PDA

View Full Version : What's the most over-rated piece of gear?

spittinpigeon
03-03-2007, 09:53
Mine vote is TNF Cat's Meow. That POS has won the 'Esteemed Editor's Choice Award' in BP magazine so many times, it makes me want to puke. I have since boycotted anything sold by TNF because of that (and don't take BP mag seriously either) , and also because they have simply abandoned their original demographic in favor of Hip Hop 'artists', and their clone fans, along with all the kids who have to wear name brands to keep from being called poor in school. Guess you really can't blame the company though, I would do the same thing. Although I feel that their attention to quality has dimished to a questionable level.

hopefulhiker
03-03-2007, 09:58
The Cat trowel...

Programbo
03-03-2007, 10:03
Trekking Poles! ::Runs for cover::

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-03-2007, 10:04
The North Face is a huge advertiser and I believe the 'Esteemed Editor's Choice Award' in BP magazine has more to do with $$$ spent on advertising in that publication than with how good the piece of gear really is.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-03-2007, 10:05
Trekking Poles! ::Runs for cover:: :::: chases down Programbo and bites her on the toes ::::

rafe
03-03-2007, 10:08
Alcohol stoves.

Lone Wolf
03-03-2007, 10:11
Trekking Poles! ::Runs for cover::

i agree too

Lone Wolf
03-03-2007, 10:12
Alcohol stoves.

i agree too.

rickb
03-03-2007, 10:23
Any water filter.

In comparison, the invention of the alcohol stove is right up there in importance with the wheel.

Johnny Swank
03-03-2007, 10:28
Waterproof "Breathable" raingear.
Water filters
Lexan Nalgenes

lvleph
03-03-2007, 12:16
Tents
And of course that is too short to post.

GlazeDog
03-03-2007, 12:42
Based on what I actually see as being a true indicater of what is really over-rated, I'd say TENTS.

For instance look at Trail Days (um, "tent" city they call the camping area). Switch to tarps with seasonal bug netting. (weight diff. 40-60 oz.)

Not too many have cat trowels--some do. (weight 1-2 oz.)

With alkie stoves, I still see atleast half the people roughly using cannister (and some white gas) stoves. (weight diff. between resupply maybe 16-18 oz)

say no to tents--
GlazeDog

p.s. except for mountaineers

Spork
03-03-2007, 13:22
Definitely the "revolutionary" Jetboil (and it's new bastard half-siblings the MSR Reactor and Primus EtaPower)! So revolutionary in fact that I can boil twice the amount of water in half the time, carrying half the weight and shelling out half the cost with my non-revolutionary individual components. Oh, and I can actually cook with them too... VivaLaRevolution!!

Jack Tarlin
03-03-2007, 13:24
Any footwear that advertises itself as "Waterproof."

Chache
03-03-2007, 13:28
This could be a longer thread than that creation debate

Mother's Finest
03-03-2007, 13:32
i agree too

thirded...

peace
mf

Mother's Finest
03-03-2007, 13:32
whoops, the original quote was absent, I meant about trekking poles

peace
mf

hammock engineer
03-03-2007, 13:37
I dislike TNF because I see about 20+ people in a bar wearing them to be trendy. That and they are heavy and inexpensive.

To me the most overrated piece of gear is any commerical product that you buy at full price. With all the discount sites out there you can always find good deals. The only time I buy stuff at full price is from cottage gear manufactors.

hammock engineer
03-03-2007, 13:39
I dislike TNF because I see about 20+ people in a bar wearing them to be trendy. That and they are heavy and inexpensive.

To me the most overrated piece of gear is any commerical product that you buy at full price. With all the discount sites out there you can always find good deals. The only time I buy stuff at full price is from cottage gear manufactors.

Opps. I ment EXPENSIVE.

Spork
03-03-2007, 13:41

Maybe we could combine them and debate whether God created overrated gear or whether it evolves through natural selection... Either way, Jetboil did NOT result from Intelligent Design!! :p

weary
03-03-2007, 13:52
Any stove that doesn't burn wood -- the renewable, environmentally friendly fuel.

Weary

max patch
03-03-2007, 13:59
If you are determined to carry a synthetic bag that the Cats Meow is an excellent choice.

