PDA

View Full Version : Lithium Batteries?

vaporjourney
03-08-2007, 12:03
Does anyone else use lithium batteries for their camera? They are much much more expensive than typical alkalines, but are said to last longer. If any of you guys use them, how long do you find that they last? I like the fact that they weigh less and last longer, but if they only last twice as long as alkalines (which isnt long anyway), then i dont think they are worth 3x the price.

Footslogger
03-08-2007, 12:10
Have been for quite a while. Last a lot longer but they do cost more than Alkalines ...almost double unless you can find them on sale.

'Slogger

Buckles
03-08-2007, 13:07
I've been using them for quite a while. I get 3x to 4x out of them in my digital camera.

FYI - Don't use them in your headlamp until you check the manufacturer's specifications. Headlamps with LEDs can be damaged by using lithium batteries.

vaporjourney
03-08-2007, 13:51
oh, thanks for the headlamp tip buckles. I checked, and it is recommended to avoid lithium with my Tikka Plus headlamp. Bummer. I wonder if NiMH is ok?

I just found a link online that said the Lithium disposables last longer than rechargeable NiMH, which i currently use. Thats good. I guess I"ll take the plunge and buy some today

K-Man
03-08-2007, 14:11
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit here, but it is somewhat related. Are there any postal restrictions about mailing lithium batteries that any one knows about? I ordered some cr123 batteries from thomas-distributing.com and their website said that they need to be mailed by fed-ex or ups only not usps. Thoughts?

Only 10 days until I leave for GA...WOO HOO!!!

Sly
03-08-2007, 15:05
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit here, but it is somewhat related. Are there any postal restrictions about mailing lithium batteries that any one knows about? I ordered some cr123 batteries from thomas-distributing.com and their website said that they need to be mailed by fed-ex or ups only not usps. Thoughts?

Probably something to do the Dell laptop lithium battery explosions.

Another question, will Canon cameras allow for lithium batteries? I only see two choices in the book, either alkaline of NiMh rechargeables. Besides weight, are lithiums more cost effective in the long run?

bulldog49
03-08-2007, 15:36
[QUOTE=vaporjourney;335483]oh, thanks for the headlamp tip buckles. I checked, and it is recommended to avoid lithium with my Tikka Plus headlamp. Bummer. I wonder if NiMH is ok?

I just found a link online that said the Lithium disposables last longer than rechargeable NiMH, which i currently use. Thats good. I guess I"ll take the plunge and buy some today[/QUOTE

I wasn't aware of the reommendation aginst lithium batteries for the Tikka. I've used the same lithium batteries in my Tikka for over two years and haven't had any problems.

Mrs Baggins
03-08-2007, 15:40
We just put new lithiums in our camera and our MP3s. For the price they had better last alot longer! :-?

bulldog49
03-08-2007, 15:40

I bought lithium batteries online from Backpacking Light and they were sent to me through the mail.

Mother Nature
03-08-2007, 15:46
I have a Canon PowerShot that I use on the trail. My Canon uses 2 AA batteries and I use the lithiums. I always have the display feature "on" and I find that the lithium batteries last for weeks.

I bought them in a bulk pack at Sams.

MN

jlb2012
03-08-2007, 15:47
oh, thanks for the headlamp tip buckles. I checked, and it is recommended to avoid lithium with my Tikka Plus headlamp. Bummer.
I wasn't aware of the reommendation aginst lithium batteries for the Tikka. I've used the same lithium batteries in my Tikka for over two years and haven't had any problems.

bulldog49 - you got lucky - lithium batteries are not recommended for any headlamp that is not regulated because the lithium batteries have a lower internal resistance than the alkalines - lower resistance = higher current = brighter LED = more heat build-up in LED assembly = early death of LED

I messed up an Aurora headlamp using lithiums - I now use a Quad which is regulated and can use the lithium batteries.

Anyone want an Aurora with an annoying blinking LED ? (j/k)

Footslogger
03-08-2007, 16:24
[quote=vaporjourney;335483]

=================================

Same here ...maybe even longer than 2 years without any observable problems.

'Slogger

Chache
03-08-2007, 16:42
Anyone know if its a problem in the Princeton tec EOS?

bulldog49
03-08-2007, 17:22
*******49 - you got lucky - lithium batteries are not recommended for any headlamp that is not regulated because the lithium batteries have a lower internal resistance than the alkalines - lower resistance = higher current = brighter LED = more heat build-up in LED assembly = early death of LED

I messed up an Aurora headlamp using lithiums - I now use a Quad which is regulated and can use the lithium batteries.

