PDA

View Full Version : 15 Degree Down Bags

Footslogger
03-01-2007, 23:06
Anyone know of a 15 Degree Down bag that is lighter in weight than the Marmot Helium ??

'Slogger

Footslogger
03-01-2007, 23:20
Never thought of looking at it from that ange. Guess I meant according to the manufacturer's rating. But I'll give the WM bags a look. Just not sure they are going to come in under 2 pounds unless they are rated above 20 degrees.

'Slogger

Ewker
03-01-2007, 23:21
can't go wrong with the Marmot Helium, BTW Campmor has them on sale

Footslogger
03-01-2007, 23:30
can't go wrong with the Marmot Helium, BTW Campmor has them on sale

================================

I agree ...and with the 20% off coupon you can get it at REI for $287.

Just wondered if I had overlooked any bags in the 15 degree rating category that weigh 1lb 13 oz or less.

Thanks,

'Slogger

Footslogger
03-01-2007, 23:31
not sure what size/girth bag you need, but wm has an apache super mf bag rated to 15, and weighs at 2#1oz. Check their site- they have (5) 15 deg bags, all in a variety of girths, etc.

============================

Thanks ...looked at that one. But it's tighter in the shoulders than the Marmot Helium.

'Slogger

Chache
03-01-2007, 23:48
something by western mountaineering?

i've heard that they underestimate their ratings so a 20 or 25 deg bag by wm might be comparable to another manufactureer's 15 deg bag.
Lots of people disagree about bag ratings. Everyone wants to believe they have the best. I prefer Marmots and have 3 of their bags. a 0 degree and 15 degree(Helium} and a 40 degree(atom). What really matters for comparison sake when were talking 900 fill down is WHAT IS THE FILL WEIGHT. In other words HOW MUCH DOWN IS THERE. Of :sun course there other considerations to buying it but as far as warmth goes thats the only constant. Nobody can tell you if your going to like a movie nor can they tell you if you will be warm in the same bag they were.

Footslogger
03-01-2007, 23:57
Lots of people disagree about bag ratings. Everyone wants to believe they have the best. I prefer Marmots and have 3 of their bags. a 0 degree and 15 degree(Helium} and a 40 degree(atom). What really matters for comparison sake when were talking 900 fill down is WHAT IS THE FILL WEIGHT. In other words HOW MUCH DOWN IS THERE. Of :sun course there other considerations to buying it but as far as warmth goes thats the only constant. Nobody can tell you if your going to like a movie nor can they tell you if you will be warm in the same bag they were.

Thanks ...but all I wanted to know is if anyone knew of a down bag that was rated at 15 degrees that weighed less than 1lb/13oz

'Slogger

Socrates
03-02-2007, 00:04
I'm in the Western Mountaineering 15 degree Badger and it is true to its rating. While it has been cool nights and probably not below 20, I've been perfectly comfortable in a one thin layer of clothing and felt perfectly warm, while I noticed some hikers were wearing extra clothing or mentioning that they were cold... I think it comes in around 2 pounds.

Footslogger
03-02-2007, 00:07
I'm in the Western Mountaineering 15 degree Badger and it is true to its rating. While it has been cool nights and probably not below 20, I've been perfectly comfortable in a one thin layer of clothing and felt perfectly warm, while I noticed some hikers were wearing extra clothing or mentioning that they were cold... I think it comes in around 2 pounds.

2lbs 12oz actually. Same fill (850) and the Helium is wider at the shoulders.

Thanks for the reply though.

'Slogger

eventidecu
03-02-2007, 10:13
Hey Footslogger, I've been looking for awhile at bags and about to get a new one myself and I don't think you can beat the Marmots right now. "They" all say the WM's are great and I'm sure they probably are but I'm afraid they might be more of a "bling bling" fad name monkey see monkey doo item. BECAUSE I've gone in to get one ( WM ) on more than one occasion and every time someone (employee) talks me out of it in the store when no one was looking. ( that hesitant look around before they say something negitive ) Most of the time I'm told the WM's lose a lot of down. I don't know I just know the Marmots really look good to me. Both the Helium and the Hydrogen and no one I've see has said anything at all bad about them. I think I'm going with the Hydrogen myself.

Nightwalker
03-02-2007, 11:00
Look for fill thickness/height. Marmot lists theirs, That's the important part of a bag's temp rating. You want ~8 inches for 15 degrees.

Marmot is less expensive than WM for the weight/warmth. Past that, its all personal opinion. I'm going to get a Marmot for my next bag, but your mileage--and opinion--may vary.

Footslogger
03-02-2007, 11:30
Appreciate all the feedback so far. Don't see anything yet with a 15 degree rating that is lighter than the Marmot Helium. That was pretty much what I thought when I openned the thread but I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed an option or two.

Thanks,

'Slogger

mountain squid
03-02-2007, 11:35
Hey 'Slogger check this one out:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagdetail.cfm/WE2820

I did not see it on WM home page anymore, though:confused:.

I have the Pod 30. When it gets near 30 I have felt some cold spots, but nothing to worry about. I also don't put the pad in the 'sleeve', maybe that would make a difference...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Footslogger
03-02-2007, 11:37
Appreciate all the feedback so far. Don't see anything yet with a 15 degree rating that is lighter than the Marmot Helium. That was pretty much what I thought when I openned the thread but I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed an option or two.

Thanks,

'Slogger

Chache
03-02-2007, 19:58
Your going to love the Helium. Warm and packs real small.:sun :sun :sun

Ewker
03-02-2007, 21:02
only problem I have with my Helium is the stuff sack. I cannot get it to say in it. You stuff it in, pull the drawcord and within a minute it is pushing its way out. Anyone else have that problem.

Cuffs
03-02-2007, 21:06
https://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=1101&hinban=2321659

Chache
03-02-2007, 21:11
only problem I have with my Helium is the stuff sack. I cannot get it to say in it. You stuff it in, pull the drawcord and within a minute it is pushing its way out. Anyone else have that problem.
I got a granite gear compression bag for it. get the small. works great and it makes it very small

Chache
03-02-2007, 21:14
http://www.basegear.com/aircompressor.html

Ewker
03-02-2007, 21:15
thanks, I will look into it

Sly
03-02-2007, 23:41
I got a granite gear compression bag for it. get the small. works great and it makes it very small

you don't want to use a compression bag on a down bag, it will crush the down. Get a bigger stuff sack if anything.

Chache
03-03-2007, 00:08
you don't want to use a compression bag on a down bag, it will crush the down. Get a bigger stuff sack if anything.
Thats one of the benefits of 900 down. you can compress it and it bounces back

Sly
03-03-2007, 00:49

Yeah but for how long? A good down bag can last a lifetime, but from what I've heard, not if you crush it.

tha
03-03-2007, 01:47
Anyone know of a 15 Degree Down bag that is lighter in weight than the Marmot Helium ??

'Slogger

Slogger, The Big Agnes Mystic-15 comes in around 2' 4" in case that helps. Their bags are very conservatively rated. I have this bag and love it. Don't think they can beat 2' unless the 20 degree bag is warm enough.
Good luck and enjoy your camping/hiking.

Tim

Chache
03-03-2007, 08:26
Yeah but for how long? A good down bag can last a lifetime, but from what I've heard, not if you crush it.
It makes sense that its not the best thing for it. I only compress it when its in the pack which means its Compressed for about 8 hours a day. I have done it I guess over a 100 times with the Helium bag. Seems to loft fine. I don't expect anything to last forever.
:sun

Toolshed
03-03-2007, 10:03
Took delivery of my MontBell U.L. Super Stretch Down Hugger #2 sleeping bag last week. Had it out 2x now under the stars. Last night down to 25d.

Stick a fork in me - I am done!!!!

This is an incredible bag. I wish I would have antied up and bought this sooner. I have 8 other down bags starting my EMS 1983 Robson Long -25 Down but none as light, comfortable and incredibly roomy as this.

This is my new sub 2lb companion!! They blow away my 15-year old 45d Down modified mummies (no hoods) that were my summer bags.
Thanks MontBell!!!!

peanuts
03-03-2007, 11:18
monbell ss ul rule!!!!!!!

Mountain Gal
03-08-2007, 22:55
Have you looked at the Mountain Hardware Phantom 15? It is supposed to weigh only 1lb15oz. It also has a 3/4 length zipper.

Frosty
03-08-2007, 23:27
Of :sun course there other considerations to buying it but as far as warmth goes thats the only constant. Method of sewing baffles, zipper protection, draft tubes and collars, amount of down on bottom and top of bag, and dimensions of bag (wider/longer) will all affect warmth with the same fill weight of down.

handlebar
03-09-2007, 21:37
Have you looked at the Mountain Hardware Phantom 15? It is supposed to weigh only 1lb15oz. It also has a 3/4 length zipper.

Just bought one using my rei dividend and the 20% off deal. Haven't had a chance to try it out outside, but I've got two other MH bags and they are true to their temp ratings. Plan to use mine on the PCT in 08.

Chache
03-10-2007, 10:54
Method of sewing baffles, zipper protection, draft tubes and collars, amount of down on bottom and top of bag, and dimensions of bag (wider/longer) will all affect warmth with the same fill weight of down.
Could probably add type of material the sacks made of to that list, but your going to have to do some very hard core research to compare what are the minor details of warmth compared to how much down there is.

Dirtygaiters
07-01-2007, 23:35

Thanks,

'Slogger

Why has no one mentioned the Western Mountaineering Versalite? :-? At 2lbs 0oz., it's 3 ounces heavier than the Marmot Helium, but it's rated to 10 degrees F, so the extra weight is actively keeping you warmer. What's 3oz between a weary body a warm cozy sleeping bag anyway?:)

OK, so there's not much difference, and if you want a 15 F bag for the 3oz less weight, then that's what you're going to get (or maybe you've already gotten it by now). But I think the Versalite is really the only other bag that's in the same league--I should probably say that the Marmot Helium is the only other bag that's in the same league as the WM Versailte, given that I prefer the Western bags over the Marmots--but whether you get the Helium or not, the Versalite is something to consider.

PS I own this bag and love it.

Dirtygaiters
07-01-2007, 23:52
Hey Footslogger, I've been looking for awhile at bags and about to get a new one myself and I don't think you can beat the Marmots right now. "They" all say the WM's are great and I'm sure they probably are but I'm afraid they might be more of a "bling bling" fad name monkey see monkey doo item. BECAUSE I've gone in to get one ( WM ) on more than one occasion and every time someone (employee) talks me out of it in the store when no one was looking. ( that hesitant look around before they say something negitive ) Most of the time I'm told the WM's lose a lot of down. I don't know I just know the Marmots really look good to me. Both the Helium and the Hydrogen and no one I've see has said anything at all bad about them. I think I'm going with the Hydrogen myself.

Eventidecu, I own two of WM's bags with their Extremelite fabric and can say that they are very downproof and I've owned several other down sleeping bags in my time which all leaked down faster than either of my Westerns. Although, I should qualify this since everybody here is talking about the Marmots: I've never used a Marmot bag (I have had experience with Pertex Quantum fabric and it feels very similar to the Extremelite fabric that WM uses). Your reasoning for thinking the Westerns aren't worthy is a kind of disturbing, though! I've learned over the years that it's a pretty darn bad idea to let a salesman "wink wink" me into making a decision about buying an expensive product. Always make your own decisions, and try to be as informed as possible before conversing with salesmen; these salesmen often have a lot more to gain by preferentially selling certain brands over others (i.e. not all products have the same profit margins), and the reasoning they give you for why you should choose brand X over brand Y could well be complete hogwash. In the case of your example, I can vouch that it is.

