PDA

View Full Version : first hike guidelines

Grinder
03-06-2007, 14:10
From hammocking I've been drawn to hiking and am planning a virgin hike in a month or two.

My question: Is Amicalola SP to Dick's Creek Gap a reasonable distance in a week for a 66 y.o. first timer in reasonable shape?

I camped on Springer a couple of nights on New Year's weekend, and learned that mile in town doesn't equal a mile in the mountains with a pack on.

My tendency is to take too big of a bite, so I'm trying to stay conservative.

I looked for a loop, but none jumped out at me, so I'll use one of the shuttle services to ferry me back to Amicalola the last day.

TIA for comments and advice.

Tom

Trailwind
03-06-2007, 14:18
My question: Is Amicalola SP to Dick's Creek Gap a reasonable distance in a week for a 66 y.o. first timer in reasonable shape?
I love doing this section of the trail, hope you have a blast!! By a week do you mean a 5 day week, a 7 day week, or are you using both weekends and taking 9 days? If 5 days then IMO you are biting off too many miles per day. If 7 days you are still pushing it just a little. You could trim off the approach trail and start from the Forest Service Road 42 parking lot about nine tenths of a mile from Springer and Dicks Creek Gap would be within a reasonable range for the 7 days. If 9 days you should have a great time and not have to push yourself too much.

Ewker
03-06-2007, 14:19
I am doing the same route. I am leaving my car in Hiawassee and getting a ride back to Springer. I am allowing 6-7 days to do the 66 miles. I am in no hurry. If I get there ahead of time that is ok, if I get there later that is ok also. If something happens I can bail at Neels Gap where the outfitters is located.

Are you on a schedule to be finished by a certain time?

jesse
03-06-2007, 14:23
No one can answer that because no knows your pack weight, or what "reasonable shape" is.
But here is what you can do. Start walking from AFSP and stop when you want to. You have many places to bail out; Woody GAp, Neels Gap, etc. Have fun. I am planning to do the GA section SOBO in July.

Grinder
03-06-2007, 14:27
Thanks Ewker and Trailwind

I recognize Ewker form the Hammock forum. Hi! Did you ever get a hammock?

I'm retired, so nitty gritty timing is losing much meaning. I have motor cycle trips planned for the end of april and beginning of July. The hike will go in between somewhere.

Tom

Grinder
03-06-2007, 14:55
Jessebrent,

"no one can tell you"

Ain't it the truth!! I'm currently walking 4 miles a day and bicycle 25/30 miles
once or twice a week. Hiking up Springer from FS42 was Aerobic but doable at steady pace, last New Years ,for a frame of reference.

My big four are down to about 11 pounds, so total pack will be under thirty for sure with 7 lbs water and 10 pounds of food. Actually, by June it will be three pound lighter due to a switch in sleeping gear.

I hadn't thought about bail outs. Good point. And shuttlers certainly know the area well enough to find me where ever I bail.

Thanks
Tom

max patch
03-06-2007, 15:02
My first backpacking trip was a 60 something mile solo loop hike in the GSMNP.

If you push on past Dicks Creek and go to the state line at Bly Gap, the GATC will send you a neat "80 miler" patch for your pack.

Bravo
03-06-2007, 16:38
Jessebrent,

"no one can tell you"

Ain't it the truth!! I'm currently walking 4 miles a day and bicycle 25/30 miles
once or twice a week. Hiking up Springer from FS42 was Aerobic but doable at steady pace, last New Years ,for a frame of reference.

My big four are down to about 11 pounds, so total pack will be under thirty for sure with 7 lbs water and 10 pounds of food. Actually, by June it will be three pound lighter due to a switch in sleeping gear.

I hadn't thought about bail outs. Good point. And shuttlers certainly know the area well enough to find me where ever I bail.

Thanks
Tom

7 lbs of water seems like a lot of water to be carrying. That's 3-4 quarts right? You could probably shave that to 2 quarts at around 4 lbs.

Grinder
03-06-2007, 17:08
You're right bravo, I was thinking of 1/2 gallon and a gallon weighs a bit over 8 pounds, so it would weigh 4 pounds.

Thanks everyone. That's what I needed to know
Tom

Ewker
03-06-2007, 17:12
teblum,

I have one just haven't used it yet. I am planning on going to Neo's campout in 2 weeks to give it a try.

When are you doing this hike. I am starting on April 7th with a friend. We have to be back in Nashville by April 14th for her to catch a flight back home on Sunday.

briarpatch
03-06-2007, 17:36
I generally tell people who don't "have their hiking legs" (meaning coming from walking in the city to walking on the AT) to assume 7-10 days of hiking for the Georgia stretch of the AT, with 8 days being about average. Since you are stopping a day short of NC, but including the approach trail, 8 days would be a good estimate. Remember that the first and/or last day will be shorter because of shuttle time.

Unless you have a reason for hiking NOBO, I would leave a car at Amicalola and get a shuttle to Dicks Creek Gap, then hike SOBO back to your car. That way, you can return on your own schedule, without having a deadline to meet a prearranged shuttle on the last day. Plus, hiking the Approach Trail SOBO is a lot easier than NOBO.

Trailwind
03-06-2007, 18:08
Plus, hiking the Approach Trail SOBO is a lot easier than NOBO.
Hiking Blood Mountain Southbound more than makes up for the approach trail.

Grunt
03-06-2007, 19:33
My buddy (62- Hawkeye) and I (54- Grunt) did that hump last year, but started from FS42. I understand the approach from the SP is difficult. Anyway we made it to Dick's Creek in eight days, the last day was actually less than half a day. The first two days out of Springer were tough, especially the hump up Sassafras Mtn. We're in OK shape for our age, but I will admit humping a 45 lb pack (gotta dump some weight) up those hills kicked my ass some days. We'll be at Dick's Creek mid April to hike to Fontana Dam. Good Luck