PDA

View Full Version : Books on the AT

WILKEBEAST
08-10-2003, 07:51
I am looking to thru-hike the AT in the next couple years. And i am wondering if y'all could make any suggestions on some up to date books on the AT. Books on preping for the hike or people"s personal experiences doing the hike would be great. Seems like the only books i can find are from before 1995, I would think there would be more out there. Anyhelp is highly appreciated!

WILKEBEAST

jigsaw
08-10-2003, 08:09
check out trailjournals.com for peoples expierences. use whiteblaze members for any questions.

poison_ivy
08-10-2003, 08:30
I'll second the trailjournals suggestion... you'll learn a lot from the thru-hikers that post there. :)

One book I really enjoyed was J.R. "Model-T" Tate's Walkin on the Happy Side of Misery. Although I disliked the "alter-ego" stuff in the book, it gave a very nitty-gritty account of the trail.

Another book that has been recommended to me dozens of times is "On the Beaten Path" -- I haven't read it yet though so I can't really comment on it.

Happy hikin!
-- Ivy

illininagel
08-10-2003, 09:30
I've just finished reading five books about the AT, in the following order:

1- A Walk in the Woods, by Bill Bryson: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail
2- As Far as the Eye Can See, by David Brill
3- On the Beaten Path: An Appalachian Pilgrimage, by Robert Rubin
4- Mountain Adventure: Exploring the Appalachian Trail, by Ron Fisher
5- Walkin' On the Happy Side of Misery: A Slice of Life on the Appalachian Trail, by Julius Tate

And, "The Appalachian Trail Backpacker, by Frank Logue (2001) is next on my list, along with "Long Distance Hiking", by Roland Mueser.

Of the books that I've read so far, I highly recommend all but Ron Fisher's book (although it wasn't bad).

Although David Brill's hike is not current, it motivated me to learn more about the trail and thru-hiking. I thought Bill Bryson and J.R. Tate's books were very funny. J.R. Tate's book is current and provides a very realistic accounting of life on the trail (from what I hear). Bryson's is good for pure entertainment value---and to learn how not to do a thru-hike. I also like On the Beaten Path, although it was a little too close to a trail journal for my liking.

One last thing---if you are interested in saving money, consider using your local library. I reserved ALL of these books through the internet from my local library. If they don't have it, they get it or borrow it from another library at no charge to me. I'm sure most libraries offer the same service. They just call me when it is ready for pick-up. Convenient and free!

Mt. Slayer
11-18-2003, 00:59
I am looking to thru-hike the AT in the next couple years. And i am wondering if y'all could make any suggestions on some up to date books on the AT. Books on preping for the hike or people"s personal experiences doing the hike would be great. Seems like the only books i can find are from before 1995, I would think there would be more out there. Anyhelp is highly appreciated!

WILKEBEAST
WILKEBEAST,
May I humbly suggest my recently published book on the AT entitled, "White Blaze Fever." I wrote the book with future thru hikers in mind. As I take the reader as my "hiking partner" on my thru hike.
I also included over 100 "hiker tips" for the first time thru hiker.
Book can be obtained at: www.Virtualbookworm.com
or contact me, Mt. Slayer.
I have included one of the many positive reviews of my book I have received.

Compelling nitty gritty of an Appalachian Trail thru-hike, September 4, 2003
Reviewer: backpack45 (see more about me) from Oakland, CA United States
For the first time, I think I understand what it's like to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. This is a day by day journal of Bill (Mountain Slayer) Schuette's thru-hike in 2000. - 2167 miles from March 28th to August 28th, at the age of 51. Bill is a retired high school principal, who was hooked by the thru-hiking bug, when he and his wife were checking into a lodge and saw a thru-hiker stagger in, dirty, smelly, exhausted.

White Blaze Fever gets its name from the white blazes used to mark the route of the AT. The regional trails usually have blue blazes, and work their way reasonably around a mountain. the AT with its white blazes, goes over the top.

Every three to five pages, there is an italicized paragraph or two inserted, with various hiker tips for doing the trail. This gives the reader a useful break - read the tip, then back on the trail again.

By the time you reach the end of the book, you will have a good sense of what equipment works and doesn't work, and what you are getting into. This book makes you realize that this is very much a group experience. Shelter conversations, stories referring to hikers by their trailnames, shared misery and triumphs pay a large part in this book. You also learn something about the terrain, and a small dose of history.

I strongly recommend reading this if you have any intention of thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail. Try to read it several months before you go.

steve hiker
11-18-2003, 01:08
My favorite AT book is "As Far As The Eye Can See," by David Brill.

