PDA

View Full Version : Blissful and Paul Bunyan update

Blissful
03-07-2007, 21:47
We made it to Springer on March 5th and are now at the Hiker Hostel as I need to get my glasses fixed. With my hubby's van, we plan to slackpack the next section to Neel's Gap. Then it is a sad good bye to my hubby as we forge ahead.

jettjames
03-07-2007, 21:48
YEA! you made it thru the colds. I am heading out in one week myself. hope to see you there.

congrats on starting.

pt

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-07-2007, 22:01
:sun :sun WooHoo !!! :sun :sun

Lyle
03-07-2007, 22:12
Have a GREAT Time!
:sunDon't forget to keep us posted once in a while.:sun

rafe
03-07-2007, 22:16
Slacking to Neels? Way to go... ;)

Dances with Mice
03-07-2007, 22:24
Let's hear from Paul Bunyon! How's he doing?

SteveJ
03-07-2007, 22:32
pics? gotta see a pic of Paul and whatever axe he decided to carry! :D

SteveJ
03-07-2007, 22:34
btw...enjoy your hike, blissful and Paul! I'm talking w/ my 11 yr old - we're planning a thru-hike for the year he finishes high school!

RAT
03-08-2007, 01:22
Hey way to go, sounds great ! Slackin` is awesome esp with the ones ya love around ! Yeah we want to see the axe !!!!!

RAT

emerald
03-08-2007, 05:15
For those who may be wondering, PB has a journal. Go here (http://www.trailjournals.com/paulbunyan) to read it, sign his guest book and wish him well!

Paul Bunyan
03-08-2007, 09:40
Well, we did make it all the way to Woody gap, but decided to stay the night at the hiker hostel. Blissful has some kind of burning pain in her shoulder, so we are going to slack to Neels gap.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-08-2007, 09:46
Prayers for PB and Blissful - especially Blissful's shoulder.

frieden
03-09-2007, 01:32
All the best Blissful and PB. Take care of that shoulder. I've always wondered how many hikers do morning and evening stretches to avoid injury. Have fun you two!

peanuts
03-09-2007, 10:14
blissful and pb, have a wonderful journey!!!!!!!!

moondoggy
03-09-2007, 12:23
Good Luck PB and Blissful.......Be Careful and Have fun......

I'll be reading that journal!!!

Blissful
03-10-2007, 18:11
We are at Hiawassee Inn, got off at Unicoi Gap so we can say good bye to my hubby. Plan to be at the Cloud Nine hostel in two days. Winton at Mtn Crossings at Neels Gap fixed up my pack and it's much better, esp on my shoulder. Had some knee pain coming off the mtn today but that's to be expected. Meeting lots of great people. Thanks for everyone's good wishes.

StarLyte
03-23-2007, 15:35
Has anyone seen them? A few of us are looking for them.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-23-2007, 16:12
I think they are in the Smokies right now so no computer or phone access. Might want to check with Standing Bear (http://standingbearfarm.tripod.com/) to see if they are there yet.

rafe
03-23-2007, 17:03
Has anyone seen them? A few of us are looking for them.

In some other thread yesterday (NOBO 2007 Sightings?) they were reported to be at the Fontana Dam Shelter and heading into the Smokies.

Blissful
03-30-2007, 16:52
Hi All.

We are in Hot Springs right now for a nero and zero day. Had great weather in the Smokies, probably one of the few times thrus are seen in March wearing shorts and t shirts on Clingman's Dome! It was great.

I've updated our trail journal. Thanks SO much for thinking of us.

emerald
03-30-2007, 18:25
Pleased to hear of your progress and thanks for mentioning your journal's been updated.:)

ImkerVS
04-03-2007, 20:49
Tuesday, April 3, 2007. 70 degrees.

Saw and talked with Blissful and Paul Bunyan around dinner time at Hogback Ridge Shelter, 2 miles from Sam's Gap. They will probably be at Little Bald shelter on Wednesday, Erwin Thursday. They are doing well, look fine.

Erwin area weather: Cold front coming in, possible thundershowers tonight, and cold front coming in April 4th - with 18 degree lows later in the week, 40s highs.

emerald
04-03-2007, 21:20
Thank you for your post. I am following their hike with much enthusiasm.