Most overrated gear? Top three would be: Trekking poles. WalMart grease pot. Trekking poles.

highway
03-03-2007, 14:07
Gaiters. Not only are they goofy looking but serve no useful purpose and are far to heavy to carry for the 'fruity' look.

maxNcathy
03-03-2007, 14:14
Why do many hikers with tarptents and hammocks and tents sigh in relief to find room in a shelter if they hear that nasty weather is on its way when they often report that their sleeping bags and gear got soaked by rain that blew in the open side of the shelter or in some cases from a roof that leaked??

Is every form of shelter over rated?

aaronthebugbuffet
03-03-2007, 14:15
Any footwear that advertises itself as "Waterproof."
Anything that says waterproof and breathable.

eventidecu
03-03-2007, 14:16
My vote would be bear spray. Anyone know ANYONE who ever used it on anything but themselfs? I'd rather carry around bottle of bourbin to drink then throw at it than that can-o-bs. If your scared carry a pistola and save weight. (glock 29) Not placing "rules" over my saftey if I think theres REALLY a chance of getting eat by a bear.

highway
03-03-2007, 14:24
Gasoline stove. They are far to bulky and heavy for just heating water and/or food

hammock engineer
03-03-2007, 14:47
Why do many hikers with tarptents and hammocks and tents sigh in relief to find room in a shelter if they hear that nasty weather is on its way when they often report that their sleeping bags and gear got soaked by rain that blew in the open side of the shelter or in some cases from a roof that leaked??

Is every form of shelter over rated?

Nooo not hammocks. I think it is more the person. I have made it through a couple good downpours and down to -10 deg in my hammock just fine.

I think it is more people's inexperience in choosing a good site to setup in. Than they get lazy and just go to shelters.

rafe
03-03-2007, 15:23
Gasoline stove. They are far to bulky and heavy for just heating water and/or food

Mine's served me well for about 18 years now. A bit heavy, yes. For sure.

Chache
03-03-2007, 15:35
Maybe we could combine them and debate whether God created overrated gear or whether it evolves through natural selection... Either way, Jetboil did NOT result from Intelligent Design!! :p
Then must have Evolved. Actually I just got a Jetboil. I will see if it works for me. I only boil water and use dehydrated stuff

Spork
03-03-2007, 16:11
Then must have Evolved. Actually I just got a Jetboil. I will see if it works for me. I only boil water and use dehydrated stuff

I was just joshin' about the intelligent design part. :cool: It's actually a very clever design idea and probably works great. I just think it's overrated and their "revolutionary" marketing claim irks me. You'd think they discovered the secret of how to boil water...

rafe
03-03-2007, 16:14
I was just joshin' about the intelligent design part. :cool: It's actually a very clever design idea and probably works great. I just think it's overrated and their "revolutionary" marketing claim irks me. You'd think they discovered the secret of how to boil water...

Mildly overrated, perhaps. But it is objectively the most efficient of all canister stoves, and probably the most windproof. Aside from that, it's mostly clever packaging.

Spork
03-03-2007, 16:54
But it is objectively the most efficient of all canister stoves, and probably the most windproof.

I'm not sure what criteria you're considering when you say it is the most efficient and wonder whether efficiency is at all an objective measure. For instance, do you (or I, or someone else) consider a stove's efficiency to be its boil time, average fuel consumption, ability to simmer, total weight over time including fuel (how much time?), ability to perform multiple cooking tasks, etc. Seems to me efficiency turns out to be a very subjective measurement and that no one stove can "do it all" most efficiently. I've also heard some grumbling about how windproof the Jetboil actually is, but that could be just talk... IMHO it still wins "Most Overrated" , though I will defend to the death the inalienable right to carry one (or even two):)

rafe
03-03-2007, 17:09
I'm not sure what criteria you're considering when you say it is the most efficient and wonder whether efficiency is at all an objective measure.

BPL has done tests and published data. Unfortunately the published data is "members only." Efficiency in this case relates to total cups of water boiled per canister, with or without windscreen. I know it's no "lightweight" stove -- that's not news.

Blissful
03-03-2007, 17:26
Just curious why people think trekking poles are overrated. Unless you mean one can go with just the standard wood stick God gave on the ground and not buy into a fancy pair. Poles themselves are great. I find a huge difference going up a hill with my legs and on my knees going down. And I can't say how many times they have helped preserve me in a river crossing so I don't go dunking when I slip on a rock.

eventidecu
03-03-2007, 17:30
I'd "guess" my Giga will do anything the JetBoil will ifin I hada proper wind screen married from the ground up to the pot. Good lord if your going to use a canister stove go with the lightest. What difference doe's a minute or 10 mean out on the trail. What ya waitin for that you can't sit there and have it entertain you for a couple more minutes. Now don't say fire isn't entertaining cause it is.

rafe
03-03-2007, 17:31
Just curious why people think trekking poles are overrated ...

