PDA

View Full Version : Nonsmoking hostels..

mindi
03-02-2007, 16:59
I posted here so I don't get a lot of smoker/nonsmoker debate. I smoke, I don't plan on blowing it in anyone's face on the trail or doing it in shelters, etc. etc. That said, there are a few hostels that I want to hit on the trail, but I know some of them don't allow tobacco. Do most of these places allow you to smoke outside away from people and the hostel, or do you have to completely leave the property? No complaints here, it's their property and they can set the rules as they wish..I'm just wondering so I won't bother anyone or get kicked out.

mindi
03-02-2007, 17:01
Oops. Meant to post it in straightforward. Oh well, here comes the lectures! :D

Sly
03-02-2007, 17:04
The only place I know that won't let you smoke on their property is the Blueberry Patch.

Jim Adams
03-02-2007, 17:21
Mindi,
I smoked on both of my thrus... no problems and easily done. You probably wont piss anyone off until you run into the weekend warriors in the Whites. I was lectured on the evils of smoking because I was smoking 150' from the Hut and someone smelled it!

geek

Lone Wolf
03-02-2007, 17:22
The only place I know that won't let you smoke on their property is the Blueberry Patch.

The Place hostel in Damascus does not allow smoking on the property either.

max patch
03-02-2007, 17:36
Six months in the woods...what a great opportunity to make some positive changes in your life.

Bravo
03-02-2007, 17:38
Six months in the woods...what a great opportunity to make some positive changes in your life.

Yeah I'm looking forward to smoking more. I pretty much only smoke in the woods.

Jack Tarlin
03-02-2007, 17:52
Off the top of my head, Mindi, Sly and Wolf are right; I can't think of any other places where tobacco is banned on the property, tho just about every place is tobacco-free indoors.

Note to Max: Mindi didn't ask for lifestyle suggestions or lectures; she asked about places where moking was regulated.

Mindi: Lots of long-distance hikers smoke.......more than you might think. But there are plenty of folks who are very sensitive to this. Etiquette and courtesy regarding tobacco use on the Trail isn't much different from back home: Hikers need to be aware of the places that tobacco use is flat-out prohibited; they also need to be aware of places where they should use common sense, such as common outdoor areas of hostels and campsites, and other places where you're sharing space with other folks. For example, if you come up to a scenic viewpoint and there are three or four other folks enjoying it, thisis probably NOt the best place to light up. Smoking in shelters is almost always a bad thing, unless you are alone, or entirely in the company of other smokers. One should not smoke at a shelter picnic table or near one when other hikers are there, especially if folks are preparing meals. And finally, if anyone, I mean ANYONE ever objects to your cigarette or its smoke, you should probably put it out or better yet, move elsewhere. I am a smoker and I believe that adult individuals have a right to enjoy their habit (addiction, actually), but this is not something that other folks should have to put up with or have forced on them.

P.S. This also goes for pot smoking. It's a different thing, actually, because like it or not, marijuana is illegal. It should be done privately, off the Trail, not in shelters, and non-smokers shouldn't have to put up with it or be around it. If three guys are puffing away in a shelter and one isn't, and a Park Ranger shows up, he's not going to be interested in the non-smoker's argument that "Well, yeah, I know these guys and they're friends of mine, but I don't smoke pot and haven't done so in years." In the Ranger's eye, everyone is guilty, and you shouldn't put folks in that position.

One last word about tobacco etiquette. If you're a smoker, recognize this, and make sure you leave town with enough butts to get to the next store. I wouldn't think of asking someone for a couple of bites out of their dinner or
the first chomp out of their Snickers Bar, but I generally can't go two days on the Trail without some cheap mooch bumming a smoke, sometimes two or three times in one day. The first time it happens, I give him one. The second time, he gets a smoke and a brief lecture. The third time, he's politely informed that supplying him with fine R.J. Reynolds products is not why I'm out on the Trail. Just say NO to tobacco moochers!

the goat
03-02-2007, 18:00
you'll love the doyle hotel in duncannon. a sticker posted on the front door reads: "we do not offer a non-smoking area."

smoke 'em if you got 'em!

Ender
03-02-2007, 18:09
I agree with what people have said so far. I will add two things, the first a bit of secondhand advice, and the second a personal story...

I hiked with a smoker for a while, and though I never realized it till he pointed it out to me, he always made an extra effort to be downwind of other hikers around, that way the smoke wouldn't blow over to them. A very thoughtful gesture I thought.

