PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else wanna jump on the hammock wagon?

RockStar
03-07-2007, 08:52
Mine I found for 37.95 and a quick search of ebay turned up this deal of 38.99 "Buy it Now" with $5 shipping. you can pick from 11 colors and they will add straps and bug netting for an extra cost stated in the auction. GL!

Its an Eagles Nest by the way...

http://cgi.ebay.com/EAGLES-NEST-HAMMOCK_W0QQitemZ230092373034QQihZ013QQcategoryZ16 040QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Toolshed
03-07-2007, 10:41
You can get a new Hennessy with all the trimmings for $139... why bother with this?

neo
03-07-2007, 12:03
Mine I found for 37.95 and a quick search of ebay turned up this deal of 38.99 "Buy it Now" with $5 shipping. you can pick from 11 colors and they will add straps and bug netting for an extra cost stated in the auction. GL!

Its an Eagles Nest by the way...

http://cgi.ebay.com/EAGLES-NEST-HAMMOCK_W0QQitemZ230092373034QQihZ013QQcategoryZ16 040QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

this is what i use,on the bottom of this web page are 2 pictures of my hammock in action:cool: neo

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html

Namaste
03-07-2007, 12:05
I saw the Eagle's Nest hammock system when I was looking at backpacks and tents. It was a hideous combination of colors-purple with hot pink. I did see it comes in other colors on their website. Anyway, I can't believe how small it packs. The hammock, rainfly and bug net together was so tiny and lightweight compared to any of the tents. I wish there was an opportunity to try one out beforehand. I think I'll be checking out the hammock forum to learn more about them before I buy a solo tent.

RockStar
03-07-2007, 12:17
Well I didn't have the 139. I did have 40. It looked to be worth buying to at least test out and practice my sewing skills.

Im still looking at hammocks in general but, this one just seemed right for me. For NOW. Thanks for watching out for me though! :) AND if I feel rather dissapointed I can always send it back and get the HH. Im still surfing around looking at them all. :p

jazilla
03-07-2007, 14:04
Rockstar,
I have a Hennessey Ultra-lite backpacker and I love it. My little brother is looking hard at a Clark but he is a pocket person. My twin has the Byer Mosquito. I guess what I am saying is everyone has there own preference. If you like that eagles nest then you get some with that hammock.

mindi
03-07-2007, 14:31
Sounds like you got a good deal that works for you...great!

If I had more time I'd definitely look into a hammock. I think I'm going to try one out eventually after my thru and perhaps use one if I go on another LD hike in the future.

aaroniguana
03-07-2007, 15:00
a hideous combination of colors-purple with hot pink.

Yeah, you should see my mish mash of thrift store and ebay bought second hand gear. I look at it and wonder if I should change my trail name to "Miami Vice"...

RockStar
03-07-2007, 15:31
Thanks guys, I like the hH but, like I said this one is what I will start with.

LMAO at aaroniguana!:D

peanuts
03-07-2007, 19:35
roockstar, you will like the eno hammock. since its top loading you will not get the "cloustophobic feeling" some people might get.

stuco
03-07-2007, 21:39
I would but I can go lighter with a tarptent.

peanuts
03-07-2007, 21:46
but not as comfy!!:D:D:D:D

hammock engineer
03-08-2007, 00:17

I'll put my DIY setup including all of the insulation and storage needed up against your tarptent, pad, bag, pillow, ground sheet, and stuff sacks anyday. I think the difference will only be a couple of oz in either direction.

Without my hammock, I don't think my back would last a thru hike. I would need a pad that would add 2-3 lbs to my pack weight.

stuco
03-08-2007, 00:33
I'll put my DIY setup including all of the insulation and storage needed up against your tarptent, pad, bag, pillow, ground sheet, and stuff sacks anyday. I think the difference will only be a couple of oz in either direction.

Without my hammock, I don't think my back would last a thru hike. I would need a pad that would add 2-3 lbs to my pack weight.

If I were to use a hammock I would have to use the heavy duty models cuz I'm a big dude. They weight over 3lbs(well over). Also, for me I have to be able to move around, stay warm and keep my pack and gear in my shelter.
Tarptent 32oz
sleepingpad 11oz
pillow 0oz
bag 30oz

Total=73oz

Nothing wrong with using a hammock, I would actually like to get one when I've got some extra dough to try out.

hammock engineer
03-08-2007, 01:42
If I were to use a hammock I would have to use the heavy duty models cuz I'm a big dude. They weight over 3lbs(well over). Also, for me I have to be able to move around, stay warm and keep my pack and gear in my shelter.
Tarptent 32oz
sleepingpad 11oz
pillow 0oz
bag 30oz

Total=73oz

Nothing wrong with using a hammock, I would actually like to get one when I've got some extra dough to try out.

