PDA

View Full Version : Question about Knorr/Liptons pastas..

mindi
03-02-2007, 13:53
I was planning on sticking some of the Knorr's or Liptons pasta packets into my food bag, but upon reading the directions I noticed that most of them require you to add milk and/or butter. Would I need to carry powdered milk also? Seems like a pain when I can make easymac or ramen or hamburger helper singles with just plain water. Is there some kind that takes only water that I missed?

Lone Wolf
03-02-2007, 13:55
I was planning on sticking some of the Knorr's or Liptons pasta packets into my food bag, but upon reading the directions I noticed that most of them require you to add milk and/or butter. Would I need to carry powdered milk also? Seems like a pain when I can make easymac or ramen or hamburger helper singles with just plain water. Is there some kind that takes only water that I missed?

nope. just water is fine. don't worry about butter/milk.

RiverWarriorPJ
03-02-2007, 13:58
Sure.....water alone is fine.....the milk thickens it a lil....but not a bad idea 2 bring along a baggie of powdered milk.....Have a GREAT hike..

Toolshed
03-02-2007, 14:03
My standard (even when I wasn't on the trail :) ) Water is fine with a touch of olive oil. What also really helps thicken it is a spoonful of non-dairy coffee creamer - If you are a coffee drinker and use it, you now have 2 uses for it.:cool:

Footslogger
03-02-2007, 14:10
Not as tasty with just water but they work. Guess you could put a little powdered milk in the mix ...but I never tried that.

Consider carrying (if you don't already) a small bottle of olive oil. Adds a nice touch to the pasta.

'Slogger

Jack Tarlin
03-02-2007, 15:34
Mindi:

Powdered milk (in one quart packets) is found pretty commmonly on the Trail; also look in hiker boxes at hostels where it's very frequently to be found. Liptons work (i.e. they taste) better with butter, but it's not required. Some folks who don't want to carry squeeze butter carry a small bottle of something like "Butter Buds" which you'll find in the spice section of any large market, it seems to work well. Also, the Lipton rice dishes will work with just water, tho butter helps a lot; it's pretty much the pasta entrees that "require"
added milk.

weary
03-02-2007, 15:43
All work without either milk or butter. But milk is the lightest weight protein one can carry on the trail and is a source of calcium, both of which hikers especially need. And butter -- or for trail use liquid margarine or olive oil -- provides the most calories per ounce of any trail food.

So I carry some of each and look for opportunities to add them to my food, rather than finding ways to avoid there use.

Weary

Captn
03-02-2007, 15:53
You can also just carry some Ramen (toss out the flavor packet), a bit of olive oil, and some powdered garlic (or italian spices) for one of your dishes .... This is one of my favorites.

You can toss in some crumbled precooked bacon, some minced jerky, a couple of parmasian cheese packets, some crushed red pepper, some liptons cup a soup (just about any flavor), or some powdered sauce mixes, such as alfredo) from the spice section of the supermarket. The Bear Creek soups are great alone or with extras too .... like potato soup and fresh cubed trout is a REAL taste treat.

The Ramen is fried and has a lot of Fat already in it ... so it replaces the milk and butter fat really well. The seasonings are only for taste. Just remember ... if you're cooking it in a freezer bag, cut the boiling water in half ... you can always add a bit of cold water after it's cooked.

Angel hair pasta can work, instant rice tends to get a bit sticky, but can also work.

mindi
03-02-2007, 17:04
Thanks, everyone! I already have a small bottle of olive oil and some seasoning to add to stuff, so I think I'm set. Now to do some more shopping!

Sly
03-02-2007, 17:13
Take care when you're using powdered milk. It tends to sink to the bottom of your pot and burn. I add mine on top of the Lipton ingredients and wait for the water to boil before mixing.

sarbar
03-02-2007, 17:39
You don't need the milk as noted, but it does add flavor and calories. Any dry milk will work for the most part, and just toss in 1-2 Tbl of it with your dry stuff :)

Jack Tarlin
03-02-2007, 17:55
One more milk comment: Not all powdered milks are created equal. The best one I've found is called "Nido" and unfortunately isn't widely available. I usually get some in the Outfitter at Hot Springs, and carry enough to last me awhile. It really does taste better than other brands.

Ewker
03-02-2007, 17:57
I was out of milk Sunday so I fixed a bowl of cereal using Nido...good stuff. Cheapest place I have found to buy it is Wal Mart

Peaks
03-02-2007, 18:24
I'll agree with Jack on powered milk.

For butter, I use bring along something like butter buds, or squeeze parkay. good calorie per ounce ration in parkay, as well as olive oil.

sloopjonboswell
03-02-2007, 21:41
repost, pour your hot water into your lipton bag (lined with foil, water+whatever) and wait 6-8min. it might be a little crunchy on the bottom but you wont have to wash that crap out of the pot you boiled the water in. thanks tober.

Spirit Walker
03-02-2007, 21:49
NIDO is whole milk, which is why it tastes better than the usual nonfat dried milks. A lot of stores carry it in the ethnic foods department. Nido is Spanish for nest - so I suppose it's the hispanic version of Nestles.

RiverWarriorPJ
03-02-2007, 21:53
Thanks, everyone! I already have a small bottle of olive oil and some seasoning to add to stuff, so I think I'm set. Now to do some more shopping!

It won't work.........You'll be back 3 years after your hike & still get posts about powdered milk/olive oil......lol..

sloopjonboswell
03-02-2007, 22:03
It won't work.........You'll be back 3 years after your hike & still get posts about powdered milk/olive oil......lol..
yeah, sounds like extra weight to me.

sloopjonboswell
03-02-2007, 22:05
still seem like easy/worth it calories to me, anyone for a dehydrated milk debate?

weary
03-02-2007, 22:53
still seem like easy/worth it calories to me, anyone for a dehydrated milk debate?
What's to debate? Powdered milk provides the lightest protein available. Mixed in small amounts with the usual trail stuff it's virtually tasteless.

Just add it to as many cooked meals as possible, but remember it tends to burn on, so add at the end of the cooking, not at the beginning.

Weary

mindi
03-03-2007, 00:01
Well, milk doesn't agree with me so well (although don't be surprised if you see me saying lactose be damned and downing an ice cream in town). I usually use soy milk on my cereal. I don't know if they make powdered soy milk, but the idea of reconstituted soy milk doesn't sound so appetizing. I think I'll stick to water and olive oil and see how it works out. Thanks for the tips, everyone!

sarbar
03-03-2007, 00:32
Mindi, Better Than Milk's powdered soy milk is very good, and it actually blends better than dry dairy milk! You can get it in some grocery stores and on Amazon.

Wanderingson
03-03-2007, 00:53
One more milk comment: Not all powdered milks are created equal. The best one I've found is called "Nido" and unfortunately isn't widely available. I usually get some in the Outfitter at Hot Springs, and carry enough to last me awhile. It really does taste better than other brands.

I'll have to agree that Nido is the way to go. It's a full cream powdered milk--very abundent out here in Kuwait.

Food is one of those "luxury items" I consider worth the extra weight. I carry many pouches of dehydrated and powdered products. The link below is for a powdered butter. Great stuff and certainly work a loook.

http://www.spicesetc.com/product/709/3

I also use a bunch of ziplock type bags for my powdered goodies. The only pain in the a$$ is getting the powder in the locking closure. These little bags come in many mini sizes which helps for those rare use items as well.

http://www.gramur.com/zip-combo.html

I'm a big fan of powders to kick it up a notch

http://www.gramur.com/zip-combo.html

peanuts
03-03-2007, 09:50
nido is made by nestles....