Secondly, I'm not a smoker at all, but I will admit to the fact that the only time I've ever wanted to smoke was in the woods. Just something about being out there for so long gave me an urge. I fed it and it passed, but what an odd experience for a non-smoker. Kinda cool actually.

weary
03-02-2007, 18:31
.... Just say NO to tobacco moochers!
Or better yet, just say no to tobacco. Yeah, Jack, I know. You didn't ask for advice. But sometimes I give it anyway, out of the goodness of my heart! You know how us liberals can be. Always thinking of our fellow humans.
Weary

Gray Blazer
03-02-2007, 18:33
I asked my girlfriend if she smoked after sex. She peeked under the covers and said yes.

smokymtnsteve
03-02-2007, 18:36
Or better yet, just say no to tobacco. Yeah, Jack, I know. You didn't ask for advice. But sometimes I give it anyway, out of the goodness of my heart! You know how us liberals can be. Always thinking of our fellow humans.
Weary

ah weary that's a nice thought,,but jist stay out of the way and let darwin do his job:D

Sly
03-02-2007, 18:37
One last bit of advice on the subject from me, pack out your butts.

Lilred
03-02-2007, 19:00
Mindi, I don't smoke, quit 6 years ago. If you and I shared a shelter, I sure wouldn't want you to have to stand outside just to smoke a cigarette. I hope you would ask me first if I minded if you lit up, cause I don't mind, and many non-smokers don't mind. If I were you, I'd just ask the people around me if they'd mind if I lit up. I've had friends over at my house, excuse themselves to go outside just to smoke. I've still got my ashtrays, I told them, they can still be used. Some of us are not as easily offended as others I guess.

bfitz
03-02-2007, 23:04
You won't ever encounter a situation where this becomes a problem. Ever.

weary
03-02-2007, 23:13
Mindi, I don't smoke, quit 6 years ago. If you and I shared a shelter, I sure wouldn't want you to have to stand outside just to smoke a cigarette. I hope you would ask me first if I minded if you lit up, cause I don't mind, and many non-smokers don't mind. If I were you, I'd just ask the people around me if they'd mind if I lit up. I've had friends over at my house, excuse themselves to go outside just to smoke. I've still got my ashtrays, I told them, they can still be used. Some of us are not as easily offended as others I guess.
For the first six years after I quit I never objected to anyone smoking near me. Rather I revelled in that second hand smoke odor.

But then it changed. I forget the years after quitting, but one day smoke suddenly became totally obnoxious. It has remained so ever since.

Weary

Frosty
03-02-2007, 23:41
One last bit of advice on the subject from me, pack out your butts.And that goes for non-smokers, too!

mindi
03-02-2007, 23:56
I am definitely planning on packing out my butts, staying out of other people's range with my smoke, and just generally being a decent human being who respects others' desire not to have to breathe my carcinogens. I'm not a heavy smoker, so I don't think it's going to be that big of a deal to walk a bit before I light up.

I have the same kind of attitude about moochers, Jack. Once is no big deal if someone has just smoked their last a day before town or something, but I'm wasting enough money supporting my own habit without supporting someone else's.

Thanks for the tips,everyone. Sounds like I won't have a problem if I have some common courtesy and take a walk when I get to a tobacco-free zone.

freefall
03-03-2007, 00:01

Yep- it's a great time to switch to rolling your own!:D

spittinpigeon
03-03-2007, 00:18
Apart from the experimental teenage cigarettes, and a few here and there afterwards, I never smoked. That is until somewhere around NJ. Almost everyone I saw on the trail who smoked, didn't when they were home. I absolutely DESPISED smoking. Now I'm a tobacco connoisseur.
I'm alright going up a big hill, it's just that when I stop, I have a nauseating coughing fit. Haven't smoked in three days, we'll see how long that will last.

bfitz
03-03-2007, 00:25
Apart from the experimental teenage cigarettes, and a few here and there afterwards, I never smoked. That is until somewhere around NJ. Almost everyone I saw on the trail who smoked, didn't when they were home. I absolutely DESPISED smoking. Now I'm a tobacco connoisseur.
I'm alright going up a big hill, it's just that when I stop, I have a nauseating coughing fit. Haven't smoked in three days, we'll see how long that will last.Beater! the dude here! Won't last long, if my experience is anything to go by.

bfitz
03-03-2007, 00:26
I'm a perpetual social smoker.

galaleemc
03-03-2007, 13:37
Mindi

MTCW we have a designated smoking area to keep it from blowing into the house porch or Bunkhouse with a can for butts. Smokers are welcome to stay here, just not smoke inside or on porches. I know that having to go outside is inconvient to you, but I am unfortunately very sensitive to smoke and the after smell, and really appreciate conscientious smokers to keep it down wind of me.

