PDA

View Full Version : Come all ye tarp and tarp tent lovers!

RockStar
03-05-2007, 20:48
So I use a tent. I use a tent b/c it just seems like the best possible way to stay toasty warm and have lots of privacy, as I always change into my b-day suit before changing into sleep clothes. However, I have back problems. I tried to do a Thru and it ended with Physcial Therapy after reaching Bly Gap. So Instead of being your usual woman and sticking with my Cutesy comfortable tent...I am considering the Tarp thingy. Now my MAIN concern is being wet and cold. All I picture when I think of sleeping under a tarp in winter is cold rain soaking my bag somehow and splashing me while I try to sleep. And in summer I picture slithery and legged creatures coming in and checking things out...not my idea of GOOD COMPANY!

So if you would just gimme an idea of the "myths" and "truths"...Thanks in advance for all the feedback. I really appreciate you guys and gals for all your advice! You have helped a lot of people such as myself with the learning curve! :sun

hopefulhiker
03-05-2007, 20:58
I had always used a double wall tent before I tried the tarp tent. One thing is that a lot of times it will be warm at night during a thru.. It is good to have the ventilation. Also you can get a good bit of privacy with a tarp tent.. Just choose a site location away from the crowd. Also the beaks go just about to the ground.. One down side is the condensation thing. I found that if you just sleep a little cooler it will minimize the condensation. I haven't gone to just the tarp because I like the full bug protection of the tarp tent..

bigcranky
03-05-2007, 21:21
OK. "Tarptent" is a brand name of shelters made by Henry Shires out on the West Coast. These shelters are effectively a shaped tarp with a floor and bug netting. You still get nice breezes and good views out the doors/sides of the Tarptent, but you also get great weather and bug protection. You just need to be more careful about where you pitch them, to avoid flooding. Overall you'll get basically the same protection (and privacy) as a traditional 'tent' at less than half the weight.

www.tarptent.com

You could also use a flat or shaped Tarp that you buy or make yourself. Tarps made from silicone nylon are popular because they are lightweight. A flat tarp of about 8x10 feet is a great starter tarp -- you can easily pitch it in the traditional A-Frame using hiking poles or trees, and it provides a large covered area for one or two hikers. You could have the whole tarp with lines and stakes for around 16-20 ounces (less if you throw more $$$ at it).

Using a tarp makes your hiking poles a multi-use item (always a nice thing for UL hikers). A well-sited, carefully pitched tarp will provide plenty of protection against the weather -- rain, snow, flying lizards -- if you have experience using it. Using a tarp successfully requires a fair amount of practice and experience, though.

Bugs can be an issue. There are several ways to deal with them -- head nets, breathable bivy sacks (my choice (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/6/6/bivy0345.jpg)), etc. Again, this takes some experimentation, and you probably don't want to use a flat tarp in, say, Alaska in summer.

As for privacy, you can certainly pitch a tarp in such a way as to have some privacy. But if you insist on camping with large groups of strangers and then getting naked, there might be some other issues involved....:D

I like my tarp/bivy combo for solo use (23 oz with stakes, lines, and groundsheet), and my Tarptent Rainshadow (38 oz for a HUGE 3-person shelter) for family use. Hope this helps.

lvleph
03-05-2007, 21:43
If your back is not doing too well you might want to try out a hammock. See if someone will let you borrow one.

Jim Adams
03-05-2007, 22:10
If pitched correctly, a tarp will let you STAND to change clothing and get dressed. If pitched correctly, it will give you more floor space per ounce than any tent. It can be made to stay cool in summer and warm in winter. It is usually cheaper to purchase. It will give you as much privacy as a tent if set up correctly. Do you see the common word here? A tarp is possibly the best shelter that you can use under many circumstances however, they are useless unless you know ahead of time what you are doing. If you choose a tarp, I feel sure that you will like it as long as you practice setting it up BEFORE your trip.
Never had a problem with crawly's and insects can be handled with DEET or netting.
Give it a try....but practice first.

geek

RockStar
03-05-2007, 22:27
Wow...I really like the bivy/tarp Idea...lots of room...no crawlies... And I like the Tarp tent for privacy, I am a lady and well...its nice to air out aminute or 30! :D BUT I already don't like the condensation from my tent, though it is minimal...I can see where it COULD be a problem...most of my condensation is on my vestibule and I don't have to deal with it. Hrm lots to think about.

Abount the Hammock...I am really interested in it but, like you said I really don't wanna BITE that much off without knowing it wont leave a bitter taste in my mouth financially. It sure does look comfy and light. Again...lots to think about!

THANKS ALL!

gearhound
03-05-2007, 23:15
You can make a DIY hammock for about 20 bucks. I made my first one out of some heavy DWR ripstop nylon my girlfriend had, and it only cost me about 5. Its not a bad way to see if you can sleep in one. Check out
http://www.tothewoods.net, for instructions on how to make a hammock.