I wonder is there much sign of spring at the higher elevations at this time? I would think so with the warm temperatures and clear weather about which I've been reading.

Hepaticas and ginger (Hexastylis) blooming now yards from where I sit at about 500 feet. A few twinleaf and trilliums showing flower buds but not yet blooming. New growth of geraniums, waterleaf and dwarf crested iris showing through the leaves.

Blissful
04-06-2007, 19:38
We're hanging out in Erwin with my hubby for the Easter weekend. Lots of thrus here slacking etc because of the cold weather and Miss Janet's has been full. Hard to get out there when you've been spoiled for so long with the warm weather. We will do a 8 mile slack tomorrow then leave on Sunday for good.

superman
04-06-2007, 20:08
Pat from Maine and I met Paul Bunyan just past the road crossing north of Hot Springs. He was waiting for Blissful but he was not sure if she was ahead or behind him. He is a very impressive young man and reflects only positive things about his parents.

emerald
04-06-2007, 20:46
He truly sounds like a man worthy of his name, but did you notice if he had an axe?;)

Blissful
04-19-2007, 10:05
Hey all. We are in Damascus - arriving yesterday. Paul Bunyan is hanging out in town while I am with my hubby for a short overnighteer as he had business in WVA. Looks like we may be hoofing it in VA when we get back on the trail tomorrow at noon. Need to get back home in time both for some writing work I need to do and so we can get to Trail Days in mid May.

As for weather - March was a lamb. April is the lion. Snow wind, slush, mud, and temper tantrums at times with a zero in a cold, drafty barn and other assorted difficulties. But onward and upward. :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-19-2007, 10:58
Bliss, you amaze me. Continued prayers for you, Paul bunyan and DH.

bfitz
04-19-2007, 11:07
You guys are truckin!

emerald
04-19-2007, 17:20
If you think they're movin' now, just wait until they leap frog over everyone in Virginia! It's soon time for an investment in the form of miles banked to be collected.

emerald
04-26-2007, 06:09
Go Team Bliss! :)

Blissful
05-05-2007, 20:45
We are nearing Daleville, then another six days until a week off at home of which I will then bug all White Blazers with all the knowledge I have learned in nine weeks. So get ready! he he

emerald
05-06-2007, 06:30
Go Team Bliss! :)

:-? Go Team Bliss!:D

Blissful
05-10-2007, 13:27
:( I had to come home earlier than expected - have a slight tear in my right calf muscle after the tough terrain heading into Catawba and Troutville - so am on rest for now with slow walk back. We hope to get back out by May 20 slacking the part we missed on the Blue ridge Parkway area and then will begin anew at Harpers ferry. It's sad to be off but I know I need the rest.

As for Paul Bunyan, he's happy to be home for now and is thrilled he can fit into size 32 pants. He lost 35 lbs. But he also is looking forward to Trail Days and then getting back out there.

Paul Bunyan
05-10-2007, 14:06
You bet I'm thrilled. I'm tiny. ;) :D :banana :clap

emerald
05-10-2007, 14:38
You bet I noticed one of my favorite threads had unread posts today! I'm glad to see some good news to go with the unfortunate news and that the level of enthusiasm and sense of humor seems to have benefitted from the slight change of plans.

Home is a good place to be. There is a time to hike and a time to rest. An important part of what you're attempting is knowing when to rest. Perhaps the best place of all for rest is home.:)

Just don't get too comfortable!:D

Rest Team Bliss!

emerald
05-10-2007, 14:43
You bet I'm thrilled. I'm tiny. ;) :D :banana :clap

You would know better than anyone else if what you say is so. I wouldn't think you'd make something like that up, so I'll just believe you.

What I'd like to know is have you yet become a lean, mean hiking machine?

Blissful
05-24-2007, 08:44
Well after a two week hiatus with various illnesses and the like, we are heading out to slack sections of the Blue Ridge Parkway area we are missing. Then we "hope" to continue our trek north at Harper's ferry -maybe Monday. We really want to get back hiking full time. Enough of this illness and junk, though Paul Bunyan still has a touch of a stomach flu.

