PDA

View Full Version : Hike N' Light Alcohol Stove ?

slowroller
08-07-2003, 17:27
Anyone familar with the Hike N' Light Alcohol Stove ?
Hike N' Light Alcohol Stove (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=15973489&prmenbr=226) Or would the Pepsi can stove do just as well?
Also,How hard is it to find denatured alcohol on the AT?

Cedar Tree
08-07-2003, 17:47
I own a hike-n-light stove and love it. On my 2000 hike, Nicheless and I met at the Hiker Paradise in Gorham. It was my first look at a pressurized alcohol stove. You cannot beat the weight and performance for the price. A pepsi can stove will heat about as well, but you have to provide a pot stand in most cases. The hike-n-light has a built in pot stand, but it is slightly unstable. I modified mine by drilling 3 holes in the top so the pot stand clips will fit down in these holes. Alcohol is easily available.

Lilred
08-07-2003, 18:00
Why pay $15.00 plus shipping for an alcohol stove when you can make a pepsi can stove for free?

http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/pepsistove.shtml

one difference, where the directions tell you to make two slits in the strip of can, don't. Just wrap it around and fit it in.

I've got two, and the weight is negligible, about a half an ounce, for those ultralighters.

Plus, turn it upside down and put a little square of heavy gauge wire mesh on the bottom of the can and you can burn Esbit fuel tabs on it. Two stoves in one.

From what I hear, denatured alcohol is very common on the trail. You can also use HEET, a gasline antifreeze. denatured alcohol burns a little longer.

Lilred
08-07-2003, 18:06
Hey Slowroller,

I answered your post before I even saw who wrote it. LOL. Like I said, I've got two and am in the process of making a third, so if you want one, I'll bring an extra with me, or I can mail it to you if you want to email me your address.
Mary

slowroller
08-07-2003, 18:29
Thanks Lilred.

I had been planning on making the pepsi can stove, I havent started yet though. If mine dont work I may take you up on that LOL.....I had ran across the Hike N' light stove and was wondering if anyone had tried it.....sounds like it may work pretty well. I also have been thinking about trying out the "esbit stove".
To tell ya the truth I think I have became a "gearhead".

Slowroller..............

slowroller
08-07-2003, 18:32
Thanks, Cedar Tree

I appreciate the info......

Lilred
08-07-2003, 18:34
slowroller,
I bought an Esbit stove as well. I didn't like it as well as the pepsi can stove. After 11 minutes of burn time, it still hadn't brought two cups of water to a boil. My pepsi can stove brought two cups to a boil in about 5 minutes..... I'm leaving the Esbit stove at home, but will bring a few fuel tabs just for emergency.

Joel Rash
08-07-2003, 22:18
I bought one in 2001 and did 400 miles on the AT with it. The stove performed well, though it's not terribly stable and it takes a while to figure out just how much alcohol to start with. I did set a picnic table on fire the first time I tried it, but that was due to operator error. I've since switched over to a can stove, which is quicker to get set and a bit easier to manipulate - especially when your fingers are frozen.

Pedestrian
08-08-2003, 08:16
Slowroller,

I tested this stove through backpackgeartest.org. Most testers found this stove to be troublesome. The problems I have with the stove are many:

1: It sucks down fuel. Compared to some of the better soda can stoves it will go through about 1 ½ times the fuel. That really adds up in weight over a week on the trial.

2: The pot stand is not just flimsy it’s dangerous. During our testing of the stove we had many dumped meals. Once, it dumped so as to spray burning fuel over a 4’ area. My friends dubbed it the hike n’ die.

3: The flame pattern is too big for all but the biggest pots. The flames spilling over the sides made it difficult to check your meal without burning yourself.

4: After repeated use the lid becomes difficult to take off. What good is a stove that you can’t put fuel in.

The only good thing I can say is if you use it for a large group and make a better pot stand it will work.

Making a pepsi can stove is not that hard. There are a lot of very good designs on the internet but if you feel you need to get one from someone else email me and I’ll send you one.

Happy Trails

poison_ivy
08-08-2003, 08:57
I have a hike n light stove. I use it on most of my backpacking trips and haven't had any difficulties with it. Although I made a pepsi can stove, I cannot figure out how to make a potstand for it, so I can't use it on the trail. I wanted to go to alcohol , so I picked up one of these stoves a while ago.

I'll agree it isn't the perfect stove -- it shoots flames sort of high up and has burned the rubber off of titanium pot handles. I just use a bandana or sock to pick up the pot so it hasn't been a problem. I've never had a problem with it tipping over or spilling.

