PDA

View Full Version : Northern VA during early April???

dscostu
03-02-2007, 13:47
Any good suggestions for early April (approx 30+ miles) in VA. I am a teacher and have spring break (oh yeah!!) My buddy lives in VA and we want to do a couple days in his state. I read that N. VA is a good start.(?) I was thinking about all of map 8 (Snickers Gap to Chester Gap).(???) I am new but motivated...what do ya got for me? I really appreciate all of you expertise! :confused:

Lone Wolf
03-02-2007, 13:51
Shenandoah Nat. Park

dscostu
03-02-2007, 14:04
Thanks Wolf! Why? Is it more isolated? Weather better? More scenic? What weather should I gear up for in early April in VA? Thanks again!!

Pedaling Fool
03-02-2007, 14:09
I second Shenandoah National Park (SNP). It is, imo, the easiest section of the AT - good for a break-in hike. It also has some great views and you'll have a good chance to see a lot of wildlife, such as deer, bear... Although, deer are not really "wildlife" in SNP.

dscostu
03-02-2007, 14:15
Thanks for the quick replies! Is there a specific part of SNP that are better than others. I happen to have the guide/maps for that section and will check it out tonight. I got to give props to the help that a new guy can get here! Thanks to all!

wallace
03-02-2007, 14:58
SNP is a great choice. There are a lot of blue blaze trails that offer some exceptional hikes. My favorite is a circuit hike titled Cedar Run/White Oak Canyons. As I recall, it is about 14 miles for the circuit. It descends down the cedar run canyon and then back up white oak canyon. White oak canyon has 6 water falls and cedar run has one.

I see you are from the Philly area. When I go down, I take 95 to 495 around DC then pick up 66 West. Enter the park at Thorton Gap where 211 crosses Skyline Drive. Look at a map. You will go through Warrentown to get there. I always leave the Philly area at 4 am to avoid traffic on the beltway and on 66W. If you try to do 495 and 66W any other time of the day other than late at night, you will be stuck in frustrating traffic. It is worth getting up early to avoid.

When you enter the park at 211, you can get your back country camping permit there. The park charges a nominal fee to get in and the camping permit is free. The people at the gate can probably give you touristy type of map showing the above circuit as well as others.

NICKTHEGREEK
03-02-2007, 15:05
Any good suggestions for early April (approx 30+ miles) in VA. I am a teacher and have spring break (oh yeah!!) My buddy lives in VA and we want to do a couple days in his state. I read that N. VA is a good start.(?) I was thinking about all of map 8 (Snickers Gap to Chester Gap).(???) I am new but motivated...what do ya got for me? I really appreciate all of you expertise! :confused:
Plan SNP around a day to go up Old Rag Mt. While not in SNP, it is easy to get to. PATC Map10 Trailhead at mm 38.5 for Nicholson Hollow Trail along the Hughes River. Camp near the Hughes then set out without your packs to scramble up Old Rag. It's a Virginia treasure. I believe there's a great route guide at HikingUpward.com

Blissful
03-02-2007, 15:20
If you only want to do the AT - Shenandoah is more interesting than Northern VA, IMO. Others are describing circuit hikes using alternate trails, mainly in the central section of the park, which is very nice as the AT is mostly a ridge walk through the park (with some minor mountain climbs). But the northern section of the AT through SNP (Thorton Gap to Chester Gap - close to 30 miles) is scenic and you can do side scramble trips up Compton Peak, Fort Windham rocks for views. We also skipped a tiny section of the AT and walked down the Skyline Drive for the view off Hogback Overlook which was spectacular. Gravel Springs Hut is a good place to stay, and so is Tom Floyd Wayside. The spring at the wayside should be alright in early spring. I've heard sometimes it's slow. Elkwallow Wayside on the Skyline Drive will probably be closed though, so no food.

I'd plan for some cool temps below freezing and bring a 20 degree bag.

dscostu
03-02-2007, 16:19
Ok, I am going to change plans and go review the SNP section. I guess one reason that I focused on the more northern sections was the weather. I read that it is a bit warmer. However, I have enough warm gear for the colder sections (I hope). Where else could I get so much great info but here...Thanks to all!!
PS. I hope my 32* bag will do along with wearing a highloft jacket and wool long underwear...

Programbo
03-04-2007, 21:47
When I go down, I take 95 to 495 around DC then pick up 66 West. Enter the park at Thorton Gap where 211 crosses Skyline Drive. Look at a map. You will go through Warrentown to get there.....