I found out we were much healthier hiking. Since we've been home, it's been one plague after the other. So stay in the woods if you can!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-24-2007, 09:12
I saw Paul Bunyan at TD and can attest to the fact that he is buff :D I so wanted to meet Bliss, but alas, the dinos couldn't stay at TD very long this year (grandkids and likely son-in-law graduating that weekend)

emerald
05-28-2007, 23:40
Have the intrepid hikers crossed over to the other side or maybe I should say this side of the Potomac?

DawnTreader
05-29-2007, 11:15
We need pictures of the axe...and the ox

emerald
05-29-2007, 17:50
Have the intrepid hikers crossed over to the other side or maybe I should say this side of the Potomac?

According to a Sara Watson, who posted a message elsewhere today, yes!:)

emerald
05-29-2007, 17:59
We need pictures of the axe...and the ox

DT, please show proper respect! Babe the Blue Ox was raised Amish and doesn't wish to be photographed.:rolleyes: As for Paul Bunyan's axe, last I heard, badgers got it.:p

Blissful
06-15-2007, 15:41
We are in Palmerton, PA. Super town, friendly people, great hostel set up and easy walk in (though Paul Bunyan hitched). Had nice visits with Shades of Gray during our hike in PA. We are enduring the many rocks of all shapes and sizes PA has to offer. Hope to be at DWG by Sunday night. Trail journal updated.

ms doolittle
06-15-2007, 22:56
Glad to hear you're doing so well! And that you had a nice visit with Shades of Gray. :)

Keep on goin'. You're almost there! http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/ad/rockon.gif

emerald
06-16-2007, 00:33
Glad to hear you're doing so well! And that you had a nice visit with Shades of Gray. :)

Keep on goin'. You're almost there! http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/ad/rockon.gif

Shades of Gray is glad ms doolittle's glad, but is too lazy at this time to find a cool smiley.;)

smokymtnsteve
06-16-2007, 03:11

must be a SGT ROCK smiley

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-16-2007, 07:36
::: Dino jumps up and down with joy upon hearing Blissful and PB are in PA :::

ms doolittle
06-16-2007, 09:33
Shades of Gray is glad ms doolittle's glad, but is too lazy at this time to find a cool smiley.;)
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/merv/groucho.gif

emerald
06-16-2007, 11:00
must be a SGT ROCK smiley

Might come in handy next year when posting to SGT Rock Update.http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/ad/rockon.gif

emerald
06-17-2007, 14:09
::: Dino jumps up and down with joy upon hearing Blissful and PB are in PA :::

Maybe Blissful will tag the 1st blaze in NJ later today and Dino will be able to stop.:D :-? Of course, that might prompt yet another jumping fit.:p :D

Blissful
06-21-2007, 20:29
Hi All. Yes, we are in New Jersey and will cross into New York tomorrow. We are staying at the church hostel tonight in Vernon. Great place with everything one needs! On Saturday we will meet my hubby and then go to my parents home in NY for a few zero days. Expect to be back on the trail Tuesday and will be doing shorter mileage as my hubby will join me for a month. This will give my feet some much needed rest after PA which was hard on them. And to get ready for NH, ME, and the big K :)
Trail journal updated

Skidsteer
06-21-2007, 21:12
Hi All. Yes, we are in New Jersey and will cross into New York tomorrow. We are staying at the church hostel tonight in Vernon. Great place with everything one needs! On Saturday we will meet my hubby and then go to my parents home in NY for a few zero days. Expect to be back on the trail Tuesday and will be doing shorter mileage as my hubby will join me for a month. This will give my feet some much needed rest after PA which was hard on them. And to get ready for NH, ME, and the big K :)
Trail journal updated

WooHoo!

Sounds like a great hike. Stay strong and well. :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-21-2007, 21:15
::: Dino gives high five to Blissful while jumping for joy atop Shades of Gray :::

emerald
06-22-2007, 15:58
::: Dino gives high five to Blissful while jumping for joy atop Shades of Gray :::

:-? I don't remember anything, and I don't believe I'm repressing memory of a painful experience either.:confused:

Blissful
06-27-2007, 10:40
Hi All. We are in NY having stayed some extra days at my parents' after my dad sprained his back. We hope to be on the trail June 28 to finish NY then on to New England (yeah!). My hubby is joining us for a few weeks so we will be taking it easier on the mileage and that's good news for my sore feet (and gets me ready for the Whites). Take care.

emerald
06-27-2007, 11:27
Start on my birthday and finish on Bunyan's.:cool:

