PDA

View Full Version : Marmot Sleeping bag half zip?

shoe
03-03-2007, 00:33
Am I going to regret getting a sleeping bag with a half zip if I plan on using it all the way or is it really a non issue?
I will probably won't to use it more as a quilt at some point.

I would try it in a store but haven't been able to find one in a store.

thanks

buckowens
03-03-2007, 00:44
I traded one for a full zip due to two reasons: 1) While I am not normally claustrophobic, I felt trapped in the bag. 2) And I liked the idea of opening it up as I get warm.

I have a silk liner as it will be able to be used as a blanket or sheet set. My experience has been mostly with the Army mummy bags, and I found that being able to open them up a bit was the best for me, even in really cold weather.

shoe
03-03-2007, 00:50
That's what I am afraid of...feeling trapped.

I tried a WM Alpinelite Super 20 degree that has a little bit bigger girth in the shoulder and a full zip.

I am torn between the two

Thanks

buckowens
03-03-2007, 00:57
I have a Sierra Designs Trade Wind (15 deg.) and I like it. I felt like I was in a grave while in anything less than a full zip.

Sleeping is such a personal thing that its hard to take advise. Sleep cold, sleep hot, toss, turn, drool:D ... Try to go and get into a 1/2 zip before you buy. I had to order it, try and send it back. I climbed down inside the New River Gorge Bridge here in WV and thought I could not possibly be claustrophobic after that, but I was wrong...

Ewker
03-03-2007, 01:13
non-issue, you get use to the half zip

tagalong hiker
03-03-2007, 01:22
our bags have half zipper and i agree with buck owens i felt trapped in the bag and i also had a hard time getting in and out of the bag

eventidecu
03-03-2007, 01:25
If your going to use it in warmer temps AT ALL! Go with the full zip so you can use it as a blanket, which is what you will do most of the time. The half zip you have to get in it all the time making for hot sweaty nights. If it's going to be "your winter bag" then half is ok. I think the Marmont Helium or Hydrogen one is like a 30 degree bag for an all around 3 season bag with full zip @ under 1.5 lbs I think.

Chache
03-03-2007, 08:42
I have the Marmot Helium, Atom and couloir. The first 2 are half zips. I am a clostrophobic and have no trouble with it. It opens at my belly button (5'11") so that your arms are free. Getting to warm is the issue. If I had it to do over I would get the Helium in a full zip.

NICKTHEGREEK
03-03-2007, 10:05
Full zip is half the answer, make sure you can un zip the footbox and lower part of the bag independently of the upper portion. I believe it's called a double zipper.

Footslogger
03-03-2007, 11:18
Am I going to regret getting a sleeping bag with a half zip if I plan on using it all the way or is it really a non issue?
I will probably won't to use it more as a quilt at some point.

I would try it in a store but haven't been able to find one in a store.

thanks

====================================

I've got both full and half zip bags. Funny thing is that I never zip the full zipped bag down all the way anyway.

Probably more a matter of preference, and possibly feelings of claustraphobia (as one poster mentioned), than necessity. I kinda doubt that you'd regret the half zip. As long as it goes down far enought let you in/out of the bag the remaining length of the zipper just adds weight.

'Slogger

Footslogger
03-03-2007, 11:19
If I had it to do over I would get the Helium in a full zip.

========================================

Don't think that is an option. One of the nice things about the Helium is that it is 15 degree rated and only weighs 1lb/13oz.

'Slogger

soulrebel
03-03-2007, 11:29
Half zip is not an issue for me, one leg in one leg out if need be...but then again I have a marmot hydrogen 30d 20oz. (not full zip as someone mentioned above--don't think they make that in hydrogen---)so it stays zipped up except in summer.

Chache
03-03-2007, 13:19
========================================

Don't think that is an option. One of the nice things about the Helium is that it is 15 degree rated and only weighs 1lb/13oz.

'Slogger
It is a option. Its called the Helium EQ. It does weigh a few ounces more.
http://marmot.com/spring_2007/equipment/bags/ultralight/helium_eq_reg

Chache
03-03-2007, 13:23
The Atom and Hydrogen are only half zips

Footslogger
03-03-2007, 17:39
It is a option. Its called the Helium EQ. It does weigh a few ounces more.
http://marmot.com/spring_2007/equipment/bags/ultralight/helium_eq_reg

==============================

$425 ...ouch !! and a half pound heavier. My vote is for the regular Helium

'Slogger

Ping-07
03-03-2007, 19:29
I have the Hydrogen and had the half zip replaced with a two way zipper so now I can open the mid point to vent. Made a big difference! Mine is older so now they may come with a two way zipper. It is an awesome and comfy bag.

Miner
03-08-2007, 15:59
I have 2 marmot bags with the 1/2 zip. Never bothered me at all. Never had any trouble getting in or out of the bag unless I was using a silk liner (which didn't have a zip at all).

The half zip can be unzipped upwards toward the head to allow heat to escape while the upper zipper holds the bag closed.

When it gets too hot even unzipped, I unzip the bag completely and use it more like a quilt and let my back sleep directly on my sleeping pad.

Froggy
03-08-2007, 19:40
I'm replacing my brand new Atom bag (half zipper) with a new Western Moutnaineering bag (same measured weight of 19 oz., full zipper) to make it easier to open it up to cool off.

It's usage will be specifically limited to summer.

shoe
03-08-2007, 22:19
Well I went ahead and got the Helium. it was some kind of divine intervention. Went to REI to see if they had any "half zip"sleeping bags that I could get in and try. They had a Hydrogen so I got in it and it wasn't bad. Turns out it was Helium Long which is what I wanted so I got the thing for 263.20 plus tax vs 303.20 plus tax. It was a sign...lol

Chache
03-08-2007, 22:53
Well I went ahead and got the Helium. it was some kind of divine intervention. Went to REI to see if they had any "half zip"sleeping bags that I could get in and try. They had a Hydrogen so I got in it and it wasn't bad. Turns out it was Helium Long which is what I wanted so I got the thing for 263.20 plus tax vs 303.20 plus tax. It was a sign...lol
Welcome to the club

Footslogger
03-08-2007, 23:13
Welcome to the club

================================

I'm about to join ...

Just trying to decide whether to jump now with the REI 20% coupon or wait until summer and hope for a sweeter deal.

'Slogger

shoe
03-08-2007, 23:57
You think there will be a better deal in the summer?
Not that it matters to me since I needed a sleeping bag now.

Footslogger
03-09-2007, 10:06
You think there will be a better deal in the summer?
Not that it matters to me since I needed a sleeping bag now.

=========================================

Usually by late Spring/early Summer there are inventory sell-offs. I'm not in a huge rush so I might just wait and take my chances. The good news is that REI offers that 20% off coupons several times a year for members so I always have that as a fall-back.

'Slogger