Blissful, you know there's no unanimity on that topic -- far from it. If you choose to hike with poles, you don't need to defend that decision or feel the least bit guilty about it.

Rain Man
03-03-2007, 17:31
.... If your scared carry a pistola and save weight. (glock 29) Not placing "rules" over my saftey if I think theres REALLY a chance of getting eat by a bear.

Are we rationalizing putting ourselves above the rules again? Or, has there been a rash of bears-eating-humans on the AT this year I don't know about? 'Cause there sure hasn't been in all the prior years the AT has existed.

So, most over-rated? Silly, over-blown fears and pistols on the AT!

Rain:sunMan

Jack Tarlin
03-03-2007, 17:32
Another over-rated product:

Spam in a foil pouch.

Convenient; no fuss, no muss; less trash to pack out.

Still tastes like kitten in a can.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-03-2007, 17:34
..... tastes like kitten in a can.:eek: And you know this how - No wait, I don't want to know :eek:

eventidecu
03-03-2007, 17:38
Thanks for making my point EXACTLY Rain Man, who needs to carry anything for bears. My quote was "if" you think there is a REAL THREAT of bears, carry something that will work if you need it.
Are we rationalizing putting ourselves above the rules again? Or, has there been a rash of bears-eating-humans on the AT this year I don't know about? 'Cause there sure hasn't been in all the prior years the AT has existed.

So, most over-rated? Silly, over-blown fears and pistols on the AT!

Rain:sunMan

Brrrb Oregon
03-03-2007, 17:39
The difference being somebody might change their mind on this one.

eventidecu
03-03-2007, 17:41
Don't think they will be much "mind changing" just adding to their list of crap you don't need. LOL

Brrrb Oregon
03-03-2007, 17:42
You mean it's like saying Greg Louganis walked on water? The truth is quite remarkable enough.

smokymtnsteve
03-03-2007, 17:43

there is NO overrated piece of gear...:D

Brrrb Oregon
03-03-2007, 17:44

Spam in a foil pouch.

What, you've had home-canned kitten? Or is this another East coast deli item? We never know when you're joking, out here in the provinces. ;)

Ewker
03-03-2007, 17:51

Spam in a foil pouch.

just curious how you know what a kitten in a can taste like :eek:

Spork
03-03-2007, 17:59

Maybe you've just been getting the wrong brand of canned kitten. That generic stuff is crap - they just use alley kittens!. That's why I only eat the tuna-free name-brand stuff where they farm grow the kittens and feed them strictly a diet of Jack Daniels and baby seals...Tastes kinda like whiskey-and-baby-seal-fed chicken. But definitely don't buy the hickory smoked canned kitten - it's overrated...:D

Jack Tarlin
03-03-2007, 18:02
Well, since everyone's in such an amused frame of mind....

www.shorty.com/bonsaikitten/

Topcat
03-03-2007, 18:16
Ok, first of all, let me tell you all that kitten is kind of stringy and tastes like,well.....cat. As to how i found out...

In 1983, i was living on the Haitian border of the Dominican Republic. There was an older woman there who wanted me to date her 16 year old grand daughter. Now she was cute, even with the missing front teeth, but i was 22 and had a girlfriend at home so i begged off. Now the people of the town thought it was weird that i wasnt available for the fine young lady and couldnt believe that i had a girlfriend 2000 miles away and, even if i did, why was i letting that stop me. The general consensus was that i was light in the loafers.

This older woman invited me to dinner and there was meat on the table, something i hadnt had for a while, so i wasnt asking questions. After i finished, she looked at me and said "that will take care of you..." I asked her what she meant and she said " the meat was cat and it will cure you, give you big balls...." I still didnt date her grand daughter though.

All and all, cat aint that bad...

Spork
03-03-2007, 18:23
she looked at me and said "that will take care of you..." I asked her what she meant and she said " the meat was cat and it will cure you, give you big balls...."

Well, don't keep us in suspense....:confused:

(bear in mind this is a MOST OVERRATED GEAR thread!!) :D

Topcat
03-03-2007, 18:26
Well, don't keep us in suspense....:confused:

Nothing grew....dammit:D

greentick
03-03-2007, 18:48

Spam in a foil pouch.

mmmm.... just like the old Cat and Dog Loaf in 1st generation MREs.

highway
03-03-2007, 18:53
Getting back on topic, "What's the most over-rated piece of gear"?

