PDA

View Full Version : Daylight savings time and bus schedule.

mindi
03-04-2007, 23:38
I'm taking Greyhound to GA, and I have a layover on Sunday the 11th from 1:30am to 2:30am. It says '1 hour' under layover time. Makes sense, right? The problem is, daylight savings time starts at 2am. So if I set my watch ahead at 2am...I'll miss 2:30am.
I'm so confuzzled!

sliderule
03-04-2007, 23:53
So if I set my watch ahead at 2am...I'll miss 2:30am.
I'm so confuzzled!
Arrive at 1:30, depart one hour later ar 3:30. There is no 2:30am on that date.

But the real question is whether Greyhound will figure that out!!!

mindi
03-05-2007, 00:02
:eek: Yeah, that's what my concern is, sliderule..

mindi
03-06-2007, 11:59
ARGH!
I just called Greyhound. I explained the situation to the woman on the phone. She said 'The bus leaves at 2:30a.m.'
'Yes, but there is no 2:30a.m. on that day, because the clock jumps ahead from 2a.m. to 3a.m...so will I be leaving at 3:30a.m.?'
Operator: 'No, the bus will leave at 2:30a.m'
'There will be no 2:30a.m. on that day'
Operator: 'They already take all of that into account when they do the schedule.'
'No they don't, or it wouldn't say 2:30a.m.'
Operator: 'Please hold'.
<cue music>
Operator: 'We don't have Daylight Savings Time here, so I don't know. You'll have to call the station that you are going to be at.'

Now I've been getting a busy signal at that station for the past half hour.
GRRR!!!

Ewker
03-06-2007, 12:10
it has been yrs since I rode a bus but I seem to remember then announcing when a bus is schedule to leave. You will be there before the time change so just listen and ask the folks working

Bilko
03-06-2007, 12:22
Mindi, you do not want to be riding a Greyhound bus at 2:30AM on any morning.

I always wondered what happened to the one hour that we lose on DST. Now I know, it's lost at the Greyhound Bus Terminals. I can image the poor souls riding the bus at 2:30AM are put in suspended animation for an hour. Sounds like you have a story line developing, keep us posted on the missing hour. The busy signal at the station may be a big clue to the story.

mindi
03-06-2007, 12:27
I'm hoping that may be the case, that others have noticed it also and that's why it's busy, Bilko.

Granted, I'm probably fretting over nothing, as the bus will get there when it gets there and hopefully I'll get an announcement or something telling me that it's arrived...but it's just annoying. I'd just feel much better if my itinerary reflected the time change.

Oh well, back to the busy signal. I'll update later if I ever get through.

saimyoji
03-06-2007, 12:36
Mindi, you do not want to be riding a Greyhound bus at 2:30AM on any morning.

I always wondered what happened to the one hour that we lose on DST. Now I know, it's lost at the Greyhound Bus Terminals. I can image the poor souls riding the bus at 2:30AM are put in suspended animation for an hour. Sounds like you have a story line developing, keep us posted on the missing hour. The busy signal at the station may be a big clue to the story.

Stephen King already wrote that story. :eek:

lvleph
03-06-2007, 12:57
It is probably because Dailight Saving Time was changed this year and many of the schedules do not reflect this change. BTW it is Saving not Savings. Sorry just one of my pet peves.

Ewker
03-06-2007, 13:02
It is probably because Dailight Saving Time was changed this year and many of the schedules do not reflect this change. BTW it is Saving not Savings. Sorry just one of my pet peves.

I thought it was Daylight Saving Time :p ;)

lvleph
03-06-2007, 13:19
It is I miss typed.

digger51
03-06-2007, 13:37
Does miss typing as opposed to misstyping counteract your pet peeve? Thats a joke, I don't know how to use the smiley faces.
Mindi..the trail will wait for you to get out of suspended animation.

sourwood
03-06-2007, 14:18
Mindi,

I would not worry too much about the itinerary. I've found them to be rather "loose" things when dealing with Greyhound. I took a bus last summer from PA to Asheville, NC. While my ticket said I would be going to Baltimore, Richmond, Raleigh, and Asheville I really went to Baltimore, DC, Richmond, Raleigh, Charlotte, and Asheville. The bus arrived in Richmond in the wee hours of the morning but the station was teeming with people. The bus to Raleigh was late and when it arrived many of us standing in line were unable to board the bus because it was full. They finally brought in another bus to get the rest of us to Raleigh. So, just cause you have a ticket, doesn't mean you have a seat. Find the right line as soon as you get off of one bus and plunk yourself down. There's really nothing quite like sitting on your pack in a crowded bus station at 2 in the morning! The amazing thing is that I arrived in Asheville within about 30 minutes of the originally stated time.

Enjoy your trip. It's an experience I think everyone should have at least once.

Julie

mindi
03-06-2007, 15:16
You're both wrong. It's mistyping.
:D

mindi
03-06-2007, 15:31
3 1/2 hours later..and it's still busy! I wonder if they only have one phone line in the whole station, or if it's Greyhound standard procedure to give crazy people who are concerned about timewarps a nonworking number.

digger51
03-06-2007, 16:07
Mindi..have you tried greyhound dot com?

sliderule
03-06-2007, 16:12
It's mistyping.
:D
Miss Typing sounds like a good trail name!!!

mindi
03-06-2007, 19:21
Yeah, digger. There's not any information on there about DST and the email form is to file complaints after traveling.

I gave up trying to call for today, it was still busy 5 hours later.

Sly
03-06-2007, 19:25
Just sit yourself at the gate. It's only two hours at most, but most likely one. Regardless, it's nothing to fret about now.

dperry
03-07-2007, 10:55
I can tell you what Amtrak does, which may or may not have any relevance. In the spring, the trains run 1 hour late. In the fall, they wait for one hour at the first convenient place after the time change to get back on schedule.

dperry
03-07-2007, 10:56
Also, if you're interested in how this all got started, you might want to check out this book:

http://www.seizethedaylight.com/index.html