PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Hardware

Jeff
08-06-2003, 20:24
Does anyone know who has the best prices for Mountain Hardware products?

Anybody use the MH Tempest SL Jacket?

Lilred
08-06-2003, 23:24
check e-bay. I saved a bundle on my tent there.

Don
08-07-2003, 08:38
except for sales, you're not likely to find much of a price difference on Mt. Hardwear gear or clothing between retailers. You can often find pretty good deals on older or discontinued itmes at Sierra Surplus or at Northern Mountain Supply (Killerdeals.com).

Rift Zone
08-08-2003, 04:34
I carried the tempest windshirt on the southern quarter. Worthy piece of gear. The entire jacket will wet out before you get through the Smokies so now i just use microweave for long distance. The Tempest is an ideal piece for all other activities

Truth be known. A good rain hat, the tempest pants (or any that have side zipps for ventilation) and a windstopper vest was my preferred hiking in the rain wear. The jacket was for the few times it was really cold, bug protection at camp and something to wear in town.

Mike Drinkuth
08-11-2003, 07:48
www.campmor.com

Sparky!
08-16-2003, 17:13
I have to agree with DOn, I just bought a MH Hammerhead tent, I searched and search and the price were no different. You have to look for sales. Campmor is having a sale on some MH gear.

I heard a rumor that MH was bought out or is about to be bought out by Coleman? Has anyone else heard that?

fwassner
08-16-2003, 21:41
Originally posted by Sparky!

I heard a rumor that MH was bought out or is about to be bought out by Coleman? Has anyone else heard that?

Please tell me it ain't true!
I love MH gear, albeit a bit expensive. To think they might be bought out by Coleman is distressing. I don't use Coleman gear for anything. I kind of avoid it because I have come to think of Coleman as low-end.

IMO, MH is the best of gear. NorthFace used to be good stuff too, but they went too "public" in trying to boost sales. I guess it worked, as I do see a lot of their gear around.
Maybe some of their gear is still top as well, but from what I've read it ain't what it used to be.

I have a MH GoreTex shell (don't remember the model) which I love very much. Have worn it many times skiing and never been cold.
A bit too heavy for a thru-hike, but would be nice on those colder inghts in March. May still use it, then send it on home later.

I have a MH NightView 2 man tent but it won't be going on the thru-hike. At 8 lbs with rain fly it's way, way too heavy. I will be looking at a lighter MH tent for the thru-hike.

fwassner
08-16-2003, 21:43
I'll have to remember E*Bay when I start looking for gear late in the fall.

Don
08-17-2003, 10:12
I did a search on Google news for mountain hardwear. Two stories came up....earlier this year Mountain Hardwear was acquired by Columbia....not Coleman. Whether or not this will result in changes to MH will depend on how independent the parent company allows MH to be...

On another note, Arc'teryx was acquired by Solomon/Adidas...

You might be surpised at who owns who: for example, London Fog owns Pacific Trail, Roffe, Black Dot, Dockers and Moonstone. Cascade Design has THerma-rest, Platypus, Sweetwater, Sealine. Johnson Outdoors, owns Old Town, Necky, Eureka, Camp Trails, SIlva as well as its line of outboard motors and so forth....and didn't REI acquire MSR earlier this year?

fwassner
08-17-2003, 14:00
Well, I'm a bit less distressed to find that MH was acquired by Columbia. I still have some respect for Columbia gear, although I don't own any. See a lot of it on the trail and the ski slopes.

It is hard to keep track of all the acquisitions that are happening every week. Problem with some is that sometimes the acquiring company will dissolve the acquired into it's own and we lose another brand. I would hate to see MH go. Hope they stay strong, and nothing changes.

With GoreTex patent running out a few years ago, I have seen prices on it plummet. I paid $450 for my MH GoreTex jacket. Now I could probably buy one for under $300.