PDA

View Full Version : Tenting at Shelters

dperry
03-06-2007, 01:52
Apropos of the very long shelter etiquette thread, are there any shelters outside of GSMNP where it is not legal to tent?

dperry
03-06-2007, 01:53
And before anyone jumps on me, that would be tenting next to the shelter, not in it. :rolleyes:

RAT
03-06-2007, 02:09
I dont think so. I dont remember seeing any no tenting signs at or near any shelters. Most shelters have overflow tent sites just past them a ways. Pitch your tent where ya want to.

RAT

rafe
03-06-2007, 07:40
Apropos of the very long shelter etiquette thread, are there any shelters outside of GSMNP where it is not legal to tent?

In the heart of AMC country, in the Whites... probably anywhere from Lonesome Lake Hut to Pinkham lodge or Carter Hut. Stealth sites can be hard to find, unless you head off the ridge onto a tributary trail.

Peaks
03-06-2007, 08:18
Certainly in the White Mountain National Forest. I think that there is a "forest protective zone" 1/4 mile around all shelters, huts, and campsites.

That being said, you will usually see bootleg campsites just outside the forest protective zone signs. So, it is legal to tent there, and people do, including myself at times.

Midway Sam
03-06-2007, 08:28

Thomas Knob and Wise in VA.

Lugnut
03-06-2007, 09:39
I don't recall any signs saying you couldn't camp at Thomas Knob or Wise shelters. Because of the rocks it may be a little rough at Thomas Knob but Wise has plenty of good areas. Maybe the rules have changed since I was last there.

Midway Sam
03-06-2007, 09:56
I don't recall any signs saying you couldn't camp at Thomas Knob or Wise shelters. Because of the rocks it may be a little rough at Thomas Knob but Wise has plenty of good areas. Maybe the rules have changed since I was last there.

Well, the Third Edition of the Appalachian Trail Guide I have states "Tent camping is not permitted near the shelter or the surrounding area, which is on state park land" for Wise Shelter. THe entry for Thomas Knob Shelter simply states "Tenting is not permitted around the shelter". I read somewhere else it is due to the existance of a rare salamander in the area.

Lugnut
03-06-2007, 13:14
That's news to me. I doesn't mention anything about restrictions in the WF handbooks I have. Of course the newest one I have is '98 so I guess a lot could change. Thanks for the info.

b3dsaul
03-06-2007, 14:39
You arent suppose to camp at Wise or anywhere in Grayson Highlands State Park; however, since i was a kid in scouts, i've camped there. There is a creek you cross just north of the shelter that has plenty of space for groups to camp.

b3dsaul
03-06-2007, 14:40
Also, Thomas Knob isnt in Grayson Highlands State Park.

Midway Sam
03-06-2007, 14:51
Also, Thomas Knob isnt in Grayson Highlands State Park.

Well, the Third Edition of the Appalachian Trail Guide I have states "Tent camping is not permitted near the shelter or the surrounding area, which is on state park land" for Wise Shelter. The entry for Thomas Knob Shelter simply states "Tenting is not permitted around the shelter". I read somewhere else it is due to the existance of a rare salamander in the area.

I never said it was. (emphasis added)

HappyGoLucky
03-07-2007, 02:02
I thought tenting at the 'pond/lake' shelters in Vermont (Stratton, Griffith/Peru, Little Rock's two shelters) was prohibited since they are high-use areas. There are designated campsites (all in better locations than the shelters IMO) within a half-mile of all of these shelters. Could be mistaken though (may remember a tent pad at Peru Peak Shelter???)

rafe
03-07-2007, 08:22
I thought tenting at the 'pond/lake' shelters in Vermont (Stratton, Griffith/Peru, Little Rock's two shelters) was prohibited since they are high-use areas. There are designated campsites (all in better locations than the shelters IMO) within a half-mile of all of these shelters. Could be mistaken though (may remember a tent pad at Peru Peak Shelter???)

Griffith Pond had tent platforms when I was there in 2005. I recall paying $4 to use one. If there was a shelter there, I don't remember seeing it.

Peaks
03-07-2007, 09:14
Griffith Pond had tent platforms when I was there in 2005. I recall paying $4 to use one. If there was a shelter there, I don't remember seeing it.

The nearby shelter is now named the "Peru Peak" lean-to. Years ago, before the tent platforms were there, it was called the Griffith Pond lean-to.

