PDA

View Full Version : weather in NC/TN in late June?

dannybuzzell
03-06-2007, 16:47
I'm planning a section from NOC to Damascus during the late June-early July time frame. Does anyone have advice or information re: weather or gear? I have done Springer to NOC, all of NH and MA, but during cooler times. Thanks for you help, dan b.

Midway Sam
03-06-2007, 16:49
Could get quite hot and will most certainly be humid! Also plan for LOTS of bugs and several snake encounters.

dannybuzzell
03-06-2007, 19:58
Thanks, I did cross Massachusetts in July - with bugs and a fairly thick atmosphere, but I have no frame of reference for conditions in NC/TN. I guess it's safe to assume that gear can be very warm weather oriented. Any hints as to shelter usage in GSNP? thanks again, dan b.

RAT
03-06-2007, 20:03
Yes hot, humid, lotsa bugs and some snakes. What do you want to know about shelters in Smokies ? Yes they have em, they are usually crowded so I would take a tent or something.

RAT

trlhiker
03-06-2007, 20:22
And don't forget those afternoon thunderstorms and like was said before, the three H's. Hot, Hazy, and Humid. And you cannot compared Mass. humidity with NC humidity. Yours only last a few days, ours for months.

dannybuzzell
03-06-2007, 21:01
Yes, agree to the H,H,+ H weather - I spent substantial military time in both Georgia and Virginia - but that was a younger time. I was wondering about crowding and availabilty at the shelters. I always carry a tent and prefer to use it when possible - any other gear suggestions? thanks, dan b.

LeeF
03-07-2007, 00:04
Danny,
Don't totally rule out cool nights in June. I've been on Mount Mitchell in July with day time highs of 50 something degrees and in the 30's at night. You'll need more than shorts and T-Shirts. Have fun.

dannybuzzell
03-07-2007, 10:16
LeeF, Thanks for the encouraging words. I was hoping for some confirmation that the higher elevations would offer some relief from the oppressive conditions. Experience in the Whites has proven this to be the case. But my only adventure on the southern AT was from Springer to NOC last April and I was spoiled by nine nearly perfect hiking days in a row. thanks for the responses, dan b.

kevin
03-07-2007, 11:22
We were out for a section from Hot Springs to Erwin last year in early July. It was only a week, so think of this as a possibility instead of a forecast. We had two days with substantial rain and a couple others were it sprinkled a bit. Weather was cool (I'd guess lows somewhere in the mid-40's to mid-50's most nights) in the evenings and early mornings. Most days were reasonable (I think we hit a good week) with highs in the upper-70s/lower-80s. However, we did hit one warm day and when you hit a ridgeline without tree cover in the afternoon, it can warm up quickly with the sun.

However, beyond the weather, the thing I really noticed is the weeds grow FAST in areas and can give new meaning to the term green tunnel.

dannybuzzell
03-07-2007, 11:52
Kevin, I allegedly teach a little meteorology so I accept the vagaries of weather, especially living in New England. But I really appreciate your input and I'm now pretty much committed to my original planned section: NOC to Damascus in June/July. Hope to see some of you out there, Thanks again, dan.b

Gaiter
03-07-2007, 12:36
Late June isn't hot yet, it was nice this past summer. when you are going through the balds, sleep in a little and the sky's will clear for beautiful views. but watch out for sunburn and for those afternoon thunderstorms.

ImkerVS
03-07-2007, 12:41
The really hot days in the NOC-Damascus section are in late July through August. I live in the valley below Beauty spot/Unaka Mtn and we have no air conditioning. The only time I've missed AC is about 2-1/2 weeks in August. And you'll be 1500 feet higher up than where I am.

Rain though. It can flat out rain here in May and June.

jbwood5
03-07-2007, 14:44
I did some of the section you are planning (and more). It was late May and early June. It rained 18 of my 21 days out.

Other years it has only rained 3-6 days of the 3 weeks. Just be prepared and hope for the best. Some of those NC climbs get tiring in the heat.

Enjoy!!!

TwoForty
03-11-2007, 23:24
Be prepared to ticks too.

TwoForty
03-11-2007, 23:24
^^^ I meant "Be prepared for ticks too."

strnorm
03-12-2007, 19:41
The storms we get at that time of the year we call them gully washers or frog stranglers:sun

soad
03-12-2007, 19:48
Nights on Le Conte in late June is definetally sweatshirt weather, however that is 6k+ On the Blue Ridge Parkway at around 3k I usually feel good in a tshirt...

Swagman
03-13-2007, 14:47
At the higher elevations (5000+) in the Smokies, you can expect it to be about 20 degrees less than the temp at lower elevations (i.e. Gatlinburg or Cherokee).