PDA

View Full Version : Water and Sassafras Mountain

Almost There
03-08-2007, 02:36
Was reading some journals of WBers and noticed that once again people ran out of water on this mountain. Load up on water at Hawk Mountain, I know the water source is not close to the shelter, but trust me, you want the water, your next good source will not be until Justis Creek...I also know that some here will say...learn the hard way, screw that, you have months on the trail to go, take this lesson as a gift...and yes, I ran out of water too, my first time out over Sassafras...it sucked, thank god for Boy Scouts and trail magic on the other side.

maxNcathy
03-08-2007, 08:57
Thanks.

Sandalwood

VictoriaM
03-08-2007, 16:22
Just made that mistake. It was a long, hot five miles to the next source with an empty water bag.

Almost There
03-08-2007, 18:38
Just made that mistake. It was a long, hot five miles to the next source with an empty water bag.

Yeah, you were one of the people I saw that did this, in fact, you spurred me to post this reminder, hope you're doing well out there!

Lilred
03-08-2007, 19:37
I made the same mistake. It's deceiveing because of the numerous times you cross water just before Sassafrass. I got comfortable with the amount of available water and skipped the last spring before that big climb. Fortunately, I had an apple with me, and that helped a lot. I carry apples with me often now. And I rarely let myself get much below a litre of water.

Ewker
03-08-2007, 20:28
Thanks for the info on this. I marked my map to load up with water at Hawk Mtn. Shelter.

lilred, thanks for the info on the numerous water crossing before you start the climb up Sassafras. That will remind me to fill up again

Almost There
03-09-2007, 00:23
Thanks for the info on this. I marked my map to load up with water at Hawk Mtn. Shelter.

lilred, thanks for the info on the numerous water crossing before you start the climb up Sassafras. That will remind me to fill up again

Ewker, she's talking about the water you are walking along all the way to Three Forks, after this you will only see water at Hawk Mountain until Justis Creek. There is a hidden spring between these two but good luck finding it, and if it's dry during the season it isn't there. Two liters of water loaded at Hawk Mountain will get you to Justis Creek...no problem.

Ewker
03-09-2007, 10:37
thanks for clearing that up

Michele
03-09-2007, 11:41
Great tip...thanks. I HATE running out of water and I'm a big drinker (of water that is LOL), so I appreciate the insight.

Almost There
03-09-2007, 12:55
I'll be out there hiking Springer to Neel's for a shakedown starting March 31st.

veteran
03-09-2007, 16:33
Go to this Link (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11992&highlight=Sassafras+Mountain) and read post # 7.

max patch
03-09-2007, 16:36
Go to this Link (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11992&highlight=Sassafras+Mountain) and read post # 7.

And while you're at it read post number 8.

Almost There
03-09-2007, 19:13
And while you're at it read post number 8.

Yeah, I was too lazy to reference the thread I started last year, but although you won't die in five miles, why suffer if you don't have to.:D