If you don't want to build your own stove, this is a nice way to switch to alcohol.

-- Ivy

jlb2012
08-08-2003, 10:11
SGT Rock's Ion stove or Turbo V8 stove both have a built in pot stand. If you prefer some other type of pot stand StoveStomper's combined windscreen/pot stand is a good choice.

Lilred
08-08-2003, 11:49
An easy pot stand for the pepsi can stove is three tent stakes. If you're not carrying tent stakes, then just find a couple of rocks to put on either side of the stove and set your pot on the rocks.

poison_ivy
08-08-2003, 17:04
I've tried the tent stakes idea, but have found that the pot often slides off and is unstable. (Perhaps I'm not situating them right?)

I never thought of trying rocks though... I'll definitely give that a try on my next trip. Thanks for the tip!

- Ivy

kank
08-09-2003, 13:00
I just don't think the Hike n' Light is a very good stove for most uses. There are people that will make and ship a pepsi can stove for less than $15 and I think you get much better performance and perhaps even longevity from the soda can (or variations thereof). The fuel consumption is a big concern unless you are just doing overnighters. If you do any week-long trips or more, your Hike n' Light will waste far too much fuel. Over such a long trip, this waste will negate any weight advantage of an alcohol stove. You might as well bring a whisperlite. The heat that is escaping around the sides of the pot and burning the rubber from the handle is not just an odd trait of the stove, it is ruins any advantage you are seeking by using an alcohol stove. The Hike n' Light was designed by a thru-hiker, but I think it is a very poor choice for such use. For large pots and large groups, the Hike n' Light may work well, since it has a high fuel capacity and therefore a long potential burn time, but you'll need a stronger pot support as Pedestrian suggested. Otherwise, I would choose a pepsi can stove even if it were $15 and the Hike n' Light were free.

As always, just MHO.

tlbj6142
08-10-2003, 19:17
If you want to buy a stove, check out AntiGravityGear's (http://www.antigravitygear.com/products/stove.html). The current model doesn't require the tent stakes. The pot sits right on top of the stove.

Rambler
08-10-2003, 23:35
The original idea for a stand works best for me. Take the mesh wire, make it into a circle to fit the bottom of your pot. Make it just high enough for your stove flames. For a wind shield, wrap the circlular stand with double thickness of aluminum foil. Punch some air holes along the bottom and maybe a few around the top if your stove is not getting enough air. Your pot should be more stable when it is weighted down with water. For a back up stand insert the wire into the stove itself. Stomper's stand is a great design, but I do not like having to take it apart to fit into the pot when I store it after use. I prefer not to use stoves that need priming, and I find esbit tablets are not easy to light. The smaller versions of the stove (ion) uses even less than on ounce of fuel to get water boiling. I also found that it is really not necessary to get water to a boil. Put a wrap around the pot when it is off the stove and the food will keep cooking, too. After all, when we add boiling water, what does one have to do before eating? The water has to cool down. Of course, I am a guy that does not like hot coffee. I add milk to cool it down. That is why I do not think water always has to get to a boil. Another thing I like about pepsi stoves: it is easy to estimate how much fuel you are going to need -- 1 oz. per boil or hot meal. No need to carry a lot of extra fuel. For long trips, I must admit to liking the ease of using a gas stove with a self-lighter!

fwassner
09-01-2003, 09:41
While on the subject of alcohol stoves, I might ask what is the best to buy?
I want light weight, ease of use, and good availability of fuel.

I'm now using an MSR that runs on some propane-butane mixture I think. It's a bit of a fuss to use, as the hose never wants to twist in the right direction to allow the stove to sit properly when attached to the gas.
It's also a bit heavier than I would like.

I'de really like a one-piece stove (no hoses) with a decent pot stand.

I do not enjoy building my own gear, so don't think I'm interested in the "pepsi can" stove.

Lilred
09-01-2003, 17:23
you don't have to make your own pepsi can stove. The tin man has his own website. You can order the stove, pot stand, cozy and pot all fitting into one nice package. VERY LOW weight. Here's the website:

http://antigravitygear.com/products/stove.html

He made me a stove and it works great!! It is best to use with a windscreen. It is the simplest stove to use. And if you want, turn it upside down, glue a piece of wire mesh to the bottom, and you can burn Esbit fuel with it as well. Two, Two, Two stoves in one.

fwassner
09-01-2003, 20:05
My concern with such a small stove as the pepsi can is that a pot placed on top will slide off easily. Also that the stove with pot will become unstable. It is very difficult finding flat surfaces when cooking on the trail.
I don't like the tent stake idea, because most of the time when I use them for staking my tent, I hit rocks! Can't expect them to support a pot of boiling water if they're dug in only an inch or two due to rocks.