My Long Trail Guide reads: "In an effort to protect vulnerable vegetation and soils, camping at Stratton Pond is limited to designated sites." In addition to the shelter at Stratton Pond, there is the North Shore Tenting Area.

Likewise, "Camping at Griffith Lake and Little Rock Pond is limited to designated sites to protect the vulnerable vegetation and soils in these areas." Doesn't specifically say anything about no tenting at Peru Peak shelter.

rafe
03-07-2007, 09:17
The nearby shelter is now named the "Peru Peak" lean-to. Years ago, before the tent platforms were there, it was called the Griffith Pond lean-to.

My ALDHA guide says Griffith Pond and Peru Peak are five miles apart. :-? PS: Sorry, I misread the guide. I was way off... Anyway, I was blissfully unaware of Peru Peak Shelter at the time. It was nice weather, I had no need for a shelter, and had visions of a nice lakeside campsite... ha.

fonsie
03-27-2007, 11:51

the GSMNP reserves 4 spots for section hikers and they have to stay in the shelters. If the shelter is crowded then you can pitch a tent near the shelter and use the Bear cables. I was told back around X-Mas that I had to stay in the shelter and couldnot pitch my tent. The rules are in the new Companion.:cool:

vipahman
03-27-2007, 13:18
So if a shelter is full, am I expected to keep on hiking to the next shelter? Not! :eek:

I'm pitching my tent using all the principles of "Leave No Trace" as I can in a clearing close to the shelter.:banana

Rebel, with a Cause!
03-27-2007, 18:08
Rules for shelters in the GSMNP

For Thru hikers only !!! ( intent to start 50 miles before the park and continue 50 miles after )

You are expected to use the shelters until the point they become full. At this time you may tent, hammock, tarp or sleep in the open within 50 yards of the shelter.

The Ridge runner ( Greybeard ) said that they were NOT saving spaces this year for the thruhikers, so expect the most popular shelters to be full anyway. These include the following: Spence Field, Double Spring, Icewater Springs, Cosby Knob and possibly Davenport Gap.

I have been up on the AT in the GSMNP about 10 times so far this year and have seen Spence Field full almost every time. Remember this when going thru. However it is a newer shelter and looks quite good.

All section hikers, non thruhikers, etc MUST get a reservation and stay IN the shelter reserved for that date. Thruhikers need to also get a Permit before entering the GSMNP and put in big letters at the top: THRUHIKER ( Carry this permit with you in case you are asked for it )

Do not list any shelters or stopping points as you have 8 days to go where ever you wish ( As long as its on the AT ).

Have fun and please dont rush through the park. You may never get another chance to see it.

Cya on the Trail

Jester2000
03-27-2007, 18:20
Rules for shelters in the GSMNP
For Thru hikers only !!!

Oops. Almost misread your post. The beginning made it sound like the shelters were for thru hikers only, but I see that you meant that the rules are for thru's only.

But it's important for everyone to know that the following rules will be in effect at all shelters along the trail:

Jester's Shelter Etiquette Rules
(to be posted in every shelter on the AT)

1) Upon arriving at a shelter, ask politely if there is room in the shelter. When the person inside informs you that you are at the privy, excuse yourself and find the shelter. Then firmly plant your flag and announce, "I hereby claim this shelter for Spain!"

2) If you need to change your clothes in the shelter, announce that you are about to do so. This allows some to avert their eyes, and others to charge up the flashes on their cameras. Inviting others to get naked with you is considered polite and classy.

3) All softball played inside the shelter must be slow pitch only.

4) If you absolutely must ingest illegal drugs, do so while wearing a full indian war bonnet, and claim that it is for sacramental purposes only.

5)Walking on the sleeping deck in boots is only permitted if said boots have clear heels filled with goldfish.

6)Only one tuba solo per evening.

7)Building a fire inside the shelter is only permitted if
a)it is very cold
b)the fuel is all deadfall
c)you are as stupid and insane as a syphilitic donkey

8) No couscous.

9) Nine PM is considered hiker midnight. After this time, the only songs that can be sung aloud are "The Humpty Dance," "Baby Got Back," and "Desperado." (New Jersey only)

10) If you insist on bringing him with you, you must be understanding of the fact that sooner or later someone is going to try to eat your dog.