PDA

View Full Version : chopper down!!!

neighbor dave
03-06-2007, 07:39
:-? don't piss off a swamp donkey!!:eek:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/05/moose.v.helo.ap/index.html

Touch of Grey
03-06-2007, 09:15
I understand the reasoning behind the thought of keeping the moose safe by not allowing it to get near water and drown due to the narcotic effect, but who has not heard of the fact that you should never corner and animal or anything for that matter?

The end result of cornering this animal is what happened. It attacked to free itself from a perceived attack. Shame on the pilot and the biologist for invading the space of the moose. This should have been common sense for the biologist at least.

Same results happen when you get in between a mother and a child, the end result is that momma wants to make sure that baby is safe and she will attack you. To me this is one of those DUH moments for the pilot and biologist.

To quote Forrest Gump in a manner of speaking," Stupid is, as stupid does!"

TOG

moxie
03-06-2007, 09:28
About once a year a moose wanders into downtown Portland, Bangor or Augusta. The wardens try to shoo them away from the water before they shoot the dart into them. Perhaps they have more experience than Alaska-thats why they don't corner a stray moose with a chopper. Once they are tranqulaized it takes about 15 25 minutes for them to fall asleep. Then comes the fun part watching the game wardens trying to load a 800 to 1000 pound moose into the back of a pickup truck without hurting it. The funny thing is you see very few moose living in Walmart parking lots and thers is very little feed for them downtown so if they just left them alone they would sooner or later go back to the woods.

rafe
03-06-2007, 09:37
The funny thing is you see very few moose living in Walmart parking lots ....

The moose are prolly smarter than the typical WalMart shopper. ;)

Frosty
03-06-2007, 11:24
Same results happen when you get in between a mother and a child, The mother will ram her head into a tail rotor and have to be euthanized?

What the chopper did was called herding, driving an animal to a place you want it to go. Sheep herders do it with dogs, cowboys used to do it with horses and now do it with pickups and helicopters. This is a common practice. Let's not go off the deep end here.

LIhikers
03-06-2007, 11:26
When my wife and I went to Alaska last summer I read, someplace, that more people in Alaska are killed by moose than by bears. That article recalled that interesting, to me, tid bit of information.

Rufous Sided Towhee
03-06-2007, 12:17
if they just left them alone they would sooner or later go back to the woods.

Yeah, but sometimes they stop to do this on the way out of town:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eo4BtlHsOM

(the man died, BTW)

Moxie00
03-06-2007, 17:33
Yeah, but sometimes they stop to do this on the way out of town:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eo4BtlHsOM

(the man died, BTW)
Amazing video, My state ,Maine, has a huge moose population and I have only heard of one moose attack. Once a hunter shot a bull during mating season and claimed it charged him. Most people felt he just wanted to shoot a moose. Once I got between a cow moose han her young calf by accident. She made alot of noise but never attacked me. Once I got out of the way she ran off with her caalf. I am wondering if the moose in the video was protecting a calf.

greentick
03-06-2007, 18:02
When my wife and I went to Alaska last summer I read, someplace, that more people in Alaska are killed by moose than by bears. That article recalled that interesting, to me, tid bit of information.

My wife lived in AK for several years and when we visited a couple of years ago her aunt gave some good advice: "It's not the moose you see that you have to be careful of, but the one you don't see."

Saw them everywhere except while hiking. Did see some spoor on the trail.

oldfivetango
03-06-2007, 18:12
Could we get a new thread out of this? Hows about-
"Your Gun AND your Helicopter are Worthless"?:D
Cheers,
Oldfivetango

buckowens
03-07-2007, 00:46
So there I was... Nope, I got no good moose story involving helicopters.

I can say this after flying them for 22 years...pigs absolutely go crazy when you fly over them :D I have no idea why, but I have flown close over deer, elk, bear and other animals that only had a mild reaction. Pigs go nuts!! :banana (I have secretly always wanted to use the dancing banana and this seemed like a good spot. When I think of the pigs I laugh...)

Wanderingson
03-07-2007, 05:33
Neither the pilot nor the biologist was injured, but the moose was maimed by the spinning rotor and had to be euthanized, wildlife officials said.

Excuse me folks--I think the staement that the moose had to be euthanized is an understatement. Any moose cantacting a tail rotor would result in some serious meat slinging. Perhaps we can patent a new outdoor kitchen appliance.

Yes, Folks it's the Huey Moose-o-matic 4000. Yes, thats 4000 RPMs of kevlar to ease the burden of trimming the fat from moose. It dices, it slices, it grinds and it euthanizes.

Operators are standing by:

Call 1-800-867-5309

Newb
03-07-2007, 08:44
Poor moose. What happened to his friend the flying squirrel? Did he die too?

K0OPG
03-07-2007, 09:11
No, Rocky's contacting his lawyer concerning losing his life partner.