Anyone want an Aurora with an annoying blinking LED ? (j/k)

Well, I don't think I've ever had my headlamp on for more than 5 minutes at a time. That may not be long enough for the heat build-up you mention. I've never noticed any discernable heat from the lamp when I turn it off.

vaporjourney
03-08-2007, 17:34
I have a Canon PowerShot that I use on the trail. My Canon uses 2 AA batteries and I use the lithiums. I always have the display feature "on" and I find that the lithium batteries last for weeks.

This is nice to hear, since I'm using a Canon Powershot as well, and am about to switch over to lithiums for my thru. Do you have the A70 by chance?

jlb2012
03-08-2007, 17:38
Anyone know if its a problem in the Princeton tec EOS?

IMO the EOS is Ok for lithium batteries because it is regulated - I have one but I don't use it much due to the rather tight beam pattern - I prefer the Quad's beam pattern because it has a larger angle of illumination - EOS throws its light farther but what I mostly want to see is within 20 feet of me when I am hiking or in camp.

swift
03-08-2007, 19:45
an even more important reason to use lithiums is that they maintain a contstant ouput to -40 degrees. As the temp drops, alkaline batteries' output decreases as well. At +20 degrees alkaline output is significantly compromised. Ni Mh batteries fare even worse in cold temps.

kyhiker1
03-08-2007, 20:11
Does anyone else use lithium batteries for their camera? They are much much more expensive than typical alkalines, but are said to last longer. If any of you guys use them, how long do you find that they last? I like the fact that they weigh less and last longer, but if they only last twice as long as alkalines (which isnt long anyway), then i dont think they are worth 3x the price.
I have been using lithium batteries in my digital camera for nearly 9 months now.They will last 3x to 4x longer.If you have time to shop a little you can find them on sale at a decent price.I usually buy extra when I find them on sale.

hopefulhiker
03-08-2007, 20:27
Definetely Lithium,, if you can afford them... not available everywhere...

Mother Nature
03-08-2007, 21:11
This is nice to hear, since I'm using a Canon Powershot as well, and am about to switch over to lithiums for my thru. Do you have the A70 by chance?

Mine is a Canon Powershot A510A. It's my first digital camera and I have been happy with it. I haven't quite figured out lighting issues but I'm not creating pictures for National Geograhic. :p

Are you hiking 2007?

MN

vaporjourney
03-09-2007, 04:26
Are you hiking 2007?
MN

yup...i'm starting next saturday, march 17th! Lithium batteries and all to capture the tiny view on Springer.

Mother Nature
03-09-2007, 08:49
I am just going to miss meeting you by one day! My husband, Smokestack, will be starting on Sunday March 18. I am going to head out with him for the first 100+ miles to Franklin, NC.

I know that at my speed I will never run into you with a day's head start on me. :p

Have a great trip!

MN

hammock engineer
03-09-2007, 11:40
Probably something to do the Dell laptop lithium battery explosions.

Another question, will Canon cameras allow for lithium batteries? I only see two choices in the book, either alkaline of NiMh rechargeables. Besides weight, are lithiums more cost effective in the long run?

I have been using the same set of 4 AA lithium batteries in my Canon power shot A620 since October. 500+ pics and countless reviews and downloads latter they are still going strong. What my camera lacks in lightweight it makes up for in battery life.

Sly
03-09-2007, 11:50
I have been using the same set of 4 AA lithium batteries in my Canon power shot A620 since October. 500+ pics and countless reviews and downloads latter they are still going strong. What my camera lacks in lightweight it makes up for in battery life.

Thanks, maybe I'll pick some up.

Footslogger
03-09-2007, 12:22
Thanks, maybe I'll pick some up.

===================================

Sly,

The AA Lithiums have a reported 10 year shelf life and sometimes the deals are better if you buy in volume. Difference might be the shipping cost but it never hurts to check. Prices vary a lot on the AA Lithiums. If I'm in a hurry I just check the weekend newspaper for a coupon (Kmart,Walmart, ACE Hardware, True Value Hardware etc)

Here's a very reputable place I've dealt with in the past:

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/enr-l91bp-4.htm#top

'Slogger

Sly
03-09-2007, 13:01
Anyone know the the normal price is in stores? If I order 3- 4 packs online at the above link it comes to $30 with shipping.

