PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Atom

Froggy
03-06-2007, 14:45
Just got a new Marmot Atom bag, supposed to weigh 16 ounces. This one is heavy at 19 ounces.

And yeah, I checked that it's actually the Atom and not some other bag.

Anyone else weighed their sleeping bags and found a discrepancy?

Joshrm78
03-06-2007, 15:18
the regular size is supposed to weigh 16oz do u have a long?

Midway Sam
03-06-2007, 15:21
Cut the tags off and ditch the stuff sack then try again. If that doesn't work, try setting your scales 3oz lighter.

icemanat95
03-06-2007, 15:42
Just got a new Marmot Atom bag, supposed to weigh 16 ounces. This one is heavy at 19 ounces.

And yeah, I checked that it's actually the Atom and not some other bag.

Anyone else weighed their sleeping bags and found a discrepancy?

Those weights are never exact. They can vary a bit depending upon how much fill was blown or sewn into the lining, how wide the seam allowance is on the fabric, how long, etc. even the fabric weight is an average rather than exact mass.

Most weight listings for backpacking gear are based on absolute minimal weight anyhow. I am generally pretty grateful for a data sheet that tells me the weight of the item as typically carried (for tents, that includes stuff sacks, stakes, poles, fly, etc. ) For garments I don't want to know what a small weighs, I'll never wear a small size, I need to know what XL or XXL weighs.

Miner
03-06-2007, 18:19
Those weights are never exact. They can vary a bit depending upon how much fill was blown or sewn into the lining, how wide the seam allowance is on the fabric, how long, etc. even the fabric weight is an average rather than exact mass.

Most weight listings for backpacking gear are based on absolute minimal weight anyhow. I am generally pretty grateful for a data sheet that tells me the weight of the item as typically carried (for tents, that includes stuff sacks, stakes, poles, fly, etc. ) For garments I don't want to know what a small weighs, I'll never wear a small size, I need to know what XL or XXL weighs. My Atom weighed 1lb 2.8oz. Cutting the labels off and using a lighter stuff sack (like a Granite Gear air bag #3 or #4) will bring it down to almost a 1lb. I think they quote the weight without the included stuff sack. There is always some small variation in weight between bags.

Froggy
03-06-2007, 23:16
Mine is a regular, and didn't come with a stuff sack.

I held the tags in my hand when I weighed it.

Thanks, folks! I guess I'll take my scale with me when I go to the store in the future.

snuffy smith
03-07-2007, 00:54
I'd say you got a 3oz.overfill free.

Froggy
03-07-2007, 19:37
I took the overweight Atom to Neptune Mountaineering, a good local outfitter, and compared it to a Western Mountaineering Summerlite bag, also a regular. I brought my scale with me. Here's what I learned:

Both bags weigh 19 oz., which is the advertised weight of the Summerlite, and 3 oz. over the advertised weight of the Atom.

The Summerlite has a full length zipper. The Atom has a half-length zipper.

Both bags are made well. Good construction throughout, and well-thought-out details in both bags.

Both bags have similar loft, about 1 1/2 to 2 inches max on just the upper side, but read on....

The Summerlite has actual baffles. The Atom is sewn-through. This lets the Summerlite be rated for 32, I think, compared to the Atom at 40 F.

The Atom has fabric that's softer and nicer-feeling than the Summerlite.

The Atom has a small face opening in the hood, compared to the Summerlite, with a down-filled tube and soft fabric around the perimeter. Altogether a nicer and warmer hood than the Summerlite.

Finally, since I got kind of a deal on the Atom, the Summerlite would be about $100 more expensive.

To me, it seems as if the longer zipper and the real baffles are the most important points for a summer bag, and there the Summerlite shines. It might be that on a hot summer night, I'd really, really, want the zip - or it might be that I'd simply use the silk liner then instead.

What do y'all think? And thanks very much for the advice, too.

Chache
03-07-2007, 21:12
I just got the Atom. Didn't weigh it yet but was wondering if anyone has tried it out at 40 degrees. If so what were you wearing at the time.

Miner
03-08-2007, 15:54
I just got the Atom. Didn't weigh it yet but was wondering if anyone has tried it out at 40 degrees. If so what were you wearing at the time.
I had no trouble in it down to 40degrees but I'm a warm sleeper. I have successfully used it down to the low 30's with the help of a silk liner bag and silkweight Marmot thermals.

Chache
03-08-2007, 16:53
I had no trouble in it down to 40degrees but I'm a warm sleeper. I have successfully used it down to the low 30's with the help of a silk liner bag and silkweight Marmot thermals.
NICE, I was planning on using my Marmot silk weight thermals. Good to know thanks