PDA

View Full Version : 07, whos your minnesota smith?

mweinstone
03-02-2007, 07:04
do you guys have any stand out , wyoming skateboarder types or your own ms yet? anyone who everyone is talking about ? whos your mascott?

mindi
03-02-2007, 13:05
I'd volunteer myself, but I don't think I'm nearly colorful enough. I have a feeling someone will come to the forefront within the next several weeks.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-02-2007, 13:31
I thought Matthewski was already elected.

MrHappy
03-02-2007, 13:35
What defines a Minnesota Smith? Someone who takes 11 months to hike the trail? Someone who gets a thread about them? Someone who likes to put peanut butter in other people's beards?

We won't have a Minnesota Smith. We'll have our own legends and characters.

Lone Wolf
03-02-2007, 13:49
What defines a Minnesota Smith? Someone who takes 11 months to hike the trail? Someone who gets a thread about them? Someone who likes to put peanut butter in other people's beards?

you sound jealous.:D minnesotasmith is one-of-a-kind. there will never be another. most hikers are cookie-cutter sheeple. his legend will live on.:)

mindi
03-02-2007, 13:56
SHEEPLE?!? I love it!

Chris_Asheville
03-02-2007, 13:59
For us new guys (and girls), what makes his story so unique? I'm curious...

StarLyte
03-02-2007, 14:03
Again, "hike your own hike" comes to mind when I think of Minnesota Smith.

That means......don't take hiking so seriously that it interferes with the ability to enjoy and have fun.

The Minnesota Smith thread was informative, educational and for some (most of us), humorous. Regardless of how he hiked, he indeed thru-hiked it.

There were times when the thread was very serious. Yet, we were able to have fun with it.

There is nothing wrong with that.

Each step taken on the Appalachian Trail is a historical one. It's people, the same. Categorize them however you will.

To answer your kwestion Matty, yes I have many. This year I am following many hikers. I have many ideas. Who knows, maybe I'll start a new thread.

MrHappy
03-02-2007, 15:17
Whoops. I didn't mean to sounds jealous. I'm really not. I was trying to invoke the idea that MS was one of a kind, like Wolf said. It just didn't come out right.

Lone Wolf
03-02-2007, 15:26
Whoops. I didn't mean to sounds jealous. I'm really not. I was trying to invoke the idea that MS was one of a kind, like Wolf said. It just didn't come out right.

i know you're not. i'm just messin' with ya.

Wonder
03-02-2007, 15:48
I've already seen several hikers come through this year.....but so many are doing it "by the book" so to say. I'm going to follow many of them, and we'll see who I find!

Jack Tarlin
03-02-2007, 15:49
What book?

bfitz
03-02-2007, 15:50
What defines a Minnesota Smith? A good press agent. A compelling character. Good script. Likeable cast. Lots of "buzz".

bfitz
03-02-2007, 15:51
What book?
Wingfoot's.

Mother's Finest
03-02-2007, 16:40
What book?

could be by your book Jack, just e-published....

:) :)

peace
mf

RockStar
03-02-2007, 16:54
you sound jealous.:D minnesotasmith is one-of-a-kind. there will never be another. most hikers are cookie-cutter sheeple. his legend will live on.:)

I love you Marine!:p

Heater
03-02-2007, 16:57

Minnesotasmith was a thru-hiking GOD. Matthewski could have been a
thru-hiking GOD with an added degree of flatulance but the taxman confiscated his dreams. Now he is flatluant dreamer.

(_*_) Blaaaaaaaat...

Blissful
03-02-2007, 17:20
StarLyte, I just like your Avatar....
Awesome.

Blissful
03-02-2007, 17:29
Speaking of books, my agent wants me to write one when I get back. In fact she plans to throw the idea around to some houses while I'm gone to see if anyone bites. I had wanted to write a book, btw - but figured it would just be self published as many are. We'll see. Right now I gotta do this trail!!

Oh, and PLEASE don't tell Jack that it would be based more on a Christian angle ...so I'm gonna need those confrontations at shelters with trying to save lost souls to make this book authentic. (see shelter thread). And hope I don't end up in hell with bad water. he he he

galaleemc
03-02-2007, 18:13
GutHook

Yesterday it was his birthday. All he wanted to do was BAKE for HIS birthday. Wonder bought all the ingredients ahead of time. He settled in the Bunkhouse, cleaned up and started baking and had a GUSHER of a nose bleed. It took several tampons to stop it. Pies on hold; he was taken to emergency room to have it looked at. While the rest of us (Wonder, CoughDrop, Kentucky Blue, and Woodstock went out for a $30 10 pound pizza-that's another story). He was fine after a while Doc didn't do much.

