PDA

View Full Version : Some really good news

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-03-2007, 07:17
As many of you know, I had a car accident in 2004 that left my right leg partially paralyzed..... Apparently, small nerves can and do grow / regenerate - very slowly (like 1/4" a year). My largest quad (vastus lateralis) was nearly totally paralyzed because of small nerve damage - it has started to move voluntarily a bit and two other muscles are moving enough that I am actually able to train them. I am doing unsupported squats and lightly supported lunges for the first time since the accident and have been able to walk nearly 3 miles without my cane (paved surface). I also tripped on a recent day-hike and caught myself without using the cane - something I have never been able to do before and the reason I always hike with two offset canes. :banana

the_iceman
03-03-2007, 07:23
That is Terrific NEWS! And don’t believe the ¼” a year. I suffered minor nerve damage and was told the same thing. It would have been 10 to 15 years to regain the feeling in my leg but it was more like 1 to 2 years. Some may have been from swelling and the rest just may have been the greatest healer of all - FAITH and determination. Keep up the great work and believe it will happen sooner than later

All the Best –

Iceman

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-03-2007, 07:28
That's wonderful to hear. I am getting some of the feeling back in my left knee - it works OK, but it has been numb for 2.5 years now.

the_iceman
03-03-2007, 08:05
I used to joke after a tough bike ride that it was the only part of me that did not hurt. :D

hopefulhiker
03-03-2007, 08:16
Keep practicing! Soon you will be back on the trail!

iafte
03-03-2007, 08:28
Great news FD! :banana

Mountain Maiden
03-03-2007, 08:35
Nopt just good news, FANTASTIC NEWS!! Hurray for you Dino!! Keep up the good work!

Happy Healing and Happy Hiking!

S

weary
03-03-2007, 08:41
My very best wishes for a full recovery!

Weary

rickb
03-03-2007, 08:44
Keep getting better.

And shake a leg!

peanuts
03-03-2007, 08:51
kludos, fd that is wonderful news. it deserves a dancing banana....

Skidsteer
03-03-2007, 08:57
Good report, FD!

Gray Blazer
03-03-2007, 09:53
Good news indeed. Biting all those toes must have helped. You've given me hope for my knee. Have a great day.

SawnieRobertson
03-03-2007, 10:05
You are going to make it! Wow! I once had my physical therapist comment to me, after I had reported that I had been able to take the three steps down out of my house without pain, that only those who have so suffered could understand the victory. I think that just about most on this list know all about "so suffering" and rejoice with you.--Kinnickinic

Lilred
03-03-2007, 10:06
Good news indeed. Biting all those toes must have helped. You've given me hope for my knee. Have a great day.

If that's true, then I offer my toes to the female Dino in hopes for a really fast mend. That's fantastic news!!!

dixicritter
03-03-2007, 10:30
FD that's fantastic news!!! I'm so happy to hear about your progress! Keep up the good work! :D

rafe
03-03-2007, 10:31
Well done, FD. I know a bit about recovery from injury and the AT. Must admit, my injury was self-inflicted (skiing.) Here's a couple of pix for your amusement. The steel hardware was still in my leg during my 600-mile section (attempted thru) in 1990. I was on crutches and cane for about half a year.

Krewzer
03-03-2007, 11:18
That's great FD. My youngest stepson has almost the exact same problems from a car wreck. I'm passing this good news on to him. The Krewzette and I understand how slow progress is, but how wonderful.

"A Big Jurassic Hooray for da Dino!!!"

galaleemc
03-03-2007, 13:28
FD

Good News! Never ever quit.

I was rear ended about four years ago and have cervical damage that causes me to tremble in hands. It is just getting to the point where I do not notice it but about every other month or so.....so yes those nerves regenerate. Believe Believe Believe.

TT Gulp....good to see the mend.

Wonder - who is our House Hostel Frauline Whip Cracking Hiker MOM got started out with the Wonderfoot. Ankle injury she likes to say hardware in it "costs more than all the cars I've ever owned".

Ewker
03-03-2007, 17:14
FD, that is great news to hear. Hope to see you and the he-Dino out and about soon

Blissful
03-03-2007, 17:16
Sooo happy for you!!!! What a great testimony.

mindi
03-03-2007, 17:17
WONDERFUL news, Dino! Keep up the exercise and toe-biting.
:) Mindi

greentick
03-03-2007, 17:19
great news, keep it up...

Mother Nature
03-03-2007, 17:44
:sun
Hooray Renee!
What encouraging news! Fantastic! Can't wait to run into you on the trail soon!!!!!!!!

