PDA

View Full Version : Don't think I would like to be on Springer tonight

veteran
03-01-2007, 20:42
Atlanta, GA Radar (http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=ffc&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no)

Jester2000
03-01-2007, 20:44
I'd still rather be on Springer tonight.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-01-2007, 21:14
Yikes, they just issued a flash flood warning for pretty much all of the AT in GA

Jester2000
03-01-2007, 21:25
Time to set up that tent in the shelter. . .

Lone Wolf
03-01-2007, 21:27
Yikes, they just issued a flash flood warning for pretty much all of the AT in GA

how do you get a flood on Blood Mtn. or any mountain for that matter?:-?

Jester2000
03-01-2007, 21:30
how do you get a flood on Blood Mtn. or any mountain for that matter?:-?

Well I remember being on an ark with some dude, can't remember his name. Back then, MOST of the mountains were underwater.

moxie
03-01-2007, 21:37
Well I remember being on an ark with some dude, can't remember his name. Back then, MOST of the mountains were underwater.
What ever became of that female baboon you briught on the ark with you? I hear the unicorns missed the boat,

Jester2000
03-01-2007, 21:49
What ever became of that female baboon you briught on the ark with you? I hear the unicorns missed the boat,

According to a stipulation in the settlement, I am not at liberty to say what happened to or with the female babboon.

As for the unicorns, funny story. They made the boat, but were tossed off after creating too many below-the-waterline holes. In hindsight, we should have eaten them.

Skidsteer
03-01-2007, 21:59

No, ah, the story I heard was that ALL the mtns. were underwater.

Sewers must've backed up.

Sly
03-01-2007, 22:11
Lots of rain, thunder, lightening and tornado warnings in GA today! With a big March 1st crowd, I'm sure there's a few that are ill prepared and maybe a couple that called it quits already.

Jester2000
03-01-2007, 22:21
No, ah, the story I heard was that ALL the mtns. were underwater.

Nope. In Arizona they only got two inches.

Jack Tarlin
03-01-2007, 22:22
Which brings us back to my comments of the other day......I wonder how many folks quit early each year who'd have lasted longer if only they'd STARTED just a couple of weeks later.

Something for the '08 people to think about, maybe.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-01-2007, 22:26
What happens on the Ark, stays on the Ark - unless I take this idea to photoshop :D

I remember this one large campsite near a large creek in the first 15 miles - I would hate to be there tonight.

Footslogger
03-01-2007, 22:27
I'd take Springer over sitting here in Laramie any day.

Guess all things are relative ...

'Slogger

Jester2000
03-01-2007, 22:30
Which brings us back to my comments of the other day......I wonder how many folks quit early each year who'd have lasted longer if only they'd STARTED just a couple of weeks later.
Something for the '08 people to think about, maybe.

It's sort of year to year, though, isn't it? Statistically, you're probably right. But I remember starting on April 1st rather than in March partially because of weather concerns. Then it turned out that those who started a month earlier than me had great weather, and I got buckets of rain and, on one day, snow. plus an ice storm in the Smokies.

rafe
03-01-2007, 22:32
What happens on the Ark, stays on the Ark - unless I take this idea to photoshop :D

I remember this one large campsite near a large creek in the first 15 miles - I would hate to be there tonight.

Justus stream?

Jim Adams
03-01-2007, 22:37
Lots of rain, thunder, lightening and tornado warnings in GA today! With a big March 1st crowd, I'm sure there's a few that are ill prepared and maybe a couple that called it quits already.

Nah, I'd just be hang'in out at that Neel's Gap beach front property!:D

geek

Stix
03-01-2007, 22:37
I was up on Springer two weeks ago and it was a big mess. I also ran into a bunch of guys in camo and they had Guns! :-?

Mother Nature
03-01-2007, 22:40
I live near Helen, GA and Unicoi Gap. We just got back from a local hiking club meeting to find that the stream near our house has flooded over the road in several places. The rain is still coming down in buckets. Our rain gauge measures 5 inches and it has overflowed.

I imagine the trail would be a running river tonight!

MN

Blissful
03-01-2007, 22:43
Glad my son got a fever the night before we were supposed to leave for GA so we stayed home (not glad he is sick, of course, but that is worked out this way) or we might have been swimming tonight (our start date was March 1st), and then probably taking tons of zero days somewhere recuperating from illness.

Next week looks good, though. So far...

peanuts
03-01-2007, 22:55
it reminds me of this past nye at springer....

Trailwind
03-02-2007, 02:28
Sounds like it might be Three Forks or Justis Creek to me. Three Forks has a beautiful spot for camping and small waterfall nearby. It's just over 4 miles in though. Justis Creek is 13 or 14 miles in.

Ramble~On
03-02-2007, 05:37
6 people were killed by a tornado in Georgia early today.
Western NC has had high winds and rain ...The stream in my front yard hasn't jumped its banks but its full. I'd be willing to say that anyone up on the higher ridges through this storm will have some stories to tell.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-02-2007, 09:37
Prayers for those who were in the path of tornados / high winds.

As for the creek, I don't remember which creek it was. It was a shallow creek in a low-lying area that showed evidence of having flooded. When I hiked it, there were about two dozen boys (all about 10 yo) camped in the area that I'm sure would have been flooded last night. The leaders didn't appear to know much about site selection or about LNT techniques. They had a massive pile of wood for a bonfire and had screened off an area not 20 - 30 ft from the creek as a potty area.

galaleemc
03-02-2007, 09:43
Can you imagine what SR42 looks like this morning? We had 4 NOBO's here last night after walking all day in that downpour glad to be in dry hostel with nice comfy robes.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-02-2007, 09:49
I bet there are ruts in FS 42 that my SUV couldn't cross and that one long hill on the Donlongea side - the one that doesn't get much sun and is always a mudhole - I wonder if it is even passable today?

Nightwalker
03-02-2007, 11:11
Atlanta, GA Radar (http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=ffc&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no)

However, only one day later, the Accuweather forecast for Suches, GA (http://wwwa.accuweather.com/forecast-15day.asp?zipcode=30572) calls for 15 days of nice weather with no rain. Woowoo!

Nightwalker
03-02-2007, 11:13
Justus stream?

Five Forks.

Lone Wolf
03-02-2007, 11:14
Three Forks. Justus Creek

Nightwalker
03-02-2007, 11:16
Can you imagine what SR42 looks like this morning? We had 4 NOBO's here last night after walking all day in that downpour glad to be in dry hostel with nice comfy robes.

Hi Laura. I met you in Hiawassee two weeks ago (15th?). You were very kind to me and my dog. I hope that you do very well this year, and maybe I'll see you guys soon.

veteran
03-02-2007, 11:57
Prayers for those who were in the path of tornados / high winds.

As for the creek, I don't remember which creek it was. It was a shallow creek in a low-lying area that showed evidence of having flooded. When I hiked it, there were about two dozen boys (all about 10 yo) camped in the area that I'm sure would have been flooded last night. The leaders didn't appear to know much about site selection or about LNT techniques. They had a massive pile of wood for a bonfire and had screened off an area not 20 - 30 ft from the creek as a potty area.

There is a camping area at Justus Creek,which is about 14 miles from Springer. Check the Map (http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=34.65325&lon=-84.05142&size=l&u=5&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25)