PDA

View Full Version : I need a pack cover .............

Scrub
03-02-2007, 11:45
I need a pack cover to fit a Camp Trails Catskill. Does anyone have any suggestions? I do not remember the CI of the pack so I am not sure if I need an L or XL.

highway
03-02-2007, 11:55
Pack cover?
Alternatives:
Put stuff in silnylon bags
use a poncho as rain gear

saimyoji
03-02-2007, 12:03
I need a pack cover to fit a Camp Trails Catskill. Does anyone have any suggestions? I do not remember the CI of the pack so I am not sure if I need an L or XL.

I picked up a seatosummit 90L cordura pack cover and it fits great, even with my super large ThermaRest lashed to the outside. Used it in a torrential rain, kept my pack dry then served as a gear shelter during the night. Highly recommend. Campmor also has some good pack covers.

Since you don't know the CI, take it to an outfitter to size it.

saimyoji
03-02-2007, 12:04
I picked up a seatosummit 90L cordura pack cover and it fits great, even with my super large ThermaRest lashed to the outside. Used it in a torrential rain, kept my pack dry then served as a gear shelter during the night. Highly recommend. Campmor also has some good pack covers.

Since you don't know the CI, take it to an outfitter to size it.

Oh yeah, I use a CampTrails Wilderness internal frame pack.

headonkey
03-02-2007, 12:07
I just sewed my own out of silnylon. It was SUPER easy an only weighs a couple of ounces.

jettjames
03-02-2007, 12:10
i think this a pretty cool produsct and will be buying one. you can hang stuff in it, use it for water, use it as a siting tarp, and use it as a pack cover

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Jeffs%20Gear%20Hammock-Pack%20Cover.htm

Scrub
03-02-2007, 12:22
I may try to make one..............Where would I get silnylon near Wilson/Rocky Mount NC?......... and do I need a pattern or is it just a flat sheet, with some cord and a cord lock sewn into the outer seam?

If that does not work, then I may take jettjames suggestion for the JacksrBetter multipurpose "thingie".....

headonkey
03-05-2007, 09:49
I sewed mine just like that one. It can be used as a sack/water bag/pack cover/gear tarp. I just rolled the edge to provide something to run the cord through. To put it on the pack, you slip your hipbelt through the cord that is exposed at the bottom corners. You also have to put an opening for the cordlock at the top in the center. That's the only way to get it to cinch up right. If that's too confusing, I can post pics.

Scrub
03-05-2007, 11:02
I would appreciate a pic that shows the corners a little closer. My wife says she can help me make one, but I would like a closer look.

Bilko
03-05-2007, 11:15
I suggest you go with a store bought. They are not too expensive. The good ones work great and are made out of high quality material. The workmanship will be dependable. Unless of course your wife is a good seamstress. And if that is the case have her make me one.

Scrub
03-05-2007, 11:41
My wife can make simple costumes for dance recitals, so she should be able to make me something if I can get a good look at one. My main concern is that I am not sure if I need to cut and seam the corners, or if I need to just roll an edge for the cord and notch it out for attatching at corners and cord locks.