PDA

View Full Version : PA Day Hike

nightcrawler
03-06-2007, 08:57
I am looking for suggestions for a day hike along the AT in PA. Something out and back from the car. Probably a total distance of 10-12 miles. Thanks!

Toolshed
03-06-2007, 10:20
From Eckville to the Pinnacle and back 8 Miles.

moxie
03-06-2007, 10:39
From the HQ at Harpers ferry across the bridge into New Jersey. Another great hike is from Pa. route 16 to the Mason Dixon Line and on to Pen Mar park. Both hikes will take you out of Pennsylvania and that is the best thing about hiking in Pennsylvania. (except for the Doyle, you might just consider hiking from the Doyle bar to the bar at Sorentos Pizza and a return hike)

Lone Wolf
03-06-2007, 10:42
From the HQ at Harpers ferry across the bridge into New Jersey.

you mean maryland

Imager
03-06-2007, 10:44
From the HQ at Harpers ferry across the bridge into New Jersey....

That's quite a day hike.

saimyoji
03-06-2007, 11:01
Up to Sunfish Pond and back: Take the Mt Tammany trail up to the peak, then north to the fire road, over to the AT, up to the pond, then the AT down to the parking lot: 10-12 miles.

309 to Bake Oven Knob and back: 8-9 miles.

Windsor Furnace up to the Pinnacle, north towards Eckville, but take the blue blazed trail at Gold Spring? south back down to the Hamburg reservoir. 9-10 miles.

Hawk Mt.: AT up across River of Rocks to the Golden Eagle Trail, west to the sanctuary, loop around inside the sanctuary, back down to the AT via River of Rocks Trail, AT south to the trail head/parking lot. ~10-12 miles.

These are my favorites

LIhikers
03-06-2007, 11:14
From Eckville to the Pinnacle and back 8 Miles.

Yep, this would be a great day hike. I'd save it for a nice warm sunny day so that you could lay out in the sun, lounging on the Pinnacle and looking over the fields below.

gibsygoldtop
03-06-2007, 11:34
Chimney Rocks in Michaux State Forest.... 1900' - amazing!

However, I would never turn down a hike to the Pinnacle. Growing up in that area, the hike never gets old. We also got engaged there last Oct!

c.coyle
03-06-2007, 11:52
Lehigh Gap (Route 873 bridge) to Little Gap and back is about 11-12 miles. This hike features the steepest climb / descent in Pa., plus the famous, and strangely beautiful, moonwalk above Palmerton. Mostly flat once you're out of LG. An unusual hike, but real nice on a warm day.

Toolshed
03-06-2007, 12:11
That's quite a day hike.

What more could you expect from a guy that couldn't hack PA!!!!!!! :welcome

nightcrawler
03-06-2007, 12:14
Thanks for the suggestions! Harpers Ferry to New Jersey may be a tough day, but I'm sure I could handle it no problem ;)

StarLyte
03-06-2007, 12:23
You're coming from Ohio aren't you?

Drive over to Pine Grove Furnace State Park, park your car at the hostel (get Donna's permission first), walk south, Toms Run shelters are approx 5-6 miles, nice stream, another few miles up is Shippensburg Road or walk another mile to Birch Run Shelters. Depending on how you hike, that's a decent day hike, not rugged, not steep, quite beautiful. There's a nice pine forest in this hike, and beautiful things along the way, many water sources too.

In the event of a bail-out, and I know this because my granddaughter pooped out on me, there is low cell phone reception at Shippensburg Road.

Have fun, whatever you do.

nightcrawler
03-06-2007, 13:06
I am actually in Philadelphia right now so I can get anywhere pretty easily. Suggestions are really helpful. Not too familiar with the area.

Moxie00
03-06-2007, 17:18
From the HQ at Harpers ferry across the bridge into New Jersey. Another great hike is from Pa. route 16 to the Mason Dixon Line and on to Pen Mar park. Both hikes will take you out of Pennsylvania and that is the best thing about hiking in Pennsylvania. (except for the Doyle, you might just consider hiking from the Doyle bar to the bar at Sorentos Pizza and a return hike)
Talk about a senior moment, I got Harpers Ferry confused with The Deleware Water Gap. Gap to Sunfish is a good hike.

BoyJame
03-06-2007, 19:02
I am fairly new to the AT so forgive me for my naivity. What and where is the pinnacle in PA? I live near Duncannon, PA - how far of a drive is it to the pinnacle from the Susquehanna?? Thanks

saimyoji
03-06-2007, 19:07
I am actually in Philadelphia right now so I can get anywhere pretty easily. Suggestions are really helpful. Not too familiar with the area.

Take 476N to the Lehigh Valley exit (Allentown) then:

78W to Hamburg (Port Clinton)
78W to Lenhartsville (follow signs to Hawk Mtn for Eckville and Hawk Mtn. hikes)
78 E to 33N to 80E to Delaware Water Gap

etc.

Elf
03-06-2007, 19:53
It'll be marked as US-22 east and west form the Lehigh Valley exit off I-476, although I think there are also direction to 78W and 78E. 22W joins with I-78W after a few miles. Except during rush hour (7-9 AM and 4-6 PM weekdays) 22E gets you to 33N faster than following the signs to I-78E and going to 33N.

The best way to Port Clinton from I-78 is to go to the PA-61N exit (which many of us locals call the Hamburg exit), not the exit marked Hamburg (which goes into the town of Hamburg).

Hawk Mountain can be acessed form Port Clinton, but I prefer the Lenhartsville exit (PA-143) off I-78. Go north on PA-143 until you see a gas station on the right side of the road; Hawk Mountain Road is the road that goes off to the left across 143 from the gas station. After a few miles and the "town" of Eckville, the Eckville Shelter is just off Hawk Mountain Road on the left. At the top of the hill is the Hawk Mountain Sanctuary.

To access the Pinnacle from Windsor Furnace, these (http://www.lvaas.net/pr/directions.html) are good directions. There is parking near the gate mentioned in that link, Windsor Furnace Shelter is near the gate (there are signs), and about 1/4 to 1/2 mile beyond the gate is where the gravel road meets the AT.

DuctTape
03-06-2007, 20:10
I recommend the loop from Windsor Furnace - it's my favorite local day hike. Follow the driving directions from the link in the previous post.

From the parking area walk up the gravel road maybe a quarter mile to the AT. Follow the AT to the right over a bridge ("north"), and up to Pulpit Rock, followed by the Pinnacle. From the Pinnacle continue "north" on the AT until you come to large grassy clearing. To the left at the clearing will be a blue blaze that descends along a cascading stream down past the Hamburg Resevoir and back to the gravel road and parking lot.