MN

mweinstone
03-03-2007, 18:31
ahemm.... ill take the credit for this youngin.i did all the prayin! told ya god spoils me. i can have anything iwant cause i never ask for crap he dosnt wanna give. once i had an impacted in the jaw, wrapped with nearve wisdom tooth removed. the doc said he had to cut a notch in my jaw and i may never get feeling in my face again. he said it could take six months to come back. it did on the last day. just came back. all the feeling. and i waited 5 years for an injury to allow me to sleep again and it did. you go girl. i love you alot and im gonna hug you pritty tight.

maxNcathy
03-03-2007, 19:34
Blessings to you and all brother/sister hikers everywhere.
Sandalwood

TJ aka Teej
03-03-2007, 20:11
I am doing unsupported squats and lightly supported lunges for the first time since the accident and have been able to walk nearly 3 miles without my cane (paved surface). I also tripped on a recent day-hike and caught myself without using the cane
:banana :banana :banana :banana
Terrific news, FD!

buckowens
03-03-2007, 20:14
Keep it up F.D.!!:)

The human body never ceases to amaze...

bigcranky
03-03-2007, 21:16
You go, girl. Great news.

tha
03-03-2007, 21:49
That is Terrific NEWS! And don’t believe the ¼” a year. I suffered minor nerve damage and was told the same thing. It would have been 10 to 15 years to regain the feeling in my leg but it was more like 1 to 2 years. Some may have been from swelling and the rest just may have been the greatest healer of all - FAITH and determination. Keep up the great work and believe it will happen sooner than later

All the Best –

Iceman

I DITTO the Iceman. I had an injury similar to that, and the nerves grew back MUCH more quickly than I had been led to believe.

Fantastic to hear!! Keep up the faith and hard work. I think I know how excited and encouraged you must feel.

Tim

rmtjr
03-04-2007, 00:23
Super duper! So happy for you! Keep on growing and growing and growing. Bob

bascomgrillmaster
03-04-2007, 00:46
Good news,
See you on the trail
Bascom

bfitz
03-04-2007, 08:18
That is good news. Do you do anything nutrition-wise to promote that kind of nerve growth?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-04-2007, 08:45
Bfitz, I have a pretty good diet and take a lot of supplements - however, I'm open to suggestion on what might promote the growth.

TN_Hiker
03-04-2007, 08:55
I'm so happy for you Ms. Dino!! Keep up the hard work, the positive attitude, and help from the man above....you will be hiking like you want to before you know it.

bfitz
03-04-2007, 09:00
I was wondering myself....have the docs recommended anything?

Do you take DMAE? I know that's good for your brain and other things. I know various nutrients like Alpha lipoic acid, Acetyl-L carnitine and others are beneficial and help prevent a kind of nerve damge called neuropathy common in diabetics. My favorite herbal medicine is reputed to be beneficial in that area....I bet folic acid or some kind of vitamin B is good for it too. B6 is good for lots of things.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-04-2007, 09:27
Thank you to all who have wished me well. I'm still adjusting to the idea that what I had accepted as permanent may not actually be permanent.

Bfitz, I take all of the things you mentioned - some in tiny doses however.

bfitz
03-04-2007, 09:33
Probably don't need too much. Sounds like you're on top of things, and the results show it!

Spork
03-04-2007, 10:10
Bfitz, I have a pretty good diet and take a lot of supplements - however, I'm open to suggestion on what might promote the growth.

FD
Just wanted to add my best wishes for a full and speedy recovery! Had some yucky oral surgery once which damaged some nerves and numbed a good portion of the jaw (I still think somebody paid off the docs!!) Anywho, they gave me the same line about slow nerve regeneration and thankfully the feeling and function returned much, much faster. Keep the faith!

In terms of supplements to help promote nerve growth, I have just two words for you - canned kitten!...........:D

Programbo
03-04-2007, 10:19
That`s really wonderful news and best wishes for your continued recovery!..3 miles even on a paved road isn`t to shabby this soon after such an injury and thanks for sharing it with us as there are many who have suffered injuries or setbacks and things like this give them encouragement and inspiration!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-04-2007, 10:58
In terms of supplements to help promote nerve growth, I have just two words for you - canned kitten!...........:DI have two words for you: No Way :D

Spork
03-04-2007, 11:07
I have two words for you: No Way :D

This from a woman who eats toes...

OrionTheRanger
03-04-2007, 11:22
Great news. Didn't even know you had leg problems though.

mweinstone
03-04-2007, 11:49
dear spork. quick refreasher. dinos evolved into birds who hate cats cause they were put in cages and tormented by cats.hence, dino is scared of kittens and could accedently crush them in a wild stampeed of wilding.also, a tine is the thing on forks. sporks have tines too. my foon also has tines. its missing one and i assume i ate it. thats why i dont trust things with tines anymore. i use spoons and knives. if you cross a spoon and a fork you really should get the international symbol for " no im not eating that" or at least," back off vamp, these are silver!" but instead this unimaginable generation comes up with sporks and foons. whats next? knoons and spifes?

Spork
03-04-2007, 12:23
whats next? knoons and spifes?

Knoons and spifes??!! Blasphemer! These unholy marriages you suggest are an abomination. Sporks, on the other hand, are clearly the result of the Intelligent Design that He intended for His children. Silly foons are craven idols.