Rocks as a pot stand? Not sure about that either. Sometimes difficult to find suitable rocks.

Maybe sticking with my MSR and the propane mixture isn't so bad.
But then I am trying to cut the weight of my pack.

stickman
09-01-2003, 20:59
I don't ahve expreience with alky stoves yet. Can anyone tell me about the advantages and disadvantages of the Trangia compared to the ones mentioned here (the pepsi can and the Hike and Light)? Thanks!

Peaks
09-02-2003, 10:18
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fwassner
[B]My concern with such a small stove as the pepsi can is that a pot placed on top will slide off easily. Also that the stove with pot will become unstable. It is very difficult finding flat surfaces when cooking on the trail.
I don't like the tent stake idea, because most of the time when I use them for staking my tent, I hit rocks! Can't expect them to support a pot of boiling water if they're dug in only an inch or two due to rocks.

Rocks as a pot stand? Not sure about that either. Sometimes difficult to find suitable rocks.

If you are using a Pepsi Can stove, then you need something to support your pot. Don't put it directly on the Pepsi Can.

Now, the rocks, and tent stakes do work. I have seen them used along the trail. Don't knock them until you try them. Another solution is to make a small stand from harware cloth. Cut a piece 5 squares high by 20 squares long and roll it into a cylinder. Or some put tabs inside their wind screen. Look at the plans posted elsewhere on the web.

fwassner
09-02-2003, 19:17
I'de rather just buy the thing ready to go. No fuss, no bother.
Perhaps I'm not your true "thru-hiker" type. I know lots of guys like to tweak their gear. That's just not me.
That's why there are stores like Campmor that sell just about anything :)

fwassner
09-02-2003, 19:17
I'de rather just buy the thing ready to go. No fuss, no bother.
Perhaps I'm not your true "thru-hiker" type. I know lots of guys like to tweak their gear. That's just not me.
That's why there are stores like Campmor that sell just about anything :)

fwassner
09-02-2003, 19:19
Sorry about the double-post. I accidentally hit the submit button twice. Don't seem to have privileges to delete my dupe post.

Mike Drinkuth
09-03-2003, 14:23
Sgt Rock's Turbo V8 stove is an awesome design. I bought an MSR whisperlite and it should be called the MSR loud&heavy, this stove sux! Then I started making alcohol stoves via designs on the web. Not only are alcohol stoves infinately lighter and easier to use, they're tons of fun to make too! My technique has gotten 200% better since my first and now I have 4 little stoves sitting around my house. I think my friends think i'm making pipe bombs though. KIDDING...I'M TOTALLY KIDDING. I'M MAKING STOVES ONLY!! (god bless the usa!)

Lilred
09-03-2003, 18:37
I've got three stoves and enough cans for a dozen more. They are fun to make. Two fit nicely in my pot so I'll have an extra, just in case. When I tell my friends they are alcohol stoves, they think I'm making moonshine..... LOL

SGT Rock
09-04-2003, 08:45
Build 'em. It is so much more satisfying than buying something. Imagine depending for all your meals on something you made with your own hands for the next six months. What else in your pack that you can make is going to be used so much?

Mr. Clean
09-04-2003, 09:21
Yes, don't place pot on the stove unless you want a real mess. Sgt. Rocks design (thanks, Sarge) using hardware cloth is great. Used it for the first time last weekend. Cut the wire, roll it up to fit inside the stove, and bend the prongs out to make a wider surface. You could also cut the wire to suround the stove if it makes you feel safer. My stove and all fits right inside my pot to keep it safe.

IdahoDavid
09-04-2003, 18:50
If you're not that handy working with tools and metal you might want to consider the Altoids Stove at this site: http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html
It is nearly as efficient as commercially made products and a lot easier to make than the Pepsi can type. It's essentially just a small handful of fiberglass insulation in a tin of some sort with a piece of aluminum screen cut slightlu lsrger than the opening. Heats water well and with a top on the tin you can snuff the fire and seal it if you haven't used all the fuel. (Don't try to pack the stove with fuel in it however.)

poison_ivy
09-04-2003, 20:39
As a result of this thread, I ordered a pepsi stove from antigravity gear. com -- and I have to say that I am absolutely thrilled with it. I gave it two test runs today and it boiled water in less than five minutes both times. The design is exactly what I was trying unsuccessfully to do at home with my pepsi stoves.

