PDA

View Full Version : Survival Test

iliketacos
03-06-2007, 11:45
My score says I should stay near the cabin:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/quizes/survival/survival1.html

doggiebag
03-06-2007, 11:54
My score said I should stay in Starbucks. They did have a couple of tricky ones.

Bilko
03-06-2007, 11:56
I need to stay in my own backyard. After answering a few questions, I started second guessing myself. I guess, second guesses need to stay home. But that's just a guess.

Baum Trigger
03-06-2007, 12:01
who cares what field and stream has to say about anything, pathetic redneck mag IMO...

Bilko
03-06-2007, 12:05
Baum Trigger, what's the matter, didn't score very high? Go get a Starbucks and sit out in the backyard with the rest of us. JK

Toolshed
03-06-2007, 12:09
Smoking!!!
Got all but one right.
I can now lead you low-fat decaf latte guzzling starbucks weenies to safety. (Like I would want to) :sun Said I would do jumping jacks if I fell into a stream up to my hips (I always thought you need to quickly increase activity in order to get your blood circulating and then change into dry clothes.):sun

doggiebag
03-06-2007, 12:15
who cares what field and stream has to say about anything, pathetic redneck mag IMO...

I grew up with F&S, Outdoor Life, Boy's Life ... I ended up in the Army for a total of 8 years and ended up living in a trawler in Baltimore with a dog for a best friend. In 2 weeks I get to do what most folks only dream of doing (my thru-hike) - Not a conventional life but damn I love it :)

Lone Wolf
03-06-2007, 12:15

what do you read, backpacker? yuppie rag

Bloodroot
03-06-2007, 12:16
I missed two. I missed the jumping jacks one too!

Baum Trigger
03-06-2007, 12:19
what do you read, backpacker? yuppie rag

Actually, I read your biography, "I'm a douche bag, you can be one too!" Thanks for read, you're my hero! I'm only kidding BTW, stop taking everything so seriously...

Lone Wolf
03-06-2007, 12:28
Actually, I read your biography, "I'm a douche bag, you can be one too!" Thanks for read, you're my hero! I'm only kidding BTW, stop taking everything so seriously...

sure scooter, whatever you say.

jettjames
03-06-2007, 12:32

actually - it is a fine magazine with a large circulation and great design, graphics and photos. it consistently wins awards for writing and photography. the articles are well written and well researched the photos are modern and clean with out being trendy. While I don't care much how to use deer urine with my tree stand, the fishing articles and other outdoors articles are usually really well done.

pt

hobbit
03-06-2007, 12:33
the jumping jacks one is wrong!!! with other ones on there... the questions aren't worded that well for example the jumping jacks one said nothing about building a fire

imo if you fall into the water b4 you build a fire i would definitley do jumping jacks to keep your body warm!

that test was a joke though

RiverWarriorPJ
03-06-2007, 12:47
Why is a wristwatch an important piece of cold-weather gear?
A. It can help you start a fire by focusing sunlight with the crystal
B. It can help you calculate the remaining hours of daylight
C. It can serve as a makeshift compass should your magnetic compass freeze up

..a, b & c are all correct

camich
03-06-2007, 12:55
Starbucks...:eek:

peanuts
03-06-2007, 12:59
:pi passed with flying colors:D:p
it was a fun test, some good questions, and yes i do agree about the watch, its good for all 3 choices....

lvleph
03-06-2007, 13:03
Why is a wristwatch an important piece of cold-weather gear?
A. It can help you start a fire by focusing sunlight with the crystal
B. It can help you calculate the remaining hours of daylight
C. It can serve as a makeshift compass should your magnetic compass freeze up

..a, b & c are all correct
Exactly! Besides some of the questions such as what should you do if you fall waste deep into icy water? The first thing I thought of was take off your clothes, but you also would want to keep your body temperature up and so you would want to do jumping jacks. But I guess it did say which do you want to do first.

fonsie
03-06-2007, 13:12
My score was:
Not bad. But don't get too excited. This test wasn't that hard.
To easy got one wrong....the Butter ? got me

lvleph
03-06-2007, 13:18
My score was:
Not bad. But don't get too excited. This test wasn't that hard.
To easy got one wrong....the Butter ? got me
High fat high calorie foods will help you keep warm.

unl1988
03-06-2007, 13:24
Ok, I am in the Starbucks crowd, but don't you think the first thing you should do when you fall through the ice is get out of the water?