There was another thread on good AT books, with 61 replies. Check it out:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10&highlight=books

Lone Wolf
11-18-2003, 03:57
"Murder on the Appalachian Trail" is a good one. It chronicles the double murder at Wapiti shelter in Virginia just south of Pearisburg.

SedentarySteve
11-18-2003, 08:05
Wilkebeast, I have two completed manuscripts about the AT class of 2002. Tales of the Trail - It's a Trip is conversations with 360 hikers in Duncannon, Pa, and Trail Talk extracts quotes and vignettes from those interviews and arranges them into 91 topics, ie Why am I Hiking, What has the AT taught me, etc. I hope to find a publisher soon. I certainly owe it to all you hikers. Sedentary Steve

alpine
11-18-2003, 09:44
with drawn

asmtroop3
11-18-2003, 13:46
I'll second the trailjournals suggestion... you'll learn a lot from the thru-hikers that post there. :)

One book I really enjoyed was J.R. "Model-T" Tate's Walkin on the Happy Side of Misery. Although I disliked the "alter-ego" stuff in the book, it gave a very nitty-gritty account of the trail.

Another book that has been recommended to me dozens of times is "On the Beaten Path" -- I haven't read it yet though so I can't really comment on it.

Happy hikin!
-- Ivy

I really want to read this book but until I can find it in a cost effective form, ($28 plus shipping for the paperback) I consider it not required reading.

illininagel
11-18-2003, 14:50
I really want to read this book but until I can find it in a cost effective form, ($28 plus shipping for the paperback) I consider it not required reading.

I don't know if this helps, but I borrowed this book from my local library. Most libraries offer internet reservation services. I simply made an internet request for the book. Since my library didn't own a copy, they secured one from another local library.

The library then called me to tell me they were holding it for me. All this FREE of charge!

I can't remember the last time I purchased a book. Why not use the library? I help to support it through my taxes.

asmtroop3
11-18-2003, 17:22
I don't know if this helps, but I borrowed this book from my local library. Most libraries offer internet reservation services. I simply made an internet request for the book. Since my library didn't own a copy, they secured one from another local library.

The library then called me to tell me they were holding it for me. All this FREE of charge!

I can't remember the last time I purchased a book. Why not use the library? I help to support it through my taxes.

Not a bad idea if you consistantly read a book in a short period of time.
I routinely use and abuse a book over months, reading in short intervals.
I teach and get sick of reading. I have to wait til I sometimes get to the woods to enjoy it again.

Some day I'll get to it. It sounds like a great read.

Dee
11-18-2003, 18:38
Since you are looking for most current books, White Blaze Fever by William Schuette was just published this year. I found his book full of information and accurate in details.

illininagel
11-18-2003, 19:00
Not a bad idea if you consistantly read a book in a short period of time.
I routinely use and abuse a book over months, reading in short intervals.
I teach and get sick of reading. I have to wait til I sometimes get to the woods to enjoy it again.

Some day I'll get to it. It sounds like a great read.

Makes sense. Our library only allows me to take one month to read a book. That's two weeks plus one renewal.

I doubt if this helps much, but here is a Amazon link where the book is available for just less than $22...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/list/-/1401020410/all/ref=lp_g_1/104-6377311-2538306

Campfire
11-18-2003, 19:02
I would highly recommend “Walking The Appalachian Trail” by Larry Luxenberg.

It encompasses everything from history to individual stories. I can’t put it down.

altec
11-20-2003, 22:10
My favorite AT book is "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. It is a side-splitting humor book, but has a wealth of information about the AT as well, and should help you to prep somewhat, as long as you read other source too.

Best Wishes,
Tray

barefoothiker
11-20-2003, 22:54
I know a few people have stated this already but I will put my plug in for David Brill's As far as the Eye Can See. He did some revisions that appears in the current version, he added a few thoughts from his reunion hike. But this book is outstanding.
For prepping I found The Appalachian Trail Backpacker helpful as well.
Good luck and happy hiking!

PAX

Dan G.

Rain Man
11-21-2003, 10:18
I know a few people have stated this already but I will put my plug in for David Brill's As far as the Eye Can See.

I just finished this book last night and recommended it to my daughter who is thinking of thru-hiking in '04. I thought it was great, with very introspective moments, not just weather, temperatures, and elevation data.

Rain Man

Rain Man
11-21-2003, 10:32
My favorite AT book is "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. It is a side-splitting humor book, but has a wealth of information about the AT as well, and should help you to prep somewhat, as long as you read other source too.

AMEN to all that. A real side-splitter for sure! It's what got me interested in the AT.

Also a hint... you can check out this book on tape from your local public library. I just did and it's great to listen to while driving. I'm looking forward to next week's 7-hour drive "over the hill and through the woods to Grandma's house" for Thanksgiving. The time passes much faster while listening to a good book on tape. :)

Rain Man