Another is the often-stated requirement of "heavy boots" being necessary for hiking. It just isn't so.

Programbo
03-03-2007, 18:53
there is NO overrated piece of gear...:D

How about the Arctic Cam? ;)

saimyoji
03-03-2007, 19:07
Surprised no one has mentioned Nalgenes.

smokymtnsteve
03-03-2007, 19:28
How about the Arctic Cam? ;)

over-rated...maybe..but it is fun to call your friends and wave at them over the internet when it's -43F:banana

http://arcticcam.com:16080/cam/

LostInSpace
03-03-2007, 19:37
1st, 2nd, & 3rd choices: shelters, shelters, and shelters!

moxie
03-03-2007, 19:52
:banana Goretex raingear---vastly overrated. I have used a $30 waterproof rain jacket and been just as comfortable. My choice though is froggs toggs. 20% the price as goretex and more waterproof, more breathable, and can wash in any machine without treatment.

Cuffs
03-03-2007, 20:41

Thanks Jack! Beer thru the nose and onto the keyboard!!

Cuffs
03-03-2007, 20:43
Maybe you've just been getting the wrong brand of canned kitten. That generic stuff is crap - they just use alley kittens!. That's why I only eat the tuna-free name-brand stuff where they farm grow the kittens and feed them strictly a diet of Jack Daniels and baby seals...Tastes kinda like whiskey-and-baby-seal-fed chicken. But definitely don't buy the hickory smoked canned kitten - it's overrated...:D

Beer spurt #2!!

Programbo
03-03-2007, 21:19
Another is the often-stated requirement of "heavy boots" being necessary for hiking. It just isn't so.

Hmmm..I`m not so sure..I seem to hear a lot of talk about people with foot problems and things and some of it may come from walking on countless rocks all day long wearing a pack while wearing beefed up tennis shoes which are passed of as "trail shoes" or whatever...With the old style "heavy boots" the soles were so stiff that your foot would bridge the gaps between rocks or between the ground and a rock without your foot (and all the inner bones and joints) being constantly bent and stressed by the impact

lvleph
03-03-2007, 21:24
Hmmm..I`m not so sure..I seem to hear a lot of talk about people with foot problems and things and some of it may come from walking on countless rocks all day long wearing a pack while wearing beefed up tennis shoes which are passed of as "trail shoes" or whatever...With the old style "heavy boots" the soles were so stiff that your foot would bridge the gaps between rocks or between the ground and a rock without your foot (and all the inner bones and joints) being constantly bent and stressed by the impact
Maybe the load that the person was carrying was too heavy?

Programbo
03-03-2007, 22:19
Maybe the load that the person was carrying was too heavy?

Or the load wasn`t that heavy and they were just in a hurry which increased the impact on their feet....I think someone carrying 25 pounds but racing up the trail is jarring their feet worse than someone carrying 40 pounds and walking more slowly? :-?

Spork
03-03-2007, 22:31
Well, since everyone's in such an amused frame of mind....
www.shorty.com/bonsaikitten/ (http://www.shorty.com/bonsaikitten/)

Great idea Jack! This kitten bonsai is VERY relaxing! I'm making you a little something as my way of saying "thanks". Hope you have a ball with it...
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15390&c=member&imageuser=11566

lvleph
03-03-2007, 23:05
I also think our feet were not made to wear shoes and that is part of the problem. However, most if not all people are not acclimated to wearing no shoes.

No Belay
03-03-2007, 23:34
Don't know if three can qualify as "the" most over rated but it's a toss up among the 3. Probably a notch ahead of the other 2 is the Jet-boil stove especially the group version. Running close behind would be ultra light packs and Frogg Toggs.

bigmac_in
03-03-2007, 23:35
Gaiters. Not only are they goofy looking but serve no useful purpose and are far to heavy to carry for the 'fruity' look.

I agree - it has to be gaiters. What a waste ...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-04-2007, 07:47
Great idea Jack! This kitten bonsai is VERY relaxing! I'm making you a little something as my way of saying "thanks". Hope you have a ball with it...
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15390&c=member&imageuser=11566You guys are sick, but one of my little friends (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Springer.jpg) likes it.

RSWillis
03-04-2007, 08:55
I would have to say a hubcap (how I got my TN) they really aren't very useful despite what you hear.