RockStar
03-05-2007, 23:26
Thanks...*off to read about it

Franco
03-06-2007, 08:01
Big Cranky was doing so well till he started the "you can also get...."
Never mind the tree dwellers and sail fans, the easiest way to get a comfortable, quick and dry set up, (should I mention privacy....) is to be the proud owner of the TT Rainbow.
At the same time if you enjoy a challenge at the end of your day, get a tarp.
Franco

rafe
03-06-2007, 08:09
There are quite a few decent double-walled solo tents that offer complete protection and weigh around 3 lbs. Eureka Spitfire and Sierra Designs Lightyear being just two examples. For a bit more dough you can shave a pound or so by going to the TarpTent Rainbow (my current choice) which has a lot more room than the typical 3 lb. solo tents.

lvleph
03-06-2007, 08:20
If you are going to do the hammock thing, make sure you come by www.hammockforums.net

RockStar
03-06-2007, 08:59
My tent is the Kelty Stick 1, VERY roomy, easy to put up, and under 3 lbs. I have looked at the rainbow...nice! Thanks guys/gals.

Buckles
03-06-2007, 11:50
I have two Henry Shires Tarptents; a Double Rainbow and a Squall2. Both with sewn-in floors and bug netting. The DR has an optional clip-in liner that adds a second ceiling for extreme rain (misting) or as a thermal barrier. I've got room for me and gear. Plenty of room to sit up and change. Two can sit in the DR and play cards.

http://www.tarptent.com/doublerainbow.html

peanuts
03-06-2007, 13:45
rockstar, look into the eagles nests hammocks, the hammock it self cost $50 for the single(49.95) or $60 for te dlb hammock(59.95). you can make your ouwn bug netting and get a sil nylon tarp (8x10) for aroung $75/80 dollars. i have been using mine for almost 4yrs.... my back thanked me!!

lvleph
03-06-2007, 13:49
The travel hammock is $22. (http://www.thetravelhammock.com/ultralight.htm)

RockStar
03-06-2007, 13:50
Thanks guys! Im checking into these!

vaporjourney
03-06-2007, 13:57
I also recommend TarpTents, specifically the Rainbow. I've had mine for over half a year now, and have been nearly completely happy with it. They do seem to take a bit more space on the ground than what I was used to (Eureka Spitfire), but after you get it set up, it's golden. Tons of headroom, fairly easy setup (after one modification, thanks Franco!). I'm now looking at the TarpTent Contrail to save weight over the Rainbow (over 33 oz with stakes and seam sealing). Still a great tent to save some weight.

hammock engineer
03-06-2007, 14:25
If you have any sewing skills, I started with none, you can make hammocks pretty easy. Check out www.imrisk.com (http://www.imrisk.com) . He has something linked there giving directions on making a cheap one. I made test ones out of $4 worth of walmart cotton. Throw on a couple straps rated to $700+ lbs of strength and you are good to go.

In terms of your original question, I can usually change standing up under my hammock tarp. Usually there is no one around. If so I can put something over the parts I don't want to show.

dla
03-06-2007, 14:41
So I use a tent. I use a tent b/c it just seems like the best possible way to stay toasty warm and have lots of privacy, as I always change into my b-day suit before changing into sleep clothes. However, I have back problems. I tried to do a Thru and it ended with Physcial Therapy after reaching Bly Gap. So Instead of being your usual woman and sticking with my Cutesy comfortable tent...I am considering the Tarp thingy. Now my MAIN concern is being wet and cold. All I picture when I think of sleeping under a tarp in winter is cold rain soaking my bag somehow and splashing me while I try to sleep. And in summer I picture slithery and legged creatures coming in and checking things out...not my idea of GOOD COMPANY!

So if you would just gimme an idea of the "myths" and "truths"...Thanks in advance for all the feedback. I really appreciate you guys and gals for all your advice! You have helped a lot of people such as myself with the learning curve! :sun

I bought a Golite Lair 2 on sale for $77. I've used it once this winter, one night of rain and wind. I stayed dry. I didn't have it pitched quite perfect relative to the wind, but it worked fine. No flying insects this time of year and the slugs never found me. I use a space blanket for a ground cloth under my pad.

I'm bothered more by no-see-ums and Democrats - I mean mosquitoes, than crawlys, so I'm either going to buy an A16 Bug bivy or figure out a way to hang some netting for this summer.

RockStar
03-06-2007, 14:46
Found an Eagles nest for 37 and some change, free shipping if I total 49 or over. Figures they dont have anything else I want or need. lol Thanks i think Im gonna get this or at least think about it. I have a LOT of time on my hands so Id like to make/modify my own gear. get my moneys worth. THANKS everyone!:sun

hammock engineer
03-06-2007, 15:10
HF is down right now for a server move. But there is a couple really good threads about making your own hammock, underquilt, and cat cut tarp. Check it out and let us kow if you have any questions.

peanuts
03-06-2007, 22:36
rockstar, where did you find that deal???

RockStar
03-06-2007, 23:40
I think I used bizrate to find it just before they tried to convince me I would get 4 magazine subscriptions for a year free... :rolleyes: It is at www.campbound.com (http://www.campbound.com) . The shipping is free if you buy 49 bucks or more worth of stuff. I spent 2 hours on there looking at everything and just decided to get the hammock and a biner thats a therm. and compass for S&Giggles. Shipping was only a couple of bucks came to 47.85 total. I got the last Kaki/olive one I think ! :-?

Just checked there is only one left and it is orange and grey.