I am at a different pc and do not have my weights with me I'll post them later, but I think you are lighter right now. Others have ones lighter than mine.

If it helps my DIY hammock weights around a pound and holds my 220+ lbs self and gear just fine.

BrianLe
03-08-2007, 13:21
Since the question of comparable weights of hammock vs. tent has come up ...

I very much like the whole idea of a hammock, but one of the reasons I went back to the ground was that I ended up saving substantial weight doing so. I think everyone is different, but the weight and volume of stuff I felt I needed to carry in order to be reliably warm enough (convective heat loss underneath) in a hammock was too much in the context of my overall baseweight (about 13 pounds currently, skinout at 17).

3.78 pounds (60.5 oz) for hammock and related gear:

-Hammock (HH ultralight backpacker asym)
-undercover
-two underpads (feet got cold on PCT with just one)
-space blanket (used with hammock undercover) cut to fit hammock
-72" & 36" straps (2 each, big trees in the NW)
-lightweight compression sack to hold all the above
-HH Hammock tarp in a plastic breadbag
-4 light stakes
-1 mini-biner

For this year's hiking season I plan to replace the above with 2.15 pounds (34.4 oz) of tent plus 2 pads:

- Tarptent Contrail with stakes, stuffsack, cord
- Gossamer Gear ThinLight Insulation Pad, 3/8", 19.5" wide x 59" long
- Gossamer Gear Nightlight Torso-length sleeping pad, 3/4", 18" wide by 29" long

The tent weight assumes use of a trekking pole I carry in either event. The torso pad also serves as padding for my new backpack; could no doubt use that in the hammock too, but I'm not sure it could replace any weight with it --- to replace one of the underpads I'd really want it both at the feet and at the butt and it's not long enough (nor would it be as comfortable).
I use the same sleeping bag in either case, sometimes as a bag, almost always as a comforter in the hammock.

Delta in weight: 1.63 pounds.

I'm sure some hammock enthusiasts will happily tell me what I can/should cut or replace from the hammock setup, but believe me --- I moved reluctantly to carrying that much stuff, it wasn't my first choice. I was mostly okay on a longish PCT trip in August, but whenever the temps got on the low side, my confidence dropped (and my feet got cold).
I've thought about Speer's with peapods, JacksRBetter or Kickassgear options, etc etc, used a ccf pad inside the hammock, but at the end of the day I just don't see myself approaching weight equivalency and still feel safe (warm enough) when going to places that have the potential to get fairly cold.

The last thing I intend here is to talk anyone out of using a hammock, though; in the right context I love the ability to make camp almost anywhere, and would probably accept a small weight penalty to do that. If solo hiking where I was pretty sure the temp wouldn't get much below, say, 40 degrees I'd probably take the hammock at least sometimes, depending on other dynamics.

Brian

lvleph
03-08-2007, 14:15
Well the first problem is that the HHULBA is heavy IMO. Making your own hammock is the only way too go. You can make it lighter, and cheaper.

BrianLe
03-08-2007, 19:46
Yup, no doubt the hammock body itself is the biggest issue; the HH just by itself is just over half the weight I listed (the HH site lists it at 31 ounces, i.e., just shy of 2 pounds).

The delta I listed for my tent vs. hammock setup was about 26 ounces. The HH hyperlight would shave off 10 of those ounces, leaving me "only" a pound of difference. And perhaps at the cost of some durability --- the hyperlite is pretty new, so I'm not sure it's generally known how well this will last, how many nights you can be really confident it will hold you up off the ground ...

Trying to do much better than Hennesy can at making a very light hammock seems like a pretty aggressive stance, however. I do want the bug netting (!). I'm not talking here about the $$, just the question of how much I as an amateur could think to save over the professionally built hammock designed to be the lightest it can be and still have some durability.

I wouldn't consider an adventure racer (saving yet another 6 oz) because of the even further question about durability.

With a hyperlite (I don't think Speer hammocks are considered lighter than Hennesy's) and a JRB Nest I would be looking at something like 41 oz, then add some in for very lightweight stakes, extra long tree hugger straps, possibly some sort of bag to carry the various bits in (or snakeskins). That's clearly going to be heavier than the 34.4 oz I hope to find comfortable in on the ground using the tent I ordered. And, of course, if I were to buy a hyperlite and JRB Nest (yes, I know you suggested making a hammock myself), those would sum to $480.

I'm not meaning to be argumentative here; it could be that I'm just missing something important, or some aspect of talking in specifics like this could perhaps help someone else out.

Brian