PDA

View Full Version : snotrocketry vs hanky

mweinstone
03-02-2007, 07:00
questions ,comments, concerns, opinions? while snotrocketry is a growing hobbie, whats happening in the world of hankys? is this a right of hike grey area of the law? are we spreading germs? is this leaving a bad image in towns? just saw a city dude do it, he was lame. sounded like he didnt want anyone to hear.ill snotrocket in public on a busy street. is that wrong?

Schulo
03-02-2007, 07:26
I work with a guy that practices snotrocketry and I think it is rude. Would he be unoffended if I were to drop trou and jettison fecal matter everywhere? I think there is room for a little less social graces on the trail, but in the "real world" we should try not to blow our noses on the rest of the world.

mrc237
03-02-2007, 07:42
A hanky! Watts a hanky? Oh yeah, something you use when theres no tp.

Toolshed
03-02-2007, 08:01
On the farm, when you are with nothing but fields and 4leggers, or in the backcountry when you are alone it works just fine. Anywhere else is just rude.

STOKER
03-02-2007, 08:27
Im a big fan of the snot rocket. No tools required.As for doing it in town, well....im not so concerned w/ what others think of my habits, but id like to think that most trail towns are used to it.

GlazeDog
03-02-2007, 09:38
Im a big fan of the snot rocket. No tools required.

Yeah, I know!! Field maintaining a hanky is a pain in the back side.

:)

GlazeDog

timhines
03-02-2007, 09:42
I say carry a hanky. If you are in town surely it could wait till you hit a restroom and found some TP

Boat Drinks
03-02-2007, 09:44
Snot Rocketry? We used to call it the Gym teachers handkerchief!

Wanderingson
03-02-2007, 10:01
Snot rocketry is really a science. It takes lots of practice to launch an effective high velocity wad of drying phelm. It takes even much more practice to launch one on the move. With lot's of practice, you will be able to launch a clean one without leaving any rediudual phelm in your nostrils or clothing.

There are certain rules of etiquette to follow when launching a snot rocket. First and foremost, know your audience and secondly, pick your target wisely. no one needs to go around offending folks who know nothing about this fine art. If in doubt, just ask, "Mind if I launch ye ole snot rocket?". hehe. Wind velocity is yet another factor to consider when launching away.

Happy launching

bfitz
03-02-2007, 22:29
Hankey? We don't need no stinkin hanky....

Sly
03-02-2007, 23:11
Y'all don't carry trail name embroidered hanky's? How uncouth. :p

bfitz
03-02-2007, 23:49
I'm couth....

smokymtnsteve
03-02-2007, 23:57
it's -25 outside for the last 2 weeks...so i say just freeze it

Frosty
03-03-2007, 00:12
I work with a guy that practices snotrocketry and I think it is rude. Hopefully you two don't work in a restaurant. But snotrocketing outdoors fine. What is the problem? Who wants to carry a hanky full of snot in their pocket? Do with snot what you do with loogies: return them to Mother Earth.

Would he be unoffended if I were to drop trou and jettison fecal matter everywhere? You equate snotrocketry to taking a dump? So wiping your nose in public is the same as wiping your butt in public?

So what would the sniffles be, then? Reverse farts?

K0OPG
03-03-2007, 08:21
snotrockets??? we called it the "texas hankerchief" or the "Farmer's Blow".

Yes it is a science and it takes years or practice. You can tell a newbe trying to do it. he gets it all over his hand, face, upper lip, and even on his clothes. Dead givaway to a rookie.

Of course, with a large mustache. it does sometimes get caught in the hairs. Then you just wipe it off with the back of your hand and keep going!

Lone Wolf
03-03-2007, 08:24
hankies make sense. blow a big, nasty friggin goober into a piece of cloth and put it in your pocket or stuff it in your bra like older ladies do. repeat.

hopefulhiker
03-03-2007, 09:40
Use a bandana. Also can be used as a hat.. Multipurpose use ... it makes a good hair gel.....

spittinpigeon
03-03-2007, 10:05
Snot rocketry is really a science. It takes lots of practice to launch an effective high velocity wad of drying phelm. It takes even much more practice to launch one on the move. With lot's of practice, you will be able to launch a clean one without leaving any rediudual phelm in your nostrils or clothing.

There are certain rules of etiquette to follow when launching a snot rocket. First and foremost, know your audience and secondly, pick your target wisely. no one needs to go around offending folks who know nothing about this fine art. If in doubt, just ask, "Mind if I launch ye ole snot rocket?". hehe. Wind velocity is yet another factor to consider when launching away.

Happy launching

Golf Clap:banana Thank you very much Wanderingson, and to Matthewski. I was already laughing before I even opened the thread. Only to find a bigger laugh inside. I have to make a t-shirt with the "Dost ye care to bare witness to ye ole' snot rocket?" quote, thank you, thank you bunches.

Lilred
03-03-2007, 10:18
I was at a shelter last year when a youth group came up and camped nearby. One kid blew a snot rocket right in the path where everyone walks. The teacher came out in me and I tore that kid a new one!! It's rude, it's disgusting and it should only be done in private. Certainly not where people are going to be walking or putting gear down. Common sense folks.....

Topcat
03-03-2007, 18:49
Always turn away from people, dont get it on the trail or in the cooking/sleeping area, but for goodness sakes we are in the woods, nothing wrong with a snot rocket. I use my bandana for so many other things, dont want snot in it

mweinstone
03-03-2007, 21:02
in the future , people will spray poop. cause everything will be concrete and dirt will be valuble. sick? yes.

Brushy Sage
03-04-2007, 21:30
A pair of northbounders in 2002 had the trailnames Snot-rocket and Phlem. They were very nice young people. They had a great dog, too. I last saw them at the Big Walker motel in Bland, VA. If they read this, I hope they'll remind me of the dog's name. Thanks