PDA

View Full Version : buying a new rain jacket... advice?

RockStar
03-04-2007, 17:54
So I have an REI 2.5 ply (I didn't know their "ply" was defined by charmin) rain jacket. It was more expensive than the precip AND it was on sale. Looking at the weight and all the specs I decided to go with it and a pair of precip pants. BIG mistake. This POS is NOT waterproof(i realize nothing is waterPROOF but, still) in the LEAST and adds nothing as far as keeping me warm. Also the size was like a childs size and I am a girl, a short one with a big chest.

So I am looking for any advice on what to get...and please don't say frogg toggs as I have looked at them at a local store here and not interested. This is probably my most disappointing piece of gear and I spent a LOT more time researching it before buying it...

After reading another gear thread I am gonna go with a Buffalo teclite shirt instead of fleece so the weight of the jacket is no matter to me, as long as it is adequate protection from the wet cold! I can handle the summer rain with this pos...as I might as well get some use out of it. Thanks in advance for any advice. :(

mweinstone
03-04-2007, 18:52
patagonia shadow. its the law.

hopefulhiker
03-04-2007, 19:03
Frog Toggs!

Sly
03-04-2007, 19:24
If you're not happy with the REI gear take it back. Try a Red Ledge Thunderlight from Campmor. They're on sale.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=19446112&memberId=12500226

maxNcathy
03-04-2007, 19:44
Moonstone at REI. I bought 2 of them on sale.

dloome
03-04-2007, 20:11
GoLite Virga. It's great.

I used to use the North Face Hyvent DT which is also excellent, definitely a jacket I would trust.

RockStar
03-04-2007, 20:13
Everything else I own thats Patagonia I really like. And this Rain Shadow is looking like my speed. However, thanks for the replies and Im checking into all of these! I have to drive 4 hours to an REI so I will return it as soon as I get around that way. I forgot about that!

Hoku
03-05-2007, 13:14
Frogg Toggs!

vaporjourney
03-05-2007, 20:59
GoLite Virga. It's great.

Do you not mind the fact that the Virga doesn't have pit zips? I was looking at this as well, but find it hard to drop $80 to replace my Thunderlight, and it would only save me 3 oz as well...

I have to recommend the Red Ledge Thunderlight as well. The price is right, very comfortable and a good fit, just a tad heavy for some. If you don't care about weight though, its definitely the way to go.

Creaky
03-06-2007, 12:12
My Red Ledge has been falling apart since I started using it. Zips jam when they don't tear away from fabric. Not well made, well sewed. Won't buy another. Looking at a Precip.

NICKTHEGREEK
03-06-2007, 12:18
Moonstone at REI. I bought 2 of them on sale.
Snap them up before they are all gone! Great gear.