So laugh at the tampon, but if you ever need them you won't. The Pies were amazing. Got one in the oven RIGHT NOW.

Dances with Mice
03-02-2007, 18:54
For us new guys (and girls), what makes his story so unique? I'm curious...Nothin', really. He just had a good PR agent.

Brrrb Oregon
03-02-2007, 19:42

I thought you were just reiterating that your handle was intentionally ironic.;)

GutHook

Yesterday it was his birthday. All he wanted to do was BAKE for HIS birthday. Wonder bought all the ingredients ahead of time. He settled in the Bunkhouse, cleaned up and started baking and had a GUSHER of a nose bleed. It took several tampons to stop it. Pies on hold; he was taken to emergency room to have it looked at. While the rest of us (Wonder, CoughDrop, Kentucky Blue, and Woodstock went out for a $30 10 pound pizza-that's another story). He was fine after a while Doc didn't do much.

So laugh at the tampon, but if you ever need them you won't. The Pies were amazing. Got one in the oven RIGHT NOW.

There are men who won't buy tampons, and then there are men who will consent to be photographed with a tampon up each nostril....strings dangling, no less. What amazes me are the men who, in absence of explanatory alcohol or drugs, fit into both groups even though they have passed what, in strict medical terms, is called adolescence. (By explanatory alcohol or drugs, I mean chemically-induced adolescence.....fearless, flamboyant, sometimes demonstratively empathetic but sometimes profoundly thoughtless, sometimes incredibly inventive, and yet sometimes inexplicably stupid.)

GutHook is not the name of someone I'd be in a rush to have making my dinner, at any rate. It's not a prejudice I couldn't overcome. I'd just not want to be his first target, er, dinner guest. No offense meant.

bfitz
03-02-2007, 22:08
Speaking of books, my agent wants me to write one when I get back. In fact she plans to throw the idea around to some houses while I'm gone to see if anyone bites. I had wanted to write a book, btw - but figured it would just be self published as many are. We'll see. Right now I gotta do this trail!!

Oh, and PLEASE don't tell Jack that it would be based more on a Christian angle ...so I'm gonna need those confrontations at shelters with trying to save lost souls to make this book authentic. (see shelter thread). And hope I don't end up in hell with bad water. he he he
Looking forward to it, maybe it'll be your soul that's gets retrieved....

mindi
03-02-2007, 23:43
I looked at GutHook's journal yesterday, and it made me wish I had started the trail earlier. Those pies looked GOOD.

jettjames
03-03-2007, 00:30
how does he post to trailjournals from the trail?

pt

spittinpigeon
03-03-2007, 00:42
I just heard over dinner in Dahlonega, that someone who might have had a pack on his back, and an army duffle bag on his front, and maybe was named one of the Characters brought forward in time on Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure, and maybe posts here, and it was NOT Napolean, Abraham Lincoln, Genghis Khan, Billy the Kid, Freud, Joan of Arc, Beethoven, or the two righteous princess babes.

Baum Trigger
03-03-2007, 00:45
Socrates!!

mindi
03-03-2007, 01:11
What did you hear of Socrates over dinner? I was eagerly trying to get to the end of that sentence...

mweinstone
03-03-2007, 09:31
ms was a wyoming skateboarder and so will all stand outs be refered. the chair declairs it. ws was the original.

Heater
03-03-2007, 09:37
ms was a wyoming skateboarder and so will all stand outs be refered. the chair declairs it. ws was the original.

ms was a ws cc? :eek:

Boat Drinks
03-03-2007, 11:33
GutHook

And shouldn't he have a new Trailname????:D

StarLyte
03-03-2007, 12:17
how does he post to trailjournals from the trail?

pt

I love questions like these......you will find out my friend. You will love it !

I gotta a little secret for ya too.....one place in particular that has a free computer, ALSO has free long distance!!!! :banana .....right next to the computer.

Hmmmmm

Have fun hiking!

StarLyte
03-03-2007, 12:19
And shouldn't he have a new Trailname????:D

You're not kidding!

I felt terrible looking at the picture. What a scary experience that must have been.

As for the Trail name change.....that's a whole different thread.....:D

StarLyte
03-03-2007, 12:20
Nothin', really. He just had a good PR agent.

HA! I'm surprised nobody caught this DOM ;)

And......shall the dogwood go down in history?

