PDA

View Full Version : First Aid Kit?????????

Bear the Dog
03-04-2007, 07:47
I was wondereing if you guys think a roll of duct tape would be sufficient for day hikes and overnighters?
I don't take any medication not even pain stuff or anti-inf. so what is going to fit in a 1-8 oz. first aid kit that is really gonna save your life?

Do you guys think duct tape will work in place of band aids and mole skin? I am not allergic to anything and don't really care if I get stung and have to walk around like that for a day.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-04-2007, 08:12
I would at least add some Loperamide/ Imodium (anti-diarrhea), benadryl tabs (for bad allergic reactions), an antibiotic ointment (stop infection before it starts) and a tiny tube of 10% hydrocortisone (poison ivy, stings of all sorts, monkey butt and crotch rot).

hopefulhiker
03-04-2007, 08:33
I have tried duct tape for blisters. It can actually irritate the blister.. Although I have used it to hold other bandages in place. Just for an overnighter though.. Im not sure you would have to carry a whole roll, just some wrapped around a bottle or something...

Bear the Dog
03-04-2007, 08:41
Well I meant a small roll wraped around a straw.
First Aid Kit (1/2 oz.)
-3 band aids (1 small+2 regular)
-1 anticeptic wipe
-small roll gauze
-4 ibprof. if not for me maybe another hiker
-duct tape around a straw
.5 oz total.

RockStar
03-04-2007, 08:56
I carry the already medicated bandaids. Though you should carry a little something for bug bites. if/when they are going to be a problem. :(

Wanderingson
03-04-2007, 11:41
I'm just a wee bit curious if you are only doing an overnighter, why the obsession with ultralight?

I would have to evaluate conditions of the trail, weather conditions, my conditions etc... many factors contribute to which kit I carry. I tend to go a wee bit overboard with my kits because you do not want things going south without at least some basics and the know how to use them.

I carry duck tape everywhere and even have several busines sized folds in my wallet right now. Duct tape is the universal fix all and that goes for an expediant wound closure as well.

Lyle
03-04-2007, 11:59
The absolute minimum first aid kit, and the item that will prove most benificial in all cases, is some training. After that, most things can be improvised.

Personnally, I carry some motrin, moleskin/molefoam, anti-diarrheal, and possibly cold medication (on AT would probably skip this as re-supply options are so plentiful). Benadryl probably wouldn't be a bad idea but I can't remember ever carrying it, Gold bond is good, but again, I would just pick this up along the way if needed - not necessary for overnight. Couple of bandaids can be useful, one or two larger gauze pads, a roll of 2" bandaging, and usually a 3" elastic wrap. This all fits easily into a quart-size ziplock. This assumes you have some kind of soap for cleaning any wounds (much more effective and important in the initial (first aid) care of injuries than anti-biotic ointment).

Very few items are actually essential for the intitial treatment of injuries or illness. Of course, if you medical conditions are unusual, you need to modify you supplies accordingly (diabetes, heart conditions, allergies, etc.)

I can't stress enough, training is MUCH more important than elaborate first aid kits.

Lyle

mweinstone
03-04-2007, 12:08
my first aid kit contains soap, banndanna, knife/scissors, moleskin, and my brain. i use my blood to clean wounds and my high pain threshold to get myself to help.

Gaiter
03-04-2007, 15:14
I like to carry a little tube of super glue for cuts and you don't have to worry about it falling off your skin like a bandaids, but its multifunctional for repairing stuff too (like boots). If using it for a wound, make sure the wound is clean first, so be sure to have an antibiotic ointment or alchol swabs.

Newb
03-04-2007, 15:31
I carry a box of wine and a cigar. Clears the aches at night.

buckowens
03-04-2007, 16:45
So there I was...with a Cobra helicopter and rubber covered composite rotor blades. The surface got a hole in it and it kind of blew out because of the air getting under the rubber. The crewchief consulted the manual and it was repaired with duct tape for the flight home. I love duct tape :D

Sorry, I know it has nothing to do with the post, but I just love the stuff...

Jim Adams
03-05-2007, 10:33
The absolute minimum first aid kit, and the item that will prove most benificial in all cases, is some training. After that, most things can be improvised.
I can't stress enough, training is MUCH more important than elaborate first aid kits.

Lyle
Very true! Training and common sense are better first aid than any kit ie: it doesn't matter how good or light your backpacking equipment is if you put your boots on the wrong feet!

I've been a paramedic for 30 years and realize that if you need more than simple bandaging, you probably need more advanced medical care.
My first aid kit is duct tape, immodium, ibuprophen and moleskin. The woods are full of splints, your pack is full of bandages and if you need more than this...you need an ambulance.
OTOH, through all these years of wilderness tripping that I've done....I could have gotten by with NEWB's kit. Good first aid training not only gives you the knowledge to handle emergencies but also usually makes you smart enough not to need it!:D

geek

icemanat95
03-05-2007, 11:18
The most important thing to have in your first aid kit is TRAINING. Preferably Wilderness First Aid training. The difference between Red Cross standard first aid and Wilderness First Aid/First Responder training is that the wilderness oriented training puts an emphasis on improvisation...using available items to deal with the trouble rather than set items that can be found in the medicine cabinet. Additionally, Red Cross first aid is based on the availability of immediate professional treatment...ambulance service with relatively quick access to a hospital or ER/clinic. In the backcountry, professional medical attention is hours or days away under the best conditions, so effective stabilization of the patient falls on the first aider's shoulders. Thus you may need to put broken bones in traction, treat serious open wounds, re-locate dislocated joints (which isn't really that hard if you know how to do it right---though it's painful as hell for the person being treated). There is also an acknowledgement in Wilderness First Aid that something you just can't do anything about. If someone's heart stops, your chances of getting it going again are slim to none, and there is no way you can keep up CPR long enough to get to help.