:-?Go Team Bliss!;)

Blissful
07-09-2007, 19:43
We're off for a few days at my inlaws in NY - broke the buckle to my waist belt which needed to be fixed and took a tumble that bruised my forearm pretty bad. Plus the heat was affecting my hubby, so we got off to recover. Thankfully a place in Schenectady, NY - Tough Traveler, was able to fix my pack (had the manager work on it). Hope to get back on the trail Friday just north of Rt 7 in MA (near Great Barrington). Will update Trail Journal when their web site gets over some technical difficulties.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-09-2007, 19:46
Glad you weren't hurt too bad in your tumble.
::: sits on SOG just because.... :::

Blissful
07-09-2007, 19:51
Yes, it could have been much worse, though I do have a huge bruise, about six inches in length, and fairly swollen. Thanks FD.

(Glad you haven't changed your avatar since we've been out.) :)

emerald
07-09-2007, 19:52
::: sits on SOG just because.... :::

You know, if I weren't about to return to my place of employment this instant to make big pieces into little pieces, I'd comment on your comment.:D

ms doolittle
07-09-2007, 21:25
Ack!

Sorry to hear about your fall. That seems to be the theme in NY. I now know of 4 folks that have fallen in that state..... (including Green Hornet).

Take care of yourselves, get some rest, and get back out there! Katahdin's just around the corner. ;)

Blissful
07-15-2007, 11:31
We're off the trail again and back at my in-laws. Made it close to Dalton before I slipped down a slope and this time hurt my ankle. Unable to walk on it without pain; one ligament in the ankle is damaged. Likely will head back to Virginia in the AM to recover and we still hope to summit this year, but will enjoy Maine in the fall. I hope we can get back on August 1st if the ankle cooperates. We have about 7 weeks to go to the big K. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

emerald
07-15-2007, 11:39
It saddens me to hear of your fall. I wish you a speedy recovery and pray you will stand on Katahdin this year still.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-15-2007, 14:04
Very sorry to hear you have injured an ankle. Praying for your speedy recovery.

::: Dino kisses SOG on the toes just to see what it's like to visit the vicinity without biting :::

emerald
07-15-2007, 14:17
A toe-washing.:o Well, that's a kind gesture on your part, but it seems there's someone whose injuries need attention today, no?;)

emerald
07-15-2007, 14:30
:-? I wonder if we might soon hear from that legendary lumberjack, Paul Bunyan.:cool:

If you'll recall, I pointed out long ago, "Paul Bunyan's Wife" is found in New Hampshire. They need to be ever so careful to time their return to the A.T. just right or he might miss something important.;)

Stay tuned for updates.

Quoddy
08-03-2007, 13:29
I had the pleasure of spending Wednesday night on Glastenbury Mountain (Goddard Shelter area) with Blissful and Paul Bunyan. We criss-crossed several times during the day yesterday on our way to Kelley Stand Road, just south of Stratton Mountain. They were getting a ride to Manchester Center, VT to spend the night. No problems and are moving right along.

emerald
08-03-2007, 19:33
Thanks for the update!:)

Blissful
08-07-2007, 16:49
We are near Rutland - at the Mendon Lodge, great place and nice folks. Our plan is to be in Hanover this coming Friday so I can pick up another pair of shoes that are waiting in the mail. :)

Trail journal updated.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-07-2007, 16:53
::: Dino inspects Blissful's ankle and smiles because it is better :::

emerald
08-07-2007, 20:43
Bunyan, keep your eyes open once you get to New Hampshire. You wouldn't want to miss anything.;)

emerald
08-10-2007, 05:55
:-? Where have all the Blissful and Paul Bunyan supporters gone? Post to show your support!:)

emerald
08-10-2007, 06:11
The A.T. saves its greatest rewards for those NOBOs who follow it all the way to Katahdin.