Touch of Grey
03-04-2007, 10:59
I guess that it is the gray matter between your ears. Too many people allow that part of their anatomy to get in the way of really enjoying a hike. Want to improve your chances of being successful, get a lobotomy. I'm scheduled for one Monday and the next week begin my thru.:banana

TOG

Brrrb Oregon
03-05-2007, 20:35
I also think our feet were not made to wear shoes and that is part of the problem. However, most if not all people are not acclimated to wearing no shoes.

Well, as our bodies don't appear to be totally acclimated to walking upright, let alone walking upright and carrying a big load, that is hard to argue with. Physically, though, are we made for a journey like that? Psychosocially, are we made to interact with so many strangers on a journey so far from our tribes? What is there about the AT that people were in any sense "made" to do?

Nothing, except that people will do pretty much anything imaginable simply because they can imagine doing it. That, we are made to do, and that is why footwear and all the rest were invented. The solutions we find might not be the best solutions, but we are creatures always on the lookout for problems in need of solution, even if they might not have been aware that they were problems in the first place. We are always on the lookout for journeys, even if the ultimate destination is physically exactly that place where we are standing.

Jim Adams
03-05-2007, 22:32
GoreTex and anything too light. There is definitly a line between comfortable and ultralight. Go softly like a wolf not delicate like a feline.

Oh yeah, the Mountain Samuri House KITTY in MOUSE SAUCE is about the best out there. Add a sprig of parsley, a small leek, and a grind of fresh ginger--it's to die for!!! Stop ruining your palates on that foil pouch cat out there.
geek
ps--i know cats.
pss--the cats meow is a great bag for the money.
psss--yes, I was able to pull that all together under one topic.

Jim Adams
03-05-2007, 22:36
You guys are sick, but one of my little friends (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Springer.jpg) likes it.

:banana Just clicked back to todays' posts---next topic---NORMAL PEOPLE.

geek

icemanat95
03-06-2007, 09:36

Spam in a foil pouch.

Ouch...too much laughing....sides ache....can't..... breathe....thud.

icemanat95
03-06-2007, 09:47

There is no reason why a light(er) weight boot cannot have the same stiffening in the sole.

I tend to walk on the points and edges of rocks myself for the simple reason that those contact points offer the best possible friction/traction....but a whole day of it in thin shoes is murder on the feet. That's why I look for boots/shoes with some meat in the soles so they can stand up to that sort of treatment. Reducing pack weight helps a lot though.

BTW, you cannot really walk on the points and edges of PA rocks since they aren't really firmly bedded. You'll tear your ankles to hell if you try.

In my opinion, when they were blasting out the paths for roads in PA, they gathered all the fractured rock up and used prison labor to haul it up onto the trails. When new road is blasted through stone, the sharpest rubble is gathered up and stockpiled for "trail maintenance" ensuring a renewable source of razor edged stones for when the existing trail points wear down. Of course many trailbed stones can be quickly resharpened by an experienced flint-knapper (which is why this skill is becoming increasingly popular among PA trail maintainers...it's easier to knap a new edge on a worn stone than to haul up a selection of replacements.

But seriously folks...a reasonably sturdy shoe is a good idea for PA and the Whites. Waterproof construction is not worth the extra money though.

icemanat95
03-06-2007, 09:50
I agree - it has to be gaiters. What a waste ...

I wear short gaiters for the warmer months to keep dirt and grit out of my boots or shoes...well worth the extra ounce or so. In colder, snowy weather I find tall gaiters useful in keeping my calves warm and keeping snow and such from flowing into my boots. But I have smallish ankles and this may not be a problem for other folks. Gaiters are basic gear in winter hiking...optional in warm weather hiking.

warren doyle
03-06-2007, 10:19
1) The dependence on two pricey hiking sticks when one $1 used ski pole would do.
2) Water filters.
3) Superfeet and the 'Dr.' that pushes them.