The emphasis should be on building your kit around a few multipurpose items, then adding some specialty kit around that as needed.

I carry a roll of 1 inch gauze, a roll of 1/2 inch waterproof first aid tape (or some fraction thereof) 1 sheet of moleskin. immodium AD, Motrin/Ibuprofen, pepto-bismol chewables for that serious sour stomach and some benedryl tabs (also useful sleep aids). I always carry antibacterial ointment, having had a bad experience when I didn't have it and needed it....strong courses of heavy duty antibiotics SUCK.

Infections can set in REAL fast (hours), and become serious in very little time as well. So carrying antibiotic ointment is a darned good idea.

Typically I just wash out minor wounds and let them bleed themselves dry to allow them to form a decent scab. If the wound is somewhere likely to annoy, then I cover it with gauze and ointment.

I have been known to super glue and even stitch more significant wounds (self-surgery is painful and generally inadequate, but circumstances vary).

A squeeze top water bottle can be a very useful first aid item. Fill it with clean water, preferably with a bit of iodine tossed in to make sure) and open the valve a bit then point it at the wound and squeeze HARD to create a pressurized stream of clean water to irrigate a dirty wound. This stings a LOT, but is better than debriding the wound by hand...which may still be needed, but the less of that the better. My car and household kits contain medical irrigation syringes for this purpose, but I wouldn't carry one in the woods.

My repair kit shares space with my first aid kit. So the super glue,. duct tape, needle and thread, etc. serve double duty.

Footslogger
03-05-2007, 11:36
Years ago I worked with a scout troop and served as (among other things) as the "medical goto person". As a former paramedic I was used to carrying everything but the kitchen sink when it came to first aid. I packed enough supplies to do minor surgery and sometimes ended up doing some.

That said, what I would add to the current posts would be to plan your first aid kit around YOUR needs, unles of course your training and personal goals are to be a medic or first responder. It's always nice to be in a position to help another hiker, and I'm NOT suggesting that you NOT provide aid when possible ...but truthfully, a first aid kit can get out of control fast if you try and anticipate filling the role as the "first responder" on the trail.

A good list of items has already been suggested. Can't think of anything to add. Just keep your kit compact, organized and accessible.

'Slogger

Frosty
03-05-2007, 11:48
Very true! Training and common sense are better first aid than any kit OTOH, if you have adequate common sense, you have a first aid kit with a few items in it. Trying to reduce pack weight by not carrying a band-aid or two does not fit under the definition of common sense. Before you hike every morning, shake the dust off your hat. You have just saved more than enough weight to carry a band-aid.

First aid kits are like maps. Why carry them when everyone else does? Need some Neosporin? Bum some at the shelter. You just saved 0.9 ounces.

soulrebel
03-05-2007, 12:39
superglue, one sterile gauze pad, couple painkillers, 2-anti-doodoo, 4 ibu, 2 benadryl, 2 xanax, 2 endurolyte (salt/electo cap), 2-250mg doxycycline (lyme dose), 2 pepto bismal. 2 foot of duct tape. sometimes a single neosporin packet or iodine swap.

other related items in the pack--small victorinix knife, bandana, lighter, needle/thread. 1-2oz iso alcohol liquid or gel.

p.s.-superglue was developed for emergency care in the field during the vietnam war.

Obsidian
03-05-2007, 16:34
I carry the already medicated bandaids. Though you should carry a little something for bug bites. if/when they are going to be a problem. :(

for bug bites my solution is always Dr. Bonners, dab a bit on the bite and it stops the itch

Spork
03-05-2007, 19:06
..., 2 xanax, ...

Does hiking generally give you panic attacks, or is this emergency sedation in the event you encounter loud snorers at shelters?:confused:

soulrebel
03-05-2007, 20:24
Does hiking generally give you panic attacks, or is this emergency sedation in the event you encounter loud snorers at shelters?:confused:

It's for others when I hike nekkid!!!

Mainly for sleep if I've had several sleepless nights. Don't sleep in shelters, but occassionally animals wake me up at night, particularly the coyotes or some snorting deer.

Spork
03-05-2007, 20:46
It's for others when I hike nekkid!!!

In that cast do you really think carrying 2 is enough?

Mainly for sleep if I've had several sleepless nights. Don't sleep in shelters, but occassionally animals wake me up at night, particularly the coyotes or some snorting deer.