So I've officially abandoned my hike n light... and managed to shave to bring my stove and windscreen weight down to 1.2 oz.

thanks for the advice!

- Ivy

slowroller
09-04-2003, 21:38
when I started this thread I was leaning more towards the hike n light. But like poison_ivy I have decided to go with the tin man's stove,

Atleast untill I can get mine perfected....which I dought will ever happen....lol

Doctari
12-13-2003, 11:33
The pot stand I use for my "pepsi can stove" is: 1 aluminum cat food can, cut to 1/2 as high, 1 piece of "rabbit wire" (1/4" hole hardware cloth) cut to fit inside the cat food can, & high enough to keep your pot off the flames. In over 30+ meals with this set up I have never lost a pot, or even came close.

Added weight is about 1/4 Oz or so. And if for whatever reason your stove gets "Misshapen" the cat food can doubles as a back up stove, if a bit less efficiant.

Doctari.

Dances with Mice
12-13-2003, 14:21
I don't ahve expreience with alky stoves yet. Can anyone tell me about the advantages and disadvantages of the Trangia compared to the ones mentioned here (the pepsi can and the Hike and Light)? Thanks!

I have several Trangias, various pepsi style stoves, cat stoves, and I'm familiar with the H&L.

The Trangia burner is all brass and thus heavier than the aluminum pepsi & H&L.
The Trangia could be considered more rugged, but I've never had an aluminum stove fail. A Trangia would survive a stomping better than the others, I guess, but I'm in the habit of not stomping on my stoves.

The Trangia burner can be bought alone but is most commonly sold as a set of burner & pot stand, or burner, pot stand, and pot, or burner, pot stand / windbreak and a set of pots and pans. The others are just burners. The Trangia sets are all very well designed and stable. Stability varies with the homemade burners.

A big difference is that the Trangia has a resealable top. Fuel can be stored in the burner of the Trangia. For a weekend hike you can take just the Trangia burner filled with fuel. None of the others can be used to store fuel.

The Trangia burner has a very controllable simmer attachment. You can set the simmer heat precisely where you want it with a Trangia. That can also be done with a pepsi stove but not as easily and can't be done at all with a H&L. That makes the Trangia more versatile, IMHO. That's not important to all hikers.

The simmer attachment is also a snuffer - it puts out the Trangia. The others go out when they run out of fuel.

Some believe that this combination of snuffer & resealable lid allows unused fuel to be stored in the Trangia. I've never had unused fuel in my Trangia burner after use, it either is burnt or evaporates from the burner while it cools.

All these stoves need to warm up before they operate at full efficiency. Since the Trangia has more mass, it takes a little longer to reach full power. But just a couple minutes longer, not real long.

And why does nobody ever mention the cat stove? I like it far better than the pepsi stove or ion, it's easier to make, easier to use, and I believe it's more efficient.

squirrel bait
12-13-2003, 17:14
Lil Red MG's pepsi can stoves are Hurricane Isabel tested. :clap
Rating: A+

Rain Man
12-13-2003, 17:25
As a result of this thread, I ordered a pepsi stove from antigravity gear. com -- and I have to say that I am absolutely thrilled with it. I gave it two test runs today and it boiled water in less than five minutes both times. The design is exactly what I was trying unsuccessfully to do at home with my pepsi stoves.

Same here!!! Love it. Simple and LIGHT.

Rain Man

Lilred
12-13-2003, 19:22
Lil Red MG's pepsi can stoves are Hurricane Isabel tested. :clap
Rating: A+

Thanks for the glowing review Squirrel. Glad it held up for you. I was very satisfied with the performance of my stove on my recent section hike. And thanks to Rain Man for the pot stand.

RagingHampster
12-13-2003, 20:52
I have a Trangia, Pepsi Stove, Whisperlite Int'l, and Pocket Rocket. Throw in a coleman propane burner too.

In the Spring/Summer/Fall I use the Pepsi Stove. In the Winter I use the Pocket Rocket. When hiking with multiple people in any season I usually bring the Whisperlite, as we tend to make giant dinners, and it's more efficient at melting snow. The Trangia is certainly the Lineman when it comes to alcohol stoves though, and If told I could only bring one stove somewhere and that I would absolutely need it, the Trangia would be my choice. But on the AT you can go to walmart, get a couple cans of soda and some JB Weld (or Exhaust Tape), and have yourself another stove. My coleman stove is my right-hand when cooking away from home (at work, or at trail heads, etc). With propane canisters being about $1.50ea, and each one lasting many meals, it's the way to go. Don't think about bringing it on the trail though, it weighs about five pounds all together!