Undershaft
03-03-2007, 19:18
I'm a smoker also, and I'm glad you asked this question Mindi. Most hotels I've stayed in have smoking and non-smoking rooms, but it never occured to me to think about the smoking policy at hostels. Glad to hear most don't object to smokers staying there and lighting up somewhere without leaving the property.

Blue Wolf
03-03-2007, 20:30
Yep smoker here too, after the 1st 100 miles i'm sure i'll be like most thru hikers have switched to roll your owns............ and in regards to Jacks post about POT smokeing.....I had always heard that on federal owned land that anything less than an ounce of that stuff was just a ticket??? is that a myth?

My thing is each to his/her own I'm not out there to preach, just gonna treat my attemted thru as a vacation but was just curious?

smokymtnsteve
03-03-2007, 20:32
Yep smoker here too, after the 1st 100 miles i'm sure i'll be like most thru hikers have switched to roll your owns............ and in regards to Jacks post about POT smokeing.....I had always heard that on federal owned land that anything less than an ounce of that stuff was just a ticket??? is that a myth?

My thing is each to his/her own I'm not out there to preach, just gonna treat my attemted thru as a vacation but was just curious?

I got popped in GSMNP back in 2001 with less than a OZ ...ticket...free to go on my way...I was supposed to pay ticket,,but I sent a letter saying I wanted a jury trail and that I wanted my medical MJ back...never heard another word.

Blue Wolf
03-03-2007, 20:50
I'm just curious anyone else? with stories? or the real law? on federal land?

RiverWarriorPJ
03-03-2007, 21:12
Oops. Meant to post it in straightforward. Oh well, here comes the lectures! :D

LoL....Smokers unite...

joel137
03-04-2007, 12:05
Be polite and courteous to the non-smokers. Smoke can linger a long time in a three sided shelter. I'm a non-smoker and don't like the smell. Generally my experience on the trail has been positive with smokers (some exceptions). When asked not to smoke in the shelter they complied, my current hiking buddy is a smoker, he generally tries to be down-wind of others and not smoke in the shelters.

If you ask others if they mind if you smoke, be prepared that the answer might be a polite yes.

Frosty
03-04-2007, 12:36
Be polite and courteous to the non-smokers. Smoke can linger a long time in a three sided shelter. I'm a non-smoker and don't like the smell. Generally my experience on the trail has been positive with smokers (some exceptions). When asked not to smoke in the shelter they complied, my current hiking buddy is a smoker, he generally tries to be down-wind of others and not smoke in the shelters.

If you ask others if they mind if you smoke, be prepared that the answer might be a polite yes.Why? I'm a non-smoker and the odor really bothers me, but smokers have a right to smoke in the outdoors. I thank all you considerate smokers who ask before lighting up, and who don't smoke in shelters, but a shelter is for all. If someone doesn't like smoke, farts, radios, snoring, late-night or early-morning conversation, stay in a tent.

NICKTHEGREEK
03-04-2007, 12:42

If you ask others if they mind if you smoke, be prepared that the answer might be a polite yes.

Most of the shelters I've passed by have what seems to be well used fire ring very close by. What's the social protocol for burning some wood, paper refuse and who knows what else in the ring, running the risk some smoke will enter the shelter?

neighbor dave
03-04-2007, 13:22
what a complete waste of time.

joel137
03-06-2007, 00:50
Why? I'm a non-smoker and the odor really bothers me, but smokers have a right to smoke in the outdoors.

Never said they didn't

I thank all you considerate smokers who ask before lighting up, and who don't smoke in shelters, I thank you as well, you are courteous folks:)

but a shelter is for all. If someone doesn't like smoke, farts, radios, snoring, late-night or early-morning conversation, stay in a tent.True enough, but you seem to be arguing that people don't need or shouldn't bother with being courteous in a shelter? IMO, the shelter is probably the place where one should be at one's most courteous.

mindi
03-06-2007, 01:04
As a smoker, I agree that one should be considerate in shelters. It's true that they are for everyone, and certainly you should bring a tent/tarp/hammock in case you don't like whatever others are doing in the shelter.
That said, it would certainly make life easier for everyone on a crappy night or in an area that requires shelter sleeping if everyone would try to be a little more considerate of others...not just in the matter of smoking tobacco or pot, but in making space for others, not making tons of noise when others are sleeping, and on and on. Of course, it's an idealistic idea and it isn't likely to happen every night in every shelter, but courtesy is something that should be aspired to.

bfitz
03-06-2007, 02:18
he generally tries to be down-wind of others and not smoke in the shelters.
Easy enough to do.