John B
03-06-2007, 10:21
The 'kitten in a can' and 'dog & cat loaf' comments made my day. :D

The items that I've wasted the most money on vis-a-vis usefulness were a titanium spork (free plastic spoon from McD's works fine for me) and Gore-tex boots (I like trailrunners, which were about half the cost).

max patch
03-06-2007, 10:26
trekking poles
gaiters
walmart grease pot
hammocks

neo
03-06-2007, 10:29
[quote=terrapin_too;332483]Alcohol stoves.[/quote

:D your right,i dont use them anymore,i am a jetboil freak now:cool: neo

neo
03-06-2007, 10:30
Waterproof "Breathable" raingear.
Water filters
Lexan Nalgenes

i use a gatorade bottle and aqua mira:cool: neo

neo
03-06-2007, 10:32
:p tents,they suck,why,because hammocks rule:cool: neo

chazmo
03-06-2007, 11:48
Originally posted by Max Patch:

trekking poles
gaiters
walmart grease pot
hammocksHammocks overrated? :-? I wonder if you have tried one yet?

My vote for overrated equipment is anything made out of titanium.

Baum Trigger
03-06-2007, 11:51
all kinds of backpacks..

everyone should place their stuff in one bandanna, tie it to the end of a stick, and throw it over your sholder hobo style...its the only way to travel...

hobbit
03-06-2007, 12:37
im starting to think alchohol stoves... i've been using a pocket rocket unless its really warm imo summer cuz then i don't really worry about it so much plus i actually like cooking which is kinda hard to do over alchohol stoves

lvleph
03-06-2007, 12:58
im starting to think alchohol stoves... i've been using a pocket rocket unless its really warm imo summer cuz then i don't really worry about it so much plus i actually like cooking which is kinda hard to do over alchohol stoves
I have been considering changing back to a more traditional stove, but my concern is the availability of fuel. Alcohol is real easy to come by.

hobbit
03-06-2007, 13:05
i should be a little less vauge im not using the pocket rocket for really long distances but shorter trips on which I enjoy carrying food that actually needs to be cooked
I would definitley stick with alchohol on longer trips because it is so much easier to find in tiny towns

Jim Adams
03-07-2007, 00:31
Hammocks overrated? :-? I wonder if you have tried one yet?

Hammocks are for people with hang-ups! :p
I have tried a hammock on several occassions and have yet to sleep better than I do on the ground.:cool:

geek

FanaticFringer
03-07-2007, 01:09
Hammocks are for people with hang-ups! :p
I have tried a hammock on several occassions and have yet to sleep better than I do on the ground.:cool:

geek

Neo is right as usual. Tent's suck.:D

Peaks
03-07-2007, 09:24
1) The dependence on two pricey hiking sticks when one $1 used ski pole would do.
2) Water filters.
3) Superfeet and the 'Dr.' that pushes them.

Warren,

To me, it's all a matter of personal preference. I hiked half the AT one summer without Superfeet, and after that, my feet were so tender that I didn't know if my feet would ever feel normal again. It took months to recover. The next summer, I hiked the other half of the AT using Superfeet, and my feet were fine.

Superfeet work for me. I'm sold on them. But, I also recongize and understand that like all gear, they certainly are not for everyone.

Midway Sam
03-07-2007, 09:28
My list:

People who tell me my gear is overrated or useless.I have carefully chosen the gear I use based on my needs and/or desires. In my almost 2 years here I've been accused of using "retarded" gear, "useless" gear and now "overrated" gear.

At least I hike.

TJ aka Teej
03-07-2007, 09:35
Earl Shaffer once told me that trail guides "aren't worth spit" because all they can ever be is a report of what a trail was at a point in the past.

After years of using and helping write trail guides, I think I can agree that their importance is overrated. :sun

D'Artagnan
03-07-2007, 10:18
My list:

People who tell me my gear is overrated or useless.I have carefully chosen the gear I use based on my needs and/or desires. In my almost 2 years here I've been accused of using "retarded" gear, "useless" gear and now "overrated" gear.

At least I hike.

Hooah! My thoughts exactly.

rafe
03-07-2007, 10:38
My list:

People who tell me my gear is overrated or useless.

Bingo. The important thing is to hike... and hopefully, to do it comfortably and safely. Use whatever works.

max patch
03-07-2007, 11:49
Earl Shaffer once told me that trail guides "aren't worth spit" because all they can ever be is a report of what a trail was at a point in the past.

Thats true. However, Earl lost the trail more than once on his first hike. One wonders how much of a difference having his lost in the mail guidebooks with him on his hike would have helped in that regard.

Ender
03-07-2007, 12:48
My list:

At least I hike.

Perfectly said.

Ender
03-07-2007, 12:49
Thats true. However, Earl lost the trail more than once on his first hike. One wonders how much of a difference having his lost in the mail guidebooks with him on his hike would have helped in that regard.

And yet, he had a great trip. I'd be one to argue that his trip was all the better for having lost the way a few times.

