PDA

View Full Version : Need a campsite near Deep Gap, Va

Midway Sam
03-08-2007, 11:00
My son and I will be doing a Soutbound section hike from Massie Gap to Damascus in a few weeks. I need a campsite for the first nite, preferably 3 miles or so South of Thomas Knob shelter.

I see in another post that there used to be a shelter at Deep Gap but that it was removed and camping in the area was prohibited. Is this still the case? If so, and other good "legal" campsites in that area?

Thanks in advance,

Tabasco
03-08-2007, 11:06
Sam:

I stayed on at White Top Mtn Rd camp site, mentioned in 2006 Wingfoot, on New Years Eve. Good tent sites all around, spring nearby too.

In wingfoot's book, it's listed as mile # 480.8.

That's approx 10 miles from Massie Gap headed SB.

Almost got blown over the next morning hiking over White Top, winds around 60 mph.

Midway Sam
03-08-2007, 11:09
Sam:

I stayed on at White Top Mtn Rd camp site, mentioned in 2006 Wingfoot, on New Years Eve. Good tent sites all around, spring nearby too.

In wingfoot's book, it's listed as mile # 480.8.

That's approx 10 miles from Massie Gap headed SB.

Almost got blown over the next morning hiking over White Top, winds around 60 mph.

Is that FS 89 or VA 600? I'm not sure my son will be up for 10 miles the first day, but he may surprise me.

Lone Wolf
03-08-2007, 11:11
My son and I will be doing a Soutbound section hike from Massie Gap to Damascus in a few weeks. I need a campsite for the first nite, preferably 3 miles or so South of Thomas Knob shelter.

I see in another post that there used to be a shelter at Deep Gap but that it was removed and camping in the area was prohibited. Is this still the case? If so, and other good "legal" campsites in that area?

Thanks in advance,

past the gap a mile or so you can find some flat spots for camping. get water at deep gap. great piped spring

Tabasco
03-08-2007, 11:13
It's FS 89. VA 600 is Elk Garden.

Lone Wolf
03-08-2007, 11:16
if you make it to VA 600, just past the parking lot in the woods there's good camp spots. about 200 yds. up the trail is good water.

Midway Sam
03-08-2007, 11:16
past the gap a mile or so you can find some flat spots for camping. get water at deep gap. great piped spring

Sounds perfect LW. Once again, thanks for the info.

Midway Sam
03-08-2007, 11:23
if you make it to VA 600, just past the parking lot in the woods there's good camp spots. about 200 yds. up the trail is good water.
The original plan was for a late shuttle to Massie Gap and a short hike to Thomas Knob for the first day. Second day was going to be Thomas Knob to Lost Mountain. However, now I'm thinking a little more mileage the first day and a little less the second would be better.