Courtesy is key but courtesy is a two way street, some forget this occasionally.

Frosty
03-06-2007, 11:45
True enough, but you seem to be arguing that people don't need or shouldn't bother with being courteous in a shelter? I think courtesy in shelters is a good thing, and to me courtesy is respecting other people. I see neither courtesy or respect when your attitude is that you have the right to insist other people (smokers or snorers or talkers or music players) modify their behavior to fit your personal likes and dislikes.

Sure I find cigarette smoke annoying in shelters. And snoring, and music playing and using cell phone usage and a lot of things. But just because I don't like it doesn't mean everyone else has to change to suit my personal quirks.

Courtesy is best performed by being courteous to others, not by demanding that others be courteous to you.

My bottom line is unchanged. If you want to stay in a cummunal shelter, do not expect others to behave the way you want them to. They have as much right to be there as you do.

If smoking, farting, talking, playing music etc etc bother you, just sleep in your tent.

Frosty
03-06-2007, 11:46
what a complete waste of time.Not to mention money.

Footslogger
03-06-2007, 11:51
Not sure it constitutes a "hostel", per se ...but pretty sure the church (St Thomas ??) in Vernon, NJ that lets hikers stay in the basement does not allow indoor smoking.

'Slogger

StarLyte
03-06-2007, 12:13
Hi Mindi-

I think you are a considerate person. :sun

I think I'd like to hike with you sometime.

You are very brave starting this thread :D We need a little controversary in the mornings.

I'm an ex-smoker, have asthma too.

Gosh that smoke at the Doyle is intense. Check out that photo of Matty at the Doyle party room upstairs - wow. (sorry Vicki)

Lone Wolf
03-06-2007, 12:18
Gosh that smoke at the Doyle is intense. Check out that photo of Matty at the Doyle party room upstairs - wow. (sorry Vicki)

one of the main reasons i didn't go to the warmer

StarLyte
03-06-2007, 12:26
one of the main reasons i didn't go to the warmer

LW....that was your 8,100 th post. I know you're going to say ain't no thang, but it is.

Yes....the smoke was tough there. Maybe they'll work on that. I hung out a lot in the pool room with Laces.

DawnTreader
03-06-2007, 12:58
When I hit the trail I was worried that I would be ostricized for smoking, I would always walk away from a group when I smoked. Then I became really good friends with the people I was hiking with, and one day they collectively said to me, hey, you don't have to walk away so far to have a smoke, we don't care.. I was surprised to meet so many smokers on the trail, some as jack said earlier, were classic mooches. I didn't mind however, an ounce of Midnight express lasts a long time, at least long enough for the next resupply. Its always better to share a smoke with a friend.
I found that mosts hostles porches are littered with smoker debris, unfortunately, lots of smokers don't take care of their butts, which is why I switched to roll yer own filterless... less waste.. SO TAKE CARE OF YOUR BUTTS..

Undershaft
03-06-2007, 13:31
Always pack out your butts, and if you roll your own make sure it's fully extinguished so we don't burn down the forest. There are quite a few patches of woods near my home that have burned because of careless disposal of cigarettes. Mostly along roads, but it can just as easily happen on the AT.

bfitz
03-06-2007, 16:00
Wonder how the smokies caught fire?

Bravo
03-06-2007, 16:14
what a complete waste of time.

For you maybe.

joel137
03-06-2007, 23:24
I decided to make one more response, as this could continue ad infinitatum without much additional of value being said, I exit (perhaps temperorarily:)) with one more response.

I think courtesy in shelters is a good thing, and to me courtesy is respecting other people. I see neither courtesy or respect when your attitude is that you have the right to insist other people (smokers or snorers or talkers or music players) modify their behavior to fit your personal likes and dislikes.

I don't think I said anything about insisting that the behavior of others fit my personal odd-ball quirks, I think you were inferring that, when it was not intended or implied. (see below)

OTOH, there is certainly such a thing as common courtesy, and I was expressing an opinion of what that might imply regarding shelter behavior.

I may have been confusing threads, but somewhere a smoker commented that they would/had asked at shelters if anyone minded if they smoked. That is an example of courteous behavior. My comment regarding that one should be ready if the answer is "yes", was not meant to be insisting on a certain behaviour, but was simply intended to indicate that one should give some thought to what one's reaction would be if either response is politely given.