Gaiter
03-07-2007, 12:53
Most overrated:
1) BP magazine
I much rather learn from a source that isn't majority paid advertisements, like here for example.

2) Gram Weanies--- They are gear because occasionally you might learn something useful from them, but I really don't care about saving a few oz. by cutting out the tags on my clothes.

I know some of yall are going to say that its technically not gear, and thats true, but it can be seen as a prep gear/research.

Gaiter
03-07-2007, 12:55
And Knowledge is the most underated gear!!!

Spock
03-07-2007, 15:11
Sporks, tents, water filters, waterproof shoes, treking poles, hip belts, sternum straps, Jet-boil, GPS units, high tech tent stakes. Uh-oh. Probably dissed someone.

Most under-rated gear: Esbit, tarps, frameless packs, ponchos and capes.

Spork
03-07-2007, 15:22
Sporks,.... Uh-oh. Probably dissed someone.

Probably....?:D

homebrew
03-07-2007, 17:48
:sun Went through 2 pairs of Vasque Sundowners by the time I reached Rangley, ME. Do NOT buy Vasque products the quality is very poor, they put all their money into the advertising hype and lies.

Ender
03-07-2007, 18:10
:sun Went through 2 pairs of Vasque Sundowners by the time I reached Rangley, ME. Do NOT buy Vasque products the quality is very poor, they put all their money into the advertising hype and lies.

I went through one pair of Vasques for the entire trip. Experiences vary between individuals.

rswanson
03-07-2007, 19:02
I'll second (or third? or fourth?) it...any shoes/boots claining to keep your feet dry. I'm sure someone has pulled it off but you're definitely in the minority.

Oh, and antishock mechanisms in trekking poles. Does anyone really think they help at all?

Bravo
03-07-2007, 19:19
Oh, and antishock mechanisms in trekking poles. Does anyone really think they help at all?

Yeah. They help keep the wildlife away. clickclickclickclick.

maxNcathy
03-07-2007, 19:24
Sporks, water filters, waterproof shoes, Jet-boil, GPS units, high tech tent stakes. Uh-oh. Probably dissed someone.

The very most over-rated gear: Esbit, tarps, frameless packs, ponchos and capes.

I agree.
You are a genius!:sun

Skidsteer
03-07-2007, 19:35
I agree.
You are a genius!:sun
And I am not because I misqoted you for no particular reason.

Comprende? :)

Two Speed
03-07-2007, 20:23
Thats true. However, Earl lost the trail more than once on his first hike. One wonders how much of a difference having his lost in the mail guidebooks with him on his hike would have helped in that regard.Yeah, but getting lost can be half the fun if you're not on a tight schedule. I've found some of my favorite camping spots on "unplanned excursions." Still use guide books and journals, and I always have some kind of map, but getting lost ain't the end of the world. Really, all it means is that you're temporarily unsure of your exact location.

I don't know about most over rated, but I found the magnesium block w/striker thingy to be about the most useless. At least that's the way it looks from Planet Two Speed.

icemanat95
03-07-2007, 21:38

Two pairs of boots by Maine isn't that unusual. My third pair of boots were on their last legs when I reached Katahdin, but that same brand of boots is faring much better in normal weekender type use.

Thru-hiking is ABUSIVE to gear.

FanaticFringer
03-08-2007, 03:10
Yeah. They help keep the wildlife away. clickclickclickclick.

These poles are priced right and click also:
www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=21854782&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

the_iceman
03-08-2007, 09:04
Alcohol stoves
Waterproof “breathable” anything
Experts – My definition of an Expert = Anyone who states their opinion LOUDER than everyone else.

Jim Adams
03-08-2007, 10:11
:confused:
I bought a pair of Sundowns, used them for 4 years for camping, hiking and wilderness canoeing.
I then used them from Georgia to Pennsylvania and from New Hampshire to Katahdin on my thru hike.
I got home and used them 5 days a week for 3 years for work.
I think that I got my money's worth!

geek

weary
03-08-2007, 12:27
:confused:
I bought a pair of Sundowns, used them for 4 years for camping, hiking and wilderness canoeing.
I then used them from Georgia to Pennsylvania and from New Hampshire to Katahdin on my thru hike.
I got home and used them 5 days a week for 3 years for work.
I think that I got my money's worth! geek
One pair of boots used to be routine. Now most hikers seem to wear modified sneakers to save a few ounces and go through 3 or 4 pairs. Most any sturdy work boots will last the trail, as Earl Shaffer discovered on his multiple walks.

