PDA

View Full Version : Bounce Box

Boat Drinks
03-02-2007, 14:41
I'd like to get some info regarding bounce boxes. Please address some or all of the following points.
1. How does the bounce box work. when you get it from the post/office bidness that is holding it, you open it take out what you need, then put stuff in it and seal it back up and then what? Forward it or do you have to pay more postage? Does your bounce box get beat up?
2. what do you put in/get out of your bounce box
3. How do you know where to send it?
4. has anyone ever lost theirs? The Post Office I mean...
5. How do you label it each stop?

Footslogger
03-02-2007, 14:50
I'd like to get some info regarding bounce boxes. Please address some or all of the following points.
1. How does the bounce box work. when you get it from the post/office bidness that is holding it, you open it take out what you need, then put stuff in it and seal it back up and then what? Forward it or do you have to pay more postage? Does your bounce box get beat up?

If you open it up and reseal it you have to pay postage. Otherwise you stated it correctly. I kept a roll of packaging tape inside mine for resealing. I also carried a list of PO telephone numbers and at least 3 - 4 times called and had them "push" my box up to the next PO if I didn't need it.

2. what do you put in/get out of your bounce box

Mostly stuff I bought in bulk ahead of my hike that was hard to find along the trail. I also kept extra socks, SuperFeet, shoe laces, batteries (AA lithiums - although those are easier to find nowadays), medicines and first aid supplies.
3. How do you know where to send it?

Kept a listing of PO's and hostels with me. Just estimate my arrival/needs and picked a spot up the trail about 2 weeks or so. Usually worked out great.

4. has anyone ever lost theirs? The Post Office I mean...

Not me personally. My box was always right where I sent it when I got there. Just use Priority Mail and give it adequate time to reach the destination.

5. How do you label it each stop?

I made 2" x 4" labels ahead of time for all PO's and/or hostels I thought/knew I'd be using and stuck them in my bounce box. Couldn't have been easier.

'Slogger

Retriever
03-02-2007, 18:29
'Slogger - Thanks for the advice. Didn't think I would bother w/ a bounce box until I read your post. A whole new perspective. Regards, Tom (Retriever, NOBO Mar 13, '07)

Jack Tarlin
03-02-2007, 18:51
One piece of advice: For a lot of folks, Bounce Boxes end up not only containing things hikers need in the next town, but they also end up holding a lot of junk......mail, postcards, Trail souvenirs, extra clothes, used maps and guidebooks, etc. This stuff should be given away, thrown out, or sent home periodically. If you don't do this, you will end up spending a ton of money mailing and re-mailing yourself some of the same stuff nineteen times as your bounce box grows progressively heavier. The souvenirs, old maps, un-read novel, and extra Tee shirt you didn't need in Franklin won't become any more useful in Waynesboro, but you will have spent ninety bucks sending them there, fifty miles at a time. If your bounce box ever costs more than six or seven bucks to mail, you've got too much crap in it.

sloopjonboswell
03-02-2007, 21:48
first bounce box in fontana it is.

Boat Drinks
03-02-2007, 22:09
One piece of advice: For a lot of folks, Bounce Boxes end up not only containing things hikers need in the next town, but they also end up holding a lot of junk......mail, postcards, Trail souvenirs, extra clothes, used maps and guidebooks, etc. This stuff should be given away, thrown out, or sent home periodically. If you don't do this, you will end up spending a ton of money mailing and re-mailing yourself some of the same stuff nineteen times as your bounce box grows progressively heavier. The souvenirs, old maps, un-read novel, and extra Tee shirt you didn't need in Franklin won't become any more useful in Waynesboro, but you will have spent ninety bucks sending them there, fifty miles at a time. If your bounce box ever costs more than six or seven bucks to mail, you've got too much crap in it.

As always Jack, nice advice!

Grampie
03-03-2007, 12:36
Before you decide on all that. Consider not using one unless you have special need that are not available in towns along the trail. Most stuff that you need can be brought along the way.
It can be a pain in the neck to have to get into a town to go to the PO just to get the box and forward it. :-?

Boat Drinks
03-05-2007, 10:08
Yeah, I was thinking about that. I got a ton of those little sample deodorant bars, razors and body wash, left overs from last year's spring break survival gift bags. thought maybe that would be cool to have once in a while. Also, doesn't it make sense to send yourself things like denatured alcohol and olive oil for refilling? Cause if you buy these at a store, you have to dump or leave the leftovers right??

No Belay
03-05-2007, 10:39
Yeah, I was thinking about that. I got a ton of those little sample deodorant bars, razors and body wash, left overs from last year's spring break survival gift bags. thought maybe that would be cool to have once in a while. Also, doesn't it make sense to send yourself things like denatured alcohol and olive oil for refilling? Cause if you buy these at a store, you have to dump or leave the leftovers right??