Pure butter? Gross, I am pretty sure that granola has a lot of fat in it, too.

Sigh, I will stay inside.

D'Artagnan
03-06-2007, 13:53
Missed the jumping jacks question -- guess I've been watching Bear Grylls too much. :eek:

Outlaw
03-06-2007, 14:33
Missed the jumping jacks question -- guess I've been watching Bear Grylls too much. :eek:

See, there lies the problem. Bear builds the fire BEFORE he jumps in the freezing cold water, then comes out, strips buck naked and then proceeds to do exercises in front of the nice hot fire.;)

Toolshed
03-06-2007, 16:04
See, there lies the problem. Bear builds the fire BEFORE he jumps in the freezing cold water, then comes out, strips buck naked and then proceeds to do exercises in front of the nice hot fire.;)
Bingo!!!!!

Bravo
03-06-2007, 16:11
Not Bad. Don't get too excited.

BS test IMO.

TOW
03-06-2007, 17:32
My score says I should stay near the cabin:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/quizes/survival/survival1.html
well, wht do you know? after all the winter camping and hiking i have done, all i scored was a 60?:-?

NICKTHEGREEK
03-06-2007, 17:51
HMMM, I expected something more like "You lost the keys to your RV what should you do? A. Look down, you haven't been more than 20 feet from it all week. Field and stream is getting extreme.

Bohican
03-06-2007, 18:32
Not Bad. Don't get too excited.

BS test IMO.

I got the same 90%, and I agree with the BS wording. I missed the one about how often you should stop to asses your clothes. The options were once, twice, and never. I picked twice, because there wasn't an option for doing it as needed. I think it was very poorly worded.

These are equally interesting.

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/survival/lifeordeath/games.html

K0OPG
03-07-2007, 09:31
uh yeah...I'd like a mocha latte with a shot of hazelnut and whipped cream!

Starbucks here i come!

maxNcathy
03-07-2007, 10:36
70/100

watch, snow on face, stay awake

should have got these right

oh well, i have a big backyard.

Spork
03-07-2007, 11:26
That's odd, when I finished the test it said "Welcome Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle!" Didn't anybody else get that response?:D Naw, I got that stupid clean clothes question wrong...

This is my domain, and I protect those who come here...

Footslogger
03-07-2007, 11:29
[quote=Spork;334795]That's odd, when I finished the test it said "Welcome Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle!" Didn't anybody else get that response?:D Naw, I got that stupid clean clothes question wrong...

===================================

So ...I guess a new trail name is in the offing ?? Do you prefer "TARZAN" or "LORD"

...maybe "LORD SPORK"

'Slogger

Spork
03-07-2007, 11:48
So ...I guess a new trail name is in the offing ?? Do you prefer "TARZAN" or "LORD"

...maybe "LORD SPORK"

'Slogger

Well, my wife is NEVER gonna call me "Tarzan" so that's out. And "Lord Spork" kinda sounds like something Madonna would name her kids, although it does have a certain regal ring to it. "Jungle Boy" has some possibilities, but I think I'd rather just stick with something virile and manly like "Spork".... Thanks for the offer though!

Footslogger
03-07-2007, 11:59
Well, my wife is NEVER gonna call me "Tarzan" so that's out. And "Lord Spork" kinda sounds like something Madonna would name her kids, although it does have a certain regal ring to it. "Jungle Boy" has some possibilities, but I think I'd rather just stick with something virile and manly like "Spork".... Thanks for the offer though!

==============================

I hear ya ...the words LORD and FOOTSLOGGER would never be used in the same sentence at Casa 'Slogger either.

doggiebag
03-07-2007, 12:03
How about Mr. Spork? Anything else would be ... illogical. :)

Lyle
03-07-2007, 12:08
Did "Not Bad".

Watch: How about taking a look at the sun's position for how much daylight is left. Starting a fire with a watch crystal would be very difficult, matches or even flint and steel would be easier. Watch would be most useful as a make-shift compass.

Jumping Jacks: Agree, immediately warming up is most important. Personally I would be doing jumping jacks while taking off my wet clothes - think everyone would just by nature. :-)

Silly test, but ok as a discussion starter.

Lyle

Luthien
03-07-2007, 12:10
Too funny! I'm stickin' to Starbucks. Gimme a nonfat triple grande latte...er, wait, I need the fat. Skip the "nonfat" part of that and I'll slurp it down while I eat that stick of butter.