I recently gave the pocket-rocket another try with it's "factory mini windscreen", and learned it's ins and outs. It's a great stove for the winter when you need to melt snow, but the Pepsi stove is my choice for 3-Season weather on the AT.

chowhound
12-14-2003, 16:37
[QUOTE=Dances with Mice].

Some believe that this combination of snuffer & resealable lid allows unused fuel to be stored in the Trangia. I've never had unused fuel in my Trangia burner after use, it either is burnt or evaporates from the burner while it cools.
QUOTE]

I almost always have unused fuel left in my Trangia. When I'm done boiling my water or cooking I snuff the flame, wait a few minutes for the burner to cool, then put on the cap. I use a model 27 with a 1l pot and while it is a little heavy, I am thrilled to have it when the wind is blowing and the rain is coming down. Its stability and wind screen can't be beat. The stability and enclosed flame also make the best choice when cooking inside a tent or under a low slung tarp.

RagingHampster
12-14-2003, 17:19
I'd also like to add that I almost always have unburned fuel left in my Trangia, and follow the same steps mentioned above (waiting for the stove to cool so not to burn the o-ring in the cap, and then sealing it up).

As far as stability goes, alcohol stoves are some of the most volatile stoves to use. Just tip one over to see what I mean. Sealed canister stoves are the most stable and safe for obvious reasons. Iso-Butane canisters even work well in cold conditions, although I put mine in my jacket to warm it up first.

But during 3-Season use my Pepsi stove pulls almost full-time duty on the trail.

Dances with Mice
12-14-2003, 18:24
[QUOTE=chowhound][QUOTE=Dances with Mice].

QUOTE]

I almost always have unused fuel left in my Trangia. --snip-- QUOTE]

I've been waiting for someone to call me on that! Because I contradicted myself in that message - I wrote that for a weekend trip someone may store all their fuel in their burner, then wrote that I seldom had unused fuel after cooking.
Unless I only cook one meal per weekend, that doesn't make sense, does it?

I saw my goof after it was posted. When I start with a full container I can get two or three uses out of it, being careful to cap quickly after snuffing just like you described. But usually I carry fuel in a bottle & pour it into the burner before use. When I pour a meal's worth into the burner I seldom have any remaining, even if I snuff out the flame. Which -duh- just means I've gotten pretty good at guessing how much fuel I need. But, no excuse, what I wrote was wrong and I wondered if anyone was going to catch it.

So advantage goes to the Trangia for snuffability & being able to save fuel. Even if one of the home-made stoves could be snuffed, pouring fuel from the stove back into a fuel bottle is difficult.

I copied, kind of, the 27's pot support/windshield/heat exchanger but made it much lighter and packable using aluminum flashing. Someday, when I get around tuit, I'll post picures and a diagram for anyone else that likes to tinker with homemade stoves.

Crash
12-15-2003, 00:03
If you're not that handy working with tools and metal you might want to consider the Altoids Stove at this site: http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html
It is nearly as efficient as commercially made products and a lot easier to make than the Pepsi can type. It's essentially just a small handful of fiberglass insulation in a tin of some sort with a piece of aluminum screen cut slightlu lsrger than the opening. Heats water well and with a top on the tin you can snuff the fire and seal it if you haven't used all the fuel. (Don't try to pack the stove with fuel in it however.)

but which is better the Pepsi or Altoids? and why

MadAussieInLondon
12-15-2003, 04:28
you couldnt tempt me away from my brasslite with an altoids tin or any other soda can :D

highway
12-15-2003, 09:07
If I fill my Trangia to .25" from the rim, it holds 4 weight ounces of denatured and is enough to last me at least 2 1/2 days before needing refilling for spring & summer use. I use it twice/day-once in the morning for breakfast & strong coffee and another meal in the evening, usually simmering with it for 15 minutes or so after achieving a near-boil. The capability of the Trangia to store the alcohol and have it immediately available for lighting after the cap is unscrewed is one of its advantages. Another is how little alcohol it consumes during simmer. I only need to refill mine every 2-3 days. :jump

IdahoDavid
12-15-2003, 16:21
but which is better the Pepsi or Altoids? and why

I like the pepsi stove. The Altoids is easy to make, but the Pepsi stove uses the fuel more efficiently and I believe produces better heat.

RagingHampster
12-20-2003, 17:15
For those looking to get a Trangia, here is an awesome deal for the Westwind Trangia Stove Kit for less than $20.

http://www.moosineer.com/moosedetail.asp?ID=4605

This is where I purchased mine awhile back.