PDA

View Full Version : Towns w/ movie theaters. Simpsons Movie 7/27/07!!!

Undershaft
03-06-2007, 14:54
Does anyone know which trail towns in New England have movie theaters? Or towns near the trail with theaters?
I'm a big fan of The Simpsons and I will be hiking when the Simpsons Movie comes out this summer. It hits theaters on July 27th and I figure I'll be well into N.E. hiking north by that time. This movie must be seen on the big screen! Anyone else on the trail planning to watch it?

Jack Tarlin
03-06-2007, 16:40
In late July, most NOBO's will be in the mid-Atlantic states, or even further North.

As far as movie theaters go:

*There's a theater in Manchester Center VT.

*There's one in North Adams MA.

*There's one in Hanover NH, tho I doubt it'll screen the Simpsons movie.

Otherwise, you may have to travel well off the Trail in order to experience this significant cultural event. Good luck.

Penne
03-06-2007, 19:21
If you're near Dartmouth, NH you'll be near Lebanon, NH which has a movie theater that'll show it. Dartmouth is busy and loves thru hikers so I'm sure you'd be able to get a ride to Leb. I've been wondering where I'm going to get my Harry Potter book so I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't want to miss out on a cultural event.

rickb
03-06-2007, 19:47
Bethel, ME
Lincoln, NH
North Conway, NH

Undershaft
03-07-2007, 11:34
Awesome! Thanks for the info. It's exactly what I was looking for. I'm starting in Harper's Ferry at the end of May, so I figure two months of hiking will put me somewhere between MA and southern ME. As of now, the only zero day I actually have planned is to go see the Simpsons movie. Thanks again!

DawnTreader
03-07-2007, 11:40
Rangely Maine...

Minerva
03-07-2007, 11:46
In Vermont:
Bennington (Cinema 7)
Rutland (Plaza Movieplex and Westway)
Manchester (Village Picture Shows)
Woodstock (Woodstock Townhall Theater)

MrsG

Penne
03-07-2007, 13:27
Don't count on Woodstock. They only get one movie a week on the weekends, and that's only when the movie is out of other theaters.

mindi
03-07-2007, 14:29
Whew, I'm glad I'm not the only one that was wondering about this. I despaired at missing the movie on the big screen and having to get it on DVD when I get back. Maybe some of us can hook up on the trail and go see it together!

BTW, anyone want to tape "House" for me while I'm gone?
:D

max patch
03-07-2007, 14:45
I saw 3 movies on my thru:

Who framed roger rabbit
Funny farm
A fish called wanda

No comments please. Somtimes you just gotta accept whats available.

The theater in Hanover was pretty nice, tho.

Frosty
03-07-2007, 15:08
Whew, I'm glad I'm not the only one that was wondering about this. I despaired at missing the movie on the big screen and having to get it on DVD when I get back. Me, too. I postponed my thruhike until 2008 just to make sure I wouldn't miss it.

Jack Tarlin
03-07-2007, 17:51
Penne is right about the Lebanon NH theater, and I'm pretty sure there's even a free bus that stops close to the theater. Ask at the Dartmouth Bookstore for details on local bus service.

ed bell
03-07-2007, 20:03
I saw 3 movies on my thru:

Who framed roger rabbit
Funny farm
A fish called wanda

No comments please. Somtimes you just gotta accept whats available.

The theater in Hanover was pretty nice, tho.Actually, the 1st and 3rd are pretty damn good movies.:)

Tipper
03-07-2007, 20:08
Great Barrington, MA. There's a grocery nearby, too. But, you risk getting kicked out of the theater if you take your own food in. So...keep it concealed!

Jack Tarlin
03-07-2007, 20:34
I just came back from a trip to Lebanon and we drove right by the cinema. The bus stop isn't merely CLOSE to the movie theater, it's yards from the theater. Take the "Red Line" bus to the "P&C" Supermarket stop; the theater is just across the parking lot, and you can even do your grocery shopping before you catch the bus back to Hanover.

Skidsteer
03-07-2007, 22:40
Actually, the 1st and 3rd are pretty damn good movies.:)

'A Fish Called Wanda'!

One of my favorites.

ed bell
03-08-2007, 00:58
'A Fish Called Wanda'!

One of my favorites.
Wwwwwhhats the matter Kkkken? Ccccat got your tttoungue?:D

Sleepy the Arab
03-08-2007, 11:50
It's K-k-k-k-Ken! He's c-c-c-c-oming to k-k-k-kill me!

Undershaft
03-10-2007, 19:54
A Fish called Wanda was a great movie. Funny Farm was right about the time Chevy Chase stopped being funny. It's like he just stopped caring.... Anyway, thanks for the info on the cinemas. It's nice to know what my options will be when the end of July comes, as I don't know (or care) exactly where I'll be on the trail. See you out there!

Zooomabooma
05-01-2007, 14:46
Actually, the 1st and 3rd are pretty damn good movies.:)

A Fish Called Wanda could almost (probably) be classified as a minor classic of late 80's comedy!

As far as missing The Simpsons The Movie -- you say it must be seen on the big screen... does that mean if I choose not to see it on the big screen then I can't watch it at home?

P.S. children die in this world from lack of clean water and simple medications so if you miss The Simpsons in the theater and must resort to watching it on DVD, well, I don't think your world's gonna come to an end.

Moon Monster
05-01-2007, 16:16
P.S. children die in this world from lack of clean water and simple medications so if you miss The Simpsons in the theater and must resort to watching it on DVD, well, I don't think your world's gonna come to an end.

Geez, same could be said to all of us for surfing the Internet and posting on WhiteBlaze. The general question of this thread is a good one, and one not often answered for the AT.

I took the city bus into Rutland, VT from the Inn at Long Trail to see a movie. But it wasn't playing there so we hitched to West Rutland--I think the theaters were operated together so they split the offerings. Doing this anywhere can be problematic because the next towns over are often not trail-aware and the hitching can be hard to come by.

D'Artagnan
05-01-2007, 16:38
...P.S. children die in this world from lack of clean water and simple medications so if you miss The Simpsons in the theater and must resort to watching it on DVD, well, I don't think your world's gonna come to an end.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8c/Racheldratchdebbie.jpg/250px-Racheldratchdebbie.jpg&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debbie_Downer&h=170&w=250&sz=7&tbnid=FrJmTcsi-YVBWM:&tbnh=75&tbnw=111&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddebbie%2Bdowner&start=1&sa=X&oi=images&ct=image&cd=1

Come on, you got to give it up for the Simpsons! :D

Undershaft
05-01-2007, 20:20
A Fish Called Wanda could almost (probably) be classified as a minor classic of late 80's comedy!

As far as missing The Simpsons The Movie -- you say it must be seen on the big screen... does that mean if I choose not to see it on the big screen then I can't watch it at home?

Dude, What's your problem? Why the negativity? I asked a simple question TWO months ago, and recieved many informative answers. Got nothing better to do than take a jab at me because I want to see a particular film on the big screen? Haven't you ever wanted to watch a movie in the theater? And no, my world won't come to an end if I have to watch it on DVD. In fact, I will be purchasing The Simpsons Movie on DVD the day it is released and I'm sure I will watch it many times. But I'm gonna see it in the theater too. You got a problem with that? And since you have enough free time to look up old threads and hijack them (a thoroughly useless endevour), why don't you go help some of those unfortunate children? I'm sure the World Health Organization could use lots of volunteers in Africa.

PS: You can watch anything you want at home. Unlike you, I don't care what films people choose to watch, or where they choose to watch them.