Is it just me or was the wording just plain wonky...how often do you have to reassess your clothing? It said don't, and then went on to explain that you should take off clothes when you're warming up...isn't that reassessing your clothing?

Footslogger
03-07-2007, 12:14
It's all about the person(s) who wrote the test questions. For a test like this to have any real meaning the questions would need to be validated by a large number of people knowledgeable in the field.

Any of us could develop a test that few others could pass.

Fun trying to figure out what the author was thinking though !!

'Slogger

Spork
03-07-2007, 12:18
Fun trying to figure out what the author was thinking though !!

'Slogger

The author was obviously not familiar with my extensive poineering research into grime as an insulating layer...

oldfivetango
03-07-2007, 12:26
My answer to the hip deep water question was "suck it up and keep
walking" because I am dressed in nylon non cotton materials which
dry fast-no?I may be a fool but if it was so cold I started to shiver
then it would be fire time.But to be more realistic,I would actually CHANGE into my dry spare clothes in my backpack!
OFT

Outlaw
03-07-2007, 13:10
Personally I would be doing jumping jacks while taking off my wet clothes Lyle

Awesome idea. Personally, I can't even chew gum and walk up stairs at the same time. LOL

I'll have a double blended grande decaf mocha frappachino... hold the whip cream!

Toolshed
03-07-2007, 14:13
Did "Not Bad".

Watch: How about taking a look at the sun's position for how much daylight is left. ....
Lyle
When I saw that question, I immediately figured they were talking about the kind of winter weather that we get in the NE by the Great Lakes - Heavy low clouds covering the sky completely, sometimes blocking the sun so much you can't get a good angle, not to mention snow storms. In addition the brightness of the snow might make it seem earlier in the day rather than later on an overcast day.
But I did stop and ponder the watch crystal thing. 'course I'd rather die than break my seiko!!!!" :D

Lyle
03-07-2007, 14:21
When I saw that question, I immediately figured they were talking about the kind of winter weather that we get in the NE by the Great Lakes - Heavy low clouds covering the sky completely, sometimes blocking the sun so much you can't get a good angle, not to mention snow storms. In addition the brightness of the snow might make it seem earlier in the day rather than later on an overcast day.
But I did stop and ponder the watch crystal thing. 'course I'd rather die than break my seiko!!!!" :D

But if that were the type day they were talking about, the the watch crystal would be useless to start a fire too. No need to bust your Seiko.

The Weasel
03-07-2007, 14:40
Smoking!!!
Got all but one right.
I can now lead you low-fat decaf latte guzzling starbucks weenies to safety. (Like I would want to) :sun Said I would do jumping jacks if I fell into a stream up to my hips (I always thought you need to quickly increase activity in order to get your blood circulating and then change into dry clothes.):sun

Yeah, well you sure look dumb as hell sucking on a stick of butter in your clean clothes.

The Weasel

Toolshed
03-07-2007, 16:16
Yeah, well you sure look dumb as hell sucking on a stick of butter in your clean clothes.

The Weasel
Being Warm and Dumb versus being a smartass Lawyer??????
Yeah, I can live with that.

saimyoji
03-07-2007, 16:25
Being Warm and Dumb versus being a smartass Lawyer??????
Yeah, I can live with that.

No No, don't attack his profession! :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
03-07-2007, 16:27
No No, don't attack his profession! :rolleyes:

he's very sensitive. it's hate speech

iesman69
03-07-2007, 17:26
Would F&S allow a butter substitute, such as Butter Buds?

I'll be camping out in the backyard, and ordering in Starbucks!

oldfivetango
03-07-2007, 17:33

The Weasel

Gentlemen,Please-we need to keep this the "play nice" forum.
I was afraid the vitriol caused in the political forum was going
to bleed over to the other sectors.Lets not let that happen-ok?
Meanwhile,I am waiting for an apology(uh make that two) my
own self from somebody that won't ever make one.
Cheers,
Oldfivetango

Brrrb Oregon
03-07-2007, 18:20
Watch: How about taking a look at the sun's position for how much daylight is left.

Haven't spent much time in the Pacific Northwest, have you?
(Sun? What is that? :D )
I sure wouldn't break a perfectly good watch trying to make a fire here. When the weather cooperates with doing that, I'd be hiking out.

