PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Survey Questions

RedneckRye
03-04-2007, 02:58
I'm headed down to hang out along the trail and feed some hikers in a few weeks. Since I'm planning on doing this, I guess it isn't "Magic".
I also work at a gear shop and help outfit/ encourage/ answer questions for many hikers every year (been doing this for about 9 years now).
I plan on getting out to the trail at least at least 3, maybe 4 times this year and I'm thinking of doing a gear, experience, health, etc survey. No great scientific or academic study, just a one page quiz for hikers to fill out so that I can compile their info to pass along to folks that are planning on hiking that come into my shop. Also, I'll post the answers here.
Anyhow, here is the list of questions I've come up with so far. I'm not asking for your answers to the questions, but if you have any ideas for other questions, let me have them.

YOUR TRAIL EXPERIENCE
What has surprised you the most so far?
What has been the best thing so far?
What has been the biggest dissapointment so far?
What health issues have you had so far?
What do you wish you had known before you started?
Where did you get your planning info?
How much planning did you do?

YOUR GEAR
What did you start with and what are you carrying now:
Pack?
Footwear?
Sleeping Bag?
Sleeping Pad?
Stove?
Shelter?
Water Treatment?
What were the first things you got rid of?
What unnecessary stuff are you still carrying?
Misc gear thoughts?

YOU
Start date?
Miles from start/ miles to go?
Where are you from?
Age and Sex?
Purist (be honest, I'm not the ATC)?
Trail name or not?
ATC or ALDHA member?

Brushy Sage
03-04-2007, 21:22
Just a suggestion: combine, or tailor down, or eliminate some of the questions; seems to me that's a long list of topics for thru hikers to think about, when they are so focused on making progress.

doggiebag
03-04-2007, 22:01
Just a suggestion: combine, or tailor down, or eliminate some of the questions; seems to me that's a long list of topics for thru hikers to think about, when they are so focused on making progress.
The survey does have a capitalistic smell to it IMHO however I see no heartburn in sharing practical information in exchange for the chow. I agree in a more friendly format to the questionaire. Since the experience of long distance hiking/isolation can turn folks more introspective/zen like or just plain bat**** crazy.