PDA

View Full Version : so seriously.......

jettjames
03-05-2007, 18:24
how do you post to trailjournals from the trail. since guthook and his trail journals were brought up in another thread, i will use his as an example.

do you post whenever you are able to get comp access? and just back date your entries.

or do you have some way to post from the trail the day you say you are writing?

example in one entry he is hiking and at a shelter and then in another he is at cloud 9.

now, using ALLLLLL the brain i got, i;m guessing you just back date posts using your own written journal or memory when you get to a comp.
unless ya'll got some super secret way of posting from a hidden tree computer behind the shelter..................

btw, i'm really not this clueless. just have a fried brain from getting ready to leave in under 10 days and finishing up 3 shoots.

pt

Baum Trigger
03-05-2007, 18:27
I think they wear magical jean shorts that send their thoughts directly to the database. You should think about getting a pair. They're uber sexy!

bigcranky
03-05-2007, 19:13
The ATC has installed a wireless access point in every shelter. Just carry your laptop (or a handheld PC) and you can update your journal from the trail every night. You should be able to recharge your batteries, too, but that depends on how many people are using the shelter. (It might be wise to carry a spare battery.)

OK, I'm joking. I think.

Some people carry a small handheld PC or a Pocketmail device. They write their journals directly into the machine, and upload in town. Others write -- using a pen and paper <gasp> -- and mail their journal entries home, where someone else transcribes the entries and uploads them to TJ. Others keep their entries in actual bound journals, and don't see any reason to post their daily thoughts to the world. ("Friday, March 2. 13.2 miles. Tired.")

Happy trails.

galaleemc
03-05-2007, 19:28
JJ

I cannot answer your trail journals questions.
Guthook was updating his TJ on my computer -here at my house while he was baking apple pie.
I had just before uploaded the photos and resized them and told him to upload them right then and there to his TJ. This was done within minutes.
We have wireless here. I bring my computer to Cloud9 for hikers to use, or they come up to my house to do the same. Lots of places have computers for hikers, libraries are in towns etc.

Lilred
03-05-2007, 19:48
There are lots of places, at least in the South, that you can get computer access. Hostels and libraries. I updated my journal when I could from the trail and just retyped what I had daily handwritten. If I were thru-hiking, I think I'd just mail home my journal and have someone transcribe it for me.

RockStar
03-05-2007, 20:59
I just put entries in that a friend was suppose to do last MARCH. You can backdate them. It is popular to get a transcriber as mentioned above. I think some ppl advertise their services on trailjournals in the forums. Also I hear you can use a cell phone to send your pocketmail now? That would be easier than tying up landlines. However, I am considering getting some of those magic shorts ...ebay maybe?

Baum Trigger
03-05-2007, 22:16
However, I am considering getting some of those magic shorts ...ebay maybe?

No, unfortunately one cannot come by the magical jean shorts so easily. I hand craft them in my basement from the beards of Appalachian gnomes. I can produce several pairs a day for a modest fee, made to order of course!

hopefulhiker
03-05-2007, 22:24
Pocketmail

Baum Trigger
03-05-2007, 22:26
Pocketmail

Blasphemer!

Hoku
03-05-2007, 22:30
same way im reading this... t-mobile dash

RockStar
03-05-2007, 22:48
That reminds me of a South Park episode when they had Cheech helping them scam ppl, they used his beard to make "genuine Indian hair" feminine products for their Natural Remedies Store. Lol You had to have seen it to get the full effect.

moxie
03-05-2007, 23:48
Every night I made my journal entries, some long, some brief but I wrote something almost every night by headlamp. When I got to a post office I mailed them to my wife who would transcribe them. She then e-mailed them to "Mother Nature" a buddy in Georgia and she posted them on the net, The problem was that without my permission, a local radio station in Augusta, Maine was reading a new page from my journal every morning at about 7am and the local newspaper started following my hike. By the time I got to Vermont other hikers were listening to "The Moxie Report" on 92.3 every morning. I was a minor celebraty in central Maine but I didn't ask for it. When I called the radio station from Pennysalvania to complain they put my call on the air. They told me that once I posted my journal on the internet it was public domain and anyone could use it. An AT thru hike is an intresting story and thinking about it after the fact it was fun to share it. The real problem with sharing your hike with the world is if I had ever wanted to quit I never would have lived it down.:cool:

jettjames
03-06-2007, 00:51
thanks everyone. i figured it was back dating and posting when you can. my brain is fried. just had to run out for a new pack, pick out a water filter, look at trail runners, gasp at 3.00 bandanas at REI, decided my headlamp isn't good enough so get another, decide weather to get an underquilt or a peapod etc, etc, etc.

pt