I think so!

galaleemc
03-03-2007, 13:21
Jettjames..........wireless internet we provide.
Mindi...............they were excellent! He is an awesome baker.
Guthook (appropriate name - here on the trout farm, but he got it before he came here) works for the AMC. He is an outstanding young man! Low key, easy going, smart, I can't say enough wonderful things about him. New trail name - maybe, but the trail name Gods weren;t here that day.

It was scarry for a few moments Starlyte. I mean it was a gusher. He was up for making this tense situation fun and Memorable, knowing he may be teased endlessly. He is the kind of hiker you want to STAY around. Not just cause he can bake. We also had fresh cinnamon rolls each morning.

briarpatch
03-03-2007, 21:17
I met him on springer, and Laura is right. He's easy to talk to, and has an excellent attitude. And he mentioned planning Cloud 9 for his first hostel experinence. Seems he's on a tight schedule and has to be finished in early July. Here's wishing him a safe and swift journey!

bfitz
03-04-2007, 05:53
Originally Posted by galaleemc
GutHook

And shouldn't he have a new Trailname????

Gusher? Or Tampon?

Wonder
03-04-2007, 22:34
Just take it as a warning!!!! If you start gushing blood around me.......I shall attack with tampax!!!!

RadioFreq
03-05-2007, 18:02
I thought Matthewski was already elected.

If you're looking for more unique political and social commentary in a "stream of conciousness" style he would be the natural choice. Especially after the way he carried the torch for MS last year.

If that's not your cup of tea then the "Blissful and family" thread would probably suit...seems like they've got a large following already.

Dances with Mice
03-05-2007, 19:19
Everyone should hold their noses tight if they're near Wonderfoot. Wait! That doesn't sound right....

Bliss and Bunyon are one of us. They deserve our support. I hope we continue to hear from them all the way to Maine and long afterwards.

Wonder
03-05-2007, 19:38
What can I say......I make first aid at Cloud 9.....if not fun, intresting at least.

mweinstone
03-06-2007, 08:54
the chair moves to hug wonderfoot.drops a snickers in her tips jar.

i learned how to speak like froliking dino. holds up sign with red circle with line thru picture of bleeding nose.

neo
03-06-2007, 10:15
do you guys have any stand out , wyoming skateboarder types or your own ms yet? anyone who everyone is talking about ? whos your mascott?

:) minnesota smith is one cool dude,i give him a 2 thumbs up,i really enjoyed talking with him at the hikers paradise in gorham last september.:cool: neo

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13066&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13041&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13065&catid=member&imageuser=3462

No Belay
03-06-2007, 16:26

Heard allot of snickering about some greenhorn named weinstone.

mweinstone
03-06-2007, 17:05
had a great conversation with minnesota smith last night. or was it the night before? anywho he called and told me whats up with his new geologic job and his progress on his book. hes still 30 lbs sub hike weight. or should i say 30 subs away from ....
and now ladies and gentalmen, i will devirginize a new box of 48 snickers right before your very eyes. ahh the joy of snix.........

mweinstone
03-06-2007, 17:24
had a great conversation with minnesota smith last night. or was it the night before? anywho he called and told me whats up with his new geologic job and his progress on his book. hes still 30 lbs sub hike weight. or should i say 30 subs away from ....
and now ladies and gentalmen, i will devirginize a new box of 48 snickers right before your very eyes. ahh the joy of snix.........

No Belay
03-06-2007, 20:17
NOOW you have my attention. 800 calories of pure nutritional utopia. The snickers I heard were true.

Savor Happy!

Wonder
03-06-2007, 23:06
MMmmmmmmm.........me likey snickers

Socrates
03-11-2007, 10:00
Socrates!!

Ok ok, so my pack is a Dana Design Glacier and comes in at 6 pounds. But I'm only carrying 40 to 45 pounds with food and water. 100 miles in... No blisters, no back aches, doing fine...

galaleemc
03-12-2007, 12:05
What is not shown in this photo is the Gigantic 30 oz Margarita he consumed prior to the one by his side. We were entertained the rest of the evening.:clap

mweinstone
03-12-2007, 17:19
yo sock-rat-tease. what. you got the name sock wipping rats in a shelter? you have a traveling rat act you set up in shelters and the big show is all about teasing rats? um,,,,, you carry hemlock in case your torn apart by rats that youve teased into a killing frenzy? seriously soc.....how many zeros have you consumed?

mweinstone
03-12-2007, 17:22
because two of those equals a double zero on the roulette wheel of gameing.and that would be grounds for being concidered a smith of some sort. if you catch my drift. i dont.