Is it just me or was the wording just plain wonky...how often do you have to reassess your clothing? It said don't, and then went on to explain that you should take off clothes when you're warming up...isn't that reassessing your clothing?

I don't generally decide on more clothing when I'm stopped, but when I'm moving, but that was a weird one, I agree.

I missed the butter question, which is weird, because I wouldn't have to be forced with death to eat butter straight.;)
(Of course, they could have mentioned I had sugar to mix with it.)

NICKTHEGREEK
03-07-2007, 19:12
Haven't spent much time in the Pacific Northwest, have you?
(Sun? What is that? :D )
I sure wouldn't break a perfectly good watch trying to make a fire here. When the weather cooperates with doing that, I'd be hiking out.

I don't generally decide on more clothing when I'm stopped, but when I'm moving, but that was a weird one, I agree.

I missed the butter question, which is weird, because I wouldn't have to be forced with death to eat butter straight.;)
(Of course, they could have mentioned I had sugar to mix with it.)

Well unless you are remaking Last Tango In Paris in the wilds, not much chance of having a stick of butter in your pocket miles from anywhere.

Brrrb Oregon
03-07-2007, 19:26
Well unless you are remaking Last Tango In Paris in the wilds, not much chance of having a stick of butter in your pocket miles from anywhere.

This is true, too....well, I'm not going to admit that I carry it, anyway. :rolleyes:

oldfivetango
03-07-2007, 19:39
Good point Nick.The entire test was bogus as far as I am
concerned.The real question everyone here needs to ask
themselves is this-am I going to get caught in a jam in
the wilderness for which I am not prepared?Well,I guess you
could get seriously injured enough that even the best
first aid kit would not be enough to bail you out.But in all
seriousness most of the posters here would have a shelter,
food,water,spare clothes,a sleeping bag etc in their possession
or they would not be there in the first place.It did serve as a good
reminder that you need to consider worst case scenarios like
driving in bad weather and getting stranded like that family in
the Northwest a few months ago.In the end it is all about being
wary and being prepared.I almost got lost in the woods one evening.
Resolved to carry a compass and a firestarter since and have stayed with
it,too.
Oldfivetango

mweinstone
03-07-2007, 20:06
i modled my survival skills training path on one goal. being able to start naked and frozen with just a knofe like rocky did. ive moved far beyond being able to do rocky. now i start with no knife and am studying stone tool makeing . with just a little help from nancys husband jeff at hike inn, im pritty good at smashing my fingers while still maneging to make a good edge. nancy says ther were alot of cherokees with bloody knuckles. about 10 years ago i set out on a little quest to learn how to make the things a wilderness home still needs from sociaty like salt and vineger and such. ive learned of a plant whos leaves can be roasted and the charcoal used as a salt sub. and makeing a mother from scratch to make viegar is within reach and near to wine makeing. survival skills are my hobie.

Spork
03-07-2007, 20:38
i ...with just a knofe like rocky did. ...

A knofe? That's not a knofe. THIS is a knofe...
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1927660.html

Programbo
03-08-2007, 21:45
I got 9 out of 10 right :banana

But the one they are saying I got wrong I may have just misread..It was the one about falling asleep in the winter..Most of the questions seemed to be survival/lost in the mountains type things but on that one I think they were just talking about being out in winter in general

oldfivetango
03-09-2007, 09:07
i modled my survival skills training path on one goal. being able to start naked and frozen with just a knofe like rocky did. ive moved far beyond being able to do rocky. now i start with no knife and am studying stone tool makeing . with just a little help from nancys husband jeff at hike inn, im pritty good at smashing my fingers while still maneging to make a good edge. nancy says ther were alot of cherokees with bloody knuckles. about 10 years ago i set out on a little quest to learn how to make the things a wilderness home still needs from sociaty like salt and vineger and such. ive learned of a plant whos leaves can be roasted and the charcoal used as a salt sub. and makeing a mother from scratch to make viegar is within reach and near to wine makeing. survival skills are my hobie.

Ever made fire by rubbing two sticks together?
OFT

Lumberjack
03-09-2007, 21:03
on the jumping jacks, he ask what to do first. Building a fire gets you to heat first and collecting wood is a more usefull way to warm up. Also deep cold very quickly robs you of the strength you need to build even a small fire and can also affect your judgement as well.