PDA

View Full Version : Weight

nuwatiman
03-02-2007, 14:47
What is a good average weight for a tent and a sleeping bag?

vaporjourney
03-02-2007, 14:54
This is a really subjective question, but I guess maybe 5 pounds would be a decent weight, although you could easily get down to 4 pounds with a bit of research. Get a TarpTent Rainbow shelter which is 2 lbs, and then an expensive 20 deg sleeping bag like the Western Mountaineering Ultralite at less than 1 lb 10 oz. I've got a TarpTent Rainbow and a Nunatak Arc Alpinist 20 deg quilt, and i'm very happy with this setup. Quilts aren't for everyone (and i'm a cold sleeper!), nor are tarptents, but just a small amount of research will let you lose either or both. Best of luck...

bigcranky
03-02-2007, 15:34
How many people need to sleep in this hypothetical tent? A traditional double-wall solo tent will weight around 4 lbs on average, though you can get some that are just under 3 pounds. A Tarptent (brand name) weighs around 2 pounds, and provides the same protection as a traditional tent. A flat or shaped tarp can be down around 8-12 ounces, and provides good weather protection if you know how to use it, though you'll need something else to keep the bugs out.

An average 20-degree synthetic bag is about 3.5 pounds. A good 20-F down bag is closer to 2 pounds, while the top of the line 20-F down bags are about 26 ounces or so. This is too much bag for warm-weather hiking, though, so it really depends on when and where you want to go.

Another consideration is packed volume, as well as weight. A heavy traditional tent and a synthetic sleeping bag will take up a lot more room in your backpack, which then requires a larger pack, and possibly a beefier suspension system, thus increasing the weight of the pack itself.

maxNcathy
03-02-2007, 16:43
My tent with poles and stakes and sacks plus my sleeping bag with sack weighs a total of 5 lbs 3 ounces.

Jim Adams
03-02-2007, 16:51
My tent with poles and stakes and sacks plus my sleeping bag with sack weighs a total of 5 lbs 3 ounces.

depending on bag temp rating, that's not bad.:cool:
geek

maxNcathy
03-02-2007, 17:52
depending on bag temp rating, that's not bad.:cool:
geek

Jim, The tent is a Big Agnes SL1 and the sleeping bag is Moonstone Lucid 800 down and rated 20F.
The tent has 13 stakes and I added shock cord loops to the guy ropes in case of severe gusty winds. Don't want rips in fabric on a cold and stormy night.
The tent complete was 49 oz and the sleeping bag in sack was 34 oz.when I weighed them today.

Keep well,
Sandalwood

PS I fly south to Atlanta 2 weeks from tomorrow.:sun

Jack Tarlin
03-02-2007, 18:01
There is no "good average weight."

Are we talking about a five foot tall woman? Or a two hundred forty pound guy who is 6' 3''? Do you like to be able to keep your pack inside your tent or do you not care? Is it important that your shelter have a sewn-in floor or built-in mosquito netting? Are you hiking in bug season? Do you expect winter conditions?

All of these factors.....and other ones......will come into play when you choose your tent. You should carry what's right for you. Just remember that your tent is your home for 6 months. If you have to carry a few extra ounces in order to be comfortable, believe me, it's worth it.

Your sleeping bag weight depends mainly whether or not you go with a down or synthetic fill. Down bags run lighter and will keep you warmer; they also will take up less space in your pack. But you also have to take very special care to keep them dry, which on a wet Trail like the A.T. can be a challenge. Most folks on the A.T. still go with a synthetic bag, generally in the 15-30 degree range; they may switch out to something lighter for the warmer months, such as a fleece blanket or a liner-type summerweight bag. Once again, tho, you should cary what works best for you.

GlazeDog
03-03-2007, 01:32
There is no "good average weight."

Forget the "average weight" part. What the heck does "good" mean??:rolleyes: This is an impossible slope, I agree.

NO ANSWER.--(to the original question)

For me:
I carry the lightest gear I can SAFELY use (and afford). This changes seasonally.

"good" luck--
GlazeDog:)

GlazeDog
03-03-2007, 01:35
Oh, I forgot to mention--- I'm beginning to realize Jack is a trail Saint/guru/yogi/yoda. Really!! Listen to what he says and I bet you'll be happier

GlazeDog

hopefulhiker
03-03-2007, 07:51
Get the lightest possible bag/sleeping and tent system that you can be comfortable with. It doesn't have to be a sleeping bag or a tent..
Some use tarps, hammocks. some use top bags or quilts with insulated pad or air mattress.