PDA

View Full Version : New backpack development...

mindi
03-02-2007, 11:03
As you may know by reading my other thread, I had a very hard time cramming all of my stuff into my Gregory G-pack, and though I finally got it all in there, it's extremely stuffed, funny-looking, and awkward.

This morning I woke up and suddenly remembered that someone gave me a backpack about a year and a half ago when I first decided to do the hike. I never planned on using it, stashed it into a closet, and promptly forgot all about it until today. I got up and dug it out.

It's an EMS 3000, men's pack, and the size is about right. It's a little heavier than the G-pack because it's padded a little more. There's definitely a LOT more room in it, though not as many outside pockets as I'd like.

What do you all think? Should I go ahead and take the chance on this bigger one for less hassle with gear-stuffing, or stick with the G-Pack?

Mindi

max patch
03-02-2007, 11:10
I think one of the keys to a successful hike is to minimize the hassle factor.

If your pack is as "extremely stuffed, funny-looking, and awkward' as you say when your packing it in your living room, how much more difficult is it going to be in a 30 degree drizzle packing up in the morning? How difficult is it going to be to get to your snacks/water/maps?

Assuming it fits I'd go with the bigger pack. Absolutely.

mountain squid
03-02-2007, 11:16
:-?I think I would go with whichever one is more comfortable and 'protects' your gear effectively (ie. your sleeping bag won't get wet).

Don't forget that whichever one you start with, when you get to Neels Gap, if it isn't working for you, you will see what they have on the shelves and have to make another decision...

Of course you could start with one and then switch to the other as Boston mentioned. Maybe do a maildrop at Neels and if you need the other one, you'll have it. If you don't need it, mail it back home.

Just some thoughts...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Lone Wolf
03-02-2007, 11:16
I think one of the keys to a successful hike is to minimize the hassle factor.

If your pack is as "extremely stuffed, funny-looking, and awkward' as you say when your packing it in your living room, how much more difficult is it going to be in a 30 degree drizzle packing up in the morning? How difficult is it going to be to get to your snacks/water/maps?

Assuming it fits I'd go with the bigger pack. Absolutely.

what he says. you can switch out later when it warms up and you figure the hiking thing out

mindi
03-02-2007, 11:35
Thanks, guys! I just needed a little reassurance, I suppose. I think I'll load up the bigger pack and see how everything fits and how it feels on several walks up and down the hill. Then switch it out through the mail later if need be.

It's amazing how it seems as though the stars keep aligning for me in favor of this hike. Every time I get frustrated or something goes wrong, I get a sudden idea, or a message from a whiteblazer, or a package in the mail that fixes everything.

:) Mindi

weary
03-02-2007, 11:39
As someone mentioned, you may have practiced hassles in your living room, but you haven't really experienced them until you get on the trail. Absolutely start with the larger pack.

As spring progresses, clothing needs lessen, and you settle into a comfortable hiking style you may want to change. But decide that when the time comes -- probably someplace north of the Smokies.

Weary

Blissful
03-02-2007, 11:59
Yeah, Mindi! So glad you have a solution there. Sometimes things really are lying right underneath our noses (it's happened to me more ways than I can count). :)

Toolshed
03-02-2007, 13:57
Mindy,
I have a couple of EMS 3,000's that I have owned for at least a decade now. I carry them in the winter loaded with about 35lbs of gear when climbing. Over 35-40lbs, they are uncomfortable.
They have limited adjustment (but I don't know what your other pack has) but will take a good pounding.
If your 3,000 is a top loader with a drawstring closure top (it does not have a big zipper that goes all around tit like an inverted U) then you can probably fit about 3,500 CI's in it. I'd go with it if everything fits in and as B said, change up - Especially if you go to lighter clothes and smaller bag and such as teh weather warms up..
Good Luck

Cuffs
03-02-2007, 14:08
(it does not have a big zipper that goes all around tit like an inverted U)

Now that cracks me up!!!

Frosty
03-02-2007, 15:57
I have an EMS 3000T (T for top loading) that I like. I use it for weekend backpacking (when I carry a lot more stuff), and for winter dayhiking. It's a nice pack.

In your case, why not start out with it? It has room and a big expansion collar. When you get rid of some clothing and cool weather gear, you can switch down to your other pack.

Programbo
03-02-2007, 21:11
I would definitely go with the bigger pack IF it does indeed fit well...Also I wouldn`t worry about the pack itself being heavier..If a heavier pack carries the weight in a more natural manner you will conserve more energy..Just make sure you load the pack properly so the weight is higher up and over your bodies natural center of gravity..Heavier items higher up and in towards your body....I would assume there are optional side pockets avaliable for this pack if you have time to get some locally

Knees
03-03-2007, 14:13
The G-pack is a fine pack to thru-hike in. The EMS would work just as well, I'm sure. Gear is just gear--there's nothing magical about it.

If you are more comfortable using the EMS, then take it.

Without being able to see pictures of what you have (and how it's packed), it's hard to see if the G-pack really is too small, or if we can help you get things packed better. If you are able to put up some pictures that show in detail how you're packing things and what it looks like, this would help us give you better feedback.