Ya gotta admire a man who skips those weenie earplugs and goes directly to high power sedatives. Let those damn deer snort all night if they want!!:D

rswanson
03-07-2007, 18:36
AquaMira or simliar can be used as an emergency wound irrigant.

Myself, I can't seem to leave behind the elastic bandage. With the amount of tweaked knees and twisted ankles I see on my hikes, I consider it a necessity. If not for myself, then for hiking partners. Nothing worse than having to hike 5 miles with a partner who has a bum knee.

Dances with Mice
03-07-2007, 20:17
I substitute coach's tape, or whatever it's called, for duct tape. Athletic tape, maybe? Great stuff, sticks forever. A couple of bandaids. Polar Pur & Dr. B's for other reasons.

More ibuprofen than I think I'll ever need and a couple Tylenol PM's.

Oh, and bourbon in case of snakebite. Or whatever.

Spork
03-07-2007, 20:30
Oh, and bourbon in case of snakebite. Or whatever.

What about snorting deer? I personally have never snorted deer but apparently SoulRebel has and he reports that it causes him to hike nekkid and lose so much sleep he has to take Xanax, so it must be some pretty good sh**...

vaporjourney
03-10-2007, 17:03
Does anyone store Neosporin in a straw? I've seen that mentioned before, but can't figure out how to secure the ends so that it won't leak everywhere. Also seems like it'd be easy for the straw to crack. If only I could find those Neosporin packets...

Jack Tarlin
03-10-2007, 17:09
Geez, you can get a tube of the stuff that weighs around half an ounce, and the foil packets are even less. Any large drugstore should have them. Putting the stuff in a straw is like the guys telling us to put peanut butter in a ziplock.

I mean, after awhile, this gram weenie thing gets to be ridiculous. Carrying a one ounce tube of medical ointment is going to kill anyone.

Jack Tarlin
03-10-2007, 17:12
P.S. For individual packets of Neosporin (and all sorts of other stuff that comes in little-bitty packages, both first aid, food, condiments, etc.) try www.mimimus.biz

Jack Tarlin
03-10-2007, 17:13
Whoops. That's www.minimus.biz

Sly
03-10-2007, 17:54
$.75 for a little-bitty 1/32 oz pack of Neosporin. For $1 you can get a 1 oz tube at Dollar General.

I'm not a gram weanie, but I am frugal, and carry the latter.

vaporjourney
03-10-2007, 19:51
I was looking at the 1/32 pricing too, wayy too much. I'll stick with the 1/2 oz tubes, pry squeeze half out just to decrease size of what i have to pack. Oh well.

Gaiter
03-10-2007, 20:34
Myself, I can't seem to leave behind the elastic bandage. With the amount of tweaked knees and twisted ankles I see on my hikes, I consider it a necessity. If not for myself, then for hiking partners. Nothing worse than having to hike 5 miles with a partner who has a bum knee.

Also just having a simple bandana can double as a knee strap by tieing it tight just below (or above) the knee.

Sly
03-10-2007, 20:43
Let me look... duct tape, bandana, gold bond, hydrocortisone, triple anti-biotic, sun screen, lip balm, vitamin I, naproxen, vicodin, and flagyl.

Spork
03-10-2007, 20:58
Let me look... duct tape, bandana, gold bond, hydrocortisone, triple anti-biotic, sun screen, lip balm, vitamin I, naproxen, vicodin, and flagyl.

Vicodin? You and SoulRebel could have a real party some night...:D

Sly
03-10-2007, 21:04
Vicodin? You and SoulRebel could have a real party some night...:D

Leftovers. I carry them just in case.

Spork
03-10-2007, 21:11
I carry them just in case.

Sorta begs the next question...;)

MrHappy
03-11-2007, 11:36
I'm WFA trained and used to being the go-to medical guy in my hiking groups, so I tend to carry a bit more than I need.

10 Large size bandaids.
-Didn't carry these until last week when I had a huge blister. Another hiker loaned me a few and they were great so I picked up more in town.

5 Small bandaids
-Really, most things a small bandaid will cover are insignifcant and could be ignored.

Ducttape
Neosporin (Either a tube or foil packets, whatever I can find)
Loads of Ibuprofen
Some tylenol PM
Elastic Bandage
Mole Skin patch

In cold weather, a heavy-duty (12 hour) heatpacket (hand-warmer). Good to throw in a sleeping bag with someone who is hypothermic, or to use yourself on an especially cold night.

A bit of rum, for the doctor.

Anybody who is going to spend significant time in the wilderness should seriously consider Wilderness First Aid (WFA) training. It's only one weekend of your time. It's also pretty much essential if you want to get a job as a cabin maintainer or ranger or some other backwoods posting.

Bravo
03-11-2007, 14:49
Leftovers. I carry them just in case.

I always carry some leftover percs. Legal or not a good narcotic is a must have for very painful injuries.

Sly
03-11-2007, 15:12
I always carry some leftover percs. Legal or not a good narcotic is a must have for very painful injuries.

Exactly. I'll be on trails miles from nowhere without a soul in sight.

MrHappy
03-12-2007, 11:26
Based on another poll I just read on here, it would seem that a lot of hikers carry some medicinal marijuana for that purpose too.