear, then timberland all the way.

i heard that rei and ems will both carry a full line of these new golite shoes.

I can't argue with that. I have never owned Timberland boots but have heard nothing at all favorable about them. The INC article sounds like they are trying hard to reinvent themselves and become serious contenders in the outdoor market (not just the rapper market :D )

Quoddy
03-02-2007, 13:44
So far no one seems to have located a dealer (store or online) that's even heard of them. They seem to be a future release.

Quoddy
03-02-2007, 13:47
Double posted

Ewker
03-02-2007, 13:52
I saw a pair last weekend. Not sure where the woman bought them though

vaporjourney
03-02-2007, 14:07
here are the women's sun dragons,
haven't been able to find any men's though.: http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp;jsessionid=Fbseip2l2LP5Y mxqBHSJ58FudAukmNcwMnDDiz7TIgSe7NHOpDvy!2084806685 !174391834!7005!8005?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442 592183&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302258261&bmUID=1172008030792

I wonder if these 'claws' will help the soles of the shoe last longer? Then again, that may be offset by the claws wearing down faster than the soles wear. Very interesting and I look forward to trying some on if I cross them at an outfitter on my thru...

GlazeDog
03-02-2007, 22:50

This seems very odd. Are you sure this is "real" info. Can you link me a source? Why would a crap shoe company that markets to city-dwelling non-hikers buy a niche market brand like Go-Lite? This doesn't seem real. But unreal things do happen sometimes.

Concerned---
GlazeDog

trippclark
03-02-2007, 22:57
This seems very odd. Are you sure this is "real" info. Can you link me a source? Why would a crap shoe company that markets to city-dwelling non-hikers buy a niche market brand like Go-Lite? This doesn't seem real. But unreal things do happen sometimes.

Concerned---
GlazeDog

"Bought out" is not EXACTLY a correct description, in the traditional sense, but close. Here is an article that describes it:

http://tinyurl.com/3xof4q

A-Train
03-03-2007, 01:12
I tried on a pair at the trade show last August in SLC. They were moderately comfortable, but nothing amazing. Hard to tell for only wearing them 10 minutes. They were being marketed heavily there. Pretty loud colors (yellow). Judging by the majority of Golite stuff, and now that Timberland owns them (along with several other companies) I'd say these shoes will probably be crap-tastic. I'd rather have Montrails anyday.

GlazeDog
03-03-2007, 01:26
"Bought out" is not EXACTLY a correct description, in the traditional sense, but close.

Yeah, I see now. What an unusual turn of events. Sometimes baffling things happen?????:-? GoLite will surely change.

The shoes still may be amazing. An assessment that based on the soft tread technology can't be judged at a convention center on flat (possibly concrete?) flooring.

Thanks for the link!!

GlazeDog

gardenville
03-11-2007, 20:47
I have a pair of the Trail Fly model that I bought on Thursday the 8th of March. The store had just gotten them. Mine are size 11 - 11.5 and weigh 15.48 ounce each shoe. I took a few pictures of the stores's 4 different man's shoes and also took pictures of the rest of the shoes from a GoLite Shoe catalog. The pictures of the catalog are not great but you can see what they look like if you want to go to my BLOG.
http://ultraliteskunkworks.blogspot.com/2007/03/new-golite-shoe-line.html

I am wearing mine to walk / hike in.