That's where the hiker boxes at most of the hostels come into play. Give freely of your extras and and gratefully take what you need.

Savor Happy!

lvleph
03-05-2007, 12:18
Before you decide on all that. Consider not using one unless you have special need that are not available in towns along the trail. Most stuff that you need can be brought along the way.
It can be a pain in the neck to have to get into a town to go to the PO just to get the box and forward it. :-?
what about extra shoes? That would be the type of thing I would want in a bounce box.

Footslogger
03-05-2007, 12:23
what about extra shoes? That would be the type of thing I would want in a bounce box.

======================================

Given the size of a box necessary to hold your shoes, in addition to the other things in a bounce box, I would suggest you just mail them to yourself at a given mileage point (roughly the life expectancy of the shoes) rather than having them in a box that you will be constantly moving/mailing up the trail.

'Slogger

Jim Adams
03-05-2007, 12:26

If you have already bought more shoes to use later in your hike, leave them home and have someone send them when you need them.
I used to buy extra shoes ahead of time but have since stopped that practice. I buy any needed shoes along the way because you never know ahead of time how they will fit due to feet swelling, feet flattening and changing sizes, etc.:-?
geek

lvleph
03-05-2007, 13:56
If you have already bought more shoes to use later in your hike, leave them home and have someone send them when you need them.
I used to buy extra shoes ahead of time but have since stopped that practice. I buy any needed shoes along the way because you never know ahead of time how they will fit due to feet swelling, feet flattening and changing sizes, etc.:-?
geek
My biggest problem is the size 7 foot I have. It is not always easy for me to find shoes in my size.

Jim Adams
03-05-2007, 14:19
My biggest problem is the size 7 foot I have. It is not always easy for me to find shoes in my size.

Yes, I understand that but think about this.:-?
I started my first thru with size 9 feet. I had worn 8 1/2--9 all of my adult life. Half way thru my hike, my shoes seemed to be too tight. By the time I finished my hike and got home, my feet were size 10's. I started my second thru with size 10's and when I finished my feet were 10 1/2. Now I just bought new hiking shoes for my PCT thru this year and had to buy SIZE 11. I'm not sure about other people but it seems like the more I hike, the more my feet seem to get bigger. I don't think they are growing...I think that they are flattening and spreading out more. Either way, my shoe size has increased 1 1/2--2 sizes since age 38.
Lone Wolf and Nean to name a few, have far more hiking miles than me. You may want to see if they have the same problem.

geek

Jim Adams
03-05-2007, 14:22
I started my first thru with size 9 feet. I had worn 8 1/2--9 all of my adult life. Half way thru my hike, my shoes seemed to be too tight. By the time I finished my hike and got home, my feet were size 10's. I started my second thru with size 10's and when I finished my feet were 10 1/2. Now I just bought new hiking shoes for my PCT thru this year and had to buy SIZE 11. I'm not sure about other people but it seems like the more I hike, the more my feet seem to get bigger. I don't think they are growing...I think that they are flattening and spreading out more. Either way, my shoe size has increased 1 1/2--2 sizes since age 38.
Lone Wolf and Nean to name a few, have far more hiking miles than me. You may want to see if they have the same problem.

geek

P.S. I figure that by the time I turn 60, my feet should be big enough to RUN across the surface of water and fording will have a whole new meaning!:D
geek

Ewker
03-05-2007, 14:34

geek

just wondering if your shoe size increasing has to do that most shoes are made overseas now. Their system for measurements are probably different than what the US shoe makers used.

Jim Adams
03-05-2007, 14:37
just wondering if your shoe size increasing has to do that most shoes are made overseas now. Their system for measurements are probably different than what the US shoe makers used.

Could very well be. All I know is that most people who don't hike still wear the same size.
geek:-?

lvleph
03-05-2007, 14:49

geek
It is possible that my feet get bigger, but I would doubt it. I am a skateboarder, if all the stresses I have put on them in the 16yrs (5+ hours a day, almost every day) I have skated didn't make them larger I doubt walking will. But I have never done that long of a hike. President's Range in NH was my longest hike.

Footslogger
03-05-2007, 15:00
The majority of the so-called "foot enlargment" during a distance hike is caused by (1) swelling and (2) foot elongation.

Not too much you can do about the swelling other than Motrin, elevation and frequent brakes/massaging the feet.

Elongation can be influenced by the use of a quality footbed that supports the arch and stabilizes the heel so that the foot does not migrate forward in the shoe/boot.

'Slogger