They Can Have My Spork
When They Pry It
From My Cold Dead Hand!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-04-2007, 19:53
What am I going to do with you two? :D

I hiked schoolhouse Gap trail today using one cane (total of 4.4 miles)

Rebel, with a Cause!
03-04-2007, 20:17
Way to go FD, my wife and I were right close by on Turkey Pen Gap. I wish we had known, would have liked to see ya. We started to go down to Schoolhouse Gap, but turned around and went back the way we came.

Cya soon

Jim Adams
03-05-2007, 08:53
Good luck F.D.---every day will get better!\
geek

Toolshed
03-05-2007, 09:27
F'ing Dino,

Having 3 pins in my left knee, a mechanical aortic valve and synthetic aorta, I kinda know the recovery route you are on. Take your time but do keep pressing forward - It will all come to pass.... :welcome
Wishing Godspeed on your recovery.
Tool

Spork
03-05-2007, 12:59
Having 3 pins in my left knee, a mechanical aortic valve and synthetic aorta, I kinda know the recovery route you are on...

Wow. You oughta consider changing your trail name to "Steve Austin". Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology … we can make him better than he was before. Better. Stronger. Faster....
:rolleyes:

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-05-2007, 14:38
I have a rod from my knee to my hip, four screws that are about 3" each that hold that in place and a 5" screw in my hip. All are surgical stainless steel and I set off metal detectors. How do you folks with metal parts deal with cold? My metal gets cold in cool weather even when I'm sweating as I hike. I'm seriously considering making my right upper leg its own windproof fleece warmer.

D'Artagnan
03-05-2007, 15:49
Glad to hear the news of your recovery. Even when you're 100 percent, just let me know if you ever need an arm to lean on to get to a fire circle along a darkened railroad line. ;)

BTW, are you and Mr. FD planning on attending Trail Days? If so, hope to see you there.

Spork
03-05-2007, 15:52
How do you folks with metal parts deal with cold?

I've had some ss plates and screws in my right forearm for over 20 years now (as well as a few loose ones in my head according to my wife) and have learned to accept that it's gonna ache in cold and damp weather. Haven't found any magic solutions. On the upside, I can actually feel the onset of significant weather changes so I'm kinda like a walking barometer. (Pause for hiker envy) By the way, you picking up any good radio stations on that leg?:D

Hana_Hanger
03-05-2007, 15:53
Wonderful News and we are very happy for you Dino.
I think that warm fleece leg wrap is a great idea.
If I ever get out that way...I would love to hike with you.

saimyoji
03-05-2007, 17:59
My favorite herbal medicine is reputed to be beneficial in that area....

....Bfitz, I take all of the things you mentioned - some in tiny doses however.

:eek:.........:eek:

saimyoji
03-05-2007, 18:00
Way to go Toebiter...I mean FD. :p

I have a 8" Ti bar on my femur with 10 screws. Cold can be quite painful.

rafe
03-05-2007, 22:27
How do you folks with metal parts deal with cold? My metal gets cold in cool weather even when I'm sweating as I hike. I'm seriously considering making my right upper leg its own windproof fleece warmer.

It was never an issue for me. The metalware was removed from my leg about a 15 months after it was installed. I don't see how metal deep inside your leg could be at any temperature other than... the temperature of the body tissue that surrounds it. Is it possible that the sensation of cold is from something else? Have you mentioned the cold sensation to your doc?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-05-2007, 22:34
TT, I don't understand how it can get cold either, but I can assure you it does. I spent nearly 18 month in PT 3X a week with people with knee and hip replacements - they all had problems with the metal getting cold. Maybe it is because the metal conducts cold better than flesh?

Wonder
03-05-2007, 22:40
I just have to say that reading this thread has made my day!!!!!!
Congrats!!!!!!!
I know how it feels to realize you are walking without any help........ it is the greatest feeling of liberation ever! I cannot even begin to express how happy I am for you!
Success is yours........walk with pride!

digger51
03-06-2007, 02:35
Congrats on your good news and good hiking to you.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-06-2007, 06:29
Glad to hear the news of your recovery. Even when you're 100 percent, just let me know if you ever need an arm to lean on to get to a fire circle along a darkened railroad line. ;)

BTW, are you and Mr. FD planning on attending Trail Days? If so, hope to see you there.We will be at Trail Days - in the new, quiet section. Dinos need their rest.

I have to tell y'all what gentleman D'Artagnan is: The male dino was sick during the SoRuck this year so I attended alone. D'Artagnan walked me on his arm to the campfire so I could go. I only had one cane with me and the treadway was dark and uneven.

Toolshed
03-06-2007, 07:55
....and have learned to accept that it's gonna ache in cold and damp weather. Haven't found any magic solutions. On the upside, I can actually feel the onset of significant weather changes so I'm kinda like a walking barometer. (Pause for hiker envy) By the way, you picking up any good radio stations on that leg?:D
Ditto!!! I know bad weather long before it gets here (usually a day or so). I find it interesting how low pressure systems work my knee.....