A friend of mine walked the trail twice with the same pair of Dexter boots. Sadly Dexter has run into hard times and as near as I can tell is selling what's left of its inventory on the internet.

After his first walk Dexter was offered his used boot. The company declined the offer. "Of course, they lasted 2,000 miles," a spokesperson said. "They are designed to do that." Sadly they didn't advertise to the hiking market and hardly anyone knew.

Weary

mountain squid
03-08-2007, 13:32
Surprised no one has mentioned Nalgenes.
I'm with you. You can't walk into an outfitter/sports store without seeing an entire section dedicated to them. Different sizes, different shapes, different colors...if all you need is something to hold liquid in, shouldn't a Gatorade bottle (or other plastic container filled with a tasty drink) suffice...

But what happens? When people go to the outfitter they become mesmerized :jumpby the bright shining colors and next thing they know there are 4 of them in their basket:rolleyes:. And, then when they leave, they stop at the convenience store and get a Gatorade anyway:-?...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

RobKimball
03-08-2007, 13:44
I'll nominate those silly things that turn your therma-rest into a chair. I am always amazed when I see people sitting on rocks and dirt on top of a hundred-dollar piece of gear that does not take kindly to being punctured!

whitefoot_hp
03-08-2007, 14:36
why are all the things i like overrated!? damit

Hana_Hanger
03-08-2007, 15:27
Shelters!!!

Tarptents are highly over-rated...

I own two, a Squall and a Brawny and my good old fashion Eurkea is far more comfortable...but the tarptents win, hands down as far as weight goes!

Trekking Poles...any walking stick will do!

whitefoot_hp
03-08-2007, 17:47
sleeping bags in general. you can just dig a hole to sleep in. then throw leaves over yourself. and food!!! there are plenty of berries out there people!!!! use what the good lord gave ya!

mweinstone
03-08-2007, 18:01
poop. poop is the most overated peice of gear.

The Solemates
03-08-2007, 18:21
poop. poop is the most overated peice of gear.

i know what you mean. i always get rid of my poop. dont like to carry it around.

PJ 2005
03-08-2007, 22:31
Overexposed, yes, but I still think TNF cat's meow is the best bang for your buck when it comes to synthetic 20 degree bags...

spittinpigeon
03-14-2007, 18:38
Overexposed, yes, but I still think TNF cat's meow is the best bang for your buck when it comes to synthetic 20 degree bags...

It's great at losing it's loft too. I've seen many of these bags, and all of them look different. It reminds me of this Russian microphone manufacturer who is known for it's inconsistency in product materials and quality. They just grab anything laying around to make the 'stuff'.

RedneckRye
03-14-2007, 22:36
I'm with you. You can't walk into an outfitter/sports store without seeing an entire section dedicated to them. Different sizes, different shapes, different colors...if all you need is something to hold liquid in, shouldn't a Gatorade bottle (or other plastic container filled with a tasty drink) suffice...

But what happens? When people go to the outfitter they become mesmerized :jumpby the bright shining colors and next thing they know there are 4 of them in their basket:rolleyes:. And, then when they leave, they stop at the convenience store and get a Gatorade anyway:-?...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

As a guy that has worked at an outfitter for more than several years, all I can say is "God bless the overrated gear!!"
Overrated, heavy, shiny, North Face Logo Emblazoned gear is what keeps every outfitter shop in business (except maybe Neels Gap, MRO in Damascus, and The Outfitter in Harpers Ferry - or not, since they are all in tourist stop type places and sell lots of sweatshirts, t-shirts, etc).

Even if every ultralight/ long-distance/ gram-weenie hiker that was planning more than 1 day of hiking this year were to buy all of their gear at the same shop, that shop would probably have to close down and sell off all of their super specialized gear at an ultra discounted price just to pay the final electric bill and rent check.

Halleluja for the multi-colored Nalgene bottles, $8.49 each, can I get the whole rainbow for you?

Hooray for the Pink North Face Denali Jacket - $165.00 that never has to be explained or debated. Just rung out and bagged.

If the shop sells enough of those, we can afford to have some Western Mountaineering bags hanging in the back of the store, and god knows those aren't overrated, ever.

Hope I don't sound bitter as I love my job, but reading folks whine and complain here just gets kinda old.

No Belay
03-14-2007, 22:51
Most overrated? VIAGRA:mad: