PDA

View Full Version : How much GORP?

vaporjourney
03-02-2007, 03:22
How much GORP do you guys carry typically for a 5 day or so stretch in between towns? On weekenders, I typically bought a jar of peanuts, mixed in an equal amount of raisins, and that was enough for 3 days or so. It would fill a gallon size ziploc about a 1/4 of the way. Then again, i wasn't so concerned with calories then either...

Peaks
03-02-2007, 10:36
How much do I carry? Typically, a 1 gallon zip lock bag worth. My Gorp is loaded with calories! So it's great for snacking.

How much do I allow when packing? Usually about 1 1/2 cups per day.

How much do I actually eat? That all depends on how much else I am eating. Typically, early in long distance hike I may not eat too much gorp, because my appetite has not caught up with me yet. But, later on, a 1 gallon bag may not last more than a couple of days.

That's me. Your own experience may vary, as well as the ingredients.

Bravo
03-02-2007, 10:46
I carry 1 to 1 1/2 cups per day. A mix of peanuts, raisins, and m&ms.

D'Artagnan
03-02-2007, 10:50
About 1 cup per day.

I heard some comments at the Southern Ruck in January that made a lot of sense to me which I had never considered. Namely, make sure you don't let someone else stick their hands in your bag of GORP when sharing. This is an easy way to spread nasty germs that you'll be ingesting. Food for thought (pun sadly intended). :rolleyes:

mountain squid
03-02-2007, 10:50
I usually carry a quart bag, maybe, half to 3/4 full. Keep it in my cargo pants pocket for easy access. When in town get some peanuts, m&m's, etc to top off with. Remember, don't DIP your hands into the bag. POUR into yours and others hands. No cross contamination that way.

As Peaks mentioned, how much you eat depends on what other snacks you might be carrying. I usually also have some candy bars, power bars, granola bars, etc to snack on through out the day.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-02-2007, 11:15
1 to 1.5 cups per day -- more if we graze instead of have lunch.

Webs
03-02-2007, 11:38
No gorp for me! Just straight dark chocolate, please! :p

Blissful
03-02-2007, 12:09
No gorp for me! Just straight dark chocolate, please! :p

Did you know Hersheys now have their bags of mini bars in different kinds of dark chocolate - like crispy, peanut and regular? Though that was neat. I got a bag of it at my going away gathering. I've thrown in handfuls in different mail drops. Oh, and another good thing - dark chocolate M&Ms. Excellent.

Footslogger
03-02-2007, 12:13
I don't always carry GORP ...but when I do I generally carry enough to allow for a quart sized ziplock full per day. In fact, if I have the presence of mind ahead of time I break it down in to individual ziplocs in my food bag.

Problem with GORP, at least for me, is that it gets OLD after a couple days. I like to mix things up a bit with my snacks. You can do that with GORP of course by creating different varieties.

'Slogger