PDA

View Full Version : Fabric Softner Sheets

overcame
03-03-2007, 08:03
Have read articles about people using clothes dryer sheets to repel insects. Has anyone had personal experience with this? How and where? Thanks.:-?

Lone Wolf
03-03-2007, 08:16
wingfoot is the only one that does that but he hasn't hiked in14 years.

Toolshed
03-03-2007, 10:06
no.... But I do save the used ones all summer and they work great as a cheap replacement for SWIX Fiberlene towels when wiping/cleaning my waxable XC skis.

bigmac_in
03-03-2007, 10:14
Yes , I have heard of people doing this. Do some homework on-line - IT DOES NOT WORK. If you want to fend off insects you have to use something with Deet......

TurkeyBacon
03-03-2007, 11:43
Some people swear it works. I've heard from people who have tried it that Bounce brand works best and it is only for no-see-ums. Mosquitos or black flies can care less.
TB

Footslogger
03-03-2007, 12:00
Maybe they (fabric softener sheets) could be sewn together into a garment of some sort.

Just got a funny visual in my head of a hiker bouncing down the trail all wrapped in dryer sheets ...

At least you'd have a wide choice of fragrances !!

'Slogger

GlazeDog
03-03-2007, 12:44
They make me sneeze so I've never tried it. :(

GlazeDog

ASUGrad
03-05-2007, 10:39
My MIL tried this one on me. She pinned a dryer sheet to my hair and let me wander around. Obviously, it was some of that backwoods Appalachian humor you hear so much about. I use bug spray and keep moving.

joec
03-05-2007, 10:42
I heard they were handy to ward off static electricity in hammocks.

Jim Adams
03-05-2007, 12:20
I heard that the mice in the shelters steal them in the night and use them for little parachutes from the rafters to get to the hanging food bags.

Well I did hear it....honest....really!

geek

Wanderingson
03-05-2007, 12:39
I find that dryer sheets, a tinfoilhat, wooden stakes and a clove of garlic will protect me from most things in life. Dang I forgot about protection from the boogieman.

oruoja
03-05-2007, 18:48
Maybe they (fabric softener sheets) could be sewn together into a garment of some sort.

Just got a funny visual in my head of a hiker bouncing down the trail all wrapped in dryer sheets ...

At least you'd have a wide choice of fragrances !!

'Slogger

Since you mentioned this I would not be surprised if someone attempts to pull this off. Last year I ran into Tyvek in Mass, so I guess anything is possible.

bfitz
03-05-2007, 19:03
Someone told me a lot of vitamin B (I forget which kind) makes you unpalatable to mosquitos...

Spork
03-05-2007, 19:19
Someone told me a lot of vitamin B (I forget which kind) makes you unpalatable to mosquitos...

I read this years ago in Robert Wood's book The 2 oz Backpacker: "A dosage of 200mg/day of vitamin B-1 will make your perspiration repellent to mosquitos and thus keep them away. So will the heavy consumption of garlic." Tried the B-1 and got bitten to hell anyway. Tried the garlic and proved to be repellent to humans but still delicious to mosquitos. Maybe I'm just too naturally sweet....:D All things considered I guess since I'm gonna get bitten anyway I'd rather smell like dryer sheets than garlic.

Fiddleback
03-06-2007, 11:22
The most recent theories I've read are that; mosquitos are attracted by the CO (not BO, :D ) emitted from a target's bod and, bears are curious and attracted by scents (hence the recommendation to hang soaps, cosmetics, toothpaste, etc. with your food).

Just as vitamins and garlic probably don't work against mosquitos; fabric softeners in any form probably aren't a good idea in bear country. Of course, that leads to the question, "What smells good to a bear?"

FB

Bravo
03-06-2007, 16:20
"What smells good to a bear?"

FB

Honey of course.:)

Outlaw
03-06-2007, 16:23
"What smells good to a bear?"

Timothy Treadwell.:eek:

Doctari
03-06-2007, 22:40
Ah, I can't remember which brand, but it dosn't work with all fabric softener sheets, just ONE brand. Wish I could remember, cause I have used it once (here at home) & it (seems to have) worked. I havn't used it in the field, because I forget to take them, and as mentioned, I forgot which ones to use :rolleyes:

Doctari.

The Weasel
03-07-2007, 00:29
Some people swear it works. I've heard from people who have tried it that Bounce brand works best and it is only for no-see-ums. Mosquitos or black flies can care less.
TB
And some people swear that the Space Aliens left Cocoa Puffs behind to spy on us. But not all of you believe that, so why believe in people who swear about dryer junk?

The Weasel

RAT
03-07-2007, 00:33
I worked with someone on the Konnarock crews one year who tried that. Didnt work.

RAT

SouthMark
03-07-2007, 09:54
And some people swear that the Space Aliens left Cocoa Puffs behind to spy on us. But not all of you believe that, so why believe in people who swear about dryer junk?

The Weasel

A group of golf buddies and I play a small course right on the river and in the summer the gnats will drive you crazy. A local told us bout the dryer sheets and we tried them. We just put them under our caps. MO MORE GNATS and that's my final answer.

Spork
03-07-2007, 10:43

The Weasel

Wait...so you're saying the Space Aliens didn't leave Cocoa Puffs behind to spy on us? Oh my, this changes everything....