88BlueGT
04-09-2008, 12:10

I use the same thing (Helium w/ granit gear small comp sack) and the setup works awesome. I can get my bag down to the length of a remote and the width of about 1.5 nalgene bottles.

envirodiver
04-09-2008, 14:22
I use the same thing (Helium w/ granit gear small comp sack) and the setup works awesome. I can get my bag down to the length of a remote and the width of about 1.5 nalgene bottles.

While I use GG Compression sacks for clothing, I don't want to use them for my down bags. I may be overly cautious, concerning the extreme compression, but it makes me feel better. I've found that for optimal space utilization it works best for me to put my bag in a large silnylon bag and put it in the bottom of my pack, then load everyting on top. While it still compresses the bag, it doesn't get "hard as a rock", and the bag in that large sack spreads out to take up those little nooks and crannies left by the compressed items.

minnesotasmith
04-09-2008, 15:22
Nobody likes the Phantom? I thought it was supposed to be a top-notch down bag in its temp range for ULers.

88BlueGT
04-15-2008, 00:41
While I use GG Compression sacks for clothing, I don't want to use them for my down bags. I may be overly cautious, concerning the extreme compression, but it makes me feel better. I've found that for optimal space utilization it works best for me to put my bag in a large silnylon bag and put it in the bottom of my pack, then load everyting on top. While it still compresses the bag, it doesn't get "hard as a rock", and the bag in that large sack spreads out to take up those little nooks and crannies left by the compressed items.

I agree. It usually depends on how much I am packing. If I can get away with just stuffing it in the sack and not compressing it, thats what I do. If I need the extra space I compress it a little bit. I got the bag recently but I have never fully compressed it except for just experimenting with it.

summitnh
04-04-2009, 19:04
I own the marmot helium because it was the lightest most compactable bag I could find at 15deg

WILLIAM HAYES
04-04-2009, 21:32
I have the Helium EQ great bag lightweight exceptionally warm

Egads
04-04-2009, 22:49
Why has no one mentioned the Western Mountaineering Versalite? :-? At 2lbs 0oz., it's 3 ounces heavier than the Marmot Helium, but it's rated to 10 degrees F, so the extra weight is actively keeping you warmer. What's 3oz between a weary body a warm cozy sleeping bag anyway?:)

OK, so there's not much difference, and if you want a 15 F bag for the 3oz less weight, then that's what you're going to get (or maybe you've already gotten it by now). But I think the Versalite is really the only other bag that's in the same league--I should probably say that the Marmot Helium is the only other bag that's in the same league as the WM Versalite, given that I prefer the Western bags over the Marmots--but whether you get the Helium or not, the Versalite is something to consider.

You beat me to it. Good recommendation.

The Montbell UL Spiral Down Hugger is rated 15* and weighs in at 32 oz and you still get some of that wonderful stretch that makes MB bags so comfortable.

The Nunatak Alpinist weighs in at 21 oz for a medium (5'-10") but only carries a 20* rating. Definitely worth a look if you're a gram weenie.

The Valandre Mirage is rated at 23* and weighs 24 oz. Another bag worth a look.

The Mountain Hardware Phantom is rated 15* and weighs in at 33 oz

Marmot's website states the 2008 Helium weighs in at 31 oz, not 29 oz as reported in a few other posts. http://marmot.com/fall_2008/equipment/sleeping_bags/ultralight/helium_reg/info/details

Dogwood
04-04-2009, 23:22
Informative post Egads! I hope the OP recognizes a pattern here. There is little negative to say about the Marmot Helium. In my experience and when talking to others out on the trail people are consistently praising WM, Marmot, MontBell, Feathered Friends, and Nunatak bags. When I start out looking at WM and Marmot bags, which I have the greatest experience with, at least I know I'm comparing apples to apples because their temp. ratings are right on!

skinewmexico
04-05-2009, 01:06

Overcompress it, and it will still be damaged. Email Marmot, bet they say the same thing.