PDA

View Full Version : Trail Magic

waffles
03-06-2007, 09:54
Hey Every Super Cool SOBO,
Living in NewEngland, i have seen some trail magic, but not as much as i hear about from other states. I will hopefully be a SOBO in 2008, if not then i will be a flip-flopper in 2008. But this year i will hopefully be working with Maine Conservation Camp in Bethel, Maine. Bethel is near Sugarloaf, and all the other cool ridges in Maine, like Poplar Ridge
(which by the way, *a little challenge to you all, find out why its called Poplar Ridge even though there are hardly any poplar trees and find out about the navy missles and the awsome old man who takes care of it all!).

Anyways, maybe i can get my campers to do a little Trail Magic every week. Any suggestions on what you awsome SOBOs might want in that region? Granola Bars, Soda (i would love to get you some beers like i've seen in the past, but my little campers may disaprove), fire starters, Fruit, Cheese...or waffles?

Give me some ideas and ill see what i can do?
~waffles

johnnyblisters
03-06-2007, 10:13
Think fatty foods, I heard hikers love that sort of thing..

soulrebel
03-06-2007, 10:18
coke is it. Fruit is really nice, particularly vit C rich items.

tiamalle
03-06-2007, 11:20
I love seeing the happy look on peoples face when they come up on trail magic as a surprise.The thought of meeting and making friends is the way I see it,but I respect others opinion.Many don't like it.

RadioFreq
03-06-2007, 12:39
Forget the fire starters....they taste terrible.

saimyoji
03-06-2007, 12:42
The trail is magic enough. Heed the signs: "Don't feed the wildlife." This includes hikers. ;)

RAT
03-06-2007, 20:15
Ribeyes are the only way to go, really ;)

RAT

Jester2000
03-06-2007, 20:18
As usual, a post about trail magic is directed at a particular group, and then some other folks think that means it would be a good idea to try to provoke a debate about whether trail magic is a good idea or not. There are other threads for that. This person is asking for advice on what to bring. That's it.

Have some courtesy. By the way, waffles, good luck and have fun. If I were you I would bring waffles.

waffles
03-07-2007, 15:44
So the decision is, i should get:
~waffles
~fruit (high vit C)
~coke
~fatty foods
~& ribeyes (which i will have to research what that is)
but not fire starters because they taste bad.
got it. im always up for more options on what to bring.

and thanks jester2000, i had never even known until now some object to it, but no matter. Anyways, i hope i see you on the trail at my little post in Bethel (i will def. be there now, i got the job)!

"A ship is always safe in a harbor, but that is not what a ship is built for." ~William Shed

Lone Wolf
03-07-2007, 16:17
ribeyes are steaks. beef

Alligator
03-07-2007, 16:23
(which by the way, *a little challenge to you all, find out why its called Poplar Ridge even though there are hardly any poplar trees..Is it a ridge of aspen trees?

Gray Blazer
03-07-2007, 19:15
They sell the trick-or-treat size snickers in bags. Have a few bars ready to give out for dessert or a trail snack for later. Just don't unrap them and put one end in your mouth. :eek: Did it used to be popular ridge and got shortened to poplar?:confused:

RAT
03-08-2007, 01:25
Someone actually has not heard of a ribeye ?? dang, where ya from waffles ?

Prime cut of beef steak, served with potato and salad then lots of fruit and greasy sausage and bacon varieties with eggs for b fast ;) Dont forget the juices and milk !

RAT (professional trail magician)

waffles
03-08-2007, 17:19
Well, i appreciate the explaination on ribeyes. (i live a sheltered life, some of us are vegitarians and the rest don't know how to cook) :) Anyways, yeah the snickers are probably a good idea as well.
No Poplar Ridge does not have any aspens (aka populas tremulotious (my spelling is probably wrong)). Well only little ones are starting to grow there. And lol, no the name didn't get shortened. That's what i thought too. When you stay at the hut on that ridge closest to Saddleback coming from Sugarloaf, after your long step hike for that day, you must read the pamphlet in that hut. That place is pretty cool for many reasons. Also, on that same ridge there has been a huge debate for the last couple of years about whether a wind farm should go in place. The MATC and other organizations, although they agree that wind farms are a great source of energy, they prevented the wind farms from going in place, because it would affect the AT too much. So while your on those mountains take a nice good look at the beautiful trees that lie on the side of the ridge and how lucky they are to be preserved.
:)
~waffles

Penne
03-10-2007, 19:56
Waffles I want to thank you in advance for the trail magic. Personally I adore trail magic--even on section hikes when I've been out for a week and I see that cooler of sodas. I love that there are people out there who want to help and make others happy.

Brother in Arms
03-20-2007, 10:46
I just found out what trail magic is and I think its great.

Im easy going, Ill take anything anyone is willing to give :) but anyone who needs anything from me is welcome to it.

Toilet paper would be good trail magic, Beef Jerky for meat eaters. I don't drink beer so you can have my share ;)

I plan on bringing some trail favors to give out to other hikers who are cool, probably some tick pullers and p-38's can openers.

by the way in Maine we call trees likes aspens Poplars...and the more erusticated folks call them it Popple. (like the 1980's stuffed animal that you could turn inside out...though Im sure they called them popples before the toy.) Funny the things you learn growing up in maine.

Take her easy everyone
Brother in Arms

thecaptain
05-14-2007, 09:52
The 3rd annual "The Captain'c Big Time Trail Magic" will again occur this year on June 2nd at mile marker 641.6. The location is 1 mile north of Pine Swamp shelter at my house. My house is right on the trail and signs will be posted to the exact location....hot dogs, hambugers, and many other items on the menu.....camp in my yard, use the internet, swim in the creek, relax and watch TV or soak in my hot tub...stop by or stay Fri, Sat night....had approx 35 las year and 13 tenting in my yard....let's break the record this year....for more info see me at trail days...I will be set up selling landscape photos. Selling under the name "Mama's Pic Photography"

Mike DeHart
"The Captain"
540-626-5409

RockDoc
07-19-2007, 12:11
When we came out of the woods at Gulf Hagus in the 100 mile wilderness a VISTA group was resupplying and they offered us a piece of fabulous white cake.....

CAKE! Whoo-Hooo! There was frosting all over the place, until we licked it all up.

That's about all the magic we got, but it was a nice memory.

trailangelmary
07-22-2007, 02:49
Bananas = Potassium = fuel for muscles

Roland
07-22-2007, 03:22
waffles,

I know you started this thread in March, and you have not logged-on for several months. But, in the event you check-in today, I hope you're enjoying a nice quiet weekend (http://www.clamfestival.com/insider.php) in Yarmouth. :D

Quiet Chuck
07-22-2007, 11:43
what about those Navy missles??