Go Paul Bunyan!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-10-2007, 07:12
:::: Dino is trying to keep up with Blissful and PB on trail to give TLC to Blissful's ankle ::::

emerald
08-10-2007, 08:46
Keeping up with Blissful and Paul Bunyan requires some hiking, Dino. It's good we've got WhiteBlaze to help us keep up!;)

While they must do the walking, we can and should help with the talking.:D

emerald
08-10-2007, 08:54
Where is that ms do little? She can talk a good hike with the best of them!:D

dixicritter
08-10-2007, 10:57
Glad to hear Blissfull and Paul are back out there! Keep safe you two! :)

ms doolittle
08-10-2007, 12:21
Where is that ms do little? She can talk a good hike with the best of them!
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/greet014.gif

What are you trying to say, SOG? http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/taunt002.gif

Stoopid work has had me tied up. Can you believe the nerve? I've been keeping an eye out for their updates, though. Soon, however, I'll be having to head north myself. A Green Hornet will be on Katahdin around 8/20'ish.

See? I do a lot!:p

emerald
08-10-2007, 14:05
What are you trying to say, SOG? http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/taunt002.gif

I just wanted to get you to post and thought I could. I figured you'd be good for a smiley too.

Is that smiley above a bull moose sticking out his tongue? Blissful and Paul Bunyan haven't likely seen their 1st. How appropriate. I knew you were a thoughtful person.;)

Stoopid work has had me tied up. Can you believe the nerve?

Short answer: yes!:rolleyes:

I've been keeping an eye out for their updates, though.

Figured as much.

Soon, however, I'll be having to head north myself. A Green Hornet will be on Katahdin around 8/20'ish.

I'll bet you are happy for him and will enjoy yourself almost as much as he will.

See? I do a lot!:p

Okay, I take back what I said.

ms doolittle
08-10-2007, 22:54
I just wanted to get you to post and thought I could. I figured you'd be good for a smiley too.

Is that smiley above a bull moose sticking out his tongue? Blissful and Paul Bunyan haven't likely seen their 1st. How appropriate. I knew you were a thoughtful person.;)

Why yes! That smiley was especially for Blissful and Paul Bunyan. :) Here's to hoping the dead moose that fell in the hole at Mahoosuc Notch doesn't stink when they go through. http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/shocked005.gif

I'll bet you are happy for him and will enjoy yourself almost as much as he will.

I'm sure it will be bitter sweet for him. I'm ecstatic to be done with those food drops! http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/dance010.gif

Heater
08-11-2007, 07:51
Here's to hoping the dead moose that fell in the hole at Mahoosuc Notch doesn't stink when they go through. http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/shocked005.gif

That dead Moose wasn't very coordinated, was it! :D
...or maybe it was, (being dead and all) you know? :-?

:confused:

ms doolittle
08-11-2007, 10:09
That dead Moose wasn't very coordinated, was it!
...or maybe it was, (being dead and all) you know? :-?

Did I mention it was a zombie moose? :p

LOL! Ya know, if I had the ability, I would have edited that statement. ;) Well, the moose wasn't dead when it fell into the hole. lol That would have taken some talent on the moose's part.

The poor thing was alive for a few days with 3 broken legs in that hole until a local found out about it and put it out of its misery. :(

Blissful
08-11-2007, 12:32
There's a dead moose at Mahoosuc Notch??! I want to see a live one, actually.

We are in Hanover. Tiggers Treehouse with great people who are letting us hibernate in their motor home for 2 days. :) Hard to believe, just 2 states to go.

ms doolittle
08-11-2007, 20:18
There's a dead moose at Mahoosuc Notch??! I want to see a live one, actually.

We are in Hanover. Tiggers Treehouse with great people who are letting us hibernate in their motor home for 2 days. :) Hard to believe, just 2 states to go.

Yes, but I read on someone else's trail journal today that they routed the trail away from that area and the smell. I'll have to see if I can find that info back and link it. :)

2 states to go! :banana (does anyone else think the dancing 'nanner is obnoxious?)

ms doolittle
08-11-2007, 20:22
Yep! Here it is!

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=199384

warren doyle
08-12-2007, 20:40
Walked with Paul Bunyan today from Trescott Rd. to Moose Mt. Shelter.

Walked with Blissful from Moose Mt Shelter to Holts Ledges.

Nice conversations with both made the miles go quicker.

Blissful
08-27-2007, 16:14
We are in Gorham, taking a zero. Back on the trail tomorrow. VERY glad to be out of the Whites in NH which were tough, though we know some more challenges await us. Weather doesn't look too good for doing the notch Thursday, hope it holds until we pass through. Paul Bunyan's birthday is Saturday and we hope to be at The Cabin then.

