PDA

View Full Version : Climashield HL

mudhead
03-05-2007, 20:12
Got a new Bean's flyer. The Katahdin sleeping bags that had Polarguard are now filled with Climashield HL. Is this a knockoff of one of the Polarguards? Some new latest and greatest? Any techno types know? I can't seem to find any info online that doesn't strike me as "marketing blather."

saimyoji
03-05-2007, 20:50
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/3230/index.html?skip_to_post=23752

Scroll down to the 5th post.

gardenville
03-05-2007, 22:18
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/3230/index.html?skip_to_post=23752

Scroll down to the 5th post.

You need to read all the thread. The comments in the 5th post are wrong and were cleared up in a later post.

saimyoji
03-05-2007, 22:31
They were? Looked to me like the jury was still out...though I confess to not being so bright with numbers and figures and stuff.

Does the fact that PG D has the best insulative properties for weight still hold true, even though it may not be "as better" as originally thought?

gardenville
03-05-2007, 23:26
They were? Looked to me like the jury was still out...though I confess to not being so bright with numbers and figures and stuff.

Does the fact that PG D has the best insulative properties for weight still hold true, even though it may not be "as better" as originally thought?
1. There are several very good synthetic insulations on the market.

PG D is still one of them. PrimaLoft One and Sport are two more. Climashield has 4 to pick from. XP - Combat - HL - Green. I don't know much about the others.

2. Several have better qualities for certain things than others do. Some are made in lighter weight versions per square yard and that makes them attractive for very light weight gear such as for layering garments or for sleeping bags that can use a second lighter bag to give you a lower temp rating.

3. I am into very light weight gear so I go for the best insulation in the lightest weights made. I have and make things out of PG D, PrimaLoft One and Climashield XP and Combat. I consider the ones I use to be the best available for the things I make with synthetic insulation.

4. The thread question about LL Bean changing to Climashield HL vs PG ?? insulation may have been for costs reasons. I would need to know which PG insulation was used to give you my option on how it might compare with Climashield HL.

mudhead
03-06-2007, 20:04
The old insulation was 3D.

I did the google thing before I started this thread, but had to bookmark that BPL discussion of clo etc. Read it twice and kind of get it. Way too much "nanothermicosmoticness" for me! Water is wet, ice floats, today was too cold.

Beans couldn't give me a fill weight yet, so comparing in my mind will wait. I have read that 3D is more durable than Delta, so perhaps this stuff will be somewhere in between.