That`s the way I go...When you go across 66 jump onto Rt 29 which is the road that takes you down to Warrenton and then pick up 211...OR you can avoid all the DC traffic by getting on I-70 on the west side of Baltimore and then taking that to Rt 340 and down to Front Royal

dscostu
03-05-2007, 15:49
Thanks to all! I am guessing around High 50's Low 25's (???) for the first week of April. Does any one have experience with the weather during that time of year? I am thinking about the south section...is there any good camping along Loft Mountain (the campground is closed...I think). Please let me know if you have any suggestions? It will be my first time down there...looking forward to it.

jlb2012
03-05-2007, 16:19
yep Loft Mtn Campground would be closed in early April - as for campsites I have seen people stealth camping near the Ivy Creek Maintenance Hut (good pipe spring; less than a mile north of campground iirc) There is another stealth site a tenth or two north of where the AT crosses Ivy Creek (down and to the right in NOBO). Neither one of these sites is legal because they are too close to Skyline Drive - other than that the usual stealth techniques apply - don't draw attention to yourself and you should be OK. If you are hammocking there are other sites further down Ivy Creek that are probably legal but I don't know about tent sites. On the south side of Loft Mtn. about all I can think of is the junction of Jones Run and Doyle Creek - a couple miles off of the AT but nice water falls - cross Jones Run just before the junction and there are some campsites there - questionably legal since some of the sites are too close to the streams.

wallace
03-05-2007, 16:28
I am guessing around High 50's Low 25's (???) for the first week of April. Does any one have experience with the weather during that time of year?This link will give you weather data at Big Meadows http://www.usatoday.com/weather/resources/climate/almanac-va-shenandoah-np.htm

Skyline
03-05-2007, 16:54
April weather in SNP can be a crapshoot. One week we'll be almost balmy, the next cold and rainy. There could even be some snow.

I'd combine some ridgeline walking on the AT with some loops that will get you away from high elevation for camping if the weather isn't to your liking. In the South District, you might consider the Jones Run/Doyles River Trail as an AT bypass and camp near where the two creeks merge. Maybe spend some time in the Big Run area.

You should get PATC's maps for whichever SNP section(s) you plan to hike in, along with their SNP trails guide. Other loops will suggest themselves. Buy online at www.patc.net.

We have had a lot of ice storm damage in the Park this winter. You might want to check with SNP about conditions on specific side trails before setting a final itinerary. Some have been cleared, some have not. The AT is generally in good shape, tho, with only the occasional downed tree to navigate over/under/around.

Creek Dancer
03-05-2007, 16:58
What Skyline said.

Also, you may find the southern district to be less crowded than the central and northern districts. Of course, in early April, you probably won't see too many people anyway because the campgrounds will not be open yet. The southern district would be a longer drive for you though.

The PATC might also have information on trail conditions.

dscostu
03-05-2007, 17:11
Sounds great! Thanks, to all, for the weather site and the side trail camping ideas. I am game! How well blazed are the Doyles River and Jones Run trails?

Creek Dancer
03-05-2007, 17:21
The Doyles River and Jones Run trails are very well blazed, but I do not know the current conditions (blow downs, etc). There are two or three waterfalls and some creek crossings. You can do a loop hike using the AT. This is one of my favorite hikes.

jlb2012
03-05-2007, 17:23
Doyles River and Jones Run are well blazed / easy to follow / popular trails due to the falls - don't know current conditions however - they may have some blowdown that is yet to be removed

NICKTHEGREEK
03-05-2007, 17:27
This link will give you weather data at Big Meadows http://www.usatoday.com/weather/resources/climate/almanac-va-shenandoah-np.htm

This link http://www.hypernews.org/HyperNews/get/trails/PATC.html will get you started on the PATC forums. The best location for SNP info.

dperry
03-08-2007, 22:45
That`s the way I go...When you go across 66 jump onto Rt 29 which is the road that takes you down to Warrenton and then pick up 211...OR you can avoid all the DC traffic by getting on I-70 on the west side of Baltimore and then taking that to Rt 340 and down to Front Royal

If you're going on a weekday, and you don't feel like getting up early, since you live in the northwest part of the Philly area anyway, you could also jump on the PA Turnpike to I-81 at Carlisle and go down that way. It's not that much longer, and with the time you save not dealing with the Blue Route, Wilmington, Baltimore, and the DC Beltway, you'll probably come out ahead (not to mention much less stressed!)

dscostu
03-09-2007, 16:12
Thanks! I have decided that I will be head down to Woodbridge Va (buddies house) the night before. I can't stand the 95 traffic. This way I can miss all of the many rush hours. I can't wait! I just hope the weather is moderate to great! How are the SNP south section huts?

Fannypack
03-09-2007, 16:31
see this thread 2007 SNP Openings (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22444)