Journal updated.

emerald
08-27-2007, 16:48
Another tough day in the northern Whites this time climbing every Carter and Moriah Mtn, including another steep section with infamous slippery rocks and no way down. At times Paul Bunyan had to put his huge climbing stick down so I would have a foothold. At one point I was so frustrated coming off North Carter I nearly hurled my pack down the side of the mtn if not for Paul's quick thinking and grabbing hold of my pack in time.

I am thankful to have Paul Bunyan to help me out.http://www.trailjournals.com/images/faces/smile.gif

Blissful, you're sure to reach your goal with Paul Bunyan as a hiking partner.;)

ms doolittle
08-27-2007, 18:37
Shoot! Blissful, I just missed you! We went through Gorham on Sat afternoon. Ate dinner at a really good pizza place in Lincoln that evening. How did you fair that storm that rolled through Sat evening? Hopefully you were off the ridge line. Crazy stuff. Had to go around a tree that fell on the road on 25C (I think that's where I was?).

Things should start getting a bit better now. The beginning of Maine will be tough, but nothing more than you've already handled. Just think, it's gearing you up for the 'big K'. ;) Just think of it as a great big playground.

Blissful
09-01-2007, 12:03
In Andover today at The Cabin to celebrate Pasul Bunyan's birthday.

More harrowing tales to tell. It only gets more interesting and death defying even after the Whites (just likes all the SOBOs promised, thanks A LOT!).

Trail Journal updated.

emerald
09-01-2007, 14:44
In Andover today at The Cabin to celebrate Paul Bunyan's birthday.

It pleases me greatly to learn my 2 favorite members of the Class of 2007 are now in the wilds of Maine.:jump

More harrowing tales to tell. It only gets more interesting and death defying even after the Whites (just like all the SOBOs promised, thanks A LOT!).

Trail Journal updated.

I can't wait a moment longer! Thanks for the link. I'm going straight to TrailJournals.;)

Skidsteer
09-01-2007, 14:47
Happy Birthday Paul Bunyan!

emerald
09-01-2007, 15:15
It pleases me greatly to learn my 2 favorite members of the Class of 2007 are now in the wilds of Maine.:jump

Blissful, I PMed woodsy although news of your arrival's probably spread throughout the wilds already. Long-awaited news of the kind you've announced travels as effortlessly as the cry of the loon on a gentle breeze and is soon to be known to everyone.;)

woodsy
09-02-2007, 07:32
The radar is on, picking up two blips outta Andover early this morning....don't seem to be moving too fast though.....them Mahoosics must have kicked butt.

emerald
09-02-2007, 14:03
Those blips don't need to be moving fast. It's enough for them to be moving toward Katahdin.

I've put in for clear weather when they hike the High Peaks region.:sun A sunset from Saddleback, a sunny day for Myron Avery Peak or both will boost their enthusiasm.:) They've endured more than their share of foul weather lately, but they must play the hand they are dealt just like everyone else.

woodsy
09-02-2007, 14:10
I've put in for clear weather when they hike the High Peaks region.:sunIt will be hard to find a cloud anywhere for the next 4-5 days(except those high wispy ones) in the high peaks region.....It just don't get any better than this!

emerald
09-06-2007, 20:03
I know there are others who will be pleased to know a particular journal has been updated.;)

emerald
09-07-2007, 20:49
Myron Avery Peak -- and to think I spent the day swatting flies with my tail along some creek in The Green Diamond!:rolleyes: :p

emerald
09-07-2007, 20:53
Just kidding.:D Don't tell The Goat, okay?:o

emerald
09-07-2007, 20:56
Hay, Blissful.:D Tell Ferryman I'll pull the hikers across, but he'd better put on a good feed.;)

The Old Fhart
09-08-2007, 22:07
I can tell you they were at a hiker feed near the end of Flagstaff Lake today.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-08-2007, 22:08
Old Fhart, how is Blissful's ankle?

The Old Fhart
09-09-2007, 12:42
Old Fhart, how is Blissful's ankle?
About 12 hikers showed up for the AYCE breakfast so there was lots going on at the time and Blissful made no mention about her ankle but seemed to be doing fine.

emerald
09-09-2007, 13:40
TOF, thanks for your posts. I saw yesterday's posts then, but didn't acknowledge them.