Footslogger
03-09-2007, 13:18
Anyone know the the normal price is in stores? If I order 3- 4 packs online at the above link it comes to $30 with shipping.

===================================

Bought a 4-Pack at Walmart last weekend for $10 ($9.99) plus tax. That's about the best price I've ever seen at the retail level. Like I said ...watch for a coupon. Have seen $1 off coupons pretty frequently for Walmart and ACE Hardware.

'Slogger

Sly
03-09-2007, 13:33
Thanks but, I'd rather order online than shop at Walmart! Plus, this way I save sales tax. Use this link for Thomas Distributing and save an additional 5%.

http://thomas-distributing.com/sd/

Just click enter store...

Footslogger
03-09-2007, 13:37
Thanks but, I'd rather order online than shop at Walmart! Plus, this way I save sales tax. Use this link for Thomas Distributing and save an additional 5%.

http://thomas-distributing.com/sd/

Just click enter store...

==============================

I agree ...but in a pinch I make an exception. That Thomas outfit is great to work with. Have bought a lot from them, including rechargeables and a charger (for other electronic stuff I use). Plus, your delivery will come with a $$ off coupon for your next purchase.

Beats tracking around town trying to find the best deal !!

'Slogger

Trailwind
03-14-2007, 16:03
I hadn't heard anything but recommendations to use lithium batteries since they last so much longer. I wrote Princeton Tec and here's their response about using lithium batteries in an Aurora.

Dennis,
Yep he's right. DO NOT USE LITHIUMS IN THE AURORA!
This is because the Aurora is not current regulated. Lithiums could potentially blow out the LED's in the Aurora. If you have any further questions feel free to contact us anytime.

Thanks,
Sid

Sly
03-14-2007, 16:09
The lithium battery application manual...

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/lithiuml91l92_appman.pdf

Footslogger
03-14-2007, 16:15
Have had them in an old Aurora for a while now. It's in the glove compartment. Guess I'd better go see if I smoked the LED's

'Slogger

Sly
03-14-2007, 16:18
Hey am I reading the document correctly, no lithium batteries on planes? Does that include carry on?

Sly
03-14-2007, 16:27
I think I found my answer page 9 As far as I can tell they can't be loose and subject to short circuit

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/Oct%202006%20pax%20&%20crew%20chart.pdf

Footslogger
03-14-2007, 16:31
I think I found my answer page 9 As far as I can tell they can't be loose and subject to short circuit

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/Oct%202006%20pax%20&%20crew%20chart.pdf

=================================

Whew ...sweating bullets there for a minute. Have carried them on planes several times !!

'Slogger

Sly
03-14-2007, 16:37
Yeah, I just got a couple packs from Thomas's. Besides having the plane blow up, I'd hate to lose $20 worth of batteries!

Footslogger
03-14-2007, 16:45
Yeah, I just got a couple packs from Thomas's. Besides having the plane blow up, I'd hate to lose $20 worth of batteries!

================================

We all gotta have priorities !!

'Slogger

quicktoez
03-14-2007, 16:56
I love these batteries and I think in the long run since they say they last (7 x longer but really maybe 3 x longer) and are 1/3 lighter not only are they almost as cheap as a good alkaline but their weight verses power is around 25% of what a few (3 or 4 to 1 lith) copper top that last the same time (in electronic devices) would do. Besides if your Bi-polar and you run out of meds you can eat a few, right?

G.H.O.S.T.
03-15-2007, 08:53
Another recomindation for the lithiums. I have been using the same two in my Easy Share from Springer and I am over 1500 pics. I turned the screen off except for the 2 second review after taking a pic and have been amazed how long they have lasted.

vaporjourney
03-15-2007, 10:07
I wish I could do what you did GHOST and turn the screen off, but I"ve noticed that the viewfinder doesn't give the entire view of the picture, just a portion. I wish I could remember the percentage of the image that the viewfinder shows, and then the screen shows 100%. DSLR's are the only cameras that allow you to view the whole frame thru the viewfinder, without relying on the screen. The screen is definitely the main thief of battery power. I plan on actually viewing the pics the least amount as possible, unless I need to clear some space on my memory card.

G.H.O.S.T.
03-15-2007, 17:03
The easy share does the same thing, not showing the entire picture, but it dosn't take long to learn how much extra will be in the pic and frame the shot how you want.

strnorm
03-15-2007, 20:36
Have them in both camera and gps, since xmas have used both a lot when hiking or geocaching. still going strong. only way to go:sun