Blissful has demonstrated the kind of determination necessary to complete a Georgia to Maine hike. I do hope she will enjoy what remains of her dream (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?trailname=1416), carry the memories of it as long as she lives and cherish them as one of her most valued possessions.

emerald
09-09-2007, 14:27
Now that he's returned to Maine, Paul Bunyan may want to fell a few pines to relive the days of old. I'm not worried about him catching up and Blissful will do fine without him for a bit, I'm sure.

I trust Ferryman to convey Blissful across the mighty Kennebec River, but will be relieved to hear she has reached Caratunk safely. It's a dangerous crossing under the best of circumstances and not everyone knows why (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=205102&postcount=20).

When I hear she's safe, l should send Ferryman a pic of the Rockville Bridge to hang on his wall to thank him for his tireless efforts on behalf of A.T. hikers.

It really burned my butt when the permit to transport it to Caratunk via I95 was denied. The trail clubs were ready, capable and willing. He'll want to retire at some time and should be able to retire knowing all hikers will have a safe crossing.;)

Those who don't know what the last paragraph is about can read my post (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=347688&postcount=12), the late Moxie's reply (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=347785&postcount=16), my follow-up (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=347830&postcount=17) and, please, note the date of the posts.:)

Blissful
09-19-2007, 12:07
We finished!!! Summited yesterday under a gorgeous day. Hard to believe. Thanks everyone for thinking of us and praying for us.

Gaiter
09-19-2007, 12:10
congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

hiker5
09-19-2007, 12:20
Congratulations!

The Old Fhart
09-19-2007, 12:31
Congratulations, Blissful!!

I enjoyed meeting you at the hiker feed near Flagstaff Lake and hope that helped you along the way. The huge A. T. cookie is always a hit. WalkinHome is the person behind that event and a number of us gladly help him out.

peanuts
09-19-2007, 14:35
congratulations!!!! blissful and paul bunyan!!:banana:banana:banana:banana

emerald
09-19-2007, 16:04
Will we hear from the mighty lumberjack now that he's completed the A.T. and can we count on him for assistance with maintaining the A.T. now that he's done hiking, or is he?:-?

Joey
09-23-2007, 20:33
Congrats Blissful and PB on realizing your dream!!

woodsy
09-26-2007, 15:50
Will we hear from the mighty lumberjack now that he's completed the A.T. and can we count on him for assistance with maintaining the A.T. now that he's done hiking, or is he?:-?

Congrats team Bliss!
It appears that Paul Bunyan has taken up residence in a town near Andover, Maine. His thru hike has gained him not only great stature (http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p200/woodsy2007/100_1777-1.jpg) but by the looks of his Axe also a full time job choppin Maine Pine Trees!

Woodsy

emerald
09-26-2007, 16:42
It appears that Paul Bunyan has taken up residence in a town near Andover, Maine. His thru hike has gained him not only great stature (http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p200/woodsy2007/100_1777-1.jpg) but by the looks of his Axe also a full time job choppin Maine Pine Trees!

Woodsy

Last I heard he was seen just across the Penobscot from Bangor. He sure does get around!:D

Now that he's returned to his former self, I suppose we won't be hearing from him. A man like Paul Bunyan doesn't have time for silly internet games when there are pine trees to chop.

Blissful
09-26-2007, 19:03
Last I heard he was seen just across the Penobscot from Bangor. He sure does get around!:D

Now that he's returned to his former self, I suppose we won't be hearing from him. A man like Paul Bunyan doesn't have time for silly internet games when there are pine trees to chop.

No, you probably won't hear from him. He just got his first job this week - he will be working at the nearby SPCA several days a week and is all excited about it.

and I'm excited and surprised too - my book editor just put a blurb about my hike on her daily blog. It's the last paragraph under "Back to the Old Grind"
http://www.editcafe.blogspot.com/

I also sent out some press releases to our papers and TV places, nothing back yet.

Blissful
09-26-2007, 19:09
I also sent out some press releases to our papers and TV places, nothing back yet.

Hey Ferryman - I'm trying to go beyond White Blaze and get famous. ha ha (remembering our conversation on the Kennebec)

emerald
09-26-2007, 23:57